PDA

View Full Version : 04/24/10 - Monadnock Practice

RGeeProductions
04-25-2010, 10:37 PM
Monadnock Speedway Holds Practice

Monadnock Speedway held a second practice this past weekend with many teams coming down to shake down their cars. The track this year will have a modified division that runs every other week.

One of the teams that makes the long haul from Hollis, ME is Goodwin Hanaford. Goodwin and his wife Anne own the 71ME Modified which is driven by Josh Cantara. Hanaford loves modified racing “ It’s an awesome place to race and we love modified racing and were going to race modifieds as long as I race”, Hanaford stated. Hanaford makes a homemade engine for his modified. On opening day last season, the motor blew in practice and had to load up and go home. This year they have built a second motor for the car. Hanaford has been working on motors since he was 14 years old.

Peter Daniels drove for Hanaford for three years. One of the years Daniels drove the car for Hanaford there was an 18 race season. That year, 15 races Daniels finished in the top three every week accept for three races. Daniels did not feel well one night so he had a dnf. Hanaford claimed the owner’s championship that year but not the drivers championship. For 2010, The 71ME team just wants to go out and have some fun.

Matt Mead is a rookie this year in the modifieds. Mead has run from Mini Stocks to Late Models. Mead is driving for car owner Ron Townsend out of Westfield, MA Townsend is a former Riverside Park Speedway Modified Driver. “We worked together all winter. Got everything comfortable. Were going to test it and see if we can do the whole season” said Mead. The transition for Mead from a Super Stock to a Modified is much different. Mead ran a couple modified races last season to get the experience. Mead’s goals for 2010 are to finish every race and hopes to finish top ten or top five in points.

Monadnock Speedway will be debuting a new division next Saturday night. It’s the Sportsman Modified division. Now what is a sportsman modified ? A Sportsman Modified is a restricted modified. It pretty much your typical normal modified. There is no shock rule. The only difference between a sportsman modified and a regular modified is the motor. The Sportsman Modified will be running a crate engine. The Sportsman Modifieds will also be allowed to use a spotter. Last year’s Outlaw Pro Champion Russ Hersey was testing his sportsman modified. Hersey is running a Spafco chassis.

Monadnock Speedway will have their opener on Saturday night with an appearance with the Bob Valenti Auto Mall Modified Racing Series 100 lap feature event. The Monadnock Modified division will make it’s season debut on Saturday night May 8th for a 50 lap race.

Matt Wiernasz