PDA

View Full Version : Myers and Brown Set to Battle at Bowman Gray

RGeeProductions
04-21-2010, 12:34 AM
The 62nd Season Begins on Saturday with the Tucson 200.

With the season-opening Tucson 200 set for this Saturday, 2010 is shaping up to be one of the most exciting seasons ever at Bowman Gray Stadium.

Defending Champion Tim Brown of Cana , VA will be battling for his ninth Stadium title - an accomplishment that would break the record for the most Modified championships in the 62-year history of Bowman Gray Stadium. “I grew up thinking about how cool it would be to win the most championships at Bowman Gray,” said Tim Brown. “I’m pretty much speechless.”

One of Brown’s fiercest rivals in 2009 was Burt Myers of Walnut Cove – and Myers is determined to be a contender again in 2010. In fact, many predict that Myers will be the competitor to beat this season.

Myers started off the 2009 season with an ailing car and a host of poor finishes due to mechanical problems. At the mid-point of the season, Myers installed a new Ford motor – and his performance took off. From then on, Myers won more races, led more laps, won more poles, and earned more points than any other Modified competitor – although at that point, it wasn’t enough to overtake Brown.

“For years over here, I don’t know if I really understood how down on horsepower I was until I got this Ford motor,” said Myers. “Now the car doesn’t have to handle quite as well because I can run down the straightaway faster. I don’t want to say it makes my job easy, but it makes it a little easier. It takes a little bit of the stress off of me.”

“On starts and restarts - where I was able to just leap out in front of the field and get me a cushion - the car was just perfect. Hopefully we can come back with the Ford and take the win in the Tucson 200,” said Burt Myers.

This Saturday’s Tucson 200 is the longest and most prestigious race of the season for the Bill Plemmons RV World Modified Series – and for the second year in a row, the 200-lapper will feature the infamous Double-File “Choice” Restart. Each and every caution will give competitors the chance to pull up side-by-side in a heated battle for position.

Added to the mix for 2010 will be a stickier outside row. With some extra tar being placed around the outer groove during the off-season, competitors taking to the outside will be able to grip the track more and travel at greater speeds. This has the potential to introduce a drastic change to strategy for restarts for the Tucson 200.

The 62nd season starts off with a bang this Saturday – with the Tucson 200. Qualifying for the season-opener will occur on Friday with the Modifieds, Sportsman, Street Stock, and Stadium Stock Divisions competing on Saturday. Ticket gates open at 6:00 PM for practice, and the first race is at 8:00 PM. For more information, call (336) 723-1819 or visit www.bowmangrayracing.com (http://www.bowmangrayracing.com).

Loren Pinilis