PDA

View Full Version : Thompson Owner Not Happy About Possible Modified Tour Schedule Addition at NHMS

ShawnCourchesne
08-11-2010, 08:25 PM
Thompson Speedway Owner Don Hoenig Not Happy About Possible Modified Tour Schedule Addition At NHMS ( http://blogs.courant.com/autoracing/2010/08/thompson-speedway-owner-don-ho-1.html)

limodmaniac
08-11-2010, 08:58 PM
Now that Loudon is running a week later in September , how about putting on a race the Thompson 300 weekend. Doesn't even have to be the 300, but Thompson should grab that weekend before anyone else does.

As for having to move the show one week because Loudon might have another race, just move it! Just push it up one week. Stafford can move their race up one week. Sometimes you have to realize the big fish in the pond gets their way. And right now, Loudon is the big fish.

Maybe Thompson could even move the race to early June. Maybe even put it on a Saturday night like they ran the East Series races.

Send Don my tentative 2011 schedule. It doesn't look that horrible.

oleblue
08-12-2010, 12:10 AM
if all possible bring back the thompson 300, one of the greatest races of the year when it ran on the schedule. please, pretty please bring it back mr hoeing!!!!!!:)

MJProcko
08-12-2010, 02:53 AM
Sorry Don but running the WMT at NHIS on the big ticket weekends takes precedence here. You can move your date and you will be find, not running 6 days after Stafford could also help turnout too. Improving the WMT also helps you and adding a big paying show at NHIS is the way to do it. Remember you did drop a WMT date this year for a second MRS date, that doesn't help the WMT at all.

I thought the 40 lap open shows is a great idea and would be at each one if I still lived in CT. Putting it the day before Stafford I thought was a bad choice, as with the first one. The WMT teams were running the same week, and yet some big WMT names still made it, can't really say that about the guys you gave a second date and weren't racing that week at all. I think the rain out will help you in the long run.

PS
I agree too that 300 weekend is sorely missed.

BigMac
08-12-2010, 10:01 AM
They say a Cup race weekend brings in about $750 million to the state of NH. Let's say an IRL brings in $200 million. Forgive NHMS, the State of NH and the TV networks for not consulting Thompson Speedway before agreeing to a new schedule. Give me a break. It wouldn't be that hard for Thompson to move the date up or back a week or two. August is generally the toughest part of the schedule with 4 races in 3 weeks. Time to make lemonade out of lemons. When one door closes, another opens.

Quick note on Jerry Gappens. I believe him when he says he wants to work with the short tracks. This guy is on NH radio every week selling his track. He goes on Boston airways on a semi-regular basis selling NHMS events. He is all over the place. This guy is a true promoter. The short tracks around here would be smart to hitch their wagons to NHMS.

Teds Race Tours
08-12-2010, 11:13 AM
They say a Cup race weekend brings in about $750 million to the state of NH. Let's say an IRL brings in $200 million. Forgive NHMS, the State of NH and the TV networks for not consulting Thompson Speedway before agreeing to a new schedule. Give me a break. It wouldn't be that hard for Thompson to move the date up or back a week or two. August is generally the toughest part of the schedule with 4 races in 3 weeks. Time to make lemonade out of lemons. When one door closes, another opens.

Quick note on Jerry Gappens. I believe him when he says he wants to work with the short tracks. This guy is on NH radio every week selling his track. He goes on Boston airways on a semi-regular basis selling NHMS events. He is all over the place. This guy is a true promoter. The short tracks around here would be smart to hitch their wagons to NHMS.

$200 million for an IRL date? MAYBE $5-10 million, if that. Also, $750 million is rather high for a cup weekend. 100,000 people would have to spend, or have an economic impact of $7500 each.

Also, Thompson Speedway has had more WMT events than anybody else. I don't blame Don for fealing slighted. They did this to him about 12 years ago and put an NH race on 300 weekend, and look where the 300 is now. I wouldnt be surprised if Thompson is down to 2(or less) Modified Tour Events next year.

FrankR105
08-12-2010, 12:22 PM
Several issues at work here.
Regarding the one about NH stealing away TIS's weekly guys, why in the world can't they get rid of qualifying the Mods on Thursdays anyway??
All the arguements have been presented many times and never addressed, but the working class guys need to provide for their families, and I'm sure another NH weekend won't necessarliy be welcomed by everyone. Changing just THAT would probably make a whole lot of people a lot happier (including Mr. Hoenig. Maybe they might consider doing that throwing him a proverbial bone).

JMHO

BigMac
08-12-2010, 01:21 PM
I'm not sure NHMS Thursday qualifying has an affect on Thompson. The guys who are running for the points get back. Even at that, we are only talking about a few drivers. With the September race being held a week later next year this issue will probably only have to be dealt with once. I assume they will qualify on a Fri or Sat for the IRL weekend.

My numbers were a little off. The governor's office quoted $200 million for the state between the 2 Cup weekends. That's the state, not the track. Hotels, restaurants and good old taxes. Still pretty good considering there is no sales tax or income tax in NH. I'm sure the drivers and owners don't have an issue with another NHMS event/ race purse being added to the schedule.

jeep4x486
08-12-2010, 01:49 PM
I have to agree with what Frank says on this. I dont know how many times I've heard how expensive it is to race and what not, so why do they drag the Modifieds into haveing to be at NHMS for 3 days. There is no reason they should have to be there on Thurs for a Saturday race (time off from work, lodging, etc.) Again this is where NASACAR does not realize that the Modifieds are not the Sprint Cup Series.

Gil
08-12-2010, 03:37 PM
"so why do they drag the Modifieds into haveing to be at NHMS for 3 days."

They are showing their compassion for the little guy(s) and gal(s)!!! Where else do they let you live with the BIG BOYS for three whole days!!!!

MJProcko
08-12-2010, 07:27 PM
Don should not be feeling slighted at all with Nascar as they are about to help him have his 3rd biggest event of his season, after the Ice Breaker & World Series. A race that Nascar will be showing in two weeks to a nationwide audience on VS, showcasing HIS track to America. Now a courtesy call might have been nice from Dayton but maybe a thank you and a let's work together on a new date for Thompson would be a better business move Don.

GM2
08-12-2010, 08:06 PM
The only way that the Mods wouldn't need to be there for 3 days is to run them on Friday. There is just too much going on at the track over the weekend for them to be able to show up and inspect/practice Friday and qual/race on Saturday.

There are 5 series running at the Sept. race at NHMS. Entry blanks aren't out yet so I'm not sure what the schedule looks like but at the June race with 4 series there were cars on track all day long. Not sure what could be done to move things around and get the mods down to a two day event.

Thursday, June 24th
11:30am - 1:00pm....K&N Practice
1:15pm - 2:45pm.....Mod Practice
3:15pm..................K&N Qualifying
4:45pm..................Mod Qualifying

Friday, June 25th
10:00am - 10:25am..TV Exhibition Run
10:30am - 11:20am..Nationwide Practice
11:30am - 1:00pm...Cup Practice
1:40pm - 3:00pm.....Nationwide Final Practice
3:10pm..................Cup Qualifying
5:00pm..................K&N Race (125 Laps)

Saturday, June 26th
8:15am - 8:55am....Mod Final Practice
9:00am - 9:50am....Cup Practice
10:05am................Nationwide Qualifying
11:45am - 12:45pm.Cup Final Practice
1:10pm..................Mod Race (100 Laps)
3:30pm..................Nationwide Race (175 Laps)

Axel
08-12-2010, 08:48 PM
NOw call me crazy, but why not simply do have qualifying on a FRI nite (it stays lite till almost 9pm in June) after the K&N race and then have em race on SAT morning.

GM2
08-12-2010, 09:07 PM
NOw call me crazy, but why not simply do have qualifying on a FRI nite (it stays lite till almost 9pm in June) after the K&N race and then have em race on SAT morning.

what about practice?? track is busy on friday from 10am till 7pm or so. can't practice and go right into qualifying. gotta have time for the teams to fix/work on their cars and then get through qualifying inspection.

and why would you want to run them Saturday morning? at least there's a chance of people being in the stands when you run them before the truck/nationwide race in the afternoon.

MXCHAMP04
08-13-2010, 08:30 AM
Sorry Don but running the WMT at NHIS on the big ticket weekends takes precedence here. You can move your date and you will be find, not running 6 days after Stafford could also help turnout too. Improving the WMT also helps you and adding a big paying show at NHIS is the way to do it. Remember you did drop a WMT date this year for a second MRS date, that doesn't help the WMT at all.

I thought the 40 lap open shows is a great idea and would be at each one if I still lived in CT. Putting it the day before Stafford I thought was a bad choice, as with the first one. The WMT teams were running the same week, and yet some big WMT names still made it, can't really say that about the guys you gave a second date and weren't racing that week at all. I think the rain out will help you in the long run.

PS
I agree too that 300 weekend is sorely missed.They did not drop a WMT date for another MRS date this year. Last year there were three WMT tour dates, the same as this year. They added another MRS date. Which is a great thing, competition brings out the best of a series.
And whatever happened to a couple years ago when this same owner was complaining about hoe he loses money on WMT dates? Well if you lose money on them, you wouldn't want them to come, right?

Modman75
08-13-2010, 08:48 AM
. Now a courtesy call might have been nice from Dayton but maybe a thank you and a let's work together on a new date for Thompson would be a better business move Don.

Forgive me if I read the article wrong, but doesn't it quote the NHIS GM as saying he would lobby NASCAR for the mods on that date? Haven't seen it written anywhere that Daytona has granted them a date. In Don's world, should he get a call whenever anybody wants to do something on a Thompson race weekend? Don has become a grumpy old track owner who is is looking at less than full fields and stands and is looking for someone to blame

wmass01013
08-13-2010, 08:58 AM
Forgive me if I read the article wrong, but doesn't it quote the NHIS GM as saying he would lobby NASCAR for the mods on that date? Haven't seen it written anywhere that Daytona has granted them a date. In Don's world, should he get a call whenever anybody wants to do something on a Thompson race weekend? Don has become a grumpy old track owner who is is looking at less than full fields and stands and is looking for someone to blame

BINGO, my sentiments exactly, he has been since he tried to LEASE the track to the POLAR BOYS until they didnt live up to the contract

NWMT PR
08-13-2010, 12:22 PM
The only way that the Mods wouldn't need to be there for 3 days is to run them on Friday. There is just too much going on at the track over the weekend for them to be able to show up and inspect/practice Friday and qual/race on Saturday.

There are 5 series running at the Sept. race at NHMS. Entry blanks aren't out yet so I'm not sure what the schedule looks like but at the June race with 4 series there were cars on track all day long. Not sure what could be done to move things around and get the mods down to a two day event.

Thursday, June 24th
11:30am - 1:00pm....K&N Practice
1:15pm - 2:45pm.....Mod Practice
3:15pm..................K&N Qualifying
4:45pm..................Mod Qualifying

Friday, June 25th
10:00am - 10:25am..TV Exhibition Run
10:30am - 11:20am..Nationwide Practice
11:30am - 1:00pm...Cup Practice
1:40pm - 3:00pm.....Nationwide Final Practice
3:10pm..................Cup Qualifying
5:00pm..................K&N Race (125 Laps)

Saturday, June 26th
8:15am - 8:55am....Mod Final Practice
9:00am - 9:50am....Cup Practice
10:05am................Nationwide Qualifying
11:45am - 12:45pm.Cup Final Practice
1:10pm..................Mod Race (100 Laps)
3:30pm..................Nationwide Race (175 Laps)

The following is the on-track schedule for the September race weekend. This does not include times for meetings, inspection, etc.

Thursday, September 16TH
11:30 AM 1:00 PM NKNPS-E PRACTICE
1:15 PM 2:45 PM NWMT PRACTICE
3:15 PM NKNPS-E QUALIFYING (TWO LAPS, ALL POSITIONS) IMPOUND-FOLLOWED BY
4:45 PM APPROX. NWMT QUALIFYING (TWO LAPS, ALL POSITIONS)

Friday, September 17TH
10:00 AM 11:20 AM NCWTS PRACTICE
11:30 AM 1:00 PM NSCS PRACTICE
1:15 PM 2:30 PM NCWTS FINAL PRACTICE
3:10 PM NSCS QUALIFYING (TWO LAPS, ALL POSITIONS)
4:40 PM NKNPS-E DRIVER INTRODUCTIONS
5:00 PM NKNPS-E RACE (125 LAPS, 132.24 MILES)

Saturday, September 18TH
8:00 AM 8:20 AM ACT FINAL PRACTICE
8:30 AM 8:50 AM NWMT FINAL PRACTICE
9:00 AM 9:50 AM NSCS PRACTICE
10:05 AM NCWTS QUALIFYING (TWO LAPS, ALL POSITIONS)
11:30 AM 12:30 PM NSCS FINAL PRACTICE
12:35 PM NWMT DRIVER INTRODUCTIONS
12:45 PM NWMT RACE (100 LAPS, 105.8 MILES)
2:30 PM NCWTS DRIVER INTRODUCTIONS
3:00 PM NCWTS RACE (175 LAPS,185.15 MILES) followed by
5:30 PM APPROX. ACT DRIVERS INTRODUCTIONS
5:45 PM APPROX. ACT RACE (50 LAPS, 52.9 MILES)

MOD11RACER
08-17-2010, 12:22 PM
Let's see Don's mad @ NASCAR and Loudon for stepping on his race. I wonder how Don is going to feel about the MRS when they schedule a race on the same weekend as the World Series @ Twin State Speedway in October this year. Will Don cry about this one ? You have to wonder why Jack would schedule a race on the same weekend as the WS after trying to get Thompson on the schedule for years. JMO