PDA

View Full Version : Iowa in 2011??

BigMac
08-19-2010, 04:59 PM
Rusty Wallace today talking about Iowa Speedway in 2011:

Wallace said he hopes the first Nationwide race of 2011 at Newton can be paired with a NASCAR Whelan Modified Tour event, and the later Nationwide race weekend would be coupled with the K&N Pro Series East/West combination event. He acknowledged concerns that the track may be reaching a saturation point in terms of attendance, but remains confident of the fan base's ability to add another sellout to the previous ones. "We've just got to try it," Wallace said. "It's worked so far. It's all about making sure the people from Iowa support these events. Get the right pricing for them - we're conscious of all of that." In addition to the two Nationwide races, the NASCAR Truck series will return to Iowa Speedway on July 16. The date for an IndyCar race in Newton, typically held in June, has not yet been announced.

iamaranger
08-19-2010, 05:29 PM
how big is the track

Jaws
08-19-2010, 05:39 PM
7/8th mile

Nice looking facility. Its so far from the NE, better have a big purse.

http://www.iowaspeedway.com/

The other dates they are talking about are May 22nd or August 6th.

Not sure how that would fit into the current schedule with the NH changes.

CTtoPA
08-19-2010, 06:21 PM
7/8 and fast. Would they really drag all these teams to Iowa? Not to be negative but that's a lot for teams whose crew members are all part-time. How many week-long vacations are they expected to take?

Jaws
08-19-2010, 06:27 PM
The dates are all Saturdays I believe.

BigMac
08-19-2010, 06:37 PM
I would rather see a second Bristol or a Richmond myself. Iowa is a long way away. It is nice though to see the mods getting consideration at some high profile tracks.

limodmaniac
08-19-2010, 09:48 PM
give the mods a million dollar point fund and that would make it all possible.

Goldy
08-20-2010, 10:04 AM
Sorry, but... Where the hell is IOWA? 1000 plus miles away?

This makes about as much sense as:

Holding the Banquet down south..
Spending 3 days in NH for an event that should take 1 day…
…. 2 day shows that should / could be run in 1 day
9:40PM feature start times
Sub 80k purses
Hanging the tour out to dry at Martinsville
Bristol on a Wed
Thompson admission pricing
14 race schedules
…and so on…

Have some regard for owners, drivers & crew that already loose money competing on this tour.

Looking for another venue? Someone really needs to beat Richmond back into the upper brass decision making thought process. Much like at NHIS, the Mods would put on a better show there than “the big 3” – I suppose that might be a concern..

IOWA... smoke another one...

CTtoPA
08-20-2010, 12:11 PM
Sorry, but... Where the hell is IOWA? 1000 plus miles away?

This makes about as much sense as:

Holding the Banquet down south..
Spending 3 days in NH for an event that should take 1 day…
…. 2 day shows that should / could be run in 1 day
9:40PM feature start times
Sub 80k purses
Hanging the tour out to dry at Martinsville
Bristol on a Wed
Thompson admission pricing
14 race schedules
…and so on…

Have some regard for owners, drivers & crew that already loose money competing on this tour.

Looking for another venue? Someone really needs to beat Richmond back into the upper brass decision making thought process. Much like at NHIS, the Mods would put on a better show there than “the big 3” – I suppose that might be a concern..

IOWA... smoke another one...

THANK YOU. :applause:

BChat
08-20-2010, 12:23 PM
Not sure I'd put this on the Well Thought Out list either.

limodmaniac
08-20-2010, 01:22 PM
Listened to a guy from the Iowa speedway talking up his track on Sirius radio as I drove to Bristol. He talked about every type of car that was racing there in 2011 ( yes even that K and N series that Nascar feels deserves a million dollar point fund) and there was NEVER any mention of the modifieds.

NWMT PR
08-27-2010, 04:12 PM
Iowa Speedway's 2011 schedule came out yesterday, and the NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour is not on it. SCHEDULE (http://www.iowaspeedway.com/aspx/AboutSpeedway/News.aspx?id=636)

For the record, it is a first class facility, definitely one of the best I've been too. They have good fan support out there as well. The K&N East-West races have consistently drawn around 20,000.