PDA

View Full Version : Here's a soggy idea...

CJfilms
07-09-2010, 11:40 AM
I know there has been plenty of controversy regarding track prep and wetness....I am going to highlight a KEY TOPIC in the "WHY"...

Why do we wet the track? Is it...

1 - To mess up Uncle Petey's Day and make him have to chisel the mud from his mustache?
2 - To make sure people wreck their cars?
3 - To prevent fast racing?

The answer to each of those and more is as follows...

1 - Petey likes to lick his lips anyways after a race...we're simply giving him a new flavor each time! ;)

2 - As for people wrecking their cars when the track is wet...take a look at several top finishing drivers...Timmy Pauch, Shawn Naftzinger, Howie Bott, Uncle Petey, Shon Elk, The Otts, Joe Kunkel, Chris Angstadt, the Hires (when their cars hold up, Pat has had no luck this season), Duane Eidem, Steve Haegele, and more! They preserve their cars while running the track in for the first 10 laps or so and then slowly pick up the pace as the track gets tacky...they finish up front or at the very least see checkers almost every race because they use their heads early on and don't smash the pedal until they smash the wall....or someone else...

3 - We don't want to prevent fast racing...enduros are meant to have a field of XX cars...preferably over 50, however with this lovely economy, the counts we get are going to have to suffice. With more cars comes traffic...more traffic will provide for naturally slower racing...when cars start pulling off and the speeds pick up, we don't wet the track to slow everyone up....

Do we wet the track to prevent dust in the stands? Yes...and no. Yes, the dust can get out of control, however if the wind is blowing right, the stands do not take a dust beating and we will not throw the truck out there if no one in the stands seems to be having a problem. Such was the case this past event...the stands were not getting pelted with dust and dirt.

So...that being the case...why did we throw a red flag and wet the track this past race?

It is as simple as this........WE CAN'T SEE YOU!

When the track becomes that dry and there are that many cars racing at high speeds, the amount of dust (more than just clumps of dirt, actual dust) that is kicked up makes it so hard for us to see...from the tower, from the corners and from the flag stand.

From the tower - it gets to the point that we can't make out the car numbers AND THEN we can hardly see the cars when they are in the turns...especially turns 3 & 4, which are high hazard areas. No one wants us to let someone else beat and bang on their car, but if we can't see it...that is going to be why we won't make a call against them.

From the flag stand - Matt is standing on top of the cars practically. I've been in that stand before and trust me it comes at you from ever angle...

From the corners - the corner flaggers are hit with the immediate dust and dirt that is kicked up from the track...they are on the front line and when it gets that bad, they can hardly see what's in front of them.

When the track conditions get to this point, it is beyond a preference...it is a SAFETY issue. We cannot see the cars, therefore if a car flips or is stuck sideways, we will not know about it until traffic starts to slow up to get around it....we have to hope at that point no one gets hit. The water truck came out ONCE during each of these past races....ONE EXTRA TIME.....merely to bring the track to a bearable condition and allow us to moderate the race. Otherwise, it becomes a crap shoot and we have to hope everyone will make it out alive.....and that is not going to happen.

As for motors....different story altogether, but still the same! When we had a moderately hot day last race (June 6th), we ran the Big Cars after a passing storm...we ran the track in firmly before throwing the green.....25% of the cars finished....people missed this race because of blown motors from the last race...... Whenever we start a race with a moderately wet track, it seems more cars finish. Doesn't this make a bit of sense and wouldn't you like for the odds that you will finish the race be higher?

Petey...I know you are going to bring this issue up....yes, proper track prep will make a difference. Kenny planned on turning the track over this race...however, thanks to this weather, the track has not had rain in over a month....their reservoir is nearly dry and with that being the case, he saw it fit to not use up the only supply of water in the AM if it was going to dry out that quickly anyways....the track itself is dry underneath and is not going to hold the water as it would if we were having normal rain showers this season.... On a good note though, Kenny wants to prep the track as you have described to me...we need rain first or else we won't even be able to prep the track to begin with....

mcstockcar
07-09-2010, 02:25 PM
A motor is a mechanical thing. Its bound to break. Especally if its old and tired or not maintained.:( Even high dollar motors become unglued some times:( Racing on a tacky track is a GOOD thing.:) If it blows because your running it too hard...see sentence 1,2, and 3.:disgusted Not being able to have a tacky track and run the heck out of your car(without dust) is absurd, I know you have to have wet before tacky but dont you think racing means out running(and enduring) the other car? :confused:If your motor blows its not anyones fault-see those sentences again. Save the soggies for cereal.... wet is fine tacky is best. I realize more and more that some people cannot get the concept that you dont need to win the race in the first 10 laps. Race using your head...not ramming with it. This beating the crap out of each others car (including mine) is getting out of hand. Its not NASCAR, you dont get extra points for leading the first X amount of laps.:mad: Drive coservativley, save yourself and others parts and TIRES. Its a 100 lap race for crying out loud.:mad:

