PDA

View Full Version : Justin Bonsignore??

Ka$h25
05-06-2010, 03:53 PM
I didn't wanna be the one to START the ****, but it's thursday and no one has mentioned it, so it'll have to be me.

My disclaimer is that I don't know 100% of the situation. Moslty just hearsay. But personally when one of our hometown drivers starts to climb the ranks of NASCAR it's nice to see they remember where they came from. Justin did just that. Finished his Whelen Tour race in Stafford Springs, Connecticut and hauled ass the whole way trying to make it to us in time for the Modified feature at Riverhead.

For all his effort he gets a big OH WELL. Any chance at running for points is over, which means he most likely won't be trying too hard to make any races in the future, understandably so. Which means we might get to see him at Riverhead a couple of times between the tour show, and maybe if we're lucky he'll come out for a time trial show or two.

:disgusted

FERGBIZZ
05-06-2010, 03:56 PM
agreed. They easily could have had an intermission or 2. And if they would have done that freshman race after 5 (that I'm still convinced didn't happen) that would have gave him more time too

The Bullfather
05-06-2010, 04:04 PM
The show is bigger then one driver. Justin tried to make it back, but didn't! What about 20 other drivers that started, should we wait for them also, if they had another race or engagement going on? Justin had a great opportunity to race for someone and now he is doing so, his main priorities will be the Whelen tour, not Riverhead. Opening night, they want to get through the night without a hitch, no need for intermission when the stands aren't at full capacity. Just the way it is!

FERGBIZZ
05-06-2010, 04:07 PM
so you're saying they should only do intermissions when the stands are filled?

Richie25
05-06-2010, 04:10 PM
but it was still very early. and with him being 20-30 min away from the track i think an intermission could have 100% been issued. there was plenty of time to kill.

Fkraft99
05-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Personally I think when someone that has supported your track and been a full-time driver there for 5 years now, calls and said he is gonna try and make it back to race at your track. You should do a little something, to kill time and wait for him. I know Waterford had an autograph session following their Heat races to ensure time for drivers coming back from Stafford. Justin prob missed the race by 15 min? You mean to tell me there couldnt have been a 15 min autograph session or some kind of intermission? Just a shame they let the kid spend 6-7 hundred to buy tires that cant be returned.

Im sure you'll see Justin either this week, or for the 100 lapper cause he has tires to burn. But you probably would have seen him on a weekly basis for most of the season if ya could have found 15 min to wait for him. Instead now it looks like Sundance and other various tracks will get the $200 pit entry $100 on fuel, and the $700 in tires...who needs an extra $1000 a week anyway.

Ka$h25
05-06-2010, 04:33 PM
but it was still very early. and with him being 20-30 min away from the track i think an intermission could have 100% been issued. there was plenty of time to kill.

This is one of the biggest factors in my opinion. We got out soooo early they really could have spared some time one way or another. I think I'm missing how attendance plays any factor in whether or not they should have intermissions?

Richie25
05-06-2010, 04:34 PM
hell they could have done autographs. or even sweep the track and clean off all the debris. he missed the race by 5-15 min. they could have done something. but its there o well mentality it will never change.

FERGBIZZ
05-06-2010, 04:36 PM
i guess the idea is more people will spend more $ if they have intermission but I don't think it makes any difference

Richie25
05-06-2010, 04:40 PM
This is one of the biggest factors in my opinion. We got out soooo early they really could have spared some time one way or another. I think I'm missing how attendance plays any factor in whether or not they should have intermissions?

agreed. attendance? it has not been to great. i remember once you got up out of you seat you could not get it back. the mod race is the biggest race of the night. everyone for the most part comes to see them race and put on a good show. i think there should be 30 min intermission before every mod race. let the mod drivers go and give autographs in the stands. let the track crew clean off the track ensuring a good track to put on a good show. they could do it. more then plenty of time to kill and burn off. maybe letting people in the stands interact more with the drivers will bring a bigger crowd?? but with the stands pretty empty and a full time mod racer just 20 min away and they start with out him???????? i dont understand it. plenty of time to kill to wait for him.

FERGBIZZ
05-06-2010, 04:42 PM
The show is bigger then one driver. Justin tried to make it back, but didn't! What about 20 other drivers that started, should we wait for them also, if they had another race or engagement going on? Justin had a great opportunity to race for someone and now he is doing so, his main priorities will be the Whelen tour, not Riverhead. Opening night, they want to get through the night without a hitch, no need for intermission when the stands aren't at full capacity. Just the way it is!

Riverhead was his priority for however many years its been. Now that he is branching out, moving on...they can't show a lil bit of courtesy and wait it out???

Turbo
05-06-2010, 04:47 PM
if anyone took notice as i did after the mod race, 90% of the people were still in their seats not rushing to go anywhere as if to say they were waiting for something else.

Turbo
05-06-2010, 04:50 PM
another thing is I wish they would put a schedule of events by the road like they use to. I had so many friends not even know the track was open yet and they live in riverhead.I hope they can put a sign with the weekly scheduled events for that week up there again so we can get more people to the track.

Golf Guy
05-06-2010, 07:40 PM
I don't know, this one is a tough call. On one hand I can definetly see waiting, especially considering all the circumstances. On the other hand you risk starting a dangerous precident. It is never easy running a business as decisions will always favorable to everyone.

Ka$h25
05-06-2010, 08:45 PM
I don't know, this one is a tough call. On one hand I can definetly see waiting, especially considering all the circumstances. On the other hand you risk starting a dangerous precident. It is never easy running a business as decisions will always favorable to everyone.

Yeah, thats the only defense I can really accept here. You do it for one and you'll be doing it for all. But that doesn't even seem like an issue to me. If 5 or 6 tour guys wanted to make the race would anyone be against waiting? I certainly wouldn't. I can't imagine the drivers would have much of a problem with it either.

The Bullfather
05-06-2010, 10:01 PM
Maybe we should ask TC, Eric Beers or any other numerous guys who race on tours if another track halted their show for one driver? I remember reading Richie Evans autobiography book, how him and Jerry Cook would race two races on the same day, one would make the show the other just pulling up to the gates as the show just started and this was for national nascar points! If they stopped this one show to wait for one driver, a lot of guys would think it's not right, what if they asked the track not to start a race till 8:30 cause they had an event to attend! What if Justin did make this race and was leading with points with two months under his belt at Riverhead and had the same situation, but this time the tour race went 20 mins longer, would we have to wait again??? Justin made the choice with his team, the tour is more important! No knock on Justin at all, he's a great driver and a good guy, but you can't stop the show! I work with music, if a band is late, we would work around it by putting another band ahead, that just the way it is, if they're the last band and they're not there....if people are there to see them, the crowd would wait, if not they would walk out! Now Modifieds are the main race and most people are there to see them, but this night they had nothing to go ahead of the main event! The officials did talk about it through out the night but the other division kept rolling through! The show had to go on, 20 other drivers were ready to roll!

Yes attendance does factor in intermissions! The stands make more money on those nights, opening night the crowd is not a full house or some years not even a quarter full! Let's slap together an autograph session, where's the tables and who coming to sign? Whose going to get autographs, a lot of the people there are die hard fans and there every week! Another 20 mins you can walk into the pits and sit in the cars for the kids and talk with the drivers. A little planning goes into autograph signings and don't do things unorganized! What they could have done to kill time was a driver introduction, but I think we'll see that for 100 lapper.

fisherman
05-07-2010, 05:13 AM
typical rhd now you know why nobodys coming back soon it will be 12 to16 fig8 drivers ,crews and fans so there goes more$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

allhailunc
05-07-2010, 05:14 AM
Geez-not happy if you leave early or late:lol:

allhailunc
05-07-2010, 05:24 AM
...or, to kill some time, Bob could have read from his joke book.

whomever bought him that book should be taked out&tarred&feathered:mad:
oh chit wait a minute that was me:rolleyes::D:lol:

mazz627
05-07-2010, 06:14 AM
I think they should have held the show up. I mean they already hold up the show long enough when certain favorites wreck on the track, meaning they hold up the race for more than the normally alloted caution laps that a driver is supposed to get. So why not hold up the start of the race for someone who has dedicated a lot of time to the track, whether it is in go karts or a modified.

art11758
05-07-2010, 07:27 AM
"Back in the day, when Riverhead and Freeport both ran Friday nights, if we got rained out early at Freeport, we would call ahead to Riverhead. If we made it we either went out as the last car in the consi or the feature. I don't remember them necessarily holding stuff up for us (sometimes a few others would come along), but they always tried to accomidate us." As told to me by an old timer who wishes to remain anonymous.

