PDA

View Full Version : 08/13/10 - Spencer Speedway

RGeeProductions
08-14-2010, 11:42 AM
TIMMERMAN TAKES HIS FIRST SUNOCO MODIFIED FEATURE WIN SINCE 2008

Kevin Timmerman hasn’t finished outside of the top four all season long, but he could not seem to close the deal with a feature victory. That is until last Friday, when he won his first NASCAR Sunoco Modified feature since August 29, 2008 at Spencer Speedway.

“They put down some rubber high around the track,” stated Timmerman, “and that opened up a new grove to pass in. I have to thank my brother and my dad. There are just the three of us that work on this car.”

The 35-lap feature was slowed by two caution periods, both for minor incidents. The final yellow flew on lap 21, when defending track champion, Amy Catalano, seemed to lose power in her engine and slow on the track.

Willie Strusz dominated the Street Stock competition by finishing a half a lap ahead of second place finisher Mitchell Wright in the 20-lap main event. Earlier in the night numerous difficulties trimmed the Street Stock field down so just four cars answered the call for the feature. Strusz led every lap on his way to his third Street Stock feature win of the season.

“The promoter has offered us many incentives to build this class,” offered Strusz from victory lane. “So any of you out there that have a car come on out and let’s build this division.”

The Super Sixes saw Skip Powers take the lead from Joe Bailey on the second lap and never look back. Powers, the current divisional point leader, won his fifth feature of the season.

“We found a bent suspension part on the car last week and fix it,” continued Powers. ”That was all we needed to run up front again.”

The Auto Value Scorpions were on hand for their 15-lap feature. Otis Bradshaw picked up his second feature win in 2010 at Spencer Speedway. Otis grabbed the lead from Bro Bradshaw on lap four. Young Alison Knoepfler, took out after Otis but fell short.

“I could hear those RPM’s rev up on Alison’s Honda, but she couldn’t catch this Mustang of mine,” stated Bradshaw in victory lane.

Finally the Legend cars returned and it was Brad Salatino who took his second feature win of the year at Spencer. Jake Vernon, who won the second feature this season, went down three laps after a suspension part failed. He was able to earn back one of those lost laps before the checkers flew.

Matt Lees grabbed the lead at the start of the 35-lap NASCAR Sunoco Modified main event. A four car pack of Daryl Lewis Jr., Terry Cheetham, Ryan Beeman and Kevin Timmerman were all vying for second. Lewis was able to pass Lees and take the lead, with Timmerman moving by on the outside for second. On lap seven Timmerman stayed the course in the outside lane and took the lead.

The yellow flew on lap eight when Toad Bradshaw looped around in the fourth turn. The restart saw Timmerman hold off Beeman and stretch out a five car advantage. Tony Hanbury moved into a solid third and tried to chase down Beeman in second.

Amy Catalano’s engine failure saw the yellow fly for one more time. Timmerman out dragged his competition. Hanbury used the restart to grab second from Beeman. Timmerman stretched out his lead to a seven car advantage at the finish line. Hanbury came home second followed by Beeman, Lewis Jr. and Lees, holding off Ed die Hawkins at the wire.

The Street Stocks were all Willie Strusz. “I really wanted to race Jim (Steffenhagen Jr.) really bad,” related Strusz, referring to a new car Steffenhagen fielded for the night. “I am not sure why he wasn’t able to race.”

The Super Six class saw Skip Powers come from third to pass Joe Bailey for the lead on the second lap. Bailey faded back into the pack with Patti Davenport holding second. Davenport found herself battling last week’s winner Van Grant for the runner up position. Grant hounded Davenport , making his move with just two laps remaining in the race. Powers took the win, followed by Grant, Davenport , Brian Hallett and Peter Cowell.

The Auto Value Four Cylinder Scorpions saw the Bradshaw clad return to victory lane and run their Ford Mustangs to the front of the field. The contingent of Honda drivers was well represented. Unfortunately the original start had to be slowed when Zach Willis had his Honda slide through the infield grass, off the back stretch, and slam into a truck tire protecting an infield light post. Willis’s car got airborne, but landed on all four wheels.

Alison Knoepfler took her Honda into the lead at the drop of the green, but one lap later it was Bro Bradshaw’s Mustang in front of the field. Two laps later Otis Bradshaw took command of the led and stretched out his lead over Bro and Knoepfler by seven car lengths.

Knoepfler was able to retake second from Bro Bradshaw on lap eight and moved in on Otis’s Mustang. She closed on to the rear bumper of the Bradshaw car in the closing lap, but fell short at the finish line. Otis took his second win of the year followed by Knoepfler, Bro Bradshaw, Russell Peets and Mike Bradshaw.

Legend Car racing saw Charlie Newman recorded as the leader of the first lap. However Zach Treusdail was on the move and charged by Newman to take the lead on the back stretch. The yellow flew on lap six when former winner Jake Vernon broke a suspension part, showering the speedway in sparks through turns one and two. Vernon slowed but was able to limp into the pits.

The restart saw Treusdail remain in the lead over Salatino and Brett Coon. On lap nine, Treusdail slide high and slammed sideways into the second turn wall, breaking his right front wheel. This brought out the second yellow of the race. As the cars restarted, with Coons in the lead, Vernon was able to return to the race, three laps down. He would charge past the leaders to get one of those laps back, before time ran out.

Coons remained the leader until lap 19 when Salatino went high through the third and fourth turns to take the lead. At the finish it was Salatino with the victory followed by Coons, Jeff Decker, Brandon DeBrakeleer and Newman.

“For a moment I thought Jake ( Vernon ) was taking the lead when he blew by me,” related Salatino. “It wasn’t until I saw the flagger give me the white flag that I realized he was a lap down.” He continued, “I hated to use the bumper on Brett (Coons) but I let him have the opportunity to retake the lead if he could”. When asked about the class of cars, Salatino related that he hoped that John White would add them to the new event added to the schedule on September 10.

SPENCER NOTES: Tyler Shove cashed her Street Stock in pre-race practice, ending her night…Also suffering a pre-race hot lap accident was Beth Dennie, attempting to bring her new car up to speed. Dennie returned for the races, but never was able to obtain the speed in her new ride to be competitive….The absence of Street Stock point leader Kris Hillegeer, allowed second place Mitchell Wright to take the point lead in that division.

This Friday, August 20, a complete program of NASCAR Sunoco Modified, Street Stock, Super Six and Auto Value Scorpion are on the race card. Double Points will be on the line for the Auto Value Scorpion division. Race fans from last week can present their ticket stub at the main gate window for a $2 discount on admission. Race time starts at 7:30 p.m. sharp.

Spencer Speedway is located just fifteen minutes east of Rochester , NY , along Route 104 in the Town of Williamson . Spencer Speedway is the local “ NASCAR Place to Race” for upstate New York . Points earned each week at Spencer are counted into the national NASCAR Whelen All-American Series championship. There are only four weeks remaining in the 2010 oval track season.

WHELEN ENGINEERING NIGHT SUMMARY

AUTO VALUE SCORPIONS
HEAT 1: O. Bradshaw, M. Bradshaw, R. Peets, D. Lazzaro, J. Clark.
HEAT 2: A. Knoepfler, Z. Willis, B. Bradshaw, K. Bertolone, D. Bradshaw.
FEATURE (15-laps): OTIS BRADSHAW, Alison Knoepfler, Bro Bradshaw, Russell Peets, Mike Bradshaw, Dale Lazzaro, Dave Bradshaw, Kevin Bertolone, Joe Cook, Victor Cordova, Andrea LaManna, Beth Dennie, Zach Willis. (Lap Leaders: Allison Knoepfler-1 lap, Bro Bradshaw- 2 Laps, Otis Bradshaw- 12 laps)

LEGEND CARS
HEAT 1: Z. Treusdail, J. Vernon, Brett Coon, B. Salatino.
HEAT 2: J. Decker, B. DeBrakeleer, C. Newman, C. Spaker.
FEATURE (20-laps): BRAD SALATINO, Brett Coon, Jeff Decker, Brandon DeBrakeleer, Charlie Newman, Chris Spaker, Jake Vernon, Zach Treusdail. (Lap leaders: Charlie Newman - 1 lap, Zach Treusdail- 7 laps, Brett Coon- 10, Brad Salatino- 2 laps)

SUPER SIXES
HEAT 1: P. Davenport, S. Powers, P. Cowell, B. Hallett, J. Steingraber.
HEAT 2: V. Grant, J. Bailey, T. Faro, B. Malin, D. Coyle.
FEATURE (20-laps): SKIP POWERS, Van Grant, Patti Davenport, Brian Hallett, Peter Cowell, Tim Faro, Joe Bailey, Jim Steingraber, Adam VanHall, Denny Coyle, Bill Malin. (Lap leaders: Joe Bailey - 1 lap, Skip Powers- 19 laps)

STREET STOCKS
HEAT: W. Strusz, J. Steffehagen Jr., M. Wright, R. Worden, D. Scott
FEATURE (20-laps): WILLIE STRUSZ, Mitchell Wright, Roger Worden, Dan Scott, DNS-Tyler Shove, Jim Steffenhagen Jr., Brandon Larner. (Lap leaders: Willie Strusz- 20 laps)

NASCAR SUNOCO MODIFIEDS
HEAT 1: A. Catalano, T. Cheetham, T. Hanbury, K. Timmerman, M. Cline.
HEAT 2: M. Lees, D. Lewis Jr., R. Beeman, C. Finocchario, T. Bradshaw.
FEATURE (35-laps): KEVIN TIMMERMAN, Tony Hanbury, Ryan Beeman, Daryl Lewis Jr., Matt Lees, Ed die Hawkins, Terry Cheetham, Bobby Lippa Jr., Mark Cline, Zach Truesdail, Jake Boerman, Scott Combs, Chris Finocchario, Amy Catalano, Toad Bradshaw, DNS-Dave Sedlack. (Lap leaders: Matt Lees-2 laps, Daryl Lewis Jr.- 4 laps, Kevin Timmerman- 29 laps)

Gary M. Spaid