PDA

View Full Version : New Mod Ideas

GLC050
07-06-2010, 08:21 PM
If you had One thing you could change about the tour what would it be ?

I would reduce the financial requirement to enter a race. If I wanted to race just a few races it would costs over $4,000.00 just for NASCAR Licenses for my team.

cornellsgt12
07-06-2010, 08:29 PM
I would like to see a promoter/track owner take the chance and offer up big money for a race which would include the top 10 drivers in ponts from the four major modified racing series (NWMT,ROC,MRS,NWSMT),

worm
07-06-2010, 10:02 PM
get rid of the flash races,if we wanted to run MRS we would,this is the WMT !

Axel
07-06-2010, 10:20 PM
increase the purses.

What has happened to the purses over the years is a travesty. All costs have increased and the purses have stayed the same.

Or maybe a giant RoC type race.

chrome horn
07-06-2010, 11:30 PM
Maybe a deal at Lime Rock like you see at Thompson. 3-4 races 30 laps 2500 or so to win. Make the investment worth it for more than one race.

I'd also like to see one of the old school "run what you brung" open competitions.

Teds Race Tours
07-07-2010, 12:25 AM
Teds Modified Tour.

For me, Old is New.

All Races Feature Heats, Consis, and an A Feature, since the revenue comes from the fans, we must entertain them(us)

every car that shows up gets points based on finish in consi

Not every feature needs to be 150 laps. Sizzler Goes Back to 80 laps, Fall Final Now 200

Icebreaker 75 laps like the old days.

Thompson 300 is Back

Have a Double Header Weekend at one or more tracks, sort of like an outlaws weekend.

Riverhead gets 2 races again.

sorry, couldnt stop at one.

Racer1_NC
07-07-2010, 12:34 AM
I may make a couple people mad, but I'd sure like to see a ROC like I used to attend at Pocono.

Jaws
07-07-2010, 08:25 AM
I may make a couple people mad, but I'd sure like to see a ROC like I used to attend at Pocono.

Are you kidding 100 plus mods trying to qualify on the 3/4 mile oval. Gee who would want that!

CTtoPA
07-07-2010, 09:54 AM
The Whelen Modified Tour has a fantastic product but very little support from NASCAR. IMHO the modifieds need to be promoted as their own entity from a grassroots type of campaign. The purses probably won't increase much without the right type of person heading the marketing campaign. Or a generous corporation comes in with a deep advertising budget.

1hossfeldfan
07-07-2010, 10:43 AM
I would like to see a promoter/track owner take the chance and offer up big money for a race which would include the top 10 drivers in ponts from the four major modified racing series (NWMT,ROC,MRS,NWSMT),

To elaborate on this point, on this board there is a dedicated LI mod fan who has raised A LOT of money for the tour's Riverhead race this year.

Could we, as the fans, do something similar working with a track owner/ promoter to make this kind of race a reality amongst the different modified series?

For example, take the ROC race at Oswego. Over the years the mod counts for this race have dwindled with a 10,000 winning purse. It seems as though a major issue seems to be the value of showing up and finishing deep in the field and losing a ton of money for your effort. If the fans were to come together (i.e this years Riverhead race concept) and gather up money to add to the purse 1st through last, could there truly be a Race of Champions? Every mod series coming together under an agreed upon set of rules (easier said than done I'm sure)? If you show up and don't qualify but were to still take home say $1500, I could picture a pit filled of 60+ mods.

The Oswego race is just an example, there are plenty of tracks, at least I would choose above The Steel Palace. Oh to dream:)

CTtoPA
07-07-2010, 10:52 AM
To elaborate on this point, on this board there is a dedicated LI mod fan who has raised A LOT of money for the tour's Riverhead race this year.

Could we, as the fans, do something similar working with a track owner/ promoter to make this kind of race a reality amongst the different modified series?

For example, take the ROC race at Oswego. Over the years the mod counts for this race have dwindled with a 10,000 winning purse. It seems as though a major issue seems to be the value of showing up and finishing deep in the field and losing a ton of money for your effort. If the fans were to come together (i.e this years Riverhead race concept) and gather up money to add to the purse 1st through last, could there truly be a Race of Champions? Every mod series coming together under an agreed upon set of rules (easier said than done I'm sure)? If you show up and don't qualify but were to still take home say $1500, I could picture a pit filled of 60+ mods.

The Oswego race is just an example, there are plenty of tracks, at least I would choose above The Steel Palace. Oh to dream:)

The fans can't shoulder the burden of the purse each time though. The cars cost too much to maintain, the promoters spend a lot to advertise and provide a purse, and the fans spend too much to gain entry to the event.

GLC050
07-07-2010, 08:11 PM
FYI - We won the ROC Oswego Race in 2008 and I broke even after paying all expenses. Every racer will race and be willing to lose money. What we can not accept is how much the tracks have to pay NASCAR and how little comes back to the teams. NASCAR got a billion dollar TV deal did ANY of that money find its way back to the weekend semi pro teams ZERO. The fan can not pay more,I will bet the back gate at the World Series will be $75.00 per person this year. How much more can the people pay. 14 Races-Top 15 get Point Money and you have to go to Charlette to get a trophy,is that respect.

worm
07-07-2010, 09:47 PM
this guy nows the deal

hollywoodmic
07-07-2010, 09:51 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. What's a Million Dollars to NASCAR in the grand scheme of things???? Have 20 races and the purses you have right now remain the same, BUT NASCAR puts in 50,000 per race to spread through the purse. Now you're racing for something. Look at every purse you have right now and add 50K to it. You'd get a race at Jennerstown, you'd get a Tour Race at Lee, Wall, Claremont, Waterford, Oxford, Seekonk, ect. Why because more teams would come to race for a bigger purse. That makes the back gate bigger for the promoters and makes the NASCAR Licenses bigger for NASCAR. You'd have the best Modified drivers in the Northeast racing eachother each week. How great of a product would that be?? Again a Million Dollars to NASCAR is nothing, they should spend it wisely, spend it on the Modifieds.

limodmaniac
07-07-2010, 10:11 PM
Don't they do that for the Pro Series right now? If not please explain their payouts for the races they race?

10cc
07-08-2010, 12:54 AM
I would like to see a lower cost 600+ HP engine with a honeable cast iron block, spec cnc ported cylinder heads, and an open carb rule, or an almagum of open 18 degree head 390 carb, open 23 degree head modified 390 carb, or an unported steel head unlimited carb engine. If the average engine cost less than 15k and was competetive there would probably be more competition.

burtmyers1
07-08-2010, 01:59 AM
Imagine yourself in front of a table full of Nascar executives. They are deciding whether to give the Modifieds more financial support or leave them as is and they ask you why. What will you tell them? Opinionated sentimental statements are of no value to them. Give Nascar a reason to help the Modifieds.

All of you have wonderful ideas, however, none of you state why the Modifieds deserve these ideas. Yes we all know Nascar has mistreated us and they disregard our on-track product, but what valuable reasons do Modifieds bring to the table to deserve more financial help?

RGeeProductions
07-08-2010, 05:54 AM
Imagine yourself in front of a table full of Nascar executives. They are deciding whether to give the Modifieds more financial support or leave them as is and they ask you why. What will you tell them? Opinionated sentimental statements are of no value to them. Give Nascar a reason to help the Modifieds.

All of you have wonderful ideas, however, none of you state why the Modifieds deserve these ideas. Yes we all know Nascar has mistreated us and they disregard our on-track product, but what valuable reasons do Modifieds bring to the table to deserve more financial help?
Dear NASCAR Higher Ups:
We need more money because we all now have to buy a newly developed perimeter chassis to run our new road course schedule.....

GLC050
07-08-2010, 09:14 PM
Why should NASCAR invest in the Mod's Just the fact that Rich Evans and Jerry Cook on the Hall Ballet proves they know there heritage. Thompson,Stafford and even Bowman-Gray attendance proves the value of the Mod's. Everyone who see's a race at NHMS knows the value. I can go on and on.Oh yea that TV show you where in proves the value.......

worm
07-08-2010, 09:23 PM
the MRS series has that

uticamike
07-08-2010, 11:24 PM

This easy. FORCE them to watch any or all of the last 6 races a Loudon. Now put the bogity boys AND Mike Joy out front of a National broadcast with tons of promo and see what happens. If watching Modifeds at NH doesn't quicken your pulse, your either dead or your not
a race fan. Either way its already over for you.

Analyst
07-09-2010, 12:03 AM
Mike Joy? Why does everyone in the modified community like Mike Joy? He reminds me of Obama… Seriously, ask yourself what has he done to help the current state of modified racing but throw out a name or two on a FOX broadcast? And he does that while you are at home watching their commercials so they can keep writing him his fat paycheck instead of watching racing at your local Saturday night track. To me, he is not promoting modified racing… All that lip service is nothing more than lipstick on a pig! Wake me up when Mike ‘reaches back to the community’ and leverages his contacts to help secure an additional $50k to a modified purse somewhere...

zombo
07-11-2010, 01:14 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. What's a Million Dollars to NASCAR in the grand scheme of things???? Have 20 races and the purses you have right now remain the same, BUT NASCAR puts in 50,000 per race to spread through the purse. Now you're racing for something. Look at every purse you have right now and add 50K to it. You'd get a race at Jennerstown, you'd get a Tour Race at Lee, Wall, Claremont, Waterford, Oxford, Seekonk, ect. Why because more teams would come to race for a bigger purse. That makes the back gate bigger for the promoters and makes the NASCAR Licenses bigger for NASCAR. You'd have the best Modified drivers in the Northeast racing eachother each week. How great of a product would that be?? Again a Million Dollars to NASCAR is nothing, they should spend it wisely, spend it on the Modifieds.

what's a million to nascar? i'm no nascar fan, but if they just tossed a million away every time that question came up for something they make a small profit on, nascar would go broke. smart businesses do not make dumb business decisions. fan unfriendly? yes. bad for competition? yes. bad for business? no. money is spent where it is most useful.

want to do something good for the modifieds? nascar dumps the modifieds and then roc and mrs combine as one series. 25 races all over the northeast. larger purses. nascar abandoned the modifieds a long time ago, just not officially yet.

art11758
07-12-2010, 01:00 PM
what's a million to nascar? i'm no nascar fan, but if they just tossed a million away every time that question came up for something they make a small profit on, nascar would go broke. smart businesses do not make dumb business decisions. fan unfriendly? yes. bad for competition? yes. bad for business? no. money is spent where it is most useful.

want to do something good for the modifieds? nascar dumps the modifieds and then roc and mrs combine as one series. 25 races all over the northeast. larger purses. nascar abandoned the modifieds a long time ago just not officially yet.
As someone who put a lot of miles on my car following the mods (until recently anyways) I have to say I agree with most everything posted here. Zombo hit it though. I have been places, where as a mod fan, we were treated like visiting royalty. The majority of that welcome came from the facility, not nascar. When everyone "up top" got a taste of that Kool Aid called money, we got kicked to the curb.
To keep with the thread though, lowering the cost to bring the series to a facility, which in turn lowers my ticket price. Why? So my son can bug me for more burgers, dogs, hot chocolate or whatever else is his thing for the day and I won't have to tell him "can't do it pal." Everybody (in my opinion) wins.

night gent
07-12-2010, 01:53 PM
I agree with Zombo, but in fairness to Nascar the economy is hurting all aspects of the sport. Many tracks that were full a few years ago are at least a third empty. Sponsors are hard to come by for even some of the established teams. Modifieds and short track racing in general will have to weather the storm on their own. If track owners and sponsors aren't willing or can't afford to loosen the purse strings, don't expect the France family to come to the rescue!

GLC050
07-12-2010, 04:11 PM
Why cant the France Family take less from the race teams and suffer a little also. Not only are they taking the same but there taking more when they don't pay the top 25 teams point money. Let Ben Dodge run the whole thing and you will see what can be done with the Mods.

uticamike
07-12-2010, 08:25 PM
Mike Joy? Why does everyone in the modified community like Mike Joy? He reminds me of Obama… Seriously, ask yourself what has he done to help the current state of modified racing but throw out a name or two on a FOX broadcast? And he does that while you are at home watching their commercials so they can keep writing him his fat paycheck instead of watching racing at your local Saturday night track. To me, he is not promoting modified racing… All that lip service is nothing more than lipstick on a pig! Wake me up when Mike ‘reaches back to the community’ and leverages his contacts to help secure an additional $50k to a modified purse somewhere...

Mike Joy=Obama????? Where in God's green earth did you come up with that?

Where is it written that Mike Joy HAS to promote a division that So. Fla is ambivelent about?
His JOB is to do the Cup deal . He and Dr. Dick are the ONLY ones I know that ever mention Modifieds. If NASCAR were to ever actually show a LIVE race from NH, these two guys would be the best thing for it. Thats' all I'm saying. How come you don't ask Jerry Cook to give up
part of his salary for the "good" of the Mods?

GLC050
07-12-2010, 09:02 PM
Uticamike: Amen Your right on..........

art11758
07-12-2010, 09:08 PM
I don't take anything seriously from someone who hasn't filled out thier profile completely. It seems our "analyst" feels safe making incindiary comments from his newly registered anonymity. I just ignore people like that. :lol:

Mr10
07-12-2010, 11:35 PM
It's called the North/South Shootout!
Good Show with a good car count.
Many of us have attended!
It's too bad that no one in the North East will put on a show like that.

How about an open comp allstar type show at Hudson Speedway in New Hampshire?
Mods haven't raced on that track in a heck of a long time.
No pre-configured setups for that place and no practice prior to arriving on race weekend.
You hit the setup or you don't!

catfish
07-13-2010, 11:14 AM
go back to Pocono for that matter, the 3/4" is obviously still there!

BOWATCHER
07-13-2010, 04:35 PM
Hey nascar why dont u add another saturday night show to your tv schedule and they wonder why??

worm
07-13-2010, 06:02 PM
poconos 3/4 gone,back str. is not there no more,or 1st turn

zombo
07-14-2010, 01:44 AM
It's called the North/South Shootout!
Good Show with a good car count.
Many of us have attended!
It's too bad that no one in the North East will put on a show like that.

How about an open comp allstar type show at Hudson Speedway in New Hampshire?
Mods haven't raced on that track in a heck of a long time.
No pre-configured setups for that place and no practice prior to arriving on race weekend.
You hit the setup or you don't!

north south shootout is a nice race, but a race held in the heart of fender country is not what i call a great end of year show. the northeast has plenty of big season enders. unfortunately, only the weekly, roc, and mrs guys support these shows. wall has turkey derby, mountain has king of the mountain, and most other tracks have big season ending races as well.

Axel
07-14-2010, 09:19 AM
I have to disagree with you Zombo. There are plenty of big shows in the northeast, but the NSS has an all-star race feel to it. You get almost all of the big names from up here (WMT, RoC and MRS) and most of the big names from the Southern Tour. Solid car count and pretty good turnout from fans.

jeep4x486
07-14-2010, 10:20 AM
Heres a new idea. What about a Modified Speed Week, kind of like they do down in Pennsylvania for the sprint cars. Run 5 or 6 shows over the course of a week, each paying about 5000 to win, have a big 10,000 show, and have a small point fund for the speed week champ. They could run something like Stafford, Thompson, Monadnock, Seekonk, and Waterford. The key would be to run only maybe one or 2 support divisions and really focus on the Modifieds because that is what people come for and to also make sure the show is done at a reasonable hour if they are run on a work night. Other kinds of cars have such Speed weeks (sprint cars, dirt late models) why not run one for the Modifieds. Just an idea...

Magicshoes12
07-14-2010, 11:27 AM
Heres a new idea. What about a Modified Speed Week, kind of like they do down in Pennsylvania for the sprint cars. Run 5 or 6 shows over the course of a week, each paying about 5000 to win, have a big 10,000 show, and have a small point fund for the speed week champ. They could run something like Stafford, Thompson, Monadnock, Seekonk, and Waterford. The key would be to run only maybe one or 2 support divisions and really focus on the Modifieds because that is what people come for and to also make sure the show is done at a reasonable hour if they are run on a work night. Other kinds of cars have such Speed weeks (sprint cars, dirt late models) why not run one for the Modifieds. Just an idea...

Isn't that called New Smyrna??

CTtoPA
07-14-2010, 01:39 PM
New Smyrna is run in February along with sprint cars, ump modifieds, and late models. He's talking about running on home tracks. No idea why it hasn't been done.

jeep4x486
07-14-2010, 01:59 PM
Here is why a Speedweek is different from New Smyrna.... it is local. You dont have to travel all the way to Florida to race. Also it is at different tracks each night. Its really a local showcase for the modified talent we have in the northeast, as well as a showcase for all the tracks.

Teds Race Tours
07-14-2010, 02:40 PM

been saying that for years. Doubt we'll ever see it happen, but we can hope.

Magicshoes12
07-14-2010, 02:50 PM
Here is why a Speedweek is different from New Smyrna.... it is local. You dont have to travel all the way to Florida to race. Also it is at different tracks each night. Its really a local showcase for the modified talent we have in the northeast, as well as a showcase for all the tracks.

when explained that way, that sounds a lot better!!! that would be a great showing!!

Teds Race Tours
07-14-2010, 05:18 PM
Here is the Pa Sprint Car Speedweek Page.

http://paspeedweeks.com/

It shows 2 races at Lincoln (7k and 5 k to win), Grandview, Hagerstown, Bedford, and Port Royal (all 5 k to win), and Williams Grove (10K to win) All 30 laps, with Time Trials, Heats, and a Feature. A driver could Possibly win 42k not counting points money for running 210 laps.

The Modifieds could easily do that maybe like below.

Saturday Monadnock 50 laps
Sunday Seekonk 40 laps
Tuesday Albany Saratoga 40 laps
Wednesday Waterford 40 Laps
Thursday Thompson 30 Laps
Friday Stafford 30 Laps
Saturday Riverhead 50 Laps
Sunday Wall 40 Laps

Each Race pays 5 k to win, 25k purse something like this.
$22,500 directly to purse paid out as follows nightly

1-5000 2 3000 3 1700 4 1300 5 1000 6 900 7 800 8 700 9- 600 10-24 500 each

$2500 of it going to points fund for $20000 points fund, which would pay as follows based of no races being rained out.

1 5000 2 3000 3 2500 4 2000 5 1750 6 1500 7 1250 8 1000 9 1000 10 1000

Could this work out for everybody. 5K to win for a very short race, instead of 2600 to win a longer one?

Teams and Car Owners.... I think the teams would be interested in this. Its roughly the winners purse for a WMT event, and much more than an ROC or MRS event. Its also 1/2 the distance of any of the 3 series events, so less wear and tear on the equipment. Will they MAKE money? probably not, but profit is possible. While they spend as much as they are now? Not unless the tear up their stuff, but thats much more likely in a longer race.

Tracks. Its about 1/3rd of the purse that for WMT event, and while its more than the other 2 series, you should also have a more sellable product with, hopefully some WMT teams participating.

Fans. For about $25 you would get a full Modified program of Time Trials, HEATS, and Feature. I'd be drooling at the prospect of a Modified Race every night for 8 nights.

For Decades Modified Racing was 90% 25-50 lappers, and 10% long distance races. Those number have switched over time, and thats unfortunate because all the 100-150 lap races have no uniqueness to them. These races would sure be unique sprint races. No saving tires. No waiting for the right moment. Its go time when they drop the green.

Now, go ahead and tell me all the reasons this wouldn't work.

Modhauler
07-14-2010, 05:59 PM
How many teams do you think can take a full week off of work to travel to these tracks . The fans might just have to show up at night but what about travel time , practice Qualifying. Great idea but i doubt it could be done Just my penny's worth!

BChat
07-14-2010, 06:28 PM
http://www.nascar.com/2010/news/features/07/14/inside.nascar.maumann.thirschman.whelen.economy/index.html

Interesting read, goes along with this thread

jeep4x486
07-14-2010, 07:29 PM
I dont see the traveling to the tracks as such a problem. The sprint car guys do it in Pennsylvania, they have just as much time invested in the cars as the modified guys and they get at least 24 cars to show up to all of the races. And in regards to practice, qualifying, etc being too much time or whatever, how can a sprint car show start at 7 or 7:30 at night and get that all done. The modifieds dont need 4 hours of practice before a race. Show up, run one set of practice, time trial them, run a support division feature, run the heats, run another support feature, and then get the feature rolling. They make everything to be such a production here and say things cant be done, but then why is it that other places can put on such events and have them go off successfully. I'm just saying that this type of thing does take place, people are able to get the cars to the track, travel shouldnt be that much of a concern. Especially if you look at how close the 3 CT tracks are, and then Seekonk and Monadnock are no farther. I guess it comes down to where the cars are coming from but a vast majority are local to the northeast. Well who knows, maybe some day it could happen...

I should note that I am from CT and am a modified fan but greatly appreciate what they have going in Pennsylvania with their sprint car scene. I only make it down there about twice a year (once this year to only be rained out both Friday and Saturday) but I enjoy every minute of it. If I could watch sprints on Friday night, modifieds on Saturday night, and dirt modifieds on Sunday night, I really dont think it could get much better than that...

Howie
07-14-2010, 07:53 PM
I dont see the traveling to the tracks as such a problem. The sprint car guys do it in Pennsylvania,

One problem I have with comparing PA sprint car drivers and our asphalt modified drivers is this - many of the sprint car drivers that travel can run 2, 3 or 4 nights a week fairly close to home and many (most?) of them, race for a living. The tour type modified racers work real jobs for a living and don't have even 2 tracks to run weekly if they wanted to.

GLC050
07-14-2010, 07:55 PM
How about a simple "Real" Thompson 300 with no NASCAR Lisence required and Normal 300 Purse, and you will see the cars and drivers you love come out like you have not seen in a long time..

wmass01013
07-14-2010, 08:12 PM
How about a simple "Real" Thompson 300 with no NASCAR Lisence required and Normal 300 Purse, and you will see the cars and drivers you love come out like you have not seen in a long time..

BINGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

If Heonig had the guts and would stop running it the weekend after Labor day and opening weekend of NFL and put some TIME AND MONEY INTO PROMOTING the race, added lap money and a string of Qualifiying races and didnt run under NASCAR AND ITS POINTS, you could have a very BIG RACE!!!!!

Magicshoes12
07-14-2010, 08:35 PM
BINGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

If Heonig had the guts and would stop running it the weekend after Labor day and opening weekend of NFL and put some TIME AND MONEY INTO PROMOTING the race, added lap money and a string of Qualifiying races and didnt run under NASCAR AND ITS POINTS, you could have a very BIG RACE!!!!!

He'd rather put the money back into his Golf Course :-/ i would love to see the 300 back, open tour type race, start what 40 cars...the place would be packed!!!! do it like they use to do modified mania too, no offense to their other divisions, but it would be sweet, get the 300 w/tour type mods, have the sunoco mod race....have the supermods there, maybe the pro 4 cuz they are fun to watch there and maybe those open late models they like to call thompson modifieds lol.......but it would be awesome and make sure its on a saturday/saturday night....thats the key....give everyone for a distance some time to drive home and not rush out of there to get back to work on monday!!

CTtoPA
07-14-2010, 08:45 PM
One problem I have with comparing PA sprint car drivers and our asphalt modified drivers is this - many of the sprint car drivers that travel can run 2, 3 or 4 nights a week fairly close to home and many (most?) of them, race for a living. The tour type modified racers work real jobs for a living and don't have even 2 tracks to run weekly if they wanted to.

So then how do they get time off to run Bristol, Martinsville, Thompson, Loudon, etc? Racing a midweek show in Tennessee does nothing to promote the modifieds.

chrome horn
07-14-2010, 09:30 PM
A lot of the drivers, crews, and owners sacrifice vacation and family time to do those shows. Many guys for the Loudon shows, go up for qualifying and go home to work on Friday.

CTtoPA
07-14-2010, 09:56 PM
A lot of the drivers, crews, and owners sacrifice vacation and family time to do those shows. Many guys for the Loudon shows, go up for qualifying and go home to work on Friday.

So it IS possible. That's all I'm saying. I've been going to PA speedweek shows since 1997. If our state participated in a modified speedweek I think I would be a spectator. I'll be going to my first modified race at Stafford in close to 10 years on August 6th.

chrome horn
07-14-2010, 10:51 PM
yes it is possible.... AT A PRICE.

Gil
07-15-2010, 12:49 AM
"How many teams do you think can take a full week off of work to travel to these tracks ."

Don't they do that to go to FL in February?

Teds Race Tours
07-15-2010, 12:58 AM

True, but there are probably 80 or so Sprint Car Drivers and Teams in Pa, and you only need about 30 of them for a good show. There must be well over 100 teams with tour type modifieds, and again, you only need about 30 of them for a good show. (Note. There were 130 Modified Teams who raced on July 3rd in the North East alone, so there are more teams than I estimated.)

The most difficult thing would be getting all the tracks to cooperate. It would also have to have cooperation from the 3 series. Not a big Problem for WMT and ROC as they have plenty of time off during the season. The MRS would have to take the better part of 2 weeks off to accomodate the ModWeek.

I think its completely doable, but again, still doubt it will ever come to be.

art11758
07-15-2010, 09:34 AM

It shows 2 races at Lincoln (7k and 5 k to win), Grandview, Hagerstown, Bedford, and Port Royal (all 5 k to win), and Williams Grove (10K to win) All 30 laps, with Time Trials, Heats, and a Feature. A driver could Possibly win 42k not counting points money for running 210 laps.

Sunday Seekonk 40 laps
Friday Stafford 30 Laps
Sunday Wall 40 Laps

$2500 of it going to points fund for $20000 points fund, which would pay as follows based of no races being rained out.

Could this work out for everybody. 5K to win for a very short race, instead of 2600 to win a longer one?

Teams and Car Owners.... I think the teams would be interested in this. Its roughly the winners purse for a WMT event, and much more than an ROC or MRS event. Its also 1/2 the distance of any of the 3 series events, so less wear and tear on the equipment. Will they MAKE money? probably not, but profit is possible. While they spend as much as they are now? Not unless the tear up their stuff, but thats much more likely in a longer race.

Tracks. Its about 1/3rd of the purse that for WMT event, and while its more than the other 2 series, you should also have a more sellable product with, hopefully some WMT teams participating.

Fans. For about $25 you would get a full Modified program of Time Trials, HEATS, and Feature. I'd be drooling at the prospect of a Modified Race every night for 8 nights.

For Decades Modified Racing was 90% 25-50 lappers, and 10% long distance races. Those number have switched over time, and thats unfortunate because all the 100-150 lap races have no uniqueness to them. These races would sure be unique sprint races. No saving tires. No waiting for the right moment. Its go time when they drop the green.

No argument from me. Sounds like the old All Star format.....

Teds Race Tours
07-15-2010, 10:06 AM

Art, being a lot younger than you, I'm not really sure what the exact format for the All-Star League was. But this would be kind of a season within a season. If ya got off to a bad start in whatever Track, or Series you were running, you could hope for better during Northeast Mod Week.

art11758
07-15-2010, 12:28 PM
I'm sure someone knows better than me, but from what I remember the "All Star Stock Car Racing League" was it's full name. The idea of one or more of the following: Larry Mendlesohn, Bob Waas, and perhaps Bob O'Rourke. The name of Jack Ficara comes up in my head too. Anyways it was a "traveling show" of sorts that ran on weeknights through the North East, dirt and pavement. It paid the top guys in points some extra appearance dough I think too. Guys like Cagle, Ruetimann, Jarzombek, and Desarro were the faces I remember from the newspaper ads. The big end of the season race was at Islip in Sept., the All Star 200. I'm sure either Fat Albert or JD remembers a bit more than me. (I'm not as old as you think, I just remember a lot :) )

BChat
07-15-2010, 03:58 PM
^^Notice Eddie's helmet, All Star League.

Teds Race Tours
07-15-2010, 05:14 PM
I'm sure someone knows better than me, but from what I remember the "All Star Stock Car Racing League" was it's full name. The idea of one or more of the following: Larry Mendlesohn, Bob Waas, and perhaps Bob O'Rourke. The name of Jack Ficara comes up in my head too. Anyways it was a "traveling show" of sorts that ran on weeknights through the North East, dirt and pavement. It paid the top guys in points some extra appearance dough I think too. Guys like Cagle, Ruetimann, Jarzombek, and Desarro were the faces I remember from the newspaper ads. The big end of the season race was at Islip in Sept., the All Star 200. I'm sure either Fat Albert or JD remembers a bit more than me. (I'm not as old as you think, I just remember a lot :) )

I was only teasing ya...you might be younger than I am. :)

Cuyahoga Cuse
07-16-2010, 01:53 AM

Was thinking the same thing. Sounds like the old Yankee All Star League, circa 1975 or so. It was a rotation of midweek shows at tracks throughout the Northeast.

Google just helped me find a good link to the history of the Yankee All Star League series with a focus on the events that took place at Waterford:

http://www.sids-vault.com/stats.php?page=YAS-recap

I remember attending some of those races as a kid and it was a highlight of the summer.

zombo
07-16-2010, 11:39 AM

Sunday Seekonk 40 laps
Friday Stafford 30 Laps
Sunday Wall 40 Laps

i love the idea! i can guarantee you at least half the tracks laugh at the idea and say no.

zombo
07-16-2010, 11:43 AM
I have to disagree with you Zombo. There are plenty of big shows in the northeast, but the NSS has an all-star race feel to it. You get almost all of the big names from up here (WMT, RoC and MRS) and most of the big names from the Southern Tour. Solid car count and pretty good turnout from fans.

you're telling me 35 cars is all the big names from up here? it gets nice support, but it's not the be all end all. i'm not really sure what race is or if there even is one, but the nss is no more special that any other extra distance race nowadays. that's the problem.....

zombo
07-16-2010, 11:51 AM

so teams find the time to take off to go all the way to florida, but won't do it to travel a fraction of the distance? the tracks won't go for it, but i think the race teams would.

night gent
07-16-2010, 01:21 PM
Hey Ted, as a fan I love the concept but I seriously doubt track owners would approve. How many teams would actually participate in all or even most of the events. Take a peek at the recent entry list for Seekonk's ten thousand to win "open" event and Thompson's 40 lappers that they added this season. A full week of modified events would probably have single digit car counts for some of them. " Right idea, wrong economy"

BChat
07-16-2010, 01:46 PM
I think the plan would work better if races were run once a week at a different track, or once every other week, on a week night. I believe that is what the All Star League did.

jeep4x486
07-16-2010, 02:11 PM
Here is a point to pose about the speedweek and everyone saying that it cant be done. First, there are many other types of cars that participate in such speedweek type formats, mainly noted are the sprint cars (Pennsylvania Speed Week, Ohio Speed Week) as well as the dirt late models. I understand that many of those guys are full timers so that may make it easier for them to do it, but many of the racers are not. Now there is also a mini sprint speed week with a similair format that also takes place. Now we are talking about guys that arent doing this for a living, that arent full time racers, and they manage to show up and make a week long event out of it, travel included. I think people just make a big deal about the modifieds, how things cant be done, travel, time, money, whatever, but these things are being put on in other parts of the country, with many other types of cars, and the shows go off. It just seems like the northeast, mainly new england is too caught up in saying how things just cant be done. Again in a perfect world maybe we could see such an event, but by the opinions of many on the board it would never happen. I support as many shows that I can, touring, weekly, you name it at the local CT tracks, out at Lebanon Valley in NY, you name it and enjoy every minute of it. I am no expert on how the teams run or how a track is run promoting wise, but this is just my observations and what would be neat to see in my eyes. Can anyone shed light on why it seems like every other series out there is able to run "Big Money" shows and not the modifieds. Some that come to mind may be the Mr Dirt Track USA show at Lebanon Valley for the Super Dirt Series $17,500 to win, or the Kings Royal at Eldora paying 50,000 to win. I know there are other big shows out there but these are just examples. I dont know what goes on behind the scenes at such shows to get them to be where they are at but I have just never understood why Northeast Modified racing or Modified racing in general does not have premiere events like that. Also to note that admission to an event such as Mr Dirt Track USA is less than any Whelen race that you take in at a CT track. Either way, if they continued to race just as they do now I really wouldnt care, I love racing and long as they are still out there racing I will enjoy every minute of it, for whatever purse, whatever format... it all comes down to that I enjoy going to the races, enjoy the show, and appreciate all the tracks and series that we have in the Northeast.

Teds Race Tours
07-16-2010, 02:22 PM
Hey Ted, as a fan I love the concept but I seriously doubt track owners would approve. How many teams would actually participate in all or even most of the events. Take a peek at the recent entry list for Seekonk's ten thousand to win "open" event and Thompson's 40 lappers that they added this season. A full week of modified events would probably have single digit car counts for some of them. " Right idea, wrong economy"

I gotta disagree with ya. As Stated above, 130 Full Modifieds raced in the Northeast on July 3rd Between Lime Rock, Riverhead, Mahoning Valley, Mountain, Monadnock, and Shangri La 2. That doesn't include the cars that ran Bowman Gray. If just 15 % of those cars ran the whole week, thats 19 full time cars, and you'd probably get another 10 or so each night from the local area. It's not a series that you HAVE to run every night.Its also not a series that would ever attract 40 plus cars, but 24-30 would make for an awesome show. After all, a $5000 to win 40 lapper is an attractive race on its own, and teams could just pick and choose the tracks they want. The PA Sprints are a mix of cars that run each night, and some that pick and choose, and that works well.

I agree with you that the fields are disappointing for the 10k to win Seekonk show. I was at the 2nd Thompson show with 12 cars, and 11 taking the green. I'm shocked. I thought the numbers would go up, not down. Maybe $2500 to win isn't enough of a carrot....hopefully 5k would.

The Track owners wouldn't have a problem if they made money with it. The Pa Speedweek is a yearly event for sprint cars as long as I can remember (Ohio also has one), so the formula works well for them.

Do i think it will ever happen? No. but i sure would like to see it tried.

night gent
07-16-2010, 03:30 PM
Hey Jeep, dirt tracks generally do pay better. I am ignorant as too exactly why. Maybe someone with expert knowledge of both disciplines can explain. As for Ted, like I stated, as a fan I would love it but this years car counts at almost all the tracks are pathetic. I was at that Thompson race as well (if your referring to the nema show) and it was a shame that the 40 lapper had so few cars. The only plus was there were very few cautions that evening. I have a similar idea which is already planned 1. Seekonk July 21- 100 lap, 10 grand to win, 2. Thompson July 22- PASS late models, 3. Stafford July 23- 150 lap sk modified main event, 4. Waterford July 24- NEMA midgets and vintage mods. I'm afraid that will probably be the best northeast racing week we are going to get! Although not too shabby, if you ask me. I'm definitely making the first two and maybe Stafford but Saturday a previous engagement will rule the day.

KChez
07-17-2010, 07:44 AM
One thing to also consider-the tracks in the PA Speedweek are all in very close proximity to one another (not exactly sure, but probably no more than 1 1/2 hr between any of them) Some of the asphalt tracks that were mentioned (Riverhead, Wall) are far out of the loop travel wise and a PITA to deal with traffic in the summer to get to, especially on weekends. Thompson, Stafford, Seekonk, Monadnock & Waterford would probably work and there's probably the highest concentration of cars in that region. It would be awesome if someone could pull it off.

Teds Race Tours
07-17-2010, 07:52 AM
One thing to also consider-the tracks in the PA Speedweek are all in very close proximity to one another (not exactly sure, but probably no more than 1 1/2 hr between any of them) Some of the asphalt tracks that were mentioned (Riverhead, Wall) are far out of the loop travel wise and a PITA to deal with traffic in the summer to get to, especially on weekends. Thompson, Stafford, Seekonk, Monadnock & Waterford would probably work and there's probably the highest concentration of cars in that region. It would be awesome if someone could pull it off.

not really as close as you'd think. Grandview to Bedford or Hagerstown is over 3 hours. Besides, it's my idea...and in my idea, they are racing at my home track. lol. But for the sake of arguement, if somebody just wanted to keep it to the 5 tracks you have listed, I'd be at them all.

zombo
07-17-2010, 10:55 PM
wall and riverhead would attract more cars from mahoning, mountain, wall, and riverhead.

phillie
07-18-2010, 12:22 AM
No Time Trials. Real Racers qualify through heat races. I was at the Mad Dog show tonight and every single one of them is more than capable of putting on a good show for the fans. Thats what it is all about remember the FANS! I heard more people pissing and moaning about having to sit through tt than I care to recall.

Also caution laps do not count them. The pace car was flying around the track tonight knocking off laps luckily it was a clean race so I didn't feel too gipped.

Sicklajoie
07-18-2010, 12:44 AM
How about not dragging out a single car spin into 10 laps under yellow??
Assinine.

phillie
07-18-2010, 11:19 AM
How about not dragging out a single car spin into 10 laps under yellow??
Assinine.

exactly my thoughts too.

Teds Race Tours
07-19-2010, 07:26 PM
Those long cautions have got to stop. Fans don't pay to see caution laps.

limodmaniac
07-19-2010, 09:20 PM
My worse fear is that Riverhead will have 120 laps under caution. They should not run a 1/4 mile track the way they run bigger tracks.

Teds Race Tours
07-19-2010, 10:35 PM
I completely agree. I see no need to EVER count cautions. This is NOT Sprint Cup. This is Short Track Racing, lets treat it as such.

CTtoPA
07-19-2010, 11:08 PM
Does that mean races would be cut in half? I'd rather see 50 or 75 green laps than 125 laps that count yellows.

Fat Albert
07-20-2010, 09:24 AM
You guys are making way too much sense! I've always felt that Riverhead's tour race should be 100 green flag laps.

art11758
07-20-2010, 09:24 AM
If it was a close ,clean 70 laps, my vote is YES!

Sicklajoie
07-20-2010, 10:39 AM
Another thing.
Why doesn't the leader get lane choice on restarts?
At a place like Thompson where the preferred groove is up high, 9 times out of 10 the leader loses the lead because they're stuck on the bottom.

Something really, really, really needs to be done about the extended yellows, though. It was beyond ridiculous. These guys have transponders, right? That should make lining everyone back up pretty easy, you'd think. A simple 1 or 2 car spin with minimal cleanup shouldn't take more than 5 laps before they cross'em back up and go green.

Magicshoes12
07-20-2010, 11:13 AM
Another thing.
Why doesn't the leader get lane choice on restarts?
At a place like Thompson where the preferred groove is up high, 9 times out of 10 the leader loses the lead because they're stuck on the bottom. .

They do get choice, saw it at Thompson and Loudon. Ask Doug Coby he did it so he could have Newman behind him but it didn't quite work out.

Sicklajoie
07-20-2010, 11:15 AM
They do get choice, saw it at Thompson and Loudon. Ask Doug Coby he did it so he could have Newman behind him but it didn't quite work out.

Really?? My bad then if it's true.

Magicshoes12
07-20-2010, 11:56 AM
Really?? My bad then if it's true.

2010 Rule Book

Sec. 9-9 Race Halt/ Caution Period/ Restart After One (1) Lap Completion -

B. Restart procedures will be made known at the Pre-Race drivers meeting. When the starter gives the "one (1) lap to go" signal, unless otherwise notified, cars will line up in columns of two (2) for all restarts. The Race leader will have column/lane selection for each restart and is the control car for the restart. All other lead lap cars must line up in their respective track position. Lapped cars must line up in their respective track position, behind the last car on the lead lap.

.....I can't believe i actually found it right away in the rule book, lol....