Golf Guy
05-07-2010, 11:05 AM
You cannot only look as it if tour drivers were on their way. What if a Late Model or Charger or any division who had a 'regular' running late wanted to have the show delayed. What if they had rain in the forecast and a Justin or another driver was a few minutes away and they wanted the show delayed. What if a driver in the race had somewhere to be after the race and didn't want the race delayed? Unfortunately I don't think there is an easy decision on this. Don't get me wrong, I like watching Justin and all the drivers who race at Riverhead and would like to see even more. We can just hope, as we do with all decisions at RH, that this decision is the same for everyone.

RGeeProductions
05-07-2010, 11:50 AM
For all his effort he gets a big OH WELL. Any chance at running for points is over, which means he most likely won't be trying too hard to make any races in the future, understandably so.

:disgusted

You think? Monadnock Tour race is a Saturday night, New Hampshire is a Saturday, Lime Rock is a Saturday .....
Monadnock is a definite miss, the other 2 would be difficult to be back....

Jaykwaz
05-07-2010, 01:16 PM
This is just another case of you can't make everyone happy.

Ka$h25
05-08-2010, 10:45 AM
I heart jbongs :)

Lugnuts
05-08-2010, 10:56 AM
Sticky subject, I understand everyones frustration regarding this issue. However, Justin finished I believe fifth and did not make it back, what if he had finished in the top three and had to go through tech? Do they still wait for him? As one has said previous in this post, you do it for one you better do it for all.

Not to add fuel to the fire but I'm on board with having more cars race, makes for a better show. Probably in my opinion they should have waited being it seemed as if they (the track) had been in constant contact with him from the time he left Stafford and knew exactly where he was on the return trip. The days where you had to race your way into the show through heats and consis are over. Believe me I for one like a bigger field. I guess this can be added to the list of bad decisions RVH has made. It probably won't be the last either.

As for Justin, Congratulations on your fifth place finish and whatever your decision is to either come race at RVH as scheduling permits or go elsewhere. Good luck in whatever you decide, your a class act with talent.

Attendance is down, car counts down, prices are up and yes, add this to the list of why people do not come. I had posted a blog last year regarding prices, gate, pit entry, food etc. How much more do you want people to spend. Various other tracks have lower fees full circle. Maybe RVH management needs to take a trip down to the "Madhouse" Bowman Gray Stadium and get some lessons. Opening night they packed and I mean packed the house with over 21,000 people. Yes it has a lot to do with the show but prior to the show they still put over 10,000 in the stands. Thats a far cry from the 3 or 400 RVH had on opening night, and yes it was a very nice day not the usual chilly May evening at the start of the season so we can't blame the weather.

Lets just hope that the economy gets better and that we will still have a track to go watch racing. I for one am not happy with the way some things are ran at RVH, however I'm a race fan, a former crew member and I will still keep coming.

night gent
05-08-2010, 11:30 AM
I agree with lugnuts. The entry fee at a regular ocfs show is 14$ for adults with kids free. Waterford and Stafford prices are in the same ballpark. I myself have to pay a bridge toll(highest in the country), along with about 8 gallons of gas to attend a Riverhead show. In this economy, the prices should be lowered to induce more customers.

southernmodfan
05-08-2010, 03:34 PM
Being as I have been to both places, the faclity at Bowman Gray is far superior to that of Riverhead, Reminds me of the 1960's type of grandstand where you fear falling through the wood. The south at least has concrete stairways aluminum bleachers and far reasonable prices and car counts. Tonites pre regristration counts are as follows: 72 stadium stock (4 cyl) 28 street stock, 32 sportsman (late model) and 30 modifieds. One other thing Lugnuts the attendance figure you stated was a little off it was 24,000 according to track staff a far cry from 300 - 400....$25.00 for a weekly show, no wonder nobody comes. A family of 4 with 2 kids under 12 the whole family gets in for $22.00. If it is ladies nite it would only be $13.00....Hope riverhead survives....

Sticky subject, I understand everyones frustration regarding this issue. However, Justin finished I believe fifth and did not make it back, what if he had finished in the top three and had to go through tech? Do they still wait for him? As one has said previous in this post, you do it for one you better do it for all.

Not to add fuel to the fire but I'm on board with having more cars race, makes for a better show. Probably in my opinion they should have waited being it seemed as if they (the track) had been in constant contact with him from the time he left Stafford and knew exactly where he was on the return trip. The days where you had to race your way into the show through heats and consis are over. Believe me I for one like a bigger field. I guess this can be added to the list of bad decisions RVH has made. It probably won't be the last either.

As for Justin, Congratulations on your fifth place finish and whatever your decision is to either come race at RVH as scheduling permits or go elsewhere. Good luck in whatever you decide, your a class act with talent.

Attendance is down, car counts down, prices are up and yes, add this to the list of why people do not come. I had posted a blog last year regarding prices, gate, pit entry, food etc. How much more do you want people to spend. Various other tracks have lower fees full circle. Maybe RVH management needs to take a trip down to the "Madhouse" Bowman Gray Stadium and get some lessons. Opening night they packed and I mean packed the house with over 21,000 people. Yes it has a lot to do with the show but prior to the show they still put over 10,000 in the stands. Thats a far cry from the 3 or 400 RVH had on opening night, and yes it was a very nice day not the usual chilly May evening at the start of the season so we can't blame the weather.

Lets just hope that the economy gets better and that we will still have a track to go watch racing. I for one am not happy with the way some things are ran at RVH, however I'm a race fan, a former crew member and I will still keep coming.

maestri fan 1
05-09-2010, 11:46 AM
My opinion not that it means too much, and nothing at all against Justin, but to hold up a race for one driver is not fair to the drivers that were there all day waiting. Now obviously the effort by Justin to get to the track was a very strong one and it's a shame he didn't make it.

Now, here is just an idea which im sure will never happen at this track but here it goes. Scheduled time starts. I was at Bowman Grey opening night this year with the rain out, but in their program was the schedule of the evenings races, along with start times, and time limits. Not that there are many people who wouldn't understand this but if you don't here is an example. and I will use this upcoming weekends events to show.

Scheduled events for May 15th
4:00- Figure 8 Time Trials
4:20- Nacar Modified Time Trials (consi immediately following if needed)
5:00- National Anthem
5:15- 20 Lap Blunderbust with a 30 minute time limit and 5 minute victory lane ceremony.
5:50- 20 or 25 Lap Late Models with a 30 minute time limit and 5 minute victory lane ceremony.
6:25- 20 Lap Double Point Figure 8 Race with a 30 minute time limit and 5 minute victory lane ceremony.
7:00- 100 Lap Nascar Modified race with no time limit.
8 Cylinder Enduro following the Modified race

Now if the track were to do something like this it would give drivers like Justin the knowledge of knowing regardless of when the race is going to start. Therefore if he knew for a fact that he would or would not make it he would know to give it a shot to get home. Who knows? maybe someone else will think this is a decent idea.

Also, one more thing because i'm sure people are going bring this up. Unfortunately in some divisions there tends to be a lot of cautions in a short amount of time. This would have to be completely up to the drivers to race clean and not wreck each other in order to get there race fully in during their assigned time limit. The unfortunate thing about this is that sometimes it takes this long to complete 5 laps. At other tracks it's a situation where no matter what when there time limit is up the race is over.

Take this as you will. It won't happen, but hey for drivers like Justin, this would have been A LOT of help for him on opening night.

maestri fan 1
05-09-2010, 11:49 AM
Also one more thing. $10.00 to get into Bowman-Grey where you see better racing than you would ever see at Riverhead. I watched 45 minutes of practice, and that itself was awesome.

