PDA

View Full Version : 10/05/10 - Pearl, Ceravolo and Reynolds give Modified Nationals an ‘old school’ flavo

RGeeProductions
10-05-2010, 11:45 PM
Trio was part of the first Modified Nationals event in 1997

The Modified Nationals event and its hefty payday went from concept to reality back in 1997. This coming weekend marks the 14th running of the $5,000 to win blockbuster 150-lap race. Few drivers have remained active in weekly competition over the years. Jeff Pearl, Todd Ceravolo and Tucker Reynolds Jr. all share taking part in the inaugural running and each looks forward to this year’s edition just as much as they did the first.

The three were dubbed part of the Speedbowl “youth movement” as hungry young second-generation racers back in 1997. Their careers blossomed that season, each using a torrid battle for the championship to springboard their accomplished careers. Ceravolo wound up the champion that season over Reynolds and Pearl. A year later in 1998 it was Pearl’s turn to take the points title. Reynolds was consistently in the mix over the following seasons until he took a hiatus from racing in 2002. They own over 70 victories in the SK division at the Speedbowl between them.

Pearl’s remained a steady Speedbowl threat since, including this past Saturday night when he recorded his 34th career win at the track. He won the 2007 Budweiser Modified Nationals, the only of the three to claim victory in the track’s biggest event. He’s ready to add to his win total and become only the third driver to own repeat wins in the race. “I think we’ve got as good a shot to win as we’ve ever had” Pearl offered in his usual calm demeanor. His race strategy is that of a seasoned racer – “Letting things unfold and go from there. We came from dead last to finish third behind two fast guys in the (60-lap) opener, so we’ll see how it goes.”

Ceravolo and Reynolds have missed several years, but both are eager to take a piece of Speedbowl history – and the cash. They both own plenty of extra-distance experience and wins in their Speedbowl careers, too.

Ceravolo returned to regular weekly competition at the Speedbowl in 2010 and endured perhaps the wildest season of his career. He ended up claiming two victories the second half of the year, but consistently had one of the fastest cars on the track only to be sidelined by mechanical failure or wrecks. Winning is clearly on his mind. “I’ll drive as hard as I have to early. I want to be out front and see that checkered flag. The only car I’m worried about is Keith (Rocco)”.

Reynolds also returned to regular competition halfway into the season behind the wheel of the Verno #25. For Reynolds, being away for several years doesn’t phase him. “We’ve always been good in long races, and I love time trial events. We’re getting this car more and more dialed in every week.” His best effort in the Nationals came during the inaugural event when he placed third. “We were so good in that (first) race. We had to pit and come back through the field and ran out of time. I’d love to grab a win in this race especially because we were so close before.”

These former young-guns admittedly define themselves as elder statesman of the division now. Each of them is ready to remind the competition of that title come race day should the opportunity arise.

The 14th annual Budweiser Modified Nationals takes place October 8-10 boasting a purse of over $20,000. Practice on Friday leads into qualifying on Saturday by way of time trials for the top-20 with the fast qualifier earning a $500 bonus. A consolation race rounds out the 26-starters for Sunday’s 150-lap event. For more information please visit Speedbowl.com (http://www.speedbowl.com).

Waterford Speedbowl