PDA

View Full Version : No Tour at Martinsville in 2011

AlkyMadness
07-19-2010, 11:55 AM
This is all over a regional message board that someone close to the Speedway has let it slip there will be no more mod tour at Martinsville.

Apparently, they lose money on it. I don't know, I haven't been because it always conflicted with the Dream100 (or World100) at Eldora until this year, and this year I was too sick to go anywhere that weekend.

But, some of the reasons for failure and the statements made are laughable. One poster felt the staff at Martinsville had done everything to make this a success. Bull. I live 60 miles from Martinsville and I can tell you there was zero advertising done in our county (100,000+ people) and the only ad I saw in Greensboro was a little ad in the newspaper (once). They could have strained themselves a little harder to promote the race. Hoping that word of mouth and internet chatter will sell out a race is poor planning.

I think taking it off the Southern Tour schedule also hurt the event. Plus moving the event to the first weekend of June. Again, not everyone is online. Some folks around here still thought it was coming up in September.

Finally, the night race was a big success a few years back. Why not continue with that?

This is what happens when a corporation like ISC takes over a speedway. Tradition goes out the window if the bean counters are not happy.

May I make a suggestion to the powers that be: There's a real nice track just NW of Martinsville called Motor Mile Speedway. Hold a Northern Tour event there in the Fall paying big bucks. It could be a great thing.

Linda
07-19-2010, 12:14 PM
That's a shame :*-(, I love going down there. We always go down a day earlier and tour the different race shops. But I have to agree with the advertising. I was at a gas station right down the road and both the attendents hadn't heard about the race. I couldn't believe that they hadn't heard about it somehow or through someone else, but they hadn't.

Jaws
07-19-2010, 02:29 PM
This is all over a regional message board that someone close to the Speedway has let it slip there will be no more mod tour at Martinsville.

Apparently, they lose money on it. I don't know, I haven't been because it always conflicted with the Dream100 (or World100) at Eldora until this year, and this year I was too sick to go anywhere that weekend.

But, some of the reasons for failure and the statements made are laughable. One poster felt the staff at Martinsville had done everything to make this a success. Bull. I live 60 miles from Martinsville and I can tell you there was zero advertising done in our county (100,000+ people) and the only ad I saw in Greensboro was a little ad in the newspaper (once). They could have strained themselves a little harder to promote the race. Hoping that word of mouth and internet chatter will sell out a race is poor planning.

I think taking it off the Southern Tour schedule also hurt the event. Plus moving the event to the first weekend of June. Again, not everyone is online. Some folks around here still thought it was coming up in September.

Finally, the night race was a big success a few years back. Why not continue with that?

This is what happens when a corporation like ISC takes over a speedway. Tradition goes out the window if the bean counters are not happy.

May I make a suggestion to the powers that be: There's a real nice track just NW of Martinsville called Motor Mile Speedway. Hold a Northern Tour event there in the Fall paying big bucks. It could be a great thing.

All 800 of us that were there this year are going to be pissed! I was there the first year the tour came back, it was packed. This year it was a ghost town. I have no idea what kind of promotion they did but it didn't work.

Oh but Bowman Gray was packed the night before.

Axel
07-19-2010, 03:26 PM
wasnt a great race, but there was a lot of hype and a lot of people for the first race in 2005. Seems like the last few years they wanted this thing to fail, first starting to hold it against the RoC in September and then starting to hold it in June. :disgusted

Jaws
07-19-2010, 03:33 PM
wasnt a great race, but there was a lot of hype and a lot of people for the first race in 2005. Seems like the last few years they wanted this thing to fail, first starting to hold it against the RoC in September and then starting to hold it in June. :disgusted

15 times as many people at Bowman Gray the night before, maybe just have a demo and they will pack the place.

The sad part will be it will probably be replaced with another low paying Flash race or what is really tough financially on a team a road race at NJMSP. (Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the race at Lime Rock) but judging by the numbers of blown motors not a favorite of the teams.

wmass01013
07-19-2010, 05:58 PM
One of the reasons i went to Martinsville this year was because after all these years of never going i wanted to see a Martinsville Mod race, and i knew that this might be the last, i was shocked to walk in Sat. and see only a few hundred people there for qualifying, yes i went to Bowman gray sat night, also first time and saw the 12000 people there.
Sunday was a very hot day and i think there were maybe 2500-3000 people in the stands and i def knew that this would be the last, now would having on a cup weekend help? maybe but most true mod fans dont want that. when is the best time to hold a martinsville race? NIGHT AGAIN?
I look at the packed house at Mad Dog and wonder why NASCAR doesnt work at having races at Tracks fans will pack, i def think Lee and Seekonk would be, and shanrgi La 2, maybe Concord, Motor Mile or Rougemont down south, HOW ABOUT WALL? RICHMOND, AND YES WOULD LOVE TO SEE waterford have atleast one a year.

NASCAR PLEASE DO SOME WORK TO MAKE IT HAPPEN

SUfan
07-19-2010, 07:24 PM
My vote goes to see the WMT at Lee as well, but with a one tire change allowed.

I went to three of the recent Martinsville races. The first one at night was one of the most memorable nights of racing I have ever witnessed. The atmosphere and excitement proved that it could be done. The second night race there had weather issues and I stayed home.
Then they go to a day race and competing against the national series'. It was doomed from the beginning. I also noticed the lack of promotion.
Those of us at Bowman Gray the night before the Martinsville race were treated to a constant barrage of announcements that the tour would be at Bristol in August. Not one single time was the Martinsville race- the very next day- mentioned. No announcements, no flyers, no radio ad's. The racing this last race was awful anyways so I really don't think having the Mods back there would serve any benefit unless they did what Lee does and put some traction in the outside lane. At Lee the MRS cars were faster on the outside than on the inside for the most part.

zombo
07-25-2010, 11:42 PM
One of the reasons i went to Martinsville this year was because after all these years of never going i wanted to see a Martinsville Mod race, and i knew that this might be the last, i was shocked to walk in Sat. and see only a few hundred people there for qualifying, yes i went to Bowman gray sat night, also first time and saw the 12000 people there.
Sunday was a very hot day and i think there were maybe 2500-3000 people in the stands and i def knew that this would be the last, now would having on a cup weekend help? maybe but most true mod fans dont want that. when is the best time to hold a martinsville race? NIGHT AGAIN?
I look at the packed house at Mad Dog and wonder why NASCAR doesnt work at having races at Tracks fans will pack, i def think Lee and Seekonk would be, and shanrgi La 2, maybe Concord, Motor Mile or Rougemont down south, HOW ABOUT WALL? RICHMOND, AND YES WOULD LOVE TO SEE waterford have atleast one a year.

good luck getting wall to ever go back to nascar again.

ModFanReg
07-26-2010, 11:03 AM

AMEN to everything!! Until all the Northeast tracks bring the Tour back in some form, in conjunction with MRS and NASCAR, perhaps (an entirely different topic on how that could be accomplished), we'll encounter this problem. It was fun to visit each of the tracks at least once a year, but alas, it seems $, logistics, NASCAR and the batter they make doesn't yield an edible cake after being baked. For now, our money, voices, and anything we have must support the Tour whenever possible. For me, that's perhaps Thompson in August, work permitting, and Loudon in September. See you there.

NC Mudcat
07-26-2010, 01:18 PM
The night races were incredible. But let't be honest, they were tests. Tests to see if the track should install permanent lighting. The ones brought in were very expensive. It was determined they did not need permanent lights, as the modified race was not enough to support it, and the CUP races are staying on Sundays. Once that decision was made, the next was whether it was profitable to bring in the temporary lights for one race. The first year, the weather was great, it was the right weekend, and the crowd supported it. The second year, it rained the evening of the race, and the crowd stayed home. It took a large crowd to pay for the lights, so it simply wasn't worth it. Moving it to the daytime might still have worked at the right time of year, but in June will not. It was incredibly hot this year; so much so I wished I had stayed at home, and that was before the race sucked.

With all that said, put the boring LMSC there in mid-summer, and start them in the hottest part of the day, and watch the crowds roll in. Whether we like it or not, this is no longer modified country.

EdR
07-26-2010, 01:34 PM
I really don't see any part of the south as Modified country. I still feel Orange County would be a great place for a tour show,either southern or combined.But then again I went to the Frost Bite
and there wasn't much promotion from them as well.Mabe some of these tracks need to take a strong look at there employees and make changes.I know if I make a mistake after mistake I'll be gone also.

MOD JUNKIE
07-26-2010, 06:12 PM
This sucks but with so few fans there and many not even showing for the taxi cab cup races these days maybe we need to enjoy it while we can.

Tucknut
08-02-2010, 10:38 AM
I don't know who "someone close to the speedway" is but I spoke with Mike Smith this morning. He said they are still evaluating the modified race and that no decision has been made at this point.

Jaws
08-02-2010, 11:14 AM
I don't know who "someone close to the speedway" is but I spoke with Mike Smith this morning. He said they are still evaluating the modified race and that no decision has been made at this point.

Unless they put it under the lights after Bowman Gray is closed or as a combo with a Sprint Cup weekend, they will do no better than this year.

zombo
08-04-2010, 06:45 PM

isn't that the pc way of saying, "no way we're bringing it back but we haven't written our press release yet"?

HillbillyCous
08-04-2010, 09:45 PM
I would love to see NORTH WILKSBORO!!!!!!!!!!

burtmyers1
08-05-2010, 11:04 PM
You might have gotten your wish.........

CONCORD, N.C. (August 5, 2010)–One historic event deserves another.

While the Brushy Mountain Apple Festival has been a must see event in Wilkes County, N.C., for years, the county’s racing history – dating back to the moonshine days and the birth of NASCAR – has been on a 14-year hiatus.

Once home to nationally televised stock car racing events at North Wilkesboro Speedway, the track has sat dormant for more than a decade. Thanks to a new ownership group and national attention, the speedway comes into focus again on the weekend of October 3.

The Apple Festival weekend will see the return of the Fall “Triple Header” which includes open wheel modified competition. Speedway officials confirmed the addition of a 100-lap Modified race and a 50-lap Street Stock race in conjunction with the Brushy Mountain 250 USARacing Pro Cup Series Championship race on Sunday, October 3, 2010.

“On behalf of Speedway Associates, Inc. I want to personally invite all modified competitors and race fans from “Madhouse” to extend your race schedule and come do battle at Historic North Wilkesboro Speedway,” said Alton McBride Jr., President and Director of Operations.

The Brushy Mountain 250 Pro Cup event, race three of the five-race 2010 Championship Series, is scheduled for 2 p.m. and is preceded by a 50-lap Street Stock event at 12:30 p.m. The open-wheel modifieds will roll off immediately following the Pro Cup event.

--more--
“In the past, the triple header in the fall at North Wilkesboro with stock cars and modifieds was always a tremendously exciting event,” said USARacing Managing Partner, Larry Camp. “I know the fans will love it.”

“The first weekend in October is synonymous with the Brushy Mountain Apple Festival,” said Camp. “The race events on Sunday will mark an exciting rebirth of the speedway for the folks in Wilkes and surrounding counties. I'm sure race fans everywhere are excited about the speedway's return to action."

Modified racing in the South recently gained national attention with the History Channel television show "Madhouse." With the regular modified season over at Bowman Gray Stadium in nearby Winston-Salem, N.C., the drivers of “Madhouse” fame are sure to add action and excitement to the weekend.

Gates open at 11 a.m. on Sunday. Tickets in advance are $17 for Adults and $9 for Kids ages 6-15. For more information about the historic North Wilkesboro Speedway and to purchase tickets, please visit www.historicnws.com or call 336.818.9505.

HillbillyCous
08-06-2010, 06:32 PM
You might have gotten your wish.........

yeah This will be good stuff

LiquidBread
08-07-2010, 10:27 PM
Been away for a while for reasons too numerous to mention, and of zero interest to 99.9% of the good folks on this forum, but I had to knock the cobwebs off and respond to this one.

Shame on the suits in Daytona Beach. Richie and Charlie deserve better than this.

It's time to get Mr. Bateman in the fold, make this a NE series, and tell NASCAR to please notice the mistletoe attached to our back pockets.

Sorry, this is wrong.

Modman4
08-22-2010, 05:56 PM
Unless they put it under the lights after Bowman Gray is closed or as a combo with a Sprint Cup weekend, they will do no better than this year.

I'll have to agree. There are tons of folks who attend Bowman Gray that probably are not gonna venture out and see a mod race at another track. Bowman Gray has some fans that go there and just really don't care anything about the mods. It's the total package for Bowman Gray that draws the people there. Racing, wrecking, maybe a fight, Bowman Gray is really more entertainment than racing but at $10 a head with the track located right near the highway in a central part of the piedmont, its a goldmine. Now having said all of that that are lots of us too that really enjoy modified racing. Make fun of BG or whatever but it's all we have here in the South (except 1 tour race at Caraway in July) until the season at BG is over. Have the race after Bowman Gray is over and you will get more support. I think although the Northern guys and fans support the hell out of the mods it def. hurt that the race wasn't a combined event because there are several teams who don't run BG but run the tour. I know the Northern guys are the kings of modfied racing but there are those of us in the South that really enjoy the mods and not just Bowman Gray mods. I enjoy watching them at Concord the best. I think of Martinsville and I think of Cup racing and the Modifieds and that should not change.

Btw, if the mods don't come back to Martinsvlle, they can ease my pain by running at N. Wilkesboro.

Modman4
08-22-2010, 06:02 PM

Man Motor Mile is a great racetrack. I went to a Southern Tour race there a few years ago and enjoyed it. There are some great tracks down South not being utilzed by the Southern Tour Ace and Motor Mile just to name a couple.

burtmyers1
08-23-2010, 01:33 AM
There are some great tracks down South not being utilzed by the Southern Tour

Ace and Lanier are no longer Nascar sanctioned and Motor Mile is in love with fenders. Kenly is sitting and rotting. Hickory has no money. I will keep going if you want me too.

stabone
08-23-2010, 09:10 AM
Ace and Lanier are no longer Nascar sanctioned and Motor Mile is in love with fenders. Kenly is sitting and rotting. Hickory has no money. I will keep going if you want me too.

What does not being a Nascar track have to do with anything????

burtmyers1
08-23-2010, 04:35 PM
Since Nascar took over, we haven't ran at a non-Nascar track. Which is why we stopped running at Kenly, Ace, and Lanier.

jandj
08-30-2010, 08:30 AM
Losing M'ville for the Mods sucks, "back in the day" the LMS/Mod doubleheaders were fantastic shows, it had to be something pretty important to keep me from one of 'em.

On the bright side - this Saturday night I get to see the Southern Tour 45 minutes from home at Langley Speedway. It's been a while since the Mods have run there and I'm expecting a good crowd. I started going there when it was still dirt and the Mods were the feature division. Got to see Ray Hendrick, Sonny Hutchens, Lennie Pond, Runt Harris, the Torre brothers, Ted Hairfield and a slew of others.
I'm stoked!