PDA

View Full Version : 04/23/10 - Bowman Gray

RGeeProductions
04-26-2010, 08:08 AM
Brown and Team Work Hard to Claim Pole at Bowman Gray

Bowman Gray Stadium notoriously starts off every race season with the most grueling and intense race of the year: the Tucson 200. The 200-lapper tests the endurance limits of cars, competitors, and teams – and the stage is set for fireworks tonight.

Tim Brown of Cana , VA will be starting on the pole after turning the fastest lap in Friday night qualifying sessions. “I’m pleased with it. The race car is awesome. It’s been really fast all day. We put the car on the pole and it’s a great way to start our season,” said Brown.

For the #83 team, there were times when they weren’t even sure they would be able to qualify. “We unloaded today and had all kinds of problems: brand new parts going bad. We practically rebuilt this race car today,” said Brown, who dealt with power problems, brake problems, and then clutch problems in practice sessions right before qualifying. “With stuff being brand new, sometimes you get stuff like that.”

Already on Brown’s mind is the championship for 2010. If Brown were on top of the points at the end of the year, it would be his ninth championship – breaking Ralph Brinkley’s record for most championships at the Stadium. “That ninth championship has been on my mind since I started racing. My journey isn’t done until I have nine or more – I want to be on top of that ladder by myself,” said Brown.

But first, Brown has his sights set on the checkered flag for the Tucson 200. “You got a 200-lap race here in this little bull ring – the madhouse – you just play it by ear and go,” said Brown. “I’m ready to get back to racing.”

Another competitor with bad luck in today’s practice session was Brown’s points rival, Burt Myers of Walnut Cove. As the #1 car of Myers was taking practice laps, a hung throttle sent Myers slamming into the guard rail. “We wiped her out,” said Myers about his damaged car.

“We ran home and got this one – this one is from right off the track in Thompson, CT – We got over here, changed the rear end, practiced about 15 laps, and we got her in the top five. It’s a testament to how good this team can be when they want to be,” said Myers.

Myers ended up qualifying third, a feat he’s proud of in his secondary car. “This car’s probably not the car that the other one is, but if you have the #1 car in the race pool tomorrow – I wouldn’t throw away your ticket.,” said Myers.

With 200 laps to make his way up to the lead, Myers plans on taking his time. “This is an endurance race. This is a survival race. You’ve got to keep your nose clean and dig as hard as you can - and hopefully be there at the end. I think we have the car to do it. I think we’re going to be in good shape,” said Myers.

Lee Jeffreys of High Point will start on the outside front row right beside Brown with father Robert Jeffreys starting in fourth. Jonathan Brown of Winston-Salem and Chris Fleming of Mount Airy both were unable to qualify on Friday after encountering mechanical problems. They plan on qualifying tonight.

The top 10 qualifiers locked in their starting position on Friday night. There will be another round of qualifying tonight to determine positions 11 through 24. Competitors may choose to stand on their times from Friday night or scrap their time and requalify tonight.

Ticket gates open at 6:00 for practice. The first race starts at 8:00. For more information, visit www.bowmangrayracing.com (http://www.bowmangrayracing.com).

Qualifying for Tucson 200 – Qualifying Session on Friday Night, April 23

(Final field limited to 24 cars – Saturday qualifying may affect final lineup.)

RANK/TIME/CAR/DRIVER/HOMETOWN

1. 13.149 83 Tim Brown Cana, VA
2. 13.174 77 Lee Jeffreys High Point, NC
3. 13.293 1 Burt Myers Walnut Cove, NC
4. 13.329 75 Robert Jeffreys Winston-Salem, NC
5. 13.357 36 Rupert Sink Lexington, NC
6. 13.360 4 Jason Myers Walnut Cove, NC
7. 13.429 3 Terry Gaither Walkertown, NC
8. 13.431 40 Brad Robbins Winston-Salem, NC
9. 13.441 25 John Smith Mount Airy, NC
10. 13.450 28 Andrew Durham Roaring River, NC
11. 13.451 50 Michael Clifton Walkertown, NC