PDA

View Full Version : Don talking about bringing back the 300????

MJProcko
08-21-2010, 04:50 PM
The article starts with talk about the mini stock brawl but gets interesting when talk of the 300 comes up.

http://www.norwichbulletin.com/sports/motorsports/x1024315734/Auto-Racing-Decision-pending-after-fight-at-Thompson-Speedway

limodmaniac
08-21-2010, 11:09 PM
Bring it back. Since NHMS is pushing the September race back a week seems like the perfect time.

wmass01013
08-21-2010, 11:25 PM
I know Hoenig is stuck on his TRADITIONAL DATES but again having the 300 the week after Labor Day which is now opening of NFL is suicide. Even a few weeks later or earlier is much better, and whats the big deal with other races for pole and outside pole, they dont really mean that much for a 300 lap race to start first and second that guys will fight for a race win to get to start 1st in a 300 lap race,this is 2010 Don, MONEY will make guys fight for a win, now heat races to set the field instead of time trials i will never argue with.

RaceVoice
08-22-2010, 07:56 AM
You're right. In a 300 lap race it doesn't mean much. But, there were always qualifiers for the pole and the outside pole, which helped draw interest to the other races as well. I can remember Richie winning both qualifiers, meaning he could choose the pole or outside pole. The 300 has a rich tradition. That went away with the changes he made, time trial qualifying, and a points race for NASCAR. If he brings it back, I think he would be better running it as a non points race. Qualifiers at Monadnock, Chemung, Spencer, Riverhead and other tracks that race them weekly. $20,000 to win, with a great purse behind it. A show like that, and I think the fans will come, regardless of the weekend it is run.

fisherman
08-22-2010, 10:07 AM
have to agree you bring it back the fans will comeeeeeeeeeeee:wave::wave:

fisherman
08-22-2010, 10:09 AM
also put a 100 lap open comp street stock race with it:):wave::wave::p:p:cool:

ModTourMan
08-22-2010, 11:08 AM
"Speedway owner Don Hoenig last week said he talked to NASCAR about bringing back the 300, but he only wanted to do so if he could also bring back the outside pole qualifier, and make the Budweiser 150 the pole qualifier. He also wanted to have three qualifying races to set the 300 field rather than time trials, and pay bonus money for leading laps such as the 100th and 150th".

The idea about having qualifying races excites me the most...I hope it pans out.
In my opinion, this would attract a larger and more diverse field of Modifieds...kinda like a smaller version of the old Race of Champions format where the little guy felt he had a chance to race into a field full of top Mod Tour teams. I know many fans found the 300 a bit much - especially in the heat of late summer - but I really miss the long grind and the unique strategy needed for a race this long. One more wish...NO HALFWAY BREAK! Just run 300 laps straight like the old days!