PDA

View Full Version : Universe Racing Names Alex’s Lemonade Stand as Official Team Charity

LongIslandJam
04-07-2010, 07:47 PM
BERWICK, PA- Universe Racing and driver Steve Fox are proud to announce the Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation as the official team charity this season. Founded by the late Alexandria “Alex” Scott, who passed away from cancer at the age of 8, the charity was designed to help find a cure for children who suffer from cancer.

Shortly before her first birthday, Alex was diagnosed with neuroblastoma, a type of childhood cancer. By her second birthday, Alex was crawling and able to stand up with leg braces. She worked hard to gain strength and to learn how to walk. She appeared to be beating the odds, until the shattering discovery within the next year that her tumors had started growing again. In the year 2000, the day after her fourth birthday, Alex received a stem cell transplant and informed her mother, "When I get out of the hospital I want to have a lemonade stand”. She said she wanted to give the money to the doctors to help them find a cure. True to her word, she held her first lemonade stand later that year and raised an amazing $2000 for what she called "her hospital”.

Throughout the latter stages of her battle with the horrible disease, Alex had raised over $1 million to help find a cure. Alex's family-including brothers Patrick, Eddie, and Joey and supporters are committed to continuing her inspiring legacy through Alex's Lemonade Stand Foundation.

Supporting the effort that Alex started nearly ten years ago, Fox, of Hazelton, PA instantly decided to donate to the cause through his racing efforts. In conjunction with Universe Racing, Fox promised to donate $1 for each lap that he completes while driving the Universe Racing/FireHouse Dodge Charger in ARCA Racing Series prented by RE/MAX and Menards this season. Aside from the nationally acclaimed series Fox also competes in the populat Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) road racing events and plans to match the same amount for those races as well.

“I’m very fortunate to have the opportunities that I do in racing”, said Fox. “As soon as I heard about Alex’s Lemonade Stand I knew that this would be the charity that the race team and I need to not only support, but also help promote”. He continued, “Working with Alex’s family on such a great cause is an honor”.

Alex's Lemonade Stand provides a meaningful and fun way to make a difference in the lives of others. As Alex once said, "holding your own Alex's Lemonade Stand is easy and fun!" It is also an inspiring way for caring people of all ages to support our mission of curing childhood cancer, one cup at a time!

Please visit www.alexslemonade.org to read more regarding Alex’s Lemonade Stand. Donations are accepted through the website. Universe Racing can also be visited on the web at www.universeracing.net. You may also connect with both organizations through Facebook.