PDA

View Full Version : Why???

CAPTAIN
04-12-2010, 10:47 AM
Why do we need so much water on the track ???? Saturday night races do not get that much water. I understand some water to keep the dust down, but come on, that was retarded. If i wanted to race on a slick track, then i would have went to a slick track race. We all paid for a 100 lap race, and we only got to race about80 laps. Joe neets, please address this issue with the track. If there are puddles on the track, then that is too much water!!!!

dirtmodfan
04-12-2010, 10:50 AM
I agree. I don't know why the race had to be stopped to water again. I didn't think the dust was that bad.

Anyone else agree?

:cheers:

Poppop
04-12-2010, 10:57 AM
:cool:The first ten laps are wasted cause you are only "running in" the track, except for a few low speed fender benders. Then the inside groove gets dry enough for some racing but if you go to the outside you better be ready to hit the wall. Check out how many got a taste of the turn four to front stretch section.:lol:

CJfilms
04-12-2010, 11:06 AM
Pre-race water:
Kenny puts down enough water to keep the race moving without having to return out for a second watering....sometimes, it is a little excessive, but most times it is a decent amount. Captain, you are right though, if there are puddles, it is too much. I will talk to Kenny about this.

The Lap 60 wet-down:
Shon, the drivers may not have had much of a dust problem, but when we look out of the tower and see most of the fans are covering their faces because of dust and dirt flying at them....we need to give it a pass or two with the water truck. Plus, the quick spray he did at that red flag was just enough to keep the track in good shape for the rest of that race.

Additional.....:
In addition, we had the SpeedSTRs racing with us for the first time ever at Grandview Speedway....things were a little hectic for us to keep everything held together being we had little to no contact with their organization before and during the event. We will be working out these bugs as well as the typical "beginning of the race season" quirks by the next event! :cool:

The G-Man42
04-12-2010, 11:14 AM
thankyou..........i agree to much water i slowed to avoid a wreck comin outta turn 4 and had some one climb the side of my car due to not bein able to stop or avoid me from the excessive water and wipeout a boat load of parts

rk1714
04-12-2010, 12:10 PM
I brought the same question up last year ( after I got caught up in a lap 6 crash ) and I was told the situation would be adressed and it would not happen again! I haven`t raced there since but came as a spectator because I planned on racing at the next enduro , but I see things haven`t changed. You might have heard me booing when the caution came out for such stupidity. I agree with you 1,000 % Captain ! I still plan on coming to the next race , hopefully it will be better racing conditions.

Erin C
04-12-2010, 12:22 PM
Was no one at the drivers meeting when Kenny explained to all the drivers why he puts that much water on the track because there were lots of complaints and explained how to take it easy the first 5-10 laps and not just gun it so you can continue running the rest of the race? After he explained that after the drivers meeting NO ONE had anything else to say...why must the same thing be brought up over and over again? Why cant you just take it easy the first few laps so we don't have to stop the race 5 times to wet the track so the spectators can see and so us officials can see the track in the event of a major collision?

I suggest if you have that big of a problem with the moisture in the beginning of the race you talk to Kenny because he has no problem explaining why he does it...he is a great guy and I think he does a wonderful job.

Danger83Ranger
04-12-2010, 12:36 PM
im gonna rattle some cages here but here it goes.

erin, yes kenny did address it. but since ive raced a few times in those conditions, i know first hand what its like. did you see the pink car, it was alllll over the place, over steering over steering over steering, what was the driver doing, 10 mph? i had new tires on my truck, i enjoyed the first 10 laps the most haha. just depends i suppose.

but in those conditions, no matter how fast you go, you hardly have any control. i could barely keep up in the pre race warm up laps. i was spinning the tires constantly, even in a higher gear. but i took it easy, didnt hit anything and ran my race.

after about 65 laps, i could not see coming into turn 4. why? dust dust dust. so this is how i think it should be...

my visor was caked in mud after 1 lap, dust became a vision factor (the smeared visor didnt help) at around lap 60-65. we should have a red flag at lap 60 for a 1 pass water spray low and middle groove. than go back racing. just my opinion of course. but i was so afraid there was going to be a stopped car in that dust cloud. and the last thing i need is to come to a dead stop doing 55-60 mph.

oh and one more thing...who is Joe Neets? hahahahaha

its ok joe, sounds better than Cutri anyways... jk of course

rpkulik
04-12-2010, 12:40 PM
Kenny needs to put down enough water to last a 100-lap race. To do that AND keep the driver's happy for 100 laps isn't possible. With the Speedsters added to the Sunday schedule, Kenny has another set of drivers to keep happy and less time to do it in. I think he's doing as good a job as can be done.