BIGDADDY64
07-09-2010, 03:11 PM
Amen brother

richardpetey
07-09-2010, 08:07 PM
Mr Rodgers can't groom the track properly, his water broke and his well went dry, he can't get My Laps posted until his computer drys out next leap year, he can't use his sweater because it got mildewed from the moisture in his closet, he has more stones on the track than dirt and they don't hold the moisture...................................:eek:
Just get over it and pave the track....................NO MORE H2O PROBLEM................:cheers:
UNCLE PETEY.............................:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

mcstockcar
07-09-2010, 09:13 PM
Thats the easy way out huh??

richardpetey
07-09-2010, 09:34 PM
For the life of me, I can't believe that dirt tracks out number paved tracks better than 3 to 1.....................:help:
Gotta be a paved track out there that wants to adopt NEETS.....................:drool:
UNCLE PETEY...................:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Philter39
07-09-2010, 09:53 PM
Apparently with 3:1 ratio you RP are on the short side. Dirt is good. You just need to change your mindset about dirt.

Got to agree with CJFilms. It seems as though the same guys usually finish the races in the top 10. Some are fast some are not.What do they know that the cars that always drop out do not know? I think it is PATIENCE.

Look at Gary Silvermans video. It was dusty. I have seen MUCH MUCH Worse dust conditions
at other tracks. I crashed out on lap 3 at Williams Grove one race because you could not see
10 feet in front of your car.

Getting ready for 8/1 phil

NeetsSpectator
07-09-2010, 11:08 PM
When Uncle Petey figures out Pauch's secrets for winning, He will be kneeling down at the start/finish line, kissing the mud bricks, and telling everyone about how he loves dirt track racing.

I see a win coming soon for Uncle Petey.
Pucker Up! :lol:

DPORCR312
07-10-2010, 10:53 AM
I have to agree with mcstockcar! The rear of my car took a real beating this last race! My right rear bumper shock is almost completely torn off! I try my best when I'm on the track to protect the front of my car. I'm not sure if some of the guys on the track know it or not but that is where your radiator is located! Haha. I know I can't finish if it has holes in it! Kinda like Petey's tires I guess!!! ;)

I hope to score a win at some point but if I have to finish second... and its to Petey that would be alright with me! I have a blast running my car with just about every car on the track except for the 132 and the 412!!! Those guys are trouble hehe.:cheers:

STU
07-10-2010, 06:00 PM
I said this awhile ago, Grandview is one of the best short tracks in the Northeast. I would consider it a once it a lifetime chance to race at a track that has so much history. Please keep the track bashing down. NEETS is all about having fun!! JMO
Cory

richardpetey
07-10-2010, 08:14 PM
Cory, please don't confuse constructive criticism with track bashing....................:rolleyes:
As far as Grandviews' track history is concerned, its storied high-banked history is no greater or lesser than many tracks, past and present, in the northeast..................;)
I'm loyal to NEETS, not Grandview or dirt, its just a place our series frequents.................:)
Many promoters have taken advantage of our series, if you don't say something they'll keep treating us like a circus act...................:help:
I also appreciate everything you and your wife do for the NEETS family.........................:applause:
UNCLE PETEY..................................:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

richardpetey
07-10-2010, 08:41 PM
Philter, I love ya man but were from two different racing galaxies..................:help:
312, thanks for the kind words, its a pleasure running with guys like you......................:)
As far as the on track beating and banging, its enduro racing, sometimes you win a couple consecutive races and sometimes you get 14 flats.........................:confused:
You gotta make the best of a bad situation, bust as many chops as you can and try to finish better the next race..........................;)
I hate to see extensive damage on some of these enduro cars, I know how hard it is to gett'em ready for the next race, especially when it shouldn't have happened................:eek:
UNCLE PETEY.........................................:wav e: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

STU
07-10-2010, 09:02 PM
That's where we differ Petey. I grew up at the dirt tracks Big D, G view, Penn National etc. When I would see the mods slide threw the turns going so fast I would say "how the hell do they do that" hey, I still am in awe sometimes. It was something I always wanted to do, and with enduro racing I finally got the chance at Big D and Grandview. To me it was a boyhood dream come true so I tried to keep my gripes to myself.

STU
07-10-2010, 09:30 PM
But I will bring an extra bag of onion rings for ya Petey:wave: