PDA

View Full Version : Bowman Gray 199

coachjim
07-31-2010, 04:10 PM
I will be there with my family and TC and Civali will lay wast to those southern boys no doubt about it :lol:

TonyP
08-01-2010, 01:07 PM
Who's car will TC be in?

limodmaniac
08-01-2010, 04:48 PM
I'm guessing a Hill 79 team car to Civali

limodmaniac
08-02-2010, 02:12 PM
I'm hearing no TC at Bowman Gray

Rabbit504
08-02-2010, 03:24 PM
I'm hearing no TC at Bowman Gray

No TC-James Team cars.

Jaws
08-08-2010, 08:43 PM
What would be the incentive to show up for that race?...$2,000.00 to win a 199 lap race at a track that has 15,000 or more fans in the stands??

And it drops off pretty good from there.

limodmaniac
08-08-2010, 09:13 PM
Sad that they can get away with that!

Jaws
08-08-2010, 10:31 PM
Dollar a head probably about pays the purse. So if it was even their normal $10.00 another profitable night for the track and exspensive for 18 dedicated modified teams.

Could you imagine what could be done up north with 15,000 mod fans a week??

NC Mudcat
08-10-2010, 01:53 PM
All in all, a pretty good race. Burt got to the front pretty quickly, and Jason let him in from the outside front row on a restart. He was the class of the field until about 50 to go and you could see LW was pretty quick. LW started tapping on Burt's bumper a little, then finally got him with a decent shot to the bumper, then drove off into the sunset. Who says a non-regular can't win there? Pretty disappointed to not see Brian Loftin and Jr. Miller, and to see Civali put himself into the fence so early. Honestly, it was about as good a race as I have seen there in oh, about 30 - 35 years.

kinserfan11
08-15-2010, 10:47 PM
The race will be televised Teusday 8/17/10 from 7pm est to 8pm est on Verus Network :D

Modman4
08-22-2010, 05:27 PM
Dollar a head probably about pays the purse. So if it was even their normal $10.00 another profitable night for the track and exspensive for 18 dedicated modified teams.

Could you imagine what could be done up north with 15,000 mod fans a week??

I think about this all the time. That weekend was a regular $10 admission that night. It was part of a 2 night deal where on Friday night they have some legend car races, 50 lap BG mod race, and a few other races with only a $1.99 admission or something to that effect. Strutmasters was sponsoring the weekend and the race on Saturday and you had to go their site to print off a coupon to get the discount. Good weekend for racing even if you don't like BG. And Mudcat I'll have to disagree with ya on that race. The race was pretty boring for the most part until the end. The "regular" BG races this year have been pretty good and entertaining. I do agree once again though, I always wonder what BG makes off of the crowd. Last nights season ending race was about the same crowd as you saw on tv for the 199. Makes ya wonder.

Modman4
08-22-2010, 05:30 PM
What would be the incentive to show up for that race?...$2,000.00 to win a 199 lap race at a track that has 15,000 or more fans in the stands??

And it drops off pretty good from there.

Shows why there were only 18 cars in that field,....among other reasons. The Southern Tour is not supported like it should be. PERIOD. It is too costly for some guys to run the Southern Tour and it just doesn't pay enough to travel and race which is why some guys will run only BG. Also from a guy who helps with Tim Browns modifed, he's told me that Tim can win more money at Bowman Gray winning the title and winning awards than he could running and winning the Tour. Take it for what it's worth. Bowman Gray doesn't pay great either weekly but there are incentives at the end of the year to earn some bonus money (most poles, fastest time, etc.). Like the place or not BG has great support from sponsors and fans. Having said all of that it's not like the mod guys are making money either just throwing out some tidbits. Maybe some of you guys could share what some of the weekly mod tracks pay up North for a mod race. Just curious.

Jaws
08-22-2010, 06:49 PM
I believe Riverhead pays about $1,200.00- $1,500. for a regular show. Now thats with about 500-1,000 people in the stands for the first month of the season and 5 other divisions some nights.

Shangra La II pays $1,500.00 to win for a regular show.

Jaws
08-22-2010, 06:58 PM
I think about this all the time. That weekend was a regular $10 admission that night. It was part of a 2 night deal where on Friday night they have some legend car races, 50 lap BG mod race, and a few other races with only a $1.99 admission or something to that effect. Strutmasters was sponsoring the weekend and the race on Saturday and you had to go their site to print off a coupon to get the discount. Good weekend for racing even if you don't like BG. And Mudcat I'll have to disagree with ya on that race. The race was pretty boring for the most part until the end. The "regular" BG races this year have been pretty good and entertaining. I do agree once again though, I always wonder what BG makes off of the crowd. Last nights season ending race was about the same crowd as you saw on tv for the 199. Makes ya wonder.

Lets see, 15,000(and they do pack in more some weeks) x $10.00 = $150,000 Add in probably another $10,000 -$20,000 or more in concessions plus they have more sponsors than you can shake a stick at.

I can't imagine the total purse is more than $15,000. Deduct insurance and payroll plus other expenses They have to clear $75,000 to $100,000 almost every week. 15 weeks a year? Whats that about 1.5 million in profit potential each year. Even on the low side 1 milllion? Gee could you pay a big purse one week for the loyalty of the drivers and fans?

But from their side why should they? 100-125 race cars in the pits every week, tens of thousands of fans that who get in at a reasonable admission.

Who owns the track anyway?

Racer1_NC
08-22-2010, 09:28 PM
The City of Winston-Salem, NC owns the place. The concession money goes to them....at least most of it does.

Winston Salem Speedway INC leases the place during the summer under a long term contract to hold racing events there.

Howie
08-24-2010, 04:53 PM
I saw this little tidbit in Keith Waltz column in last weeks National Speed Sport News.

"In 1960, a gallon of gas cost 26 cents and the average price of a new car was $2,610. That same year A. J. Foyt earned $10,255 for winning the prestigious Hoosier Hundred at the Indiana State Fairgrounds. Fifty years later, both a gallon of gas and the price of a new car are 10 times higher, yet Shane Hmiel earned $255 less for winning the same race."

Jaws
08-24-2010, 07:34 PM
I saw this little tidbit in Keith Waltz column in last weeks National Speed Sport News.

"In 1960, a gallon of gas cost 26 cents and the average price of a new car was $2,610. That same year A. J. Foyt earned $10,255 for winning the prestigious Hoosier Hundred at the Indiana State Fairgrounds. Fifty years later, both a gallon of gas and the price of a new car are 10 times higher, yet Shane Hmiel earned $255 less for winning the same race."

Bet it cost him a bit more to race than in 1960