(Well, the best job anyone could do without an asphalt paver. :) )

dirtmodfan
04-12-2010, 01:00 PM
I was just curious about the thought process. That's all.

Not that my opinion matters, but I would rather see less water and deal with the dry track. It is a day show. It is going to get dusty. JMO

critter
04-12-2010, 02:02 PM
i know i used all my tearoffs early with all the mud

dirtmodfan
04-12-2010, 02:05 PM
I would have been out of tearoffs if I would have been on the track the whole time. I must have taken a few hundred pounds of Grandview home with me. Poor car wash......:mad:

:cheers:

richardpetey
04-12-2010, 06:56 PM
Driving an over "MOIST" dirt track brings back bad memories of the old days when over 200 cars started on a 1/2 mile oval...........................:disgusted:disguste d
I'm tired of running harder than I should have too, later in the race, because someone thought they could win the race in the first 10 laps...........................:eek:
UNCLE PETEY............................:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Maddawg
04-12-2010, 08:21 PM
I have to agree with the majority on this one. Kenny does a good job prepping the track for us, you also have to consider there is a show Sat nights too, and those late models and modifieds really tear it up !!!!!! The track was excellent, except too much water. If he tones it down a bit it will be awesome:cheers:
Maddawg 417

MANIAC
04-12-2010, 08:40 PM
it makes it interesting to drive :D besides we are enduro drivers and this is a endurance race i applaud the water truck! :applause:

EnduroFromDE
04-12-2010, 08:59 PM
:mad::mad::mad:Everyone needs to just quit complaining...the track has been the same way every race(for the exceptiong of the first race(WAY too much water) and the 2nd race (not enough water) every race last year was the same...track is soaked down for 15 laps or so and then it starts to dry out...its an enduro you dont win in the first 10 or 15 laps...if you look over the the races last year in the 4 cyl class both the 93 and the 5 was often laped down early and still managed to win all but 1 race between them, why?? because they didnt race stupid and try winning in the mud in the first 15 laps...they waited till the track dries out and then race hard. As stated several times the track needs watered down that much to keep the dust down late in the race. To be honest with you, it seemed to me(sitting in the stands) that less water was put down this race then any other race last year...if you dont want to tear up your supposingly $500 race car go and run a saturday night division, if you dont want to get your beautiful paint job dirty then go race on a paved track, dont whine about how the track is prepared because you dont want to risk messing your car up...

richardpetey
04-12-2010, 10:13 PM
Different strokes for different folks...................but we can live without the "BACKSTROKE".....................................:disgusted
UNCLE PETEY..................:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

CJfilms
04-12-2010, 10:36 PM
I hate to agree with my wife on this one.....but she said it best. :help:

If you want to see Kenny water the track less, just look for him in the pits before the race. He did address this one time before a race in front of the drivers and no one came forward with any complaints.

Kenny wants what you want....hands down.... If you are unhappy and are thinking about not coming back because of the track conditioning, talk to him and he will reason with you.... The last thing Kenny wants to see is people leaving on bad terms....or leaving at all! :-B

Don't think of Kenny, myself, any NEETS or speedway official as too busy to listen, or you have a question that is too insignificant to matter to us....everyone's opinion matters, Shon, at the very least, it absolutely matters to me! :p

We're here for you, because of you, to work for you....if you aren't happy and don't come anymore, then eventually we won't be there anymore....

More water, less water....let's work through this. Russ, you had a good point there as well. The later races last season, the track received less of a water treatment before the races...with the 5-6 months of off-season, Kenny probably just reverted back to the norm.....the norm he has been doing for the past 20 years of his life. Remember, we are the newbies! Give it a few years and eventually, the enduros will become 2nd nature! Kenny said it himself, the NEETS races were the first time he ever prepped a track for an enduro......he went by what he thought would work the best to keep the track together for 100 laps.

mcstockcar
04-12-2010, 10:45 PM
Driving an over "MOIST" dirt track brings back bad memories of the old days when over 200 cars started on a 1/2 mile oval...........................:disgusted:disguste d
I'm tired of running harder than I should have too, later in the race, because someone thought they could win the race in the first 10 laps...........................:eek:
UNCLE PETEY............................:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

You got that rite....why dont the ones who do this learn that you dont get any reward for leading the race early on. Nor do wrecking others to get to the front right away... for what????? Just makes for :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:!!!! Ive seen too much of that and been victim of this several times. Im not going to put up with that this year.... I will.....ah.... go ahead make my day!!!!:mad:

dirtmodfan
04-12-2010, 11:27 PM
if you dont want to tear up your supposingly $500 race car go and run a saturday night division, if you dont want to get your beautiful paint job dirty then go race on a paved track, dont whine about how the track is prepared because you dont want to risk messing your car up...

First of all, I thought we were all adults and could voice our opinions without people bashing each other and acting like children. Grow up.

Good luck at the next Enduro. :cheers:

Philter39
04-12-2010, 11:36 PM
My 39 cents worth.

Its an enduro. Its a dirt track in the daytime.It was not to much water.It got dusty in the big car class. phil

CAPTAIN
04-13-2010, 12:50 AM
The track conditions in the beginning were just plain wrong. I understand that a race cannot be won in the first 5-10 laps, but when a racer cannot control his car at beginning of the race to even try to line up, sliding down in the turns, then something is wrong. Why should we "take it easy" in the beginning??? Aren't we there to race??? I know kenny is trying his best. I do not have all the answers, but this was needed to be talked about. I spun uncle peety in the first couple of laps, (sorry uncle), i was glad to see him continue, but what if he could not??? If it was a racing deal, in racing conditions, then so be it, but if it was because of track conditions, then something had to be said. This is just my opinion, and apparently this is the opinions of alot of drivers, with that being said, i do not think i am wrong with my comments. I know i cannot change anything, but talking about it just may help!!!

Lad3der
04-13-2010, 10:25 AM
like joe, stated talk with kenny about how the track is prepped. the racer havea better understanding of how the track should be prepped, this is because most of the officals have an asphalt racing background as i do myself or no racing experience themselfs. so we go by what we think is right for you. talk to us, talk to kenny but we will get it to the way you like it

Erin C
04-13-2010, 11:41 AM
Also remember, everyone likes it differently so not everyone is going to be happy, if we could make everyone happy then we would be miracle workers...:rolleyes:

mcstockcar
04-13-2010, 12:24 PM
DAM!!! This is one heck of a sore subject here. Glad I didint race on sunday. Its better to work it out on here than take it out on each other on the track.:-|

Steve Haegele
04-13-2010, 01:08 PM
DAM!!! This is one heck of a sore subject here. Glad I didint race on sunday. Its better to work it out on here than take it out on each other on the track.:-|

Hey Jack, its not really a sore subject, it was the same racing surface we had all of last year, thats what an enduro is, always was. I tore the front up pretty good after sliding up the track and hitting the wall pretty hard, but it was my own fault, not Kennys. You missed a great day at the track Jack, hope to see you next time.

gutter7
04-13-2010, 01:19 PM
I agree Steve, The enduros are what they are but you want a clear track and a well preped track the speeds start exceeding the saftey, then you increase the saftey some more, the next thing you know you got a full blown racecar. I don't need no more racecars. It just takes the fun out of slapping one together and if ya get one race out of it, oh well it was a junker any way. JMO

Danger83Ranger
04-13-2010, 01:26 PM
I agree Steve, The enduros are what they are but you want a clear track and a well preped track the speeds start exceeding the saftey, then you increase the saftey some more, the next thing you know you got a full blown racecar. I don't need no more racecars. It just takes the fun out of slapping one together and if ya get one race out of it, oh well it was a junker any way. JMO

good point, not all of us experience the real costs of racing, but i have kept my whole enduro operation including price of my truck, kirkey seat, simpson belts, s&w rollcage, hood pins, new parts and whatever else i had to fix for under 1000 dollars. in the mods, we have 4 cars, 5 motors, 2 trailers, camper, spares, tools, etc etc. racing for anywhere between 2000-5000 to win on your average small block to big block race. no matter how bad i think i have it with entry fees and costs, i just remember what it costs to run the mods and i shut my mouth real quick...:lol:

CAPTAIN
04-13-2010, 05:12 PM
I raced at big diamond and new egypt speedway, how come they do not have puddles on their tracks??? I just want a good racing surface, from the start. Other tracks can do it, why can't we get it done at gv. I do not want to seem like i am picking, but it is no fun driving around a slick track trying to stay out of trouble, then getting taken out of the race in the first 3 laps because someone is out of control, or got hit and put out of control. Like i said i do not have all the answers, i know you cannot please everyone, but if the track has less water, then we all can get around more safely, and can save our car.

miller78
04-13-2010, 06:16 PM
ok ive watched that truck it has a spray bar and a dump tube and he wets with the dump tube and not the spray bar for us and i see no reason for that if he would stop 2 laps earlyier that would be better

DerbyN8-128
04-14-2010, 06:16 AM
if you dont want to tear up your supposingly $500 race car go and run a saturday night division,

have you ever been to a saturday night race at grandview?
it's like a demolition derby at high speed...not many cars make it out with some kind of damage

CJfilms
04-14-2010, 08:12 AM
Possible solution?
Maybe Aaron hit it just right....we'll talk to Kenny about less water, OR using the spray bar instead of the dump tube.

Another point of view?
When Erin and I were on Racer's Roundtable a few weeks back, a fan from the stands asked a pretty important question... "What will be done when the cars become too fast, or overly competitive, given they are supposed to be as close to stock as possible?"

The answer is just what you saw happen at Lap 60...wet the track down a bit. There is no way were are going to stop a race at lap XX to tell drivers, "OK, slow it up a bit, someone can get hurt out there." We have to adjust the racing conditions to be preferably safer....in the sense of slower speeds.

Truth be told, the amount of water at the beginning of the race does two things. First off, as I explained earlier, it is supposed to be the ONLY time we will have to wet the track for a 100 Lap race....if the weather is against us and the track dries up like it did Sunday, we are left with no choice but to throw a flag.

Two, it affords SOME drivers a mental prep for the race. In those 10-15 laps, people lose the original adrenaline rush that causes their foot to flop on the gas and ruin their car in the first quarter of the race. Drivers have to endure and keep their wits about them during this time or else it's game over. We've all seen the drivers who are new to the sport jump on the green flag start and end up in the infield before Lap 2. If the track were drier and they are able to get up to higher speeds, that might result in a Turn 1 pile up or melee down the back stretch... Drivers use their skills to outlast the wet conditions and then they are free to race full bore once the track is ran in.

Like I said, we will talk to Kenny about less water or a more preferably prepped surface.

My only complaint about people voicing their opinion here is that it is HERE!!!! Say something at the track....not off the cuff to me early in the pits...bring it up at the driver's meeting. Talk to Kenny and me about the track. Talk, talk, talk! Typing it here is a problem because it is after the fact.... I'm not saying don't post your opinions, but if you want to truly be heard...speak, don't type!

As I said earlier, Kenny wants what you want...I want what you want... Kenny is not on the forums discussing this though. I can discuss it as much as you want, and won't ever tell you to stop, but discussing this with me, here, not at the track, will not solve the problem at hand if Kenny is not made aware of it.

Lastly, about speaking up....get the crowd behind you! When one person tells Kenny, "Let's put a little less water down this time" and walks away from him.....Kenny is not going to change something for just that one person when there are 73 other drivers not complaining.

I told him I had about 5 or so people last season complaining about track prep....his response was that if only 5 people out of 70+ are not happy.....then we're doing something right. Even so, he still took the time to talk about it at the driver's meeting.....speak as a group, you will be heard!

CAPTAIN
04-14-2010, 11:52 PM
I was at the drivers meeting, and i did not see kenny, that does not mean he wasn't there, i just did not see him. Don't worry, i got a big mouth, this will be brought up at the next drivers meeting. Please make sure kenny is there. Thank you!!!

gutter7
04-15-2010, 10:08 AM
Captain, remember the first year at Diamond ? There was water on the track, cars would actully get stuck in the mud along the barriers. They worked it out, i think GV. will too.

Danger83Ranger
04-15-2010, 10:15 AM
he does NOT put down enough water...:lol::lol::lol:

EnduroFromDE
04-15-2010, 12:02 PM
Maybe its just me cause the 4 cyl FWD cars are a little easier to control in the mud but I love racing the first 10 or 15 laps of the race...thats the fun part...and then it turns into the more serious racing portion of the race after the track dries out.