PDA

View Full Version : The Flipping Five

NeetsSpectator
05-10-2010, 08:21 PM
The last half of the Dave Bentley Jr. #5 car flip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmUkeAsbzJ8

ThePill
05-10-2010, 08:58 PM
Sad to see another quality car bite the mud (no dust yesterday)

I think the 17 car should have been black flagged. A car rolls in front of and he stops then as the red is obviously coming out he floors it through the infield and almost hits a track safety worker. :disgusted

DerbyN8-128
05-10-2010, 10:01 PM
wow that was a pretty nasty roll there.

CJfilms
05-10-2010, 10:09 PM
Although we want all drivers to stop immediately when a nasty situation occurs....he did what was necessary...

First off, he got out of the way for emergency crews to have enough room to work.

Secondly, he gave himself a clear path for the green...last thing we want to see is his car stuck somewhere that he will have to literally back up to get a clear path.

Typically, we will move cars around to allow them a clear start...but he did not do anything to warrant removing him from the race......from my standpoint...he did move a little far though...

ThePill
05-10-2010, 10:28 PM
It bothers me more that he went through the infield.

DerbyN8-128
05-10-2010, 10:52 PM
after re-watching, I now see what you are talking about here. I would have to agree, it was a REALLY stupid move and he could have hit that fire fighter there. Obviously he just saw a car roll over, the red flag is going to be out, he was stopped...then took off around the crash.

everyone is always pushing the "slow down and get your car stopped as soon as possible when the red comes out"...here the red is obviously going to fly, weather the driver has seen it or not, and he decides to actually start moving again.

Although I don't think he should have been removed...moving under red should have knocked him down a lap in my opinion. from what I saw in the video, that track worker got lucky.

AK17
05-11-2010, 09:57 AM
For the record...that is NOT the 17 car that went through the infield.

CAPTAIN
05-11-2010, 11:03 AM
I think it was bad what happened to the 5 car, i know i got wrecked also, but bentley's dad, crew member or who ever he was did not have to go down to tech after the 17k driver. 17k stated that he did not hit the 5, now i am only going from the 17k word. I am not saying 17k did not hit him, i am only going by what i was told. Bentleys "crew member" should have kept himself in the pits where he belongs. Maybe, just maybe the 5 car had a wheel break, the wheel did go up the track. Maybe not. I saw the crash, but i was i turn two, i had a bad angle, but there was no reason to go to the tech area to start a fight. Take your lumps like everyone else and move on!!! I am glad to see bentley was ok.

Steve Haegele
05-11-2010, 01:02 PM
Bad Taste is coming on a forum and ripping the track owner.

Danger83Ranger
05-11-2010, 01:09 PM
:lol::lol: very true. but as stated before, the only way to be heard, is to go to kenny himself. but after that drivers meeting sunday, i dont think thats going to do any good anymore...haha

CJfilms
05-11-2010, 02:09 PM
For the record...that is NOT the 17 car that went through the infield.

Um....actually it was....it was the #17K though, not you Art!

CJfilms
05-11-2010, 02:18 PM
As for someone starting a fight in the tech area.....this is news to me. I did not hear anything about this, but I'm looking into it.

I spoke with Dave after the race on the phone....he told me he went into the corner fast (maybe a little too fast, looking back) and felt something let go....he did feel what felt like a hit from another car, however he felt something "let go" first. If he did get hit by the #17K, it was because he was already in either a spin or losing control at that point.

One thing I know is that BOTH 17's (17 of Art Kulik and 17K of Russ Killian) have been in the wrong place at the wrong time when it comes to cars flipping....think back to Nate's flip last season...but, neither driver is vindictive or overly aggressive. They both race cool and collected.

IF Dave was hit by the #17K, it was not intentional. Yes, the wheel came off and flew past the car after it was done flipping...VERY similar to both the #44 and #71 that flipped late last season. Most likely what happened was the wheel broke and the car lost control, dug down into the dirt and slowed (or nearly stopped) the car right in front of the #17K. With no time to react, and nothing that could have really prevented this, the 17K probably did bump him.

Dave told me he saw no paint on his bumper that resembled the 17K's colors. So, let's take the 17's off the chopping block at this point and move forward....thank God Dave is not hurt and we should ALL hope he returns soon....he is the defending Small Car Champion!

Danger83Ranger
05-11-2010, 02:31 PM
Pork chop sandwiches!

Danger83Ranger
05-11-2010, 02:38 PM
from what i can gather from J Lynns photos, he did 4 complete flips. thats a new record i believe. glad hes ok

nscrchick
05-11-2010, 02:38 PM
I saw the flip happen from the pitside stands..Both cars were racing hard going into turn 3. If the 17K did hit the 5 it was in racing form, which I'm not sure he did because right before the flip I watched the 5 car's front end go down like he hit a pothole/gully. And after watching the you tube clip after the flip I did see the 17k car go around the 5 yes the firefighter was close but did not seem like he was in any danger. Also, the 17k kept going but seeing the video I saw the 127, 39 and 2 other cars go flying by too so why single out the 17k???
Next yes there was an incident down where the cars were being teched I think it was the #5's dad going after the 17k, why was he in the infield?? He had no business being there especially trying to cause a problem. But I guess this is his nature because he tried to start a fight at the December banquet!!! People were giving speeches and he was yelling at someone at the table next to him acting like a goof trying to pick a fight!! Went on for quite awhile. NO RESPECT to Joe and the rest of the Neets crew who were the ones talking at the time.
Next, has the rule changed about leaving the cars on the track??? Cuz they towed the 5 car off the track, just curious. Hope it has!!

Erin C
05-11-2010, 02:50 PM
The rule has not changed, cars are to be left on the track...I wasn't even aware it was removed!! The only reason I could think of it being removed is in the event of a fuel leak, that would be too dangerous to be left on the track if there was a fuel leak

And the 17k was not in the wrong, everything happened right in front of him and he had no where to go. If I were in the same spot I would get around the car fast, too so the proper track crew can check on him to make sure he was ok. He reacted quickly out of the best interest of the driver in the flipped car.

NeetsSpectator
05-11-2010, 02:52 PM
Next, has the rule changed about leaving the cars on the track??? Cuz they towed the 5 car off the track, just curious. Hope it has!!

I edited the video. The towing of the #5 car was done after the race was over.

Poppop
05-11-2010, 02:54 PM
:lol:I think somebody just looked at the video clips. I drove around the dead #5 a whole lot of times. It didn't get towed till after the race.:lol:
And Dave types faster than me.

Erin C
05-11-2010, 02:59 PM
:lol:I think somebody just looked at the video clips. I drove around the dead #5 a whole lot of times. It didn't get towed till after the race.:lol:

I didn't think it was! I was really racking my brain there trying to remember if it was removed and now I am relieved that I didn't remember because it didn't happen, I am not going crazy! :lol:

rk1714
05-11-2010, 03:02 PM
As for what happened to the #5 , the right rear broke on the car. I never touched him. I guess they are looking to put the blame on someone. The car couldn`t possibly of had a mechanical failure. As for the incident at tech, we did have words ( it was his father spouting off) and I think I made myself very clear as to my point .Maybe they should of talked to me and asked if I had seen anything.

CJfilms
05-11-2010, 03:05 PM
I edited the video. The towing of the #5 car was done after the race was over.

THANK YOU DAVE!!!! I thought I was losing my mind! LOL!!!

Yes, the car did remain where it was on the track.....however, we will be having a NEETS Officials' meeting over issues we are having internally.

Apparently, a few of our infield helpers and volunteers are not aware of some of our rules and the unwritten rules. This is understandable since most of the people in the infield are tow truck operators, EMT or fire crews. Their first reaction to a flipped car is obviously get the driver out and to safety, then flip it over and move it off the track....WRONG.... We will flip the car back over so it is at least on its wheels, however it will not be moved. Their natural reaction is right for most racing conditions....but, we're not most racing conditions! LOL!!!

The biggest issue is that the officials who have been with the series the longest are in the most necessary positions....flagging and tech. Most of our NEETS infielders are either volunteers or part-timers (meaning that they are not at each and every race). We will be having a meeting to coordinate with our guys so that we can all work together on the same thought process...no one will be doing their own thing. Also, a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link....therefore if we are relying on someone who does not know our unwritten rules which we have formulated over years of working together...we cannot expect them to be on our level.

Lastly, welcome aboard Christine!

CJfilms
05-11-2010, 03:10 PM
As for the incident at tech, we did have words...

I'm glad that only "words" were had there..... We do not tolerate fighting on any level. Drivers/crew/etc. involved in fights will be removed...regardless of who started it.

I hope the issue has been resolved between/among you all.....I will check in with Dave Jr. tonight again to see how he is and I will be speaking with Sr. as well....I know he can be hot-tempered given he saw his son flip, it's very possible to be enraged beyond reason....putting the blame on someone else is the easiest thing to do...we've all done it at some point in time.

Thankfully, and most importantly, no one was hurt during the incident, in tech afterward and hopefully no feelings were hurt either. Let's all move on and keep on racin'!

Danger83Ranger
05-11-2010, 03:26 PM

lol im with kenny on this one. we drove passed the #5 for what 30-40 laps? lol:lol: it was never towed off the track till after the race

NeetsSpectator
05-11-2010, 03:42 PM
A little video editing and look at what I've stirred up!

Hmm... What if I played Critters crash backwards . . .

DerbyN8-128
05-11-2010, 04:00 PM
Um....actually it was....it was the #17K though, not you Art!

If it would have been the 17...I'd start to wonder about him :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Nah, after the 17 got into me in turn 1 last year and I rolled, I was a little frustrated at first because everyone was saying "the 17 dumped you" or "he did it intentionally". Even a track official told me that Art crashed me.

Everyone gets bent out of shape too quickly and doesn't stop and look at the big picture. We are driving (what are supposed to be) completely stock cars that were never intended for racing at high speeds around a bumpy mud covered dirt track with 20 -30 other cars...it's a recipe for disaster.

In my case, the 17 did get into me leading to my roll over, I hold nothing against him and have talked to him in the pits at races after that. To me, it was just racing, and neither of us could have avoided what happened.

It sucks what happened to the 5 car, it's not fun rolling, but I wouldn't blame the 17k for the roll...weather he hit him or not.

CJfilms
05-11-2010, 08:12 PM
Hmm... What if I played Critters crash backwards . . .

Elephant noises before the wall? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :p

Nate, well said!

CAPTAIN
05-11-2010, 11:03 PM
bad taste is coming on a forum and ripping the track owner.

wtf??? The guy shoved it right up all of our a$$e$, and you want to sit there and say, oohhh, its ok. I do not care what anyone here thinks, i know what happened, if you want to race in those ****ty conitions and tear up your equiptment and possible get killed, then go ahead. I took a head on collision because of kenny rodgers neglect, and I got a totaled car for my efforts. I know racing is dangerous, i choose to race, but if the condition are that horrible, then what is my incentive to come back. Cars get damaged beyond repair, or not repaired properly,car counts will dwindle, then guess what else dwindles away??? Your payout. Someone needs to "rip the track owner". I am far from scared to speak my mind. If someone speaks up, maybe something will be done.
This is the captain

Steve Haegele
05-12-2010, 08:59 AM
Not here to get into a pissin match with you captain, but some guys like the wet. Not sure if you caught the gsp video, but the clip has you hanging the car out in 3 and 4 out of control bouncing off everything in your way. Your not going to go 100 laps driving like that in the mud. I dont know what is so hard about chillin for the 1st 20 laps and then go racing. Far as someone getting killed, I think there is a better chance getting hurt by throwing the green on a dry track verses a wet track, were only goin 25 mph in the wet. Flemington, Bridgeport, Nazereth, all the tracks we`ve been runnin at for 25 plus years wet the track down. We dont run Big Diamond, and I guess that is what your use too. I think it is a challenge and love the mud, but to each his own. I think if you have a beef with Kenny, pull him aside at the track and voice your opinion, he`s a good listener, but to call him out on a public forum cant be good for any of us, JMO.

EnduroFromDE
05-12-2010, 09:42 AM
HELLZ YEA!! I love racing on the mud...JMO too...I say add more water :lol: only bad thing is spending a day cleaning it after the race...

Danger83Ranger
05-12-2010, 09:50 AM
I dont even clean mine, I bring the dirt back to the track...:lol::lol:

CAPTAIN
05-12-2010, 12:47 PM
First of all, i thought we we dirt racing, not mud racing. This is not the old slide stock division. Wanna guess why i was hanging it out all over the place?? I could not see, my helmet was caked with mud, too much water on the track screwed us all, even you. Second, why do we need to "chill-out" for 20 laps. Try telling that to von doran, howard, or billy pauch. I just want the same track as the modifieds get. Hell, the damn speedsters got a better track . I want to race 100 laps, not 75 to 80, thats not what we all paid for. We do not have these problems at big diamond, or new egypt speedways. Third, i thought this was the place to speak our minds. Everyone has opinion. I know i might stress mine more than others, but what do you do when your pissed off. Something needs to be done, i know joe stated that something would be done. I guess we will see. Have a nice day!!!

Danger83Ranger
05-12-2010, 01:16 PM
I like you captain, you make my day go quicker with the occasional laugh that you bring to me. please dont stop. :lol:

DerbyN8-128
05-12-2010, 04:40 PM
Hell, the damn speedsters got a better track .

Good point.

Philter39
05-12-2010, 05:24 PM
JLynns photo show that the 17k had nothing to do with the car flipping. Check them out.

phil

Track Fire Guy
05-12-2010, 09:20 PM
To all drivers,
I reviewed the video of the 5 car flipping. I have no problem if a car has to go into the infield to get out of the way of a flip if you have no other choice. What I ask for is if you have to do so, make sure that any emergency personnel that are going to the scene are aware that you are going to do it. After a flip like that on Sunday, we are focused on the car itself, is the driver ok, is there fire, fuel leaking?, there is a chance we might not see you. So just take your time in the infield, if we see you, we can motion you to expedite through the scene. Also, so that everyone is aware, I have a fireman posted between 1 and 2. and the Brush truck by the flag pole in the center of the infield. If you know your car is on fire, or think it is on fire, direct yourself to either location. We have extinguishers at those 2 spots.

Andy
Vol. Barto Fire Co.
Grandview Fire Crew

Jon Haegele
05-12-2010, 10:22 PM
Main Entry: en·duro
Pronunciation: \in-ˈdu̇r-(ˌ)ō, -ˈdyu̇r-\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural en·dur·os
Etymology: endurance + -o (Italian or Spanish masculine noun ending)
Date: 1935
: a long race (as for automobiles or motorcycles) stressing endurance rather than speed

CAPTAIN
05-12-2010, 10:30 PM
Are you really that retarded??? WE ARE TALKIN ABOUT SAFETY, NOT WHAT A RACE IS!!!

mcstockcar
05-12-2010, 10:31 PM
Couldnt say it any better! Some people think its so easy! "just drivin around in circles"......YEAH RITE!:lol:

RICK16RACIN
05-12-2010, 10:45 PM
I would like to know how he got in the infeild also , did he really start a fight ????:confused: sounds like he didnt have a clear head and was worried about his son (understandable) after watching the video and looking at the pictures I really think the wheel broke first and if there was any contact it happend after!! his car was apperantlly having problems before that cause he spun all by him self in turn 1 right before that flip!! ( not the time he hit the disabled car !)

STU
05-18-2010, 08:40 PM
In the slow mo replay check out the 3rd turn flagger. Talk about quick on the draw with the red flag to get the cars stopped. No doubt the best 3rd turn flagger in the sport!:DHEHE

DerbyN8-128
05-20-2010, 06:33 PM
To all drivers...

Andy
Vol. Barto Fire Co.
Grandview Fire Crew

Welcome to the message board Andy :wave:

CJfilms
05-20-2010, 08:40 PM
Welcome aboard Andy, glad to see new people always coming online!

Captain....calm down....I think he got you a little revved up back there.....I've never see you not use ALL CAPS!!! LOL!!! :-B

I think the discussion of "what" enduro racing is all about has been exhausted....we all know why we're out there....whatever side of the fence you come from, we all have our reasons. In the end, we're coming together to have fun....in the end, regardless of your means or reason, HAVE FUN!

punchy
05-21-2010, 02:07 PM
we all know why we're out there....whatever side of the fence you come from, we all have our reasons. In the end, we're coming together to have fun....in the end, regardless of your means or reason, HAVE FUN!

AMEN to that JOE!:wave: