PDA

View Full Version : 08/07/10 - Bowman Gray

RGeeProductions
08-08-2010, 10:42 PM
L.W. Miller Takes First Win at Bowman Gray
Miller becomes first northern driver to win Strutmasters.com 199.

The NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour brings drivers from all across the Eastern United States to race at Bowman Gray Stadium – yet no one but the local drivers had ever visited Victory Lane . Until now.

L.W. Miller of Dushore , PA claimed the checkered in the Strutmasters.com 199 on Saturday, the annual date at Bowman Gray Stadium for the Southern Modified Tour. Miller lists the victory as one of the most memorable of his entire career.

Jason Myers of Walnut Cove started on the pole after the top ten qualifiers drew for starting position. Starting right beside of him was Brad Robbins of Winston-Salem . Myers grabbed the lead as the green flag fell and defended his lead against several outside-row challenges from Robbins and L.W. Miller.

When Miller was caught on the outside row during a restart, Burt Myers of Walnut Cove slipped into second place – placing the Myers brothers in first and second. An opportunity for brotherly rivalry came just a few short laps later when a restart let Burt battle his brother from the outside. Burt beat Jason into turn one to claim the lead.

“We know that we can race each other hard and even if we knock each other, we know we’re not doing anything intentional,” said Burt about racing his brother. “Since I beat him in the corner and got the lead from him, I guess I get bragging rights this week.”

Burt Myers held the lead for the next 100 laps, fending off advances from brother Jason and L.W. Miller, while Jason and Miller battled for third place. Miller and Jason Myers bumped fenders a few times as they clamored for position.

Unfortunately for Burt Myers, his car appeared to be losing its ability to handle through the corners, giving L.W. Miller an opportunity to pass. Miller gave Myers a shot on lap 135 and claimed the lead. With no other cautions in the race, Myers never got a chance for revenge from the outside row. Miller led the rest of the way and took the win.

“For the first three-quarters of the race, we were really good - but I just started running out of car,” said Burt Myers. “I started getting real loose getting in the corner, and it didn’t take much of a shot to get me out of the groove.”

With the touring series using moderately different car configurations from the normal Bowman Gray Stadium Modified competitions, Myers was presented with a new set of challenges. “I think we just missed the setup a little bit. You really have to change your setup for the tour,” said Myers. “I didn’t burn the tires off of it; we just had the setup a little too free.”

Meanwhile, L.W. Miller’s car seemed to only get better as the race went along. “My car owner’s put a great car under me,” said Miller, who said he almost didn’t push the issue with Burt Myers. “All race long I knew I hard to race smart, because we’re racing for points. ‘Race smart, race smart’ – and finally I thought that if I can just stay with Burt, maybe he’ll slip up. He started slipping up at the end - and I thought that if I’m ever going to win a race at Bowman Gray Stadium, now’s my chance,” said Miller.

Miller has had his share of problems at the Stadium in previous tour events. Although he doesn’t have the experience that other drivers may have at the Stadium, Miller feels that the tight quarter-mile so challenging that he’s on equal footing. “I don’t believe that anybody ever overcomes the Stadium. This is one of those racetracks you can come to your entire life - and I think about the time you think you’ve got it figured out, you realize you don’t,” said Miller.

“Coming here to Bowman Gray Stadium and winning a race is unbelievable for a guy like me,” said Miller, who became the 117th driver to win a feature event in the 62 year history of Bowman Gray Stadium. Miller adds his name to the roster of legends who have won at the Stadium, such as Richard Petty, Junior Johnson, Richie Evans, and Curtis Turner. “To come here and get on the list of winners at Bowman Gray Stadium – I can’t even explain how awesome it is to win this race for me.”

Burt Myers, who finished in second, would’ve surely loved to win the race – but he nevertheless was excited to see Miller take his first win ever at the Stadium. “It’s always special when somebody gets their first win at Bowman Gray Stadium, so I know he’s going to have a good weekend,” said Myers about Miller.

John Smith of Mount Airy finished in third after getting by Jason Myers, who claimed fourth.

In the Webb Heating & A/C Co. Sportsman Series, Kevin Neal of Walkertown took the win in the 40-lap race on Saturday. Taylor Branch of Lewisville finished in second, with Gary Ledbetter of Lexington taking third.

John McNeal of Winston-Salem brought home the victory in the 20-lapper for the 104.1 WTQR Street Stock Series. David Sumner of Trinity claimed second. Zack Clifton of Walkertown finished in third.

Jason Keaton of Mocksville claimed the checkered in the 15-lap race for the Time Warner Cable Stadium Stock Series.

Race Results

STRUTMASTERS.com 199 for the NASCAR WHELEN SOUTHERN MODIFIED TOUR: 199 laps
FINISH CAR DRIVER HOMETOWN
1 36 L.W. Miller Dushore, PA
2 1 Burt Myers Walnut Cove, NC
3 25 John Smith Mount Airy, NC
4 4 Jason Myers Walnut Cove, NC
5 47 Andy Seuss Hampstead, NH
6 40 Frank Fleming Mount Airy, NC
7 11 Zach Brewer Winston-Salem, NC
8 44 Brandon Hire Winston-Salem, NC
9 2 Josh Nichols Winston-Salem, NC