PDA

View Full Version : fact of fiction

STU
04-17-2010, 10:20 AM
I was talking with some old timers at work the other day about tips to get more mpg out of my car and I heard two interesting things to try.
1 A quart of rubbing alcohol in your gas will get rid of any water in the tank.
2 A quart of high mile ATF in the gas will clean your injectors better than anything on the market.
Has anyone tried or heard of this?:wave:

rpkulik
04-17-2010, 11:42 AM
"Dry Gas" is Isopropyl Alcohol. It works because a 50-50 mix of dry gas and water will burn. A typical rubbing alcohol is 70% Isopropyl Alcohol, however some economy brands are 50%. A 50% version will not help at all. Other rubbing alcohols do not contain Isopropyl Alcohol and will not be as effective. I prefer using 70% Iso rubbing alcohol as dry gas because it is heavier than gasoline, so it sinks to the bottom where the water is. Pure alcohol is lighter than gas, so it requires agitation of some sort to mix well. One caution - Dry Gas may not be compatible with fuel cell foam.

I have heard of many uses for ATF, but not as a fuel injection cleaner. My favorites are Berkible 2+2, Techron and Touluene. I would not experiment with ATF because there are components that would inhibit combustion. I am not saying that it won't work, but when the above cleaners work very well, why experiment?

DerbyN8-128
04-17-2010, 12:57 PM
as stated, I would not put ATF in my fuel system. There are quite a few fuel additives/cleaners out there that would be a lot safer and work better in the fuel

critter
04-17-2010, 03:37 PM
i run stp stuff in my tank ,and any good fuel injector cleaner works good in the zoom zoom ,i would never put atf in the motor

DerbyN8-128
04-17-2010, 07:14 PM
I have heard of many uses for ATF, but not as a fuel injection cleaner.

Like as a hand cleaner

I'm a large equipment mechanic at a local quarry, I used ATF to get my hands clean before my wedding last fall, worked great.

However I would not recommend doing it on a regular basis
:lol::lol::lol:

richardpetey
04-17-2010, 08:43 PM
We used ATF as a valve guide cleaner before the days of unleaded fuel, pouring the stuff down the carb. throat at a controlled rate..................:rolleyes:
Any alcohol is hydroscopic(absorbs water), so you don't wanna use it at all in your tank and especially in a fuel cell with foam(disintegrates the foam and eventually clogs up your fuel filters) and reforms in your float bowl to cause additional flow problems....................:disgusted
UNCLE PETEY........................:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: