PDA

View Full Version : Racing families

Ka$h25
05-04-2010, 08:32 PM
Bob Finan commented during the Charger race that the Dumicich's are one of the top racing families out there. Got me thinking. Lets hear some of your opinions on the top racing families we've seen on Long Island. Past and present.

Presently it's hard to argue with the Turbush's. Dominating that charger division the past few decades, a late model championship and some truck feature wins, doesn't get much more impressive than that.

The current generation of Solomitos look like they could be pretty dominant in the near future.

The Brunnhoelzls might take the nod considering past and present combined.

And of course the Maynors.

Would be interesting if someone could tally up feature wins and championships per last name and see who the leaders are.

allhailunc
05-05-2010, 06:41 AM
Bob Finan commented during the Charger race that the Dumicich's are one of the top racing families out there. Got me thinking. Lets hear some of your opinions on the top racing families we've seen on Long Island. Past and present.

Presently it's hard to argue with the Turbush's. Dominating that charger division the past few decades, a late model championship and some truck feature wins, doesn't get much more impressive than that.

The current generation of Solomitos look like they could be pretty dominant in the near future.

The Brunnhoelzls might take the nod considering past and present combined.

And of course the Maynors.

Would be interesting if someone could tally up feature wins and championships per last name and see who the leaders are.

Hey what about the Feola"s?can;t forget "TwoHelmets" and Neal jr

btgoss
05-05-2010, 10:44 AM
The Tookers.
I believe at one point almost 5/16th. of all cars raced at Riverhead were driven by a Tooker.

DriveitinDeep
05-05-2010, 11:40 AM
brothers Mark & Colin, wife Cindee.
brothers Steve & John Tooker ( no relation to the above Tookers)

DriveitinDeep
05-05-2010, 11:42 AM
Brothers Robin, Brad & Arnold Vollmoeller

Fat Albert
05-05-2010, 05:35 PM
How about the Park family...Bill, Brother Bob and their sons, Bill Jr. and Steven!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mbgolfer
05-05-2010, 07:17 PM
Don't forget Axel & 2 lane. With all of Wayne's championships. Riverhead, Islip, New Eygpt, & National Champ.

broz
05-05-2010, 07:40 PM
Don't forget Axel & 2 lane. With all of Wayne's championships. Riverhead, Islip, New Eygpt, & National Champ.

"2 lane"? :lol: It's been "3 Lane" for as long as I can remember :applause: I'll give those Anderson's their props though, they have been there since the beginning!

mbgolfer
05-05-2010, 07:51 PM
"2 lane"? :lol: It's been "3 Lane" for as long as I can remember :applause: I'll give those Anderson's their props though, they have been there since the beginning!

Got that right, Axel raced on the beach.

btgoss
05-05-2010, 09:29 PM
brothers Mark & Colin, wife Cindee.
brothers Steve & John Tooker ( no relation to the above Tookers)

You learn something new every day!
I really thought all of them had been related. Thanks for the info.

unowho243
05-06-2010, 09:08 AM
the goodales

BernerMotorsprt
05-07-2010, 08:39 AM
The Roger's Family
Tom Rogers (grandpa)
Sharon Rogers aka Toni (grandmother)
John Rogers (grandpas brother)
Tom Rogers Sr. (Dad)
Tom Rogers Jr. ( Brother)
Chris Rogers (Cousin)

The Bullfather
05-07-2010, 08:57 AM
The Hiscock family, there racing origins go back to road course racing through the town of Bridgehampton, part of the Vanderbilt Cup style races, which were the first road course races in America. So much history of racing started on Long Island!!!

MSK27
05-07-2010, 09:29 AM
How about the McElearneys?Joel,Paul,Maureen,Milissa.Maureens husband Randy Murray,Pauls son Brian McElearney,Milissa's husband Richie Resner,Randy and Maureen's daughter and soon to be racer Megan and her godfather Uncle John Sarppraicone racer and racetrack owner/promoter and his son John Jr.

racingboi1991
05-07-2010, 09:56 AM
how about the himes

rabbid1
05-07-2010, 10:21 AM
Turbush ! I say

CRog00
05-07-2010, 03:15 PM
The Roger's Family
Tom Rogers (grandpa)
Sharon Rogers aka Toni (grandmother)
John Rogers (grandpas brother)
Tom Rogers Sr. (Dad)
Tom Rogers Jr. ( Brother)
Chris Rogers (Cousin)

Can't forget about Uncle Michael. He wasn't on the track long but he was still out there.

hollywoodmic
05-07-2010, 06:57 PM
not only did they have immaculate equipment, but they were bad ass

The Tappens

310fig8
05-08-2010, 08:06 AM
Lets add Fred and Ed Dunlop along with their father Fred Sr.. At one time Sr. owned 9 of the Islip Figure 8 cars at the same time. The Kraft brothers Johnny and Tommy and their nephew Joe Larsen and his daughter Jessica also part of the list. Jimmy and Scott Hendrickson - Quinn and Chris Vollgraff - Butch, Richie and Roy LaFrance - Fred and Alan Harbach - Al and Hank DeAngelo Etc.

The Bullfather
05-08-2010, 08:26 AM
You missed The Browns fig8!:rolleyes:

RickFigure8
05-10-2010, 03:42 AM
Wow, interesting, for once a westerner naming an eastender before everyone else, lol. The Malone's. Then there's the Hlatkys, the La'mountains, I think that's spelled correct, The Rattis. And Bill, you forgot Richie Hendrickson, Mini-Mods. Were the Tyler's related? Joe and John Saraceno. I think Danny Marcello's father raced? George, Ron and Chuck Sprague. Oh, Bill, you also missed the Sr Vollgraff and Quinns Daughter. The Orlandos. The list just keeps growing, a true family sport.

Ka$h25
05-10-2010, 07:58 AM
The Kraft brothers Johnny and Tommy and their nephew Joe Larsen and his daughter Jessica also part of the list

There's also Tom Ferrara and Freddie Kraft on that tree.

KnK Racing
05-10-2010, 08:02 AM
The Hydes

Eddy Hyde (Grandfather)-Novice divison at Freeport
Kenny Hyde Sr (Dad)-Figure 8
Dorothea Hyde (Mom)-Figure 8
Kenny Hyde Jr (Son)-Figure 8

The Biondillo Family, Joey Sr, Joey Jr, John Vullo

The Petersen Family
Scott Pedersen BB and Figure 8
Atrie Pedersen BB and Late Models
Arne Pedersen Figure 8

The Bullfather
05-10-2010, 03:20 PM
wegmanns bill, william, Jason, soon to be one or two others and Ray Shannon

CSLMOTORSPORTS
05-18-2010, 11:03 AM
How about the Fortins , John ,Amber, John boy Also the Lehmanns Carl, Scott,and CJ. the Hubbards ,the Lafontians, the Grennans

figure849
05-18-2010, 03:58 PM
''Would be interesting if someone could tally up feature wins and championships per last name and see who the leaders are.''
Not looking to do the math, but the Maynors would have to be near the top if you did a tallie.

BIRDNUT
05-18-2010, 04:50 PM
jerry and arnold bowers also alan and fred harbach

44YEARWALLMOD
05-22-2010, 10:11 AM
FREDDY HARBACH WAS A GREAT RACER AND HIS SON ALAN. I HOPE I AM RIGHT WITH THE SONS NAME. FREDDY WAS A THRILL TO SEE WITH ALL THE OTHER LONG ISLAND BOYS AT THE END OF THE YEAR COMING DOWN TO WALL THOSE MEMORIES I WILL HOLD ON TO FOR EVER THOSE BOYS RAN THE HELL OUT THE WALL DRIVERS.:p

The Bullfather
05-22-2010, 10:44 AM
We could add the Blewett family! John Jr. ,John III and Jimmy have all had seasons under their belts on Long Island besides just visiting here and there!

wayne
05-22-2010, 05:32 PM
Mississippi
Frank
Michael
Frank jr
Jamie
Kyle

Bad Guy
05-22-2010, 07:50 PM
Peggy smith and her father roy smith

Gravel
05-22-2010, 10:55 PM
At Freeport you had the Ohlau's, The Tuski's, the Veltmans, The Visconti's, The Badra's

Wheel Racing
05-23-2010, 10:02 AM
Hey what about the Feola"s?can;t forget "TwoHelmets" and Neal jr

Just saw this and thanks for the mention. Not only me and and the old man but:

-My Aunt Lurene "Mean Lurene" Feola Lohman was a Ladies Division champion at Islip Speedway
-My mother Doris also ran the Ladies Division for a few years
-My Uncle Bob Gilligan ran Figure 8 for a few years
-My grandfather "Pop" Feola also ran a few Figure 8 shows

Just a couple more families:
Paul and Mary Galvin - Novice/Charger/BB
Paul and Dottie Grodewald

fisherman
05-23-2010, 01:55 PM
bob harrison back in the 50s and ron harrison

microman
05-23-2010, 08:46 PM
If we are talking racers from Long Island and not just raced on Long Island, I would like to put the Coy name on the list. Some might not know them, but Billy, Johnny JR., Joey and the late legend Johnny SR. from the open cockpits of the midget divisions. I know John Sr. and Joey were both multiple time champs in different divisions of the midget type, not sure about John JR.

CIN
05-25-2010, 09:56 AM
Rich
Alan
Steve
and back in the day (way back) Norm (if we're talking "racing" on Long Island)

EDGEnterprises
05-25-2010, 04:45 PM
The Himes'
--------------------------
Marty Himes Sr (The Himes Museum of Motor Racing Nostalgia Curator & Owner)
Marty Himes Jr. & His Sons Steven & Martin Himes
Reggie (Flip) Himes
Violet (Red) Himes (Marty Sr's wife)

The Johnsons'
-------------------------
Scott A. Johnson
Bryan Johnson & Michael Johnson (Marty Himes Grandsons)
Nancy Johnson (Marty Himes Daughter)