PDA

View Full Version : 3 RACES @ LOUDON in 2011 ?

MOD11RACER
06-21-2010, 04:19 PM
Good News. Looks like the Indy cars will race @ Loudon on the weekend of July 30-31 in 2011. It was announced @ the Iowa Indy race this past weekend. It would be great if the WMT will join them on that weekend in 2011.

BigMac
06-21-2010, 05:12 PM
Well I'll be damned, its true. Could make for an awesome open wheel weekend. Lets hope that the IRL and Nascar can play nice in the sandbox on this one. It would be another good purse for the WMT.

TnLRacing
06-21-2010, 08:33 PM
Have you seen this???

New Hampshire could move race date: The owner of New Hampshire Motor Speedway said Thursday he will consider moving next year's summer race if Loudon's police chief doesn't cut the cost for providing safety details. NHMS owner Bruton Smith said that if he can't reach a compromise with the town on security costs, he may move next June's race from New Hampshire [like to maybe...Kentucky Speedway?]. "The dates are scheduled year to year with contracts with NASCAR," said Jerry Gappens, NHMS vice president. "There is the option of doing that. Let's hope it doesn't come to that option." Gappens said Loudon charges too much to organize security, and Loudon's police chief makes too much doing it. He said Chief Robert Fiske makes $50 per hour, amounting to almost $59,000 for covering the races over five years. NHMS is asking Loudon to reduce its price tag for June's upcoming race from $170,000 to $65,000. "No, we're not prepared to do that," said Loudon Selectman Roger Maxfield. "The answer is no, we won't." Maxfield said he thinks $170,000 to cover an influx of 100,000 people is reasonable, as is Fiske's hourly rate. "He's also in control of 80 full-time officers, so that's a large detail," Maxfield said. NHMS has suggested cutting 38 police officers from its camp grounds and replacing them with private security guards supported by a few officers. Fiske said that plan isn't in the best interest of public safety. "The crime is consistent with a city of that size," he said. "We have alleged rapes and assaults, let alone the DWIs."(wmur.com)(6-18-2010)

Gil
06-22-2010, 01:58 AM
Looks like the new owner is too cheap to live up to the deal made by Mr. Bahre back in the day????

Too sad it has come to this!!!

:disgusted:disgusted:disgusted

BigMac
06-22-2010, 06:49 AM
Don't be so fast to blame Bruton here. This has been going on for over a year. There are a lot of local (crooked) politics involved here.

Sicklajoie
06-22-2010, 08:17 AM
Bruton is a horse's ass.
A multi-billionaire is having a fit over $100,000???
It's nothing but an excuse to get a 2nd date for Vegas.
Nothing but a big middle finger to the 100,000 New England fans that attend the June race.

This is the same guy who puts up 20 million for someone who wins the Indy 500/World 600 on the same day, the same guy that has a $1,000,000 purse for a Legends race at Charlotte in July, but has a purse under $100,000 for the Bristol mod race. :rolleyes:

Magicshoes12
06-22-2010, 08:28 AM
Bruton is a horse's ass.
A multi-billionaire is having a fit over $100,000???
It's nothing but an excuse to get a 2nd date for Vegas.
Nothing but a big middle finger to the 100,000 New England fans that attend the June race.

This is the same guy who puts up 20 million for someone who wins the Indy 500/World 600 on the same day, the same guy that has a $1,000,000 purse for a Legends race at Charlotte in July, but has a purse under $100,000 for the Bristol mod race. :rolleyes:

agree 100% just sounds like the guy is trying to get the local people angry at the local officals and then will high tail it out of town and just look back and say it was their fault they lost a race when in all reality when he bought the track that is the one thing he had in mind was to move a race away.....i remember the first spring race under his ownership that guy charged my 1 1/2 year old son (at the time) $5 to get in, i know its not much but its the principal....he has no respect for the fans or for any of the racing....its all about money!!! i honestly think Nascar should step up and finally do something about it.....but they'll just treat it like the tour mods and let it slowly become nothing!!!

Jaws
06-22-2010, 10:04 AM
Hey, this is the guy who threatened to move his whole race track over the permits for a new Drag Strip.

he will win on this one, he always does.

catfish
06-22-2010, 11:53 AM
Unfortunately from a business side, the taxi cabs suck at Loudon (it's not alone however). When he bought the track i guarantee this was part of his plan to get a race away from here to somewhere he feels he can make more money. With TV ratings and ticket sales down all over he is looking to keep his pockets as full as possible. It might suck for the Mods as they put on the beat show of the weekend but from his end they don't pay the bills. I hate that it may come to that and i really hope it does not but you need to look at it from a dollar and cents point of view!