RacinRob
05-09-2010, 12:02 PM
Being as I have been to both places, the faclity at Bowman Gray is far superior to that of Riverhead, Reminds me of the 1960's type of grandstand where you fear falling through the wood. The south at least has concrete stairways aluminum bleachers and far reasonable prices and car counts. Tonites pre regristration counts are as follows: 72 stadium stock (4 cyl) 28 street stock, 32 sportsman (late model) and 30 modifieds. One other thing Lugnuts the attendance figure you stated was a little off it was 24,000 according to track staff a far cry from 300 - 400....$25.00 for a weekly show, no wonder nobody comes. A family of 4 with 2 kids under 12 the whole family gets in for $22.00. If it is ladies nite it would only be $13.00....Hope riverhead survives....

Idk when the last time you were at riverhead, but we have aluminum bleaches everywhere with the exception of the turn 3 pit stands, also yea bowman gray has far higher car counts....but your in north Carolina. The heart of racing goes through north carolina, there is far more interest down south in racing. And yes the prices are high but when your the only show in town you can charge what you want.

maestri fan 1
05-09-2010, 12:21 PM
Idk when the last time you were at riverhead, but we have aluminum bleaches everywhere with the exception of the turn 3 pit stands, also yea bowman gray has far higher car counts....but your in north Carolina. The heart of racing goes through north carolina, there is far more interest down south in racing. And yes the prices are high but when your the only show in town you can charge what you want.

Only problem with them being the only show in town and charging an arm and a leg to take advantage of it is that soon they won't be there. No one comes anymore because of that. Hell I know i'm only one person but I was heading out there yesterday from West Babylon, I got to Bay Shore and said damn why am I going out there to waste money? It's a shame it really is. I love that track but i'm not spending money to watch crappy racing. LOWER THE GATE PRICES AND PEOPLE WILL COME!!!!!!!! I don't understand what part of that this the track doesn't understand.:disgusted

Lugnuts
05-09-2010, 06:01 PM
Maestri fan - I said exactly the same thing last year on this forum, suggesting a ladies night as bowman gray does, lower food prices, increased purses for drivers and so on. I was blasted by a few who more or less were saying as you did Rob that they can pretty much charge what they want and have a right to make money. No doubt, however all I was doing was putting a idea out there that might work. I also said that with lower prices, people come, more people at lower prices would equal more money.

Rob I understand your comment about N.C being the heart of racing however, I for one can remember RVH with stands on many nights where you could hardly get out of the stands to use the restroom or go to the concession stand. As for tour nights I remember getting there late a few times and not being able to sit where I usually do because the crowd.

I think what most are probably in agreement with is that they better try something other than continuing to support the load on the dedicated race fan or we all won't have anywhere to go.

southernmodfan
05-09-2010, 09:08 PM
Hey folks, I went over to BG saturday afternoon just to look around, they opened the pit area on a regular basis all day so you can talk to whoever is there, ok they run you out at 5:00 pm but most of the drivers are there around 3:30 so can can buy stuff off of their trailers talk to them photos etc. very accomodating atmosphere. If you have never been I am sure they can squeeze any of you that want to experience it. Last night the crowd was not as big as it was on May 1st, but still put 18,000 in the stands. Free parking. For those of you that want to see what it is all about get on www.wxii.com go under the sports heading and check it out they have highlights from the night of racing.....RVH does not have to do the reduced price thing every night try it a couple of times on a night when there is nothing special going on and compare the stands. when people come and see the prices are down word will get around. The tracks that run here in competition with BG they struggle as well, the atmosphere makes a difference. Talked to someone last night from upstate NY and they already said thay they will come back here twice more before the end of the season. Program at BG is 3.00 and it is 40 pages atricles and advertisements and driver rosters...Thanks for your support lugnuts, come on down and experience "The Madhouse"

hollywoodmic
05-09-2010, 11:14 PM
It's hard to compare Bowman Gray and Riverhead Raceway. Correct me if I'm wrong, their racetrack is on municipal land, no??? I believe the taxes and liability insurance is paid for by the county or the school taxes paid by the people in the town. I could be wrong but I have been told that before. If you gave Riverhead no taxes and no liability insurance I'm sure the prices would be lower. I don't agree with everything they do, but if you're going to compare lets compare apples to apples. Why do businesses move off of Long Island and head down South, because it costs a lot of money to do business in NY State. Again I'm not saying they di everything right but if you're going to compare the costs you have to put costs of doing business here. I also know that BG may pay additional insurances but it's nothing compared to the insurances these people have to pay.

Ka$h25
05-10-2010, 07:53 AM
Maybe we should ask TC, Eric Beers or any other numerous guys who race on tours if another track halted their show for one driver?

I think I saw Waterford Speedbowl hold up their show for Keith Rocco the weekend of the Ice Breaker. I'm sure it's not that rare.

Jaws
05-10-2010, 08:32 AM
I think I saw Waterford Speedbowl hold up their show for Keith Rocco the weekend of the Ice Breaker. I'm sure it's not that rare.

I was at both that Sat. and I do not believe they waited for anyone, including the special guest from down South.

Fkraft99
05-10-2010, 12:28 PM
They waited Jaws prob didnt seem like it to many fans cause instead of having a one ten min intermisson you can sneak 5, 2 min intermissons between races and no one seems to notice. Plus they adjusted their schedule to have the mod heats last that night, usually they are earlier in the night. I was trying to get back as well to spot for Shawn Solomito, and when I spoke to race director Tom Fox he told me they were gonna do everything they could to wait for Keith and Burt so I had plenty of time.

Jaws
05-10-2010, 01:06 PM
Did not know that.

Fkraft99
05-10-2010, 01:55 PM
Thats probably a good thing, that they could wait without it being noticeable to the Fans.

southernmodfan
05-10-2010, 06:58 PM
Ok I will. My wife (whose father races at Bowman Gray back in the 60's and early 70's) and I talked to the owners and the promoter on Saturday afternoon and they got to talking about the insurance factor. 1. Bowman-Gray is on the campus of a university, and the stadium pays their own insurance, the details I will not reveal, but the university does not foot the bill for anything it is solely the fan base who actually ends up paying for it all. 2. They carry insurance on everyone who enters the stadium for the drivers, crew, track crew and spectators so the county and or city do not pay for any of it. I don't know who told you what but I got this info right from the horses mouth so to speak. Sorry to deflate your balloon. Come on down and experience it, it's a 10 hour ride from the Island I used to live there.....You will not be disappointed.

It's hard to compare Bowman Gray and Riverhead Raceway. Correct me if I'm wrong, their racetrack is on municipal land, no??? I believe the taxes and liability insurance is paid for by the county or the school taxes paid by the people in the town. I could be wrong but I have been told that before. If you gave Riverhead no taxes and no liability insurance I'm sure the prices would be lower. I don't agree with everything they do, but if you're going to compare lets compare apples to apples. Why do businesses move off of Long Island and head down South, because it costs a lot of money to do business in NY State. Again I'm not saying they di everything right but if you're going to compare the costs you have to put costs of doing business here. I also know that BG may pay additional insurances but it's nothing compared to the insurances these people have to pay.

Jaws
05-10-2010, 07:21 PM
Its easier to pay for things when there ae 20,000 people in the stands.

southernmodfan
05-10-2010, 08:41 PM
Absolutely so what has RVH got to lose by trying to do something to get the fan base so they can do more things I am not saying $10.00 but try $15.00...If you are asking $25 and only get say 500 that gets you 12500, but if you draw 1000 at $15 thats 15000, who becomes the winner then? Everyone. Also the night sponsors of each night of racing normally give stuff away too, opening night May 1st Aarons Rents gave a way a 40" HD LCD TV, and a car lot gave away $500.00 cash to one fan, it's stuff like that and good prices that bring people out especially in the state of the economy. It is cheaper than going to a movie these days. You pay $10.00 for a movie and may see a real stinker. Here it is excitement all the time everytime. I will be at BG again this weekend seeing a full night for $10.00 and may even have a Hamburger and or hot dog and not lose an arm and leg either. For all you race fans on the island as I said in an earlier statement I hope Riverhead survives....

Its easier to pay for things when there ae 20,000 people in the stands.