PDA

View Full Version : Just Part of racing at Waterford?

KH0429
03-29-2010, 11:44 AM
This past weekend was my first time at Waterford, the only division I noticed it in was the MRS. Was it just me or was Coby running EVERYONE extremely high on restarts. I thought Pennick was going into the fence a couple of times. Mckennedy had the same problem with him. Just seemed like if you got to his outside he ran you up to the 3rd groove or worse.

Thanks,
Jeff.

Jaws
03-29-2010, 02:26 PM
Hard to tell from the infield but with the speedy dry alone that was put down on Sunday it must have been hard to hold a line in those corners.

But I think only Doug Coby could answer that question.

MJProcko
03-29-2010, 04:58 PM
Not a bad job by Coby, I didn't think he abused the running up the track to much. Now I think Waterford could have spent an hour on the trackside puddles in the morning and saved us about 200 caution laps (about 75 in the MRS race alone) in the freezing cold . Along with a better finish if cars weren't running out of gas. The only thing rivaling the caution laps was the amount of different cliche's the announcer could toss out there.

I talked my friend into sitting in the cold with me for his first MRS race using the standard MRS fan boilerplate "100 green flag laps" "way cheaper than the WMT" "shorter races" etc. On the way home in the car warming up he said "you owe me a WMT race considering it's only 3 bucks more for the icebreaker and that 100 plus caution laps and 100 green flag laps does not equal a short race."

All in all he was right but they did put on a much better show than the last time I saw them at Thompson. Waterford really needs to get it's act together if they want to save that track from becoming a WalMart.

Jaws
03-29-2010, 05:21 PM
Waterford spent a lot of time pumping water all weekend, the track sits right next to a big swamp and this was the rainiest March on record. There was no sun all day to dry the track either. I think the track crew did a great job given the circumstances.

Come back on August when the the MRS along with ISMA return, it will be a good show.

Howie
03-29-2010, 05:53 PM
Now I think Waterford could have spent an hour on the trackside puddles in the morning and saved us about 200 caution laps (about 75 in the MRS race alone) in the freezing cold . Along with a better finish if cars weren't running out of gas. The only thing rivaling the caution laps was the amount of different cliche's the announcer could toss out there.

Waterford really needs to get it's act together if they want to save that track from becoming a WalMart.

There is a lot more to fixing the water problem than just saying what you've stated. Water has always been a BIG problem there. They have done a lot trying to eliminate the problem over the years, but they are limited as to what they can do. With all the rain they received before this weekend, they were "shoveling against the tide". It isn't as easy as "spend an hour on the trackside puddles in the morning". The water table is VERY high there, the water just keeps seeping in. They were pumping the track, but the water just seeps back in. The track sits on top of an aquifer and the EPA (or some agency like that) has to approve everything they do there. I remember in the past, after a heavy rain the water ran like a brook off the hill across the street, down the driveway, in the pit gate and out onto the track, flooding it. I think about the only thing that might help would be to build a 5 or 10 foot hill and put the track on top of it, so it could drain. :)

Armadasx
03-29-2010, 11:38 PM
Im not sure if the announcer did this during the features on sunday because i watched the race from the pits,but on saturday he refered to the MRS as the True Value Modifieds.I believe it was when Norm wren spun down in turn4 that he brought some water up onto the track.Once they laid down speedy dry and were having the cars drive over it every car but Mckennedy was driving over it.

SUfan
03-30-2010, 09:47 AM
Im not sure if the announcer did this during the features on sunday because i watched the race from the pits,but on saturday he refered to the MRS as the True Value Modifieds.I believe it was when Norm wren spun down in turn4 that he brought some water up onto the track.Once they laid down speedy dry and were having the cars drive over it every car but Mckennedy was driving over it.

That wasn't the MRS announcer. The local track announcer made the error on that one. I heard the MRS announcer talking about Valentiautomall.com on a regular basis. Some not around the MRS still haven't gotten True Value out of their heads yet. And I don't recall seeing the McKennedy deal you are claiming either, and it was right in front of where I was sitting.

Howie
03-30-2010, 04:15 PM
If you thought the water was bad Sunday, take a look at what it looks like today! Glen Thomas took the picture from the 3rd and 4th turn. I tried to go down to try and get a picture but the road is closed from Salem 4 Corners to beyond the track. Good luck to the folks that have to go that way home, and everyone else battling flooding right now.

Gil
03-30-2010, 04:48 PM
Thanks for posting. Reminds me of the days of boat racing!

JED
03-30-2010, 05:29 PM
Yes, that part of the state has been hit very hard. A terrible natural disaster.

stoningtonmodmania
03-30-2010, 06:07 PM
it dosent suprise me it would be u nder water i live 10min away and my basement is nw an under water fish layer.. hopoefully it will dry up by satnight:lol:

Jaws
03-30-2010, 07:38 PM
Riverhead Raceway on Long Island is completely flooded.

Gil
03-30-2010, 10:37 PM
At least it isn't Long Island or Manhattan Island yet!

:wave: