PDA

View Full Version : Cavalier wheel bearings

Poppop
06-16-2010, 05:44 AM
:)For all you Cavalier or Sunfire drivers. Most of you know that the right rear wheel bearings are a weak spot on these cars and will eventually fail unless you replace the hub frequently. Of course you can't tell from one race to the next exactly when, but when it does, the wheel comes off and you have a very good chance of a roll over or worse. I found a way to help prevent this on the J-body forum and after checking with Joe and Rick on the legality I would like to share this fix with anyone that's interested. It involves removing the stock hub and replacing it with one from an early 90's caravan. There is quite a bit of work involved with making it fit but it leaves you with tapered roller bearings that can be serviced. The wheel studs are the same and you use the original brakes so there is no difference in the location of the wheel or any of the suspension. I made the change on my old car last year and when I took a hit that pushed the top of the wheel in about five inches there was no problem with the hub. Of course I can't say the same for some other parts.:lol: Anyhow it's a little more safety and I wanted to share it with you.

Poppop

richardpetey
06-16-2010, 10:00 AM
Hey Poppop! Gotta fix for malibu tire malfunctions........................:help:
UNCLE PETEY..............................:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Poppop
06-16-2010, 10:16 AM
:pI think 1/4" boiler plate fender skirts might work if they were an original equipment option.:lol: