PDA

View Full Version : Hutter Engines

JH6868
05-02-2010, 09:43 PM
I heard the Hutter engines may not be legal due to improper valve angle. Has anyone else heard anythining about this ? I don't know if it's true or not but supposedly it was found at Thompson.

Magicshoes12
05-03-2010, 08:10 AM
i'm sure if that was the case, they wouldn't have allowed them to run the same motor 2 weeks later....

worm
05-03-2010, 08:30 AM
there is a head with the same casting no. as the 18* head and is 15*.

JH6868
05-03-2010, 09:16 AM
Don't be so sure Magicshoes, remember, the 4 car uses Hutter. And you are correct worm but the rule book says the heads must be 18 deg.

invisible
05-03-2010, 09:58 PM
So, you mean to tell me that the 4, the 93, the 52 (Pasteryak's car, not Darling's), the 50 and 58, the 14, the 6, and the 70 ALL have illegal motors. And NASCAR isn't doing anything about it, even though one of those cars is leading the points, with a second in 5th? :rolleyes: NASCAR doesn't even begin to think about playing games when it comes to engines (just ask Carl Long), so why would they start now?

Analyst
05-04-2010, 12:57 AM
15 degree heads can be and ARE made such that they use 18 degree intake manifolds and exhaust headers, for example: http://www.cferacing.com/?pid=products&id=H21. This is an example to show how readily such a set of heads could be made as I don't know off hand which castings are allowed per the NASCAR rulebook. However, if you can engineer a set of 15 degree heads to fit in place of a set of 18 degree heads, altering casting numbers is a piece of cake...

To the contrary, one would think that if NASCAR confiscated a set of heads and sent them to their tech center, they could certainly measure the valve angle and report back their legality within a day or two. So if heads were taken at Thompson, one would think that we would have heard an official announcement already. So were heads actually removed and taken by NASCAR at Thompson?

Magicshoes12
05-04-2010, 08:49 AM
So, you mean to tell me that the 4, the 93, the 52 (Pasteryak's car, not Darling's), the 50 and 58, the 14, the 6, and the 70 ALL have illegal motors. And NASCAR isn't doing anything about it, even though one of those cars is leading the points, with a second in 5th? :rolleyes: NASCAR doesn't even begin to think about playing games when it comes to engines (just ask Carl Long), so why would they start now?

thats exactly what i was saying.....if they found these 15 deg. motors, nascar wouldn't allow them to be running 2-3 weeks later at the next race....doesn't make sense to me...

SteveS
05-04-2010, 01:59 PM
During the engine inspection process, NASCAR randomly selects a cylinder of the day that they will inspect. The rocker arms are removed and an angle gauge is placed over the valve spring retainer which is then calibrated against the carburetor mounting surface. The casting numbers are checked also at that time. It doesn't seem possible to me that you could sneak that by at a tour event.

invisible
05-05-2010, 10:31 AM
Exactly. You can not sneak it past the officials since, as someone said, the angle is checked when a motor is being sealed. If you were to remove the head to replace it, the seal would need to be broken. After breaking a seal, everything would need to be reinspected or the car would be deemed illegal in post-event tech (unless the car didn't finish in a tech position, but then what would be the point of running the cheater heads?). Sounds to me like someone is just stirring the pot since Hutter engines have been running very well this season (as they have on tour for the last 25 years). Why isn't anyone saying the Ford engines are illegal? Those engines have been just as powerful.