PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated with the modified community

dbucs1
11-07-2010, 11:04 AM
First I would like to thank everyone at c&c fans and the great drivers that did come it was a great show as usual. My gripe is with the over 60 tour mods and 50 sks that did not show up. I know the first excuse it's the economy well if thats the case why were there 182 dirt cars at lowes this weekend.They had around 60 dirt mods all from the north east.They had 76 dirt late models that came from everywhere from kansas to ohio. Most not even making the show and losing money. Here we have the biggest mod race of the year that pays not that bad to win not great but not bad and only get 32 mods. I know the other excuse I dont want to tear my stuff up, if you go into racing with that mentality then go sell your stuff I am sorry that is not what racers are about.This community needs to get there act together or you never know might not have a northsouthshootout. Hope that does not happen we have the best drivers best cars around just need to change the mindset with some. Sorry to gripe but just need to get that of my chest,I did not mean to upset people just want our sport to be the best it can be.

grinch
11-07-2010, 01:41 PM
How can you compare the two.....they are not even close. At the Lowes race they had everything........major sponsors......television...sold out stands....near 200 cars....things race fans want to see......fast cars.....out of control cars....mishaps.....flips.......about every name dirt driver in the country. From the pics i saw from the north/south race the crowd size was bare.......no crowds ,no purse.....All those dirt cars that came were looking for that good finish and getting paid for it........i have not seen a purse breakdown for the N/S show but i`d bet you need to win or finish top 3 to break even.........all this has little to do with the mod teams.....they are doing the best they can but facts are facts.....i have to point out tho that you have some real strong organizations running the WOO and the NY dirt series......it has always made me wonder how they can make those payoffs and NASCAR cant!!.........

CynthiaTork
11-07-2010, 02:24 PM
I agree with the Grinch, not to mention at this point of the year, equipment, budgets and crews are pretty worn out

Modifiedthunder
11-07-2010, 02:51 PM
Dubs1 yes there was only 32 Modifieds at the NSS but did you look at the strong field of drivers that were there, I would rather see a field like this then have a field of 60 cars with some drivers just in the way!!!

grinch
11-07-2010, 03:35 PM
this doesn`t really help solve the question of why teams do not go but if you have 60 some odd cars there for a 30 car field ....as they say..the cream rises to the top....you would eliminate the teams that in some eyes do not belong out there.....big purses attract more teams...more teams more people in the pits where the promotor can remove your wallet....you may sense a little anger in my idea of what they should be charging for pit passes

RGeeProductions
11-07-2010, 03:48 PM
I know of one team the didn't go to NSS and it was because of the cost, travel, time vs what you get back out of it.

uticamike
11-07-2010, 06:08 PM
".....out of control cars....mishaps.....flips." grinch, too bad you weren't at Concord.

Steve Reed did his best in the SK race to "entertain" folks like you that crave that

kind of action. I'm sure you like Sprint cars, are you disappointed when you go to a

race and there are no flips? Luckily, asphalt cars are not prone to doing headers

(than God). As to the point of this thread, I'd love to see a comparision of the tire

bills between a dirt and asphalt team for a year. I gotta believe that one thing is

a big reason for the "low" turn out at the Shootout. True enough the asphalt game

lack some big dollar sponcers and that hurts as well. Considering the distance most

of those teams traveled, that car count wasn't all that bad. The quality of the

racing is what really matters anyways.

Rentawrench
11-07-2010, 07:51 PM
The DIRT race was their Final POINTS race, chance to be on LIVE TV.

You Do Not need a Large pit crew at DIRT shows, Some of us WORK for a living an cannot get time off for a WEEK long trip.

The Fans need to understand Car owners an Not All Millionares.

Now some of the Fans have Helped out Teams/ drivers an know what I mean.

( That means LI Mod Manic, Thank you for the Best race I've had a NHMS in July )

JMB
11-08-2010, 09:35 AM
Dubs1 yes there was only 32 Modifieds at the NSS but did you look at the strong field of drivers that were there, I would rather see a field like this then have a field of 60 cars with some drivers just in the way!!!

There were some name drivers in each of the dirt divisions who did not even qualify for the feature.

dbucs1
11-08-2010, 07:10 PM
My frustrations were not just against northern teams its against the southern teams. We had one southern driver with a sk and tour guarantee starting starting spot not show up. Its sad we have around 30 to 40 mods down south and 6 show up. People complain about purses why if I am a race track down south am I going to stick my neck out if only 6 mods show up for what is billed the biggest mod race of the year in the south back yard. If the mods have become to exspensive then maby its time for the mod community to have a nice town hall meeting to find ways to cut cost. We need people to start thinking whats best for the sport.

EdR
11-08-2010, 09:15 PM
I can't say why a race team wouldn't show up for a big show. I'm still wondering the same thing about the Frostbite from earlier this year. not sure how the crowd was ,I have seen some pictures didn't look real good.I did watch the dirt show on TV I know were they went instead of concord. both shows were out of my budget. either one ,myself and 3 younger boys I was looking at $90.00 for tickets. Well maybe Dirt track next year .
think the Dirt show was more popular because they had all 3 major dirt series in 1 spot for there Championship races.

Ed

MJProcko
11-09-2010, 12:23 AM
I said this last year, having the N/S shootout go against the dirt track at Charlotte 15 minutes away can't be good. You have the final points race for the top 3 dirt series in America on live TV with a bunch of sponsors and the power of Bruton Smith helping out.

As for the modifieds represented, there was quality about a dozen from the WMT - all the top WSMT cars minus LW and a decent representation from the NY/NJ/PA circut and you had Les Hinkley from the MRS. You can say the SK contingent was light but heck, these aren't touring cars, but you did have the track champs from atleast 3 tracks.

The CC guys put on a good show but I would really think about moving the weekend. Although as a race fan you can't go wrong having both races so close to each other - just expensive.

CTtoPA
11-11-2010, 08:14 AM
The WoO gets $10k to win for most one-day shows. They have the King's Royal, Gold Cup, and National Open pay $50k to the winner. Meanwhile, NASCAR continues to dump on the modifieds and the owners/drivers continue to tolerate it. It's not the teams' fault for not going to the shootout, it's their fault for supporting any race on the NASCAR schedule.

grinch
11-11-2010, 10:49 AM
The WoO gets $10k to win for most one-day shows. They have the King's Royal, Gold Cup, and National Open pay $50k to the winner. Meanwhile, NASCAR continues to dump on the modifieds and the owners/drivers continue to tolerate it. It's not the teams' fault for not going to the shootout, it's their fault for supporting any race on the NASCAR schedule.

Do they ever have a face to face meeting? Or do they have reps that state their concerns? Are the nascar contingency programs worth what they say they are? Some never get awarded and their monetary value is added into the purse many times. Love to see the breakdown of Whelens money....Does it really reach the ones that need it?.....a lot of question marks in this post and this post really reaches out to many other touring divisions.

MOD11RACER
11-11-2010, 11:27 AM
The N/S Shootout has nothing to do with NASCAR or the Whelen Modified Tour. It's an open show. If you are going to run a two day open show and want a lot of Modifieds to show up then pay them. $25,000 to win and $2,500 to start then they will show up. Another problem is the track it eats up race cars a lot of wrecks.

Everybody dumps on the WMT and NASCAR and they are not perfect and I'm not here to stick up for NASCAR they have plenty of problems and could pay a lot more money than they do, but it's the best we have in purse money and point fund payout. On the WMT it's all about the point fund that's what the teams race for the year end payout. The other Modified Tours aren't even in the same ballpark with the purse and point fund payout never mind an open show that pays about the same purse as a WMT event. If you want Modifieds to come then pay them.

CTtoPA
11-11-2010, 12:11 PM
A lot of question marks? What are you unsure of?

In regards to the N/S shootout, it's an open show and I put in my post that it's not their fault for not showing. Sprint cars have an open show too. But it's in August and it pays $150,000 to the winner.

zombo
11-15-2010, 02:32 PM
it's a vicious circle. want cars? pay a big purse. want a big purse? cars need to show up. promoters don't want to risk that kind of money when asphalt modifieds don't show up in 60+ numbers anymore. it doesn't help that the race is down south. that's not really modified country. look what the southern tour draws for its fields. why would anyone expect a large turnout from southern teams when they don't support their own tour? turkey derby's purse will be close enough to the nss' purse and teams will have a fraction of the towing costs. wall will draw more than 32 tour mods (probably 40 from what i'm hearing) and they'll get 30+ sk cars as well. location helps. there's also some teams up here waiting for the derby instead of the nss because they can't afford to race both and have to choose. that's just the fact of our economic reality right now. when purses are close enough, pick the race with lower costs. the nss is a great race. i hope it sticks around, but maybe it should be one week earlier.