PDA

View Full Version : Two Legends Divisions

RichF
04-26-2010, 04:36 PM
Title says it all. See front page of the Jam! http://www.longislandjam.com/

bulldozer
04-26-2010, 07:32 PM
Nothing for nothing who is to determine whos in the freshman class and whos not. Am i because this is my first year?Would Timmy solominto have been in this class his first year? I think everyone should race together and if they feel they cant start up front when the time comes let them start in the rear. I mean the new drivers are all going to start in the rear the first three weeks anyways. WHat if there is three freshman drivers as you call them that are faster than some of the guys making the main. THen only one of them makes the main. I think we should have asked all the new drivers what they think before we rush into any freshman class. Maybe we did have a vote or a meeting and i missed it. WHat does everyone else think? Maybe it will be a good thing. Maybe it will help some of them but what if the kid wants to run with eveyone else who is to tell him he cant??????

The Bullfather
04-26-2010, 07:51 PM
Chris this division is for drivers who have not raced in The Nascar Weekly Series. You have experience in other divisions and will not be in this class. This division is to help the young drivers gain track time without being pressured by veteran drivers or a full field of cars. If they feel a driver has enough to race with the main division, I do believe he will be able too.

JTG 46 Racing
04-26-2010, 08:20 PM
I have raced at Riverhead raceway for a long time in the go karts. I am 16 And have 4 races under my belt in the legends division at Riverhead Including 1 race at Bethel and one at Lowes. And have logged over 300 practice laps at Concord. Will i be with the freshmen? I think it should be up to the Parents/drivers whether or not they should be in the division.

j-rod
04-26-2010, 08:21 PM
they should run 3 heat races, take 5 out of each one= 15, then run a consi for the last 5 spots. that gives you a strong field of 20 cars. if 15 cars dnq then thats the way it is. there's plenty of laps to be ran for the less experienced between practice, heats, consi, or main

The Bullfather
04-26-2010, 08:25 PM
Jeffrey you won't be in that division as you raced last year.

bulldozer
04-26-2010, 08:49 PM
I know i wont be in the freshman class but lets leave it up to the kids and parents to decide what division they want to be in. See if we had transponders we could see who was up to pace and who should be held back.

WFO
04-26-2010, 08:49 PM
#1 How long will this last
#2 They going to run heats for this 10 lap feature..
#3 This only is for younger age? under 16
#4 How many are in Question.. If age in question maybe 4?
#5 How do you determine who is in..
#6 How many cars will attend this week how many go home..Start 24.. 10 go home...?
#7 Most younger's have more experience than they think ...
#8 I guess they don't think that the system in place works already????
#9 What about Trucks Blunderbust and Mods they have the same program...alot of new contenders
#10 Can you get demoted from this so called a main for following week...

JTG 46 Racing
04-26-2010, 08:59 PM
I think being put in a freshmen division would be very discouraging to people. The old system worked just fine. There is no need to change anything

The Bullfather
04-26-2010, 09:11 PM
Until someone gets hurt and then people will complain, saying (so and so) driver wasn't ready cause he was under 16. There will be more then 4 in the freshman class. Give it a chance, think it's great not to put a 14 year whose never raced anything or anything but a go-kart. This will give a chance to grow. Sometimes rules are made for the better of the driver, parents maybe all gun-ho for their kid to race right away with the veterans, that maybe an ugly situation. This is for the safety of the driver and that is a great thing!!!

oldschool
04-26-2010, 09:25 PM
i think this will just apply to people who have never driven anything before last weekend... this will be good for them they can all learn at the same pace... they should make a min. lap times (14.sec range) to advance to the main division...

attituderacing
04-26-2010, 09:32 PM
Inex has a young lions division, its for young kids who want to race I think its under 16. I don't have a problem with the separation. Everyone compains until you get caught up in a wreck caused by an inexperienced driver. Waterford Speedbowl runs a Young lions feature and the first two cars go to the feature, seems to work there.......When Timmy started racing, he HAD to be 16 and there weren;t anybody else to race against. Every parent thinks their kids are great, until they prove themselves, I think its a Great idea. jmo

WFO
04-26-2010, 09:34 PM
I agree with you peter as long as we have more than 10 cars and all rookies would do it for us..We have option's.. We are not in feet first ..If Kyle don't cut it Ill be the first to pull him and make him start in rear .I don't want to see anyone get hurt.The guys who think they are what they ain't get hurt .Over driving!!!We are excited about the car count and kyle knows he will be on the trailer most likely!! until he gets more time under his belt..If we want a guaranty start! we would go to bethel...If anyone is going to the head thinking any different they are not ready..Either way we are in for a try.. but the powers to be need to worry about car tech and keeping it fair!The system work when we had big car count in early 90's and I think It could do the job today..

WFO
04-26-2010, 09:57 PM
Linda with the car count is high as it is.. they wont be in the show to get in the way..start less in the heat so they can spread out and leaders will be single file by the time they get lapped maybe that would help..Today's young lions are ages 12 tru 16 and have option's to move up when they are ready. But most of the tracks that offer y lion's has a good size field. So that is what I Guess they are doing at the head..Racing by yourself or a few is difficult to learn where you need to be..racing with others that are good... well that's just going to school...

rrealto
04-26-2010, 10:44 PM
Seems like a good idea. Nice to see the track taking some proactive steps after watching the practices.

fred card
04-27-2010, 07:34 AM
great job riverhead raceway ,for giving rookies a chance to learn there cars and not getting run over, good luck all legend drivers and have a great 2010 season;)

Turbo
04-27-2010, 01:41 PM
Having a freshman race would be a pretty good idea But i think they should just have a B-main for all those who do not qualify and maybe the winner of that goes to the A-Main. They already handicap drivers in every division to how they drive as they have told drivers to start in the back until they get a hang of it. So start the young cats off in the back and keep an eye on them, if they are ok then mix them in the field accordingly otherwise keep startin them in the back.

bulldozer
04-27-2010, 02:28 PM
I just got some more info and from what i hear the officals have talked to most of the young peoples parents and they agree this is a good idea. As long as they all agree i think it is an awsome idea. Get some exspierence and and when the offical feel they are up to speed put them with the main guys. I didnt know they already talked to the parents of the kids so ill take back what i said before. Great Idea

Fkraft99
04-28-2010, 12:46 AM
I think its a great idea. I watched the "rookie only" practice on the first practice day and by eye I was like wow these kids are getting around pretty good. Till I put a stopwatch on them and realized they were over a second off the pace of the cars in the practice before them. Seems like a great way to get them a feel for racing side by side, without getting run over from behind. Plus they get a chance to win a race, or run upfront in their feature which will help tremendously for their confidence level going forward.

One thing I think they should do is something they do with the Dare Stock class up at Stafford which is another beginner class. If one kid wins more then 2 or 3 of these "young lions" races he should have to automatically move up to run with the big boys. Just prevents a kid from hanging around dominating the young lions class and will give as many kids as possible a chance to race with the big boys!