MOD11RACER
06-22-2010, 12:31 PM
You have to agree with Jaws.

#1- Smith has always threatened the people of Loudon with anything from beer sales and lights for night racing. Are we keeping score yet Smith 2 the town of Loudon 0. He (Smith) has a personal line of communication with the Governor. The same with the people of Canterbury who said he could not put lights in, so Smith told them he would move that corner of the race track so the town of Canterbury would miss out on the big taxes. In all of these cases, including the track at Lowes Smith always comes out the winner.

#2- Smith can not even sell out the Bristol Cup events anymore. The last time I looked Loudon was doing very well putting fannies in those seats.

#3- Smith is not stupid and with this terrible economy he is looking to get every dollar he can out of these towns and not just in NH, but with all of the tracks that Smith owns.

#4- Even if Smith decided to move one of the Cup dates to another track I would bet Loudon would still have the Modifieds with another touring series on some other date. Smith still has to make money some how and letting the track sit idle will not help him in the pocket book. Smith is always looking to make money.

#5- It is already know that Smith has inquired if the Modifieds could run a 200 lap race @ Loudon and of course the answer is yes and Smith has inquired about bringing the Modifieds to the big tracks @ Lowes and Atlanta and I know of one prominent Modified car builder that said it would be no problem racing @ those two tracks, but the car builder also said that the Modifieds would have to get paid and not the $90,000 purse that they race for now.

Why not have a million dollar race for the Modifieds. Sounds good to me.

Jaws
06-22-2010, 12:34 PM
The official release for this race shows a $160,000+ purse, I assume that is with all the fuzzy math money too.

BigMac
06-22-2010, 02:08 PM
NHMS is part of SMI, which is a publicly traded company. Their goal as well as their job is to make money for themselves and their stockholders. Regardless of how much money Bruton has his goal is to make more. Bob Bahre started charging $100 a camper after offering free camping for years. Why, because it was a way to make more money. People were calling him by the same names they are calling Bruton now. The state of NH is not going to let a multimillion dollar cash cow walk out the door over $100,000. NHMS is one of the top drawing tracks in the country. Bruton gets more people at one NHMS race than he does at two Atlanta races. Not to mention the fact that he does pretty well on the Saturday races as well. The man gave the modifieds a Bristol date. He just brought back the IRL. He lowered Sunday ticket prices. He might provide a third date for the modifieds in NH. Why all the hate for Bruton?? He just might turn out to be the WMT's best friend.

MJProcko
06-22-2010, 02:52 PM
From a business point of view, trying to lower the expenses for security is something big businesses do. I don't like it but SMI is a conglomerate comprised of many tracks and it is up to SMI as a whole to make money just not one track. Now, that said, in order to SMI to maximize profits smi needs to get a second date at Vegas and a date at Kentucky. In my opinion, taking a date from NH isn't the first thing I would do considering the attendance there. I would first take a date from California since 2 dates there are a waste. That CA crowd is on to the next fad so one date would be all they need. But it would seem the NH date is destined for Kentucky and replaced with a IRL date. Time for Kevin Manion to repaint the #7 in godaddy colors and get a smaller seat for NH.

Jaws
06-22-2010, 03:23 PM
Lets get back to the point of this thread, the potential of 3 races at NH- OH BABY!:)

limodmaniac
06-22-2010, 03:35 PM
I'm still hoping for 4, a stand alone event for the modifieds!

Axel
06-22-2010, 04:48 PM
i have a vision--- the Race of Champions on a weekend where all big series are off.

100 cars show up & 60 cars start. :drool:

BigMac
06-22-2010, 06:00 PM
Assuming the mods did run a 3rd race on IRL weekend (July 30-31)and I know its a big assumption at this point. What would happen to the Riverhead date in 2011? The August schedule is usually booked solid. Maybe its to early to think about something like that.

smitty240
06-26-2010, 09:34 PM
North Wilksboro :mad:

limodmaniac
06-26-2010, 10:07 PM
They can just move Riverhead up a week. And who knows if even Monadnock will have a tour race next year? I've heard rumors Spencer could get the tour back next year. Maybe the real reason they didn't have the tour back this year is because the new asphalt wasn't going to allow good racing the first year. Or run Riverhead in June. Before the school year is out and we'll try to pack the place and make it even bigger than this years. Right now there's not much happening in June on the tour schedule.