PDA

View Full Version : What makes a good race?

Ka$h25
07-27-2010, 02:15 AM
What is it for you that makes a race enjoyable?

Too many cautions are boring. But Green to checker is usually boring too as the fast cars don't have enough time to get to the front. Rivalries are fun to watch, but wrecked race cars are never nice to see. Obviously passing is nice to see, I wouldn't mind seeing Riverhead get a little more tricky with their handicapping. It sucks when a fast car starts upfront just because of a couple bad weeks. Maybe just using a sample of more than 3 weeks will help.

Anyway, what makes a race entertaining or boring for everyone else?

Wheel Racing
07-27-2010, 08:09 PM
....the element of surprise. The lack of predictability. Hard, clean racing with the better DRIVER out driving the more expen$ive car in the end. The best races for me are the ones where TALENT wins in the end. Anybody can buy trophies at a Pro Shop, so why let them buy the trophies at the track too. I also like to see hard work pay off and cheating be punished. I also enjoy a good "underdog" win and I can't stand time trial races when the fastest cars runs away without any competition.

DOR 58 FIGURE 8
07-27-2010, 08:33 PM
Riverhead Raceway, changes to their scoring procedures beginning July 31, 2010 should be PRETTY ENTERTAINING!!! How about some REAL Officials?? Now that would make much better racing!! The Favoritism is what makes crappy racing for the fans, drivers and the crews!! When a driver is rough riding the driver should be black flagged, done for the night!! NOT put to the end of the last place car finishing the race!! Because that just leaves the drivers to TAKE CARE OF BUSSINESS THEMSELVES!! Entertainment is some place else!! Have Fun Getting Screwed!! Bye-Bye!!

fisherman
07-27-2010, 08:46 PM
Riverhead Raceway, changes to their scoring procedures beginning July 31, 2010 should be PRETTY ENTERTAINING!!! How about some REAL Officials?? Now that would make much better racing!! The Favoritism is what makes crappy racing for the fans, drivers and the crews!! When a driver is rough riding the driver should be black flagged, done for the night!! NOT put to the end of the last place car finishing the race!! Because that just leaves the drivers to TAKE CARE OF BUSSINESS THEMSELVES!! Entertainment is some place else!! Have Fun Getting Screwed!! Bye-Bye!!

i can see 2 black flags for the 58 and 85 lollllllll

fisherman
07-27-2010, 08:48 PM

i can see 2 black flags for the 58 and 85 lollllllll see why i lefttttttttttttt

DOR 58 FIGURE 8
07-27-2010, 09:26 PM
AACCHOO!!!........٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶..I'm allergic to bull****, drama, head games, liars, & fake ass people
No Ronnie the 58 & 85 are taking the Green Flag Out!!

Gravel
07-28-2010, 08:32 AM
Good, close, side by side racing. Bigger car counts, but that goes to consistant officials calls. A former official TRIED to come back to make a difference. Was told that the owners like things the way they are.

Richie25
07-28-2010, 09:37 AM
maybe new pavement would help the racing? or maybe some coke syrup for the outside groove to be more competitive with the bottom groove? defiantly more car counts would be awesome. and heat races for the biggest and strongest division riverhead has and thats the legends cars !!!!

DOR 58 FIGURE 8
07-28-2010, 07:49 PM
Good, close, side by side racing. Bigger car counts, but that goes to consistant officials calls. A former official TRIED to come back to make a difference. Was told that the owners like things the way they are.

And as far as "CONSISTANT OFFICIAL CALL" Never at Riverhead Wreckway!! Bigger car counts isn't going to be happening with the way they run that place!! All the track is good at is chasing cars away!! Hope The Owners like having less, and less car counts being they like the way things are!!

Tommyj16
07-28-2010, 09:50 PM
i think every week pick out of hat and after that if you win rhe next week you can pick until every one else pocks winner coul be 1st or last or anywhere in between lets make it fun

Gravel
07-28-2010, 10:44 PM
And as far as "CONSISTANT OFFICIAL CALL" Never at Riverhead Wreckway!! Bigger car counts isn't going to be happening with the way they run that place!! All the track is good at is chasing cars away!! Hope The Owners like having less, and less car counts being they like the way things are!!

Dor, I NEVER played favorites.

catfish
07-29-2010, 08:43 AM
Hence why you were not invited back, Gravel.

greggforce01
07-29-2010, 12:34 PM
Would love to see more consistant calls...you can't penalize one car for a fender hanging off and not another. You can't send a car to the back for bumping one week, and then next week another car does it and nothing is done. Bottom line is that its a 1/4 mile track, gonna be bumping and that makes good racing.

Gravel
07-29-2010, 08:26 PM
Exactly. Once the cars are on the track, your only a number. But, what do I know.:confused::confused:

allhailunc
07-30-2010, 08:44 AM
Geez whats going on here?i thought i was the only person to post negative things about the track on here!is someone trying to move in on my territory:lol::lol::lol:

fisherman
07-30-2010, 11:43 AM
Geez whats going on here?i thought i was the only person to post negative things about the track on here!is someone trying to move in on my territory:lol::lol::lol:

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO:lol::wave::wave:

Gravel
07-30-2010, 10:08 PM

Whats right is right. Whether good or bad, when the management does something right, they deserve the credit. When they make, what we consider wrong moves, they will be critized. Just remember, it's their playground. I write what I feel. Won't BS people here.

Ka$h25
08-01-2010, 12:06 PM
Would love to see more consistant calls...you can't penalize one car for a fender hanging off and not another. You can't send a car to the back for bumping one week, and then next week another car does it and nothing is done. Bottom line is that its a 1/4 mile track, gonna be bumping and that makes good racing.

Not everything is always black and white though. There are different degrees and elements to every situation. You just can't say that everyone with a fender hanging off should be black flagged, and you also cant say that anyone with a fender hanging off is safe to race. Same goes for bumping people around. It's okay to leave things up to judgment so long as the people making the judgments are good at what they do.

night gent
08-01-2010, 12:34 PM
I agree with Gregforce about consistency. If a huge piece of fender hanging off isn't cause for a black flag,then nothing is. Hey kash, yes you can say a fender hanging off should always be black flagged. We are not talking about a small piece flapping around, the whole fender was hanging off. I have yet to witness in all my years of watching big league racing an entire fender hanging off being ignored. I understand short tracking is a different ball game but I guess they got the winner they wanted in last nights charger race. And this is coming from an unbiased observer!

Ka$h25
08-01-2010, 01:10 PM
I agree with Gregforce about consistency. If a huge piece of fender hanging off isn't cause for a black flag,then nothing is. Hey kash, yes you can say a fender hanging off should always be black flagged. We are not talking about a small piece flapping around, the whole fender was hanging off. I have yet to witness in all my years of watching big league racing an entire fender hanging off being ignored. I understand short tracking is a different ball game but I guess they got the winner they wanted in last nights charger race. And this is coming from an unbiased observer!

How do you determine the difference between a "small piece" and a piece large enough to constitute as the whole fender? Really, I don't know what makes them throw the black flag sometimes and let it go other times, I'd love an officials explanation. I think it's the manner in which the fender is hanging. Sometimes you'll see it stuck pointing outwards, but in some cases it peels back completely and flattens against the door. I can see how a jagged fender pointing out would pose a danger and a flat fender can be looked passed.

night gent
08-01-2010, 05:16 PM
Black flag or not, at least I got to see the " Turn one brokeback mountain cowboys"climb the fence!

Ka$h25
08-01-2010, 05:39 PM
Black flag or not, at least I got to see the " Turn one brokeback mountain cowboys"climb the fence!

I'm glad you enjoyed the show and found a way to make a homophobic remark at the same time.

