Magicshoes12
09-13-2010, 09:30 AM
Who is going? I'll be there with a group of like 8 people

mattphoto
09-13-2010, 10:13 AM
I will be there should be a fanastic race

CuriousGeorge
09-13-2010, 12:50 PM
Just out of curiousity, If I took the 7:00 am ferry from Orient to New London on Saturday, do you think it's possible to make it to NHMS before the 1:00 start for the Mod race?

Howie
09-13-2010, 02:12 PM
The 7 o'clock should put you in NL about 8:20-8:30. I live near Hartford and it takes me 2 1/2 hours or so to Loudon. NL to NHMS is probably a little longer, 3 hrs or so. So I would say yes you can easily make it. Depending on traffic and parking, (and walking from the parking lot) maybe with not an awful lot of time to spare. Hopefully one of the Islanders that does the trip will answer with a better idea of the possibility of making it.

limodmaniac
09-13-2010, 05:01 PM
You can definitely do it, but if you hit a traffic jam, you will be in a real bad situation. One year, I sat on 290, trying to get on 495 for over an hour.

Another time ( and this is a long time ago) I tried to do that 7 AM ferry to catch an Indy race at Louden, traffic wasn't a problem until I hit Loudon and route 106. I sat on 106 for over an hour and by time I got there the race was 50 laps old.

I usually take the ferry Friday night. You can find cheap motels in the New London/ Groton area. Then you can get going a little earlier Saturday morning. I try to be on my way by 7 - That way you don't feel as rushed.

That being said, I usually leave right after the mods and try to head back to Waterford for a double header. This year, I'm heading to Lancaster to watch the mods there on Sunday.

SUfan
09-13-2010, 05:55 PM
Just out of curiousity, If I took the 7:00 am ferry from Orient to New London on Saturday, do you think it's possible to make it to NHMS before the 1:00 start for the Mod race?

Keep in mind that the race is scheduled to start at 12:45, not 1:00 PM. The weather just said a washout for Friday, so who knows how the schedule might change if that happens. I suspect the morning Modified practice will be canceled to allow the K&N race to start early in the morning Saturday? That would be a bummer. I love the early morning practice for the Mods, and it helps teams fine-tune to make the race better.

CuriousGeorge
09-13-2010, 06:50 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Probably wont attempt to go but I'll keep my fingers crossed for good weather for the rest of you.

wmass01013
09-13-2010, 06:54 PM
[QUOTE=limodmaniac;157662]You can definitely do it, but if you hit a traffic jam, you will be in a real bad situation. One year, I sat on 290, trying to get on 495 for over an hour.

easier way to go instead of 290 and 495 is up interstate 91 in mass into Vermont, then take route 9 to concord, much less traffic and a nice scenic ride

Chris
09-13-2010, 07:37 PM
I'm IN . Will be there with my buddy.

Analyst
09-14-2010, 03:25 AM
You can definitely do it, but if you hit a traffic jam, you will be in a real bad situation. One year, I sat on 290, trying to get on 495 for over an hour.

If you want to avoid the I-290 variability you can take the Mass Pike (I-90) east for three exits to get to I-495. It is only five miles longer--it looks like an optical illusion on the map... Yes there is a small toll, but you avoid Worcester and any potential problems with I-290.

For the record, from the New London-Orient Point Ferry terminal it is 177.6 miles and an estimated 2h 46m to NHIS. Using the Mass Pike it is 182.6 and 2h 50m

I usually take the ferry Friday night. You can find cheap motels in the New London/ Groton area. Then you can get going a little earlier Saturday morning. I try to be on my way by 7 - That way you don't feel as rushed.

If you take this route and want to operate on a budget, there is a decent Motel 6 off of exit 75 on I-95--go 5-6 miles south on 95 on it a mile or so from the ferry. And like limodmaniac says, hotels in this area are aplenty and if you get shut out you can always find a place to sleep at the Mohegan Sun... LOL!

I will also vouch for the breakfast (lunch and dinner too!) served at Zip's Diner right off exit 93 on I-395. Northbound, take a right of the exit, through the light and it is immediately on your right. It is about 40 miles from the ferry terminal. Zip's is tough to beat--the place is clean, the food is great, the cost reasonable, and the service is fast!

Have a great trip!

Magicshoes12
09-14-2010, 07:01 AM
I will also vouch for the breakfast (lunch and dinner too!) served at Zip's Diner right off exit 93 on I-395. Northbound, take a right of the exit, through the light and it is immediately on your right. It is about 40 miles from the ferry terminal. Zip's is tough to beat--the place is clean, the food is great, the cost reasonable, and the service is fast!

Have a great trip!

I can say I agree. I grew up in Danielson, CT and went to Killingly High School. We use to skip out on Study Hall a lot when we had it for long period (2nd Period) of the day and go to breakfast at Zips!! Nice old Diner!! There is also George's Galley off of exit 92 that is really good!

MOD11RACER
09-14-2010, 11:25 AM
Keep in mind that the race is scheduled to start at 12:45, not 1:00 PM. The weather just said a washout for Friday, so who knows how the schedule might change if that happens. I suspect the morning Modified practice will be canceled to allow the K&N race to start early in the morning Saturday? That would be a bummer. I love the early morning practice for the Mods, and it helps teams fine-tune to make the race better.

No way they run that junk on Saturday. They would have to skip one of the hour long great Cup ride around practices. The world would have to end first. They have plenty of time to run it on Sunday morning or on Monday. LOL

The Modifieds have only a 20 minute practice on Saturday instead of 50 minutes because of the full fendered ACT Tour crap. Looking @ the schedule it doesn't look like their is any time to run the full fendered K&N East crap on Saturday.

Loudon Schedule

Thursday, September 16, 2010 – “FanFest”
9:00 a.m. Speedway Spectator Gates Open
11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. NASCAR K&N Pro Series East Practice
1:15 p.m. - 2:45 p.m. NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour Practice
3:15 p.m. NASCAR K&N Pro Series East Qualifying for the
New Hampshire 125 (2 Laps, All Positions - IMPOUND)
4:45 p.m. NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour Qualifying for the
New Hampshire 100 (2 Laps, All Positions)
7:00 p.m. “FanFest” & NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Hauler Parade

Friday, September 17, 2010 – “FansFirst Pole Day”
8:00 a.m. Speedway Spectator Gates Open
10:00 a.m. - 11:20 a.m. NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Practice
11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Practice
1:15 p.m. - 2:30 p.m. NASCAR Camping World Truck Series Final Practice
3:10 p.m. NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Qualifying for the
SYLVANIA 300 (2 Laps, All Positions)
4:40 p.m. NASCAR K&N Pro Series East
Driver Introductions for the New Hampshire 125
5:00 p.m. NASCAR K&N Pro Series East
New Hampshire 125 (125 Laps, 132.25 Miles)

Saturday, September 18, 2010
7:00 a.m. Speedway Spectator Gates Open
8:00 a.m. - 8:20 a.m. American-Canadian Tour Final Practice
8:30 a.m. - 8:50 a.m. NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour Final Practice
9:00 a.m. - 9:50 a.m. NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Practice
10:05 a.m. NASCAR NASCAR Camping World Truck Qualifying for the
New Hampshire 175 (2 Laps, All Positions - IMPOUND)
11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Final Practice
12:35 p.m. NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour
Driver Introductions for the New England 100
12:45 p.m. NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour
New England 100 (100 Laps, 105.8 Miles)
2:30 p.m. NASCAR Camping World Truck Series
Driver Introductions for the New Hampshire 175
3:00 p.m. NASCAR Camping World Truck Series
New Hampshire 175 (175 Laps, 185.15 Miles)
5:30 p.m. American-Canadian Tour Driver Introductions for The ACT Invitational
5:45 p.m. American-Canadian Tour
The ACT Invitational (50 Laps, 52.9 Miles)

Sunday, September 19, 2010
7:00 a.m. Speedway Spectator Gates Open
11:20 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. Pre-Race Concert
12:30 p.m. NASCAR Sprint Cup Series
Driver Introductions for the SYLVANIA 300
1:00 p.m. NASCAR Sprint Cup Series
SYLVANIA 300 (300 Laps, 317.4 Miles)
Tentative schedule

Magicshoes12
09-14-2010, 12:51 PM
All i see for friday is a chance of showers at 30%, who knows it could even come thursday night and be fine for friday. but if it gets cancelled oh well and who cares. I'm only interested in the modifieds!! LOL

NWMT PR
09-14-2010, 02:50 PM
All i see for friday is a chance of showers at 30%, who knows it could even come thursday night and be fine for friday. but if it gets cancelled oh well and who cares. I'm only interested in the modifieds!! LOL

Local weather reports are projecting rain late Thursday into early Friday morning, as of today. If that holds, the schedule would be ok.

SUfan
09-15-2010, 05:22 AM
Per this mornings local forecast...the weather forecast is much better than earlier in the week. If it holds true, there would be no issues at all. The rain is supposed to start around dark on Thursday (after time trials), with the sun returning on Friday morning. This change also makes Saturday a little warmer- mid-70s, with the high pressure building in sooner. Perfect weather for a perfect day of racing. Mod11racer, like it or not, the ACT race was pretty good last year and they do bring in more fans.

ToolMakerM
09-15-2010, 12:20 PM
I have the best way to get into the track quickly I take my motercycle you can't beat the parking, I walk maybe 500 ft. to gate !

CynthiaTork
09-15-2010, 12:37 PM
I can not tell a lie. I'm arriving 30 minutes before the modified race starts and will be halfway home before the trucks get the initial green flag

Jaws
09-15-2010, 12:42 PM
I'm in, I am driving from LI leaving at 5:30 or 6:00AM. Even stopping for food and gas should be there by 10:00-10:30.

Or maybe getting there another way which is so much better if I am lucky, :)

I will be listening to the truck tace on MRN on the way home (or Waterford )

MOD11RACER
09-15-2010, 02:50 PM
Per this mornings local forecast...the weather forecast is much better than earlier in the week. If it holds true, there would be no issues at all. The rain is supposed to start around dark on Thursday (after time trials), with the sun returning on Friday morning. This change also makes Saturday a little warmer- mid-70s, with the high pressure building in sooner. Perfect weather for a perfect day of racing. Mod11racer, like it or not, the ACT race was pretty good last year and they do bring in more fans.

I'am surprised that SUfan would like to watch a race that features cars with no horsepower. Then agian it can't be any worse then the show that the big horsepower machines put on (boring) @ Stafford last week.

I don't care how many fans they bring in you couldn't pay me to watch them. I would rather watch Street Stocks @ a local track. Come to think of it after the Modified race I will be watching SS @ Waterford later in the day.

limodmaniac
09-15-2010, 04:14 PM
Will the Mod11Racer please call me. I can't get in touch with you though I have tried and tried and tried.

BigMac
09-15-2010, 05:51 PM
Once you hit northern MA tune into 100.3 WHEB. The crew over there will be broadcasting from the track all weekend. They interview everyone and anyone. Cup drivers, mod drivers, tire changers, TV people. You never know who will end up on the air with them. They got Bruton to come on last race weekend. Its usually pretty good entertainment.

mod4r6fan
09-16-2010, 05:18 PM
i will be there friday nite turn 1 about 12 noon sat have on my 3 beers shirt say hi to me

limodmaniac
09-16-2010, 05:24 PM
I am slowly starting to think that Ryan Newman is not good for the modified division. Is he that much better a driver or is that as legal as it should be? And if it's the kind of motor he has, what does he have , and should that be legal? Or will we soon have everyone going out and buying one?

Jaws
09-16-2010, 06:12 PM
I am slowly starting to think that Ryan Newman is not good for the modified division. Is he that much better a driver or is that as legal as it should be? And if it's the kind of motor he has, what does he have , and should that be legal? Or will we soon have everyone going out and buying one?

I have been starting to feel the same way, having Ryan in the field is one thing but coming to the 3 biggest paying races for the division and (potentially)winning the 3 biggest winners purses is not good for the other teams

BigMac
09-16-2010, 06:19 PM
I haven't heard any drivers crying. TC was all over his tail in June. Stefanik was all over him at Bristol. If the drivers don't like it they should do something about it, like beating him to the finish.

Jaws
09-16-2010, 06:30 PM
[QUOTE=BigMac;157830]I haven't heard any drivers crying. TC was all over his tail in June. Stefanik was all over him at Bristol. If the drivers don't like it they should do something about it, like beating him to the finish.[/QUOTE

Its only 2 wins, but if he keeps winning that will change fast. Don't get me wrong I love to see the #7 out there, its a great tribute to Tom Baldwin.

BigMac
09-16-2010, 07:17 PM
As good as Newman has been this year he was equally as unlucky last year. The modifieds haven't been a cake walk for him. I know people are getting a little worked up but the races he has won have been great races with great finishes. Thats what I pay to see. TC has won a ton more races up there and people are sick of him winning too. The 4 has won a bunch as well with different drivers. Let's face it, there are probably only 10 cars capable of winning on Saturday. Chances are Newman and TC will be in the mix on lap 100.

Only 35 cars? Ouch!

Jaws
09-16-2010, 07:50 PM
As good as Newman has been this year he was equally as unlucky last year. The modifieds haven't been a cake walk for him. I know people are getting a little worked up but the races he has won have been great races with great finishes. Thats what I pay to see. TC has won a ton more races up there and people are sick of him winning too. The 4 has won a bunch as well with different drivers. Let's face it, there are probably only 10 cars capable of winning on Saturday. Chances are Newman and TC will be in the mix on lap 100.

Only 35 cars? Ouch!

I agree, I know 35 cars. Nascar really needs to look at the rules for next year to allow more cars to participate.

RGeeProductions
09-16-2010, 07:55 PM

I think Ryan Newman is great for the Whelen Tour. All weekend, in interviews, this will be mentioned and great PR on TV, radio, newscasts promoting the Whelen Tour (all to those that only follow Cup). He loves driving a modified!
As for driving (he CAN drive) or motor (should that be legal?????????, HUH - he didn't get teched?????), the tour boys (& girl) gotta step up! It is only 2 to 3 races they must worry about this!
I would be into thinking non-perimeter chassis' on road courses more of a worry then Ryan hurting things!

JED
09-16-2010, 11:48 PM
Check out the post qualifying Press Conference audio from NASCAR. Great interaction between Newman, Szegedy and Preece.
Preece challenges Newman to run the World Series.

http://americaneg.vo.llnwd.net/o16/nascar/2010/2010hometracks/nwmt/new_hampshire_91810/2010_nwmt_new_hampshire_2_qualifying_top_three.MP3

Magicshoes12
09-17-2010, 07:08 AM
Here is the video for it

http://www.nhms.com/handler.cfm/template,video/cat_id,43305?med_id=1407049

Like Preece said, it would be interesting to see them bring it to Thompson or Stafford or something!!! Having Newman there is fair a square. He just pushes everyone else to race harder. Sure they might have more resources, but when it comes down to it, You still have to drive the car and win the race. And anything can happen in the race!

hollywoodmic
09-17-2010, 10:33 AM
Ryan Newman, Bono and Gary Putnam are nothing but assests to this Tour. How can you think they are ruining this tour?? To be the best you have to beat the best. They have their program together and are with in the rules. This Tour never gets the press, media attention and TV coverage that it does, without Ryan in the field. I love that they honor Tom Baldwin everytime they race as well. I would love to see them run at Thompson. Bono and the Sheba boys were pretty good there as well for a while. I say good luck to everyone let's have another great race at NH.

Magicshoes12
09-17-2010, 09:18 PM
Preece challenged Newman to come to thompson with that car. I know its probably a long shot. But it is a possibility. The cup race that weekend is at Charlotte and on a Saturday Night the 16th. If someone else qualified the car it could be in the show. The only downside would be Newman wouldn't have any time for practice and would just have to show up and race on Sunday. It just would be pretty cool to see it happen in my eyes!

Racerjoe
09-19-2010, 02:25 PM
Newman, again was asked about the Thompson race and challenge during winners interview, and again said " I dont know did Ryan come up with the 1/2 the jet fuel money"... Here is the chance for the Thompson management staff to talk with Ryan Preece.. give him the money to offer Newman or Hell offer to pay the whole bill... Would be a great P.R. move. Then see what response the 7 car and Newman have.

Sicklajoie
09-19-2010, 04:01 PM
Newman, again was asked about the Thompson race and challenge during winners interview, and again said " I dont know did Ryan come up with the 1/2 the jet fuel money"... Here is the chance for the Thompson management staff to talk with Ryan Preece.. give him the money to offer Newman or Hell offer to pay the whole bill... Would be a great P.R. move. Then see what response the 7 car and Newman have.
LMAO if Thompson did that then the grandstand admission would be $75 and the pit entrance would be $100.

Magicshoes12
09-20-2010, 07:14 AM
LMAO if Thompson did that then the grandstand admission would be $75 and the pit entrance would be $100.

whats an extra $25...LOL....I'm more interested in seeing Steffy winning his 8th Championship and I'll pay an extra $25 for that! And personally....Newman and Bono and Stewart-Haas racing has plenty of money to do it. Pocket change to them

SUfan
09-22-2010, 08:39 PM
Bono is trying to put together one more race for the 7NY Modified this season. Find out where that is in this week's issue of Area Auto Racing News.

Jaws
09-22-2010, 09:57 PM
Looks like you will all get your wish at Thompson. That will be the real test at a track he has never seen.

Magicshoes12
09-23-2010, 07:14 AM
Looks like you will all get your wish at Thompson. That will be the real test at a track he has never seen.

Gonna be AWESOME!!! If it happens!!!

RacnJason00
09-23-2010, 08:37 AM
Here is the video for it

http://www.nhms.com/handler.cfm/template,video/cat_id,43305?med_id=1407049

Like Preece said, it would be interesting to see them bring it to Thompson or Stafford or something!!! Having Newman there is fair a square. He just pushes everyone else to race harder. Sure they might have more resources, but when it comes down to it, You still have to drive the car and win the race. And anything can happen in the race!

Newman is most cleanest CUP Driver to race in any Series, he is smooth and doesn't beat and bang and push his CUP Weight around.... I have seen him in the Mods and Midgets and very good driver, than on the other hand, I have seen Kurt, Kyle Busch Kevin Harvick and many others race late models and bulldoze there way through everyone