:cheers:

unowho243
08-01-2010, 10:38 PM
I would like to see more consistent calls also.... But seeing cars come from the back of the pack to the front in 20 laps and doing it in a clean respectful manner is what i like to see! charger race was great! most of the time Blunderbusts are too most of the divisions put on a great show

as for the broke back cowboy comment... don't hate us cause you aint us.. we have a great time every week and to me thats what counts the most!:cheers:

J.D.
08-02-2010, 07:02 AM
PASSING, PASSING and PASSING

quickmc73
08-02-2010, 11:31 AM
this past sat i was blown away with the take all you can get mentality!!!the charger race in my eyes was a ugly race!!!.all season long i raced the entire division clean and with total respect,that was not recipricated at all this past sat.numerous times i had cars totaly crossed up and ready to wreck in front of me( if thats what i wanted to happen),but no i give them the chance to correct the car before i just blatently finish them off!!!!.well this division in a whole has just pissed of a front runner who has now had enough!!,hope you ran me clean if you are in front of me,cause if you havent in the past you will find out the hardway.i have always given respect to my fellow racers so in return i could get the same respect.i am not saying that i am going out to wreck every car,actually i wont wreck anybody(that is if they can get control of there car).i will not lay down to anydriver who is running for points or the championship!if you are one of those cars,you just made your chances that much harder!.as for what makes a good race,thats simple,pass the car you are racing,drive around them not through them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

greggforce01
08-02-2010, 11:44 AM

As I said in another thread, I think that they only send you in with a fender hanging off if there is a caution. They won't stop a race just beacause a piece of plastic is flapping around. On the other hand, if there is a caution, they send you in. This makes sense to me. I thought Sat. night's calls were pretty good finally.

Ka$h25
08-02-2010, 09:01 PM
this past sat i was blown away with the take all you can get mentality!!!the charger race in my eyes was a ugly race!!!.all season long i raced the entire division clean and with total respect,that was not recipricated at all this past sat.numerous times i had cars totaly crossed up and ready to wreck in front of me( if thats what i wanted to happen),but no i give them the chance to correct the car before i just blatently finish them off!!!!.well this division in a whole has just pissed of a front runner who has now had enough!!,hope you ran me clean if you are in front of me,cause if you havent in the past you will find out the hardway.i have always given respect to my fellow racers so in return i could get the same respect.i am not saying that i am going out to wreck every car,actually i wont wreck anybody(that is if they can get control of there car).i will not lay down to anydriver who is running for points or the championship!if you are one of those cars,you just made your chances that much harder!.as for what makes a good race,thats simple,pass the car you are racing,drive around them not through them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

obviously the video doesn't show everything, but i couldn't find anything to be too heated about. the only time it seemed like there was contact with you was when the 5 got his flat. there was a bit of a chain reaction, the 56 got into the 5, you got into the 56 and the 00 got into you, but it didn't seem very malicious at all.

hollywoodmic
08-03-2010, 10:02 AM
Gregg they don't need to throw a caution to take a car off the track. Black Flag them to avoid the future caution. You all know I'm not a Turbush hater, they are my friends. I wasn't at the races on Saturday but could you imagine what this board would look like if the 36 got to stay out and the Lazy 1 was called into the pits...........I think people are asking for consistency if the Lazy 1 was good to stay out leave the 36 out, don't pick and choose as officials it doesn't look good. Fender hanging off.....anyone goes to the pits, or wait til it falls off and throw the yellow and no one goes to the pits. Don't leave the calls up to judgement, make them black and white rules.

allhailunc
08-03-2010, 11:28 AM
:lol:only problem Hollywood:wave: is that the day the track gets rules in black&white is the day they take the erasers off the pencils they write the rules with

Ka$h25
08-03-2010, 12:15 PM
I remember one time my dad was leading with a fender hanging off, the officials were sending him to the pits until another competitor came by, parked their on the hanging fender while dad drove away ripping it off. Imagine seeing that kind of sportsmanship these days...

Side note, the other driver I believe was Kenny Darch and I'm certain he got a flat from the gesture. And he'd still probably do it again.

byrnemtrspts
08-03-2010, 03:44 PM
bethel motorspeedway has GREAT racing each week. All the things everyone has listed under"good racing" happens at bethel. Car counts, consistant calls, passing, RACING. The track promoters do not play favoritism on the calls. Its good clean fair racing. Cautions are usually quick.

RacinRob
08-03-2010, 04:08 PM
:confused::confused:At Bethel other than a full legend feature, I see the pro stocks with 15 cars, street stocks with 9 cars, bandelaros with 9 and 4 cyl with 11. That's good car counts?

Turbo
08-03-2010, 06:47 PM
Gregg they don't need to throw a caution to take a car off the track. Black Flag them to avoid the future caution. You all know I'm not a Turbush hater, they are my friends. I wasn't at the races on Saturday but could you imagine what this board would look like if the 36 got to stay out and the Lazy 1 was called into the pits...........I think people are asking for consistency if the Lazy 1 was good to stay out leave the 36 out, don't pick and choose as officials it doesn't look good. Fender hanging off.....anyone goes to the pits, or wait til it falls off and throw the yellow and no one goes to the pits. Don't leave the calls up to judgement, make them black and white rules.

the fender was on until 2 to go , then it started flapping back but it was secure. Think they sent the 36 in when there was a caution steve. Guarantee if the caution came out in those last 2 laps, the 81 would have been sent to the pits and to black flag in the first few laps of the race (knowing you have to go 20 some odd laps with that fender, other then 2 more laps of the race).

I just have to shout out to brian and jay that i had fun racing you guys. Wish i could have finished but thats racing.

hollywoodmic
08-04-2010, 10:07 AM
As I said Roger, they should just be consistent. If they put the 36 in the pits with a fender hanging off the Lazy 1 should have been put in or black flagged, if there was only 2 laps left the black flag wouldn't have mattered you have 3 laps to get off the track and he still would've won. Here's an idea: let them race with the fender hanging off. If your fender comes off and it draws a caution you go to the rear, if its the only reason for the caution. In other words if you drive through a wreck and your fender comes off, but you weren't part of the caution you stay on track in your spot. A rule like that just takes the judgement out of it, fender comes off and it causes a caution you go to the rear. Your fender is able to stay on and you win the race.........You win the race.

Ka$h25
08-04-2010, 10:56 AM
As I said Roger, they should just be consistent. If they put the 36 in the pits with a fender hanging off the Lazy 1 should have been put in or black flagged, if there was only 2 laps left the black flag wouldn't have mattered you have 3 laps to get off the track and he still would've won. Here's an idea: let them race with the fender hanging off. If your fender comes off and it draws a caution you go to the rear, if its the only reason for the caution. In other words if you drive through a wreck and your fender comes off, but you weren't part of the caution you stay on track in your spot. A rule like that just takes the judgement out of it, fender comes off and it causes a caution you go to the rear. Your fender is able to stay on and you win the race.........You win the race.

i like that alot.

hollywoodmic
08-04-2010, 04:14 PM
The old metal fenders maybe. I don't think there is a danger of that happening. You never know though.

Richie25
08-05-2010, 06:55 PM
I just watched the K&N East race at Lee usa speedway. They put coke syrup or some other chemical up in the high groove that made for some great racing. riverhead should do the same.

Ka$h25
08-09-2010, 02:25 AM
I just watched the K&N East race at Lee usa speedway. They put coke syrup or some other chemical up in the high groove that made for some great racing. riverhead should do the same.

is that the popular opinion? quality of racing has gone down because the track is wearing down? obviously its not gonna be anyone reason but i like to think it has more to do with the low car count, more parity, maybe tire compounds?

and on the topic of tires, let the modifieds use softener.