PDA

View Full Version : Turkey derby 2010 fans, drivers?

44YEARWALLMOD
11-09-2010, 08:24 PM
all right were down to the last race of the year this my 37th turkey derby. now you folks on this board hear alot about whats happen. who comin down fans,drivers so far over 122 cars are signed up. this race has not made it all these years with everyone sitting on thier hands. the long island gang were always well repersented. X90 fred harbach was always atop runner at the td. if anyone needs anything on how to get here whats around for lodding just ask. going to islip and freeport years ago the people thier were always kind i dont forget.:cheers:

Magicshoes12
11-10-2010, 07:05 AM
I'll be there

limodmaniac
11-10-2010, 04:25 PM
I'll be there..hoping to drag along mod11racer and i know bobby1717 will be there. Got him hooked on this race a few years back.

Magicshoes12
11-11-2010, 07:19 AM
Cool to see Ryan Truex on the list!

Bobby1717
11-12-2010, 09:49 AM
I will definitely be there. Great track to watch a race. I wonder what drama will unfold this year?

KyleMac45
11-14-2010, 10:51 AM
I will be there...

dbucs1
11-14-2010, 11:27 AM
I will be there coming from nc hope there is a lot of support for this race I bet there will be.

zombo
11-15-2010, 02:38 PM
i'll be there. it's looking like a great race. it's looking like about 40 tour mods and 30-35 sk cars. should be close to 200 cars racing over the 2 days. dirt big blocks should be pretty cool on the asphalt.

KyleMac45
11-15-2010, 03:10 PM
the practice session that took place this weekend was awsome! The dirt cars made some impressive laps around the track, and they should put on one heck of a show!

There were 115 cars this past weekend... I am lookin forward to the race, should be a great weekend!

Hope to see you all there!!!

Kyle McGowan

Asst. Turkey Derby Flagger

44YEARWALLMOD
11-15-2010, 08:52 PM
Kyle sat with boots for many years when jamie ran his 56 sportsmen car. Up top 4th turn with the gang i swear to this day i lost some of my hearing sitting next to her. What great lady and mom cant wait to run into her this year at td. Yes the big block dirt cars did open alot of eyes. Alot of guys getting around real well. I just hope the long island guys come down its a old favorite of mine at the end of the year thier tracks would close then they would come and run wall was some of the best mod racing ive seen here.:)

fastbackss
11-15-2010, 09:59 PM
Boots was there on Saturday for practise.

I always enjoy when she arrives at TD because I know she will be bringing good food :-)

(Oh yeah - I will be there both days)

KH0429
11-16-2010, 12:03 AM
Wish I could make it this year. The money situation holds me back, full time college student, full time job, yet still no money.

Was tons of fun last year, wish I could go again.

zombo
11-16-2010, 02:46 AM
Wish I could make it this year. The money situation holds me back, full time college student, full time job, yet still no money.

Was tons of fun last year, wish I could go again.
****removed due to bad info. there's never not been a friday ticket before.

fastbackss
11-16-2010, 07:59 AM
I don't like that excuse! But having been a poor college student, I can empathise. Where is college? I will kick in a few bucks if you want to make the trip...

-Mike

Jaws
11-16-2010, 08:58 AM
just go on friday, then. i think it's around $15 or thereabouts to get in friday only. you'll at least get to see the dirt mods and maybe practice or time trials for the mods and sk's. better than nothing at all. :)

Sorry a 2 day pass is $36.00 there are no one day tickets. $11.00 for kids.

KH0429
11-16-2010, 10:10 AM
I don't like that excuse! But having been a poor college student, I can empathise. Where is college? I will kick in a few bucks if you want to make the trip...

-Mike

I go to KVCC (Kennebec Valley Community College) and Husson University located in Fairfield Maine and Bangor Maine respectively. I transferred here from Bridgewater State in MA. which is where I was living during the last Turkey Derby.

Thanks a ton for the offer, I really appreciate it. But I don't feel right taking others' money when there are so many worse off than me. I suppose I should consider myself lucky that my biggest problem is not being able to make it to the Turkey Derby.

I do miss modifieds though, I still have yet to see a NWMT race ever. I've seen the MRS several times but never the NWMT.

KH0429
11-16-2010, 10:13 AM
just go on friday, then. i think it's around $15 or thereabouts to get in friday only. you'll at least get to see the dirt mods and maybe practice or time trials for the mods and sk's. better than nothing at all. :)

Ha, I would die if I could only go on Friday. Thats torture.
The travel expenses are the problem. I figure it would cost me about $500 all together or $700 if I was flying.

Thanks,
Jeff.

BOBBY
11-16-2010, 01:07 PM
This should be a really great race .

KyleMac45
11-16-2010, 02:49 PM
Kyle sat with boots for many years when jamie ran his 56 sportsmen car. Up top 4th turn with the gang i swear to this day i lost some of my hearing sitting next to her. What great lady and mom cant wait to run into her this year at td. Yes the big block dirt cars did open alot of eyes. Alot of guys getting around real well. I just hope the long island guys come down its a old favorite of mine at the end of the year thier tracks would close then they would come and run wall was some of the best mod racing ive seen here.:)

Hey there, yess Boots is a great person to talk to! She can talk, and she as well will always make sure you are well fed! lol!

Hope to see you there!!

Kyle

limodmaniac
11-17-2010, 08:48 PM
Any schedule?

Jaws
11-17-2010, 09:42 PM
http://www.turkey-derby.com/td37_003.htm

limodmaniac
11-17-2010, 10:00 PM
Not much of a schedule

KyleMac45
11-17-2010, 10:01 PM
Any schedule?

The schedule posted is a tentative one, look for a more solid one to be out after this weekend... When I am at the track Saturday I will try to get as much info as possible to relay to you guys

Kyle McGowan
Turkey Derby Official

Jaws
11-17-2010, 11:13 PM
The schedule posted is a tentative one, look for a more solid one to be out after this weekend... When I am at the track Saturday I will try to get as much info as possible to relay to you guys

Kyle McGowan
Turkey Derby Official

Turkey Derby Official? Nice! Should we call you sir now? lol

SUfan
11-18-2010, 06:31 AM
Can we ask if the schedule will have the Modifieds running before the SK's like usual so those of us who have to travel a long distance can actually make plans to go?

KyleMac45
11-18-2010, 06:59 AM
Turkey Derby Official? Nice! Should we call you sir now? lol

LOL! nahhh... hope all is well with you Jaws!

Can we ask if the schedule will have the Modifieds running before the SK's like usual so those of us who have to travel a long distance can actually make plans to go?

As soon as I find out, I will let you know...

Kyle

gmac19
11-20-2010, 02:56 PM
185 cars registered so car as of today! :applause:

MOD11RACER
11-20-2010, 04:54 PM
185 cars registered so car as of today! :applause:

Who cares how many cars are registered. Give us the car count for the Tour Modifieds. That's the one that counts.

44YEARWALLMOD
11-20-2010, 06:11 PM
A WHITE BLUE #51 WAS VERY QUICK JUSTIN B?
REALLY NICE LOOKING # 84 TOUQOUISE FROM RIVERHEAD WAS GOING GOOD NAME?
SK #24 GREY AND BLACK WAS ONE OFF THE FASTEST CARS ALL DAY FROM RIVERHEAD NAME?
LES HENKLEY WAS ROCKIN ALONG WITH THE 66 OF KEN WOLLEY BOTH WERE ON RAILS.
SORRY GUYS I DONT TRAVEL LIKE I USE SO ALOT OF CARS I DONT KNOW TO DAY THEY HAD OVER 550 PEOPLE IN THE PITS I REALLY THINK THIS IS GOING TO BE ONE OF THE BEST.
KYLE SAW BOOTS TODAY TOLD I NEED SOME COOKIES ITS ALWAYS GREAT TO SEE BOOTS.:lol:

KyleMac45
11-20-2010, 08:03 PM
White and Blue 51 was Bonsignore...

Next week is going to be awsome! Can't wait to see you all there

Kyle

gmac19
11-20-2010, 09:01 PM
Who cares how many cars are registered. Give us the car count for the Tour Modifieds. That's the one that counts.

i dont no who u are but the comment is unappreciated,its a HUGE traditional race for all

KyleMac45
11-20-2010, 09:04 PM

here is the website :: www.turkey-derby.com go count...

Jaws
11-20-2010, 09:18 PM
A WHITE BLUE #51 WAS VERY QUICK JUSTIN B?
REALLY NICE LOOKING # 84 TOUQOUISE FROM RIVERHEAD WAS GOING GOOD NAME?
SK #24 GREY AND BLACK WAS ONE OFF THE FASTEST CARS ALL DAY FROM RIVERHEAD NAME?
LES HENKLEY WAS ROCKIN ALONG WITH THE 66 OF KEN WOLLEY BOTH WERE ON RAILS.
SORRY GUYS I DONT TRAVEL LIKE I USE SO ALOT OF CARS I DONT KNOW TO DAY THEY HAD OVER 550 PEOPLE IN THE PITS I REALLY THINK THIS IS GOING TO BE ONE OF THE BEST.
KYLE SAW BOOTS TODAY TOLD I NEED SOME COOKIES ITS ALWAYS GREAT TO SEE BOOTS.:lol:

84 is John Fortin

fastbackss
11-21-2010, 12:33 AM
i dont no who u are but the comment is unappreciated,its a HUGE traditional race for all

LOL - let's settle down people. Yes, the mods are the important thing to some, especially on this board. But there are many of us who care about the entire event. We can be happy that the car count is approaching 200. We should just care that there is another big race weekend left in the NE! That being said, here are the registered entries as of 11/18. There are a number who have practised that are not on this list - presumably they will be there too.

Ryan Truex

Pete Brittain

Jamie Tomaino

Chris Hamilton

Kenny Woolley

Billy Weichert

Jimmy Blewett

Jason Treat

Rob Ormsbee

Ken Darsch

Tony Ferrante

Rich Kuiken Jr.

Jeff Malave

Brian DeFebo

Les Hinkley

Chris Ammon

Danny Sammons

Tim Arre

Danny Bohn

Rowan Pennink

Tommy Farrell III

Shaun Carrig

Matt Hirschman

Patrick Emerling

Anthony Sesely

zombo
11-21-2010, 03:06 AM
Sorry a 2 day pass is $36.00 there are no one day tickets. $11.00 for kids.

yeah, i heard about that the other day. forgot to come edit my msg. thanks for pointing it out. i'm surprised there's no friday ticket. there has always been one.

KyleMac45
11-21-2010, 09:27 PM
For those of you who are looking for the schedule or some kind of times here is a base for this weekend, I presume that the full schedule will be put up sometime during the week @ www.turkey-derby.com ::

Friday -
Practice starts at 8:30

Qualifying @ Noon

Features to begin at APPROXIMATELY 2PM

Saturday -
Practice at 8:30

Qualifying at 11AM

Featurs to begin at APPROXIMATELY 1PM

**SCHEDULE SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE!**

Those wondering about gate times and when they will open:

Pits - 6:30 AM

Pre-Purchase Grandstand 9:30 AM

Grandstands Open 10:00 AM

Hope to see you all there! Remember to get there early enough for a good parking spot!

Kyle
Turkey Derby Official

corey17
11-22-2010, 11:27 PM
Just telling this because I just happened to hear it, but add "Legend's Million" and part-time mod driver Daniel Hemric to the Legend car list. Man, I would love to go to this race and cover it.

worm
11-23-2010, 08:59 PM
sat and sun

limodmaniac
11-23-2010, 10:25 PM
Friday looks like a wash out.... If so, does that show get moved to Sunday? or do they try to do both on Saturday?

RGeeProductions
11-24-2010, 12:08 AM
Because lights cost $$$$ and moving a day saves money....

Jaws
11-24-2010, 12:33 AM
Because lights cost $$$$ and moving a day saves money....

Plus it gets cold when the sun goes down.

gmac19
11-24-2010, 07:55 AM
yeah from what i heard rain date is sat and sunday,so hopefully if they do decide to call it early they do it early enough so everyone can change there hotel reservations and travel plans

Jaws
11-24-2010, 08:41 AM
yeah from what i heard rain date is sat and sunday,so hopefully if they do decide to call it early they do it early enough so everyone can change there hotel reservations and travel plans

But does the whole thing shift back 1 day or is Friday run on Sunday? hmmm

fastbackss
11-24-2010, 09:02 AM
But does the whole thing shift back 1 day or is Friday run on Sunday? hmmm

On the Wall message board it was stated that the whole show is shifted. Friday becomes Saturday and Saturday becomes Sunday.

PS - I notice that the website was updated to show the schedule and order of races... shown below, along with the updated entry list:
FRIDAY, November 26, 2010

Pit Gates open 6:30 am
Grandstands open 10:00 am

Practice to begin at 8:30

Qualifying Approx. - 12:00
Legend Heats
Sportsman Time Trials
TQ Heats
SK Time Trials
Factory Stock Heats
Dirt Modified Time Trials

Garden State Vintage Stock Car Club

Features - Approximately 2:00 PM

Legends - 35 Laps

TQ's - 25 Laps

Sportsman - 50 Laps

Dirt Modifieds - 40 Laps

Factory Stocks - 40 Laps SATURDAY, November 27, 2010

Pit Gates open at 6:30 am
Grandstands open 10:00 am

Practice to begin at 8:30

Qualifying - Approx. 11:00
Tour Modified Time Trials
Street Stock Heats
SK Consi
Dirt Modified Time Trials
Tour Modified Non-Qualifiers Race

Features - Approx. - 1:00 PM

4-C Super Modifieds - 15 Laps

SK/SST/B/Wall Modifieds - 100 Laps

Street Stocks - 50 Laps

Tour Type Modifieds - 150 Laps

Dirt Modifieds - 40 Laps

Entries Tour Mods:
Ryan Truex

Pete Brittain

Jamie Tomaino

Chris Hamilton

Kenny Woolley

Billy Weichert

Jimmy Blewett

Jason Treat

Rob Ormsbee

Ken Darsch

Tony Ferrante

Rich Kuiken Jr.

Jeff Malave

Brian DeFebo

Les Hinkley

Chris Ammon

Danny Sammons

Tim Arre

Danny Bohn

Rowan Pennink

Tommy Farrell III

Shaun Carrig

Matt Hirschman

Patrick Emerling

Anthony Sesely

John Markovic

Andrew Walko

KyleMac45
11-24-2010, 11:58 AM
IF the Friday portion of the racing is cancelled then the racing will happen on Saturday... www.turkey-derby.com has the full schedule and feature distances for all the races...

Also just read this from the NOAA.org website: Friday: Showers, mainly before noon. High near 55.

Hope to see you there...

Kyle

TMAC
11-24-2010, 12:54 PM
Lets see who wins,mine are, tour type: Jimmy blewett,sk;ronnie silk;big block mods billy pauch

Bobby1717
11-24-2010, 01:11 PM
If it rains on Friday then just have the sk's time trail on Sat. and you have your normal scheduale without any interuption.

If Saturday's schedule is moved to Sun, I can't wait to deal with the traffic from Giants Stadium and a 1:00 game, game ends around 4-4:30:lol:

limodmaniac
11-24-2010, 01:55 PM
i don't think I've ever seen Saturdays show get moved back to Sunday. I think that would be a mistake. Thats your big show, the big day. You don't move that to fit in Fridays show.

zombo
11-24-2010, 02:50 PM
the original owners use to condense down to one day if friday got rained out. i think that's a better way to go.

stoningtonmodmania
11-24-2010, 05:26 PM
the original owners use to condense down to one day if friday got rained out. i think that's a better way to go.

i agree all the way one day show

worm
11-24-2010, 07:36 PM
that is when there was 3 divisions not 8

ModTourMan
11-24-2010, 07:37 PM
that is when there was 3 divisions not 8

Good point!

limodmaniac
11-24-2010, 08:53 PM
Last weather I heard was for some clearing on Friday. Hopefully, they can stick to original schedule. I know of at least 5 people who won't bother going if its on Sunday.

iamaranger
11-24-2010, 10:17 PM
what happens if they only get part of friday in, will they just run the rest on saturday?

RGeeProductions
11-24-2010, 10:52 PM
I'm getting confused....
One McGowan says:
"yeah from what i heard rain date is sat and sunday, so hopefully if they do decide to call it early they do it early enough so everyone can change there hotel reservations and travel plans"
And the other McGowan says:
"IF the Friday portion of the racing is canceled then the racing will happen on Saturday... www.turkey-derby.com has the full schedule and feature distances for all the races..."

HUH?!?!
I'll take door #2?!?! LOL

KyleMac45
11-25-2010, 09:21 AM
when McGowan #1 posted he posted what he had heard that morning, nothing was confirmed at that point...

When McGowan #2 posted (ME) I posted the facts, and the website if people didn't believe me!

Does that clear things up RGEE?! LOL

Kyle

RGeeProductions
11-25-2010, 09:47 AM
Thanks Kyle. The website does not mention anywhere what will happen if it rains Friday, so many do want to know.

fastbackss
11-25-2010, 09:51 AM
Thanks Kyle. The website does not mention anywhere what will happen if it rains Friday, so many do want to know.

It does - it is under the news section:

Rain Dates set for Turkey Derby XXXVII

Should rain force the Friday program to be rescheduled, Management has decided that they will just move the program into the weekend. Friday's schedule will run on Saturday. The Saturday racing will happen on Sunday.

RGeeProductions
11-25-2010, 09:57 AM
Dang, I was only looking under the 'Schedule and Directions' since this would pertain to that! Thanks

ModTourMan
11-25-2010, 10:02 AM
...but what if it rains only half-way through Fridays program? :lol:

fastbackss
11-25-2010, 11:25 AM

We dry the track with your hat :lol:

Just kidding of course. I would like to know the same thing. I have a feeling things will be compressed as is.

KyleMac45
11-25-2010, 08:39 PM

RGEE not trying to be a wise a** or anything yet, but when I need info for something I just don't go to a website look at the front page and say oh I don't see it whatever... I would think it is common sense to surf the site a little bit before giving up... I don't think people are that dumb that they can't click the "NEWS" section... IDK thats just me

I just looked at the weather again, the "R" is supposed to taper off around 11-12ish in the morning... that means we have a FULL day to dry the track and get some racing in!

Have some hope people that we WILL race tomorrow! Don't be such "Debbie Downers!" :D

Kyle

dbucs1
11-25-2010, 11:26 PM
OK forget the r word lets talk about who is going to win the derby. I just hope it is a great race. Got to ask you northerners one question when are y'all going to blow up those darn toll booths man I hate those things.:p

KyleMac45
11-26-2010, 05:14 AM
OK forget the r word lets talk about who is going to win the derby. I just hope it is a great race. Got to ask you northerners one question when are y'all going to blow up those darn toll booths man I hate those things.:p

Parkway and Turnpike my friend!

ModTourMan
11-26-2010, 10:58 AM
We dry the track with your hat :lol:

Just kidding of course. I would like to know the same thing. I have a feeling things will be compressed as is.

LOL..."The Hat" will be there for the Derby, don't worry!

Jaws
11-26-2010, 01:26 PM
Just spoke tp Glen at the track, they are a little behind because of the weather but should get all todays races in.

limodmaniac
11-26-2010, 01:35 PM
Starting to dress in multiple layers... Should be dressed and ready to go by tomorrow morning

Jaws
11-26-2010, 02:09 PM
Qualifing on the track now.

ModTourMan
11-26-2010, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the update Jaws.

KyleMac45
11-26-2010, 03:31 PM
Hello folks the racing is going on, on the track right now as I type this!!! IF you did not come today hope to see ya tomorrow!!!

Kyle McGowan

Turkey Derby Official

limodmaniac
11-26-2010, 03:44 PM
SK or mods first on the schedule for tomorrow?

limodmaniac
11-26-2010, 04:08 PM
Just got word that Matt Hirschman set fast time in the Bob Horn SK, and will start on pole tomorrow, in the SK race that will take the green flag race before the modified race does.

limodmaniac
11-27-2010, 08:44 AM
happy turkey derby day

WEEZER
11-27-2010, 09:05 PM
Any results or photo's anywhere????

fastbackss
11-27-2010, 09:34 PM
Any results or photo's anywhere????

With appropriate homage paid to the name of this site, I present to you today's results:

http://www.mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=1755963

ModTourMan
11-27-2010, 09:44 PM
With appropriate homage paid to the name of this site, I present to you today's results:

http://www.mylaps.com/results/showrun.jsp?id=1755963

Well done Mike.

It was great (as always) getting to hang with you today at wall.
The Derby Modified 150 sure got off to a slow star, but it ended with lots of action, thrills and a bit of controversy...just what a short track modified event should have I suppose!

Gil
11-28-2010, 01:21 AM
Where are the rest of the results? I saw the Mods & SKs on "Live", but not the others on there or My Laps.

fastbackss
11-28-2010, 07:38 AM
Where are the rest of the results? I saw the Mods & SKs on "Live", but not the others on there or My Laps.

http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=615773

limodmaniac
11-28-2010, 07:44 AM
As I wake up in NJ, some thoughts regarding yesterdays Turkey Derby.

1. First time ever saving the modified race to late in the day, as I can recall. Not a great decision. But had the not run a consi for Sk or street stocks, may have helped some. Think they ended up putting everyone in the race anyhow.

2 Lots of cautions and looooooong races, but last one of the year, so I actually didn't mind.

3 I will agree with Blewett that it was good to see people up and cheering and booing after the race was over. The foul mouthed Blewett fan behind me managed to be louder than the rest of us who were all booing. I would love to do a survey of drivers who thought they were slammed by made as he made his way to the front.

4 rumors had it that ther may have been an arrest after the SK race. Anyone know for sure?

5 Similarities between Silk and Hirschman both getting stuffed in the walls, but
hate to say this, more similarities in the way Silk and Blewett race others.

stoningtonmodmania
11-28-2010, 11:02 AM
well the mod race race had every thing good racin wrecks controversy, but what do you expect on a small track with 30 cars. Great ending even with only about 12 cars left jimmy and matt deffenitly put ona great show.

KyleMac45
11-28-2010, 11:07 AM
It was soo good to see so many people there this weekend!

Jim it was nice seeing you, as I walked through the gate the one time, I saw you tell someone there is one of the McGowans...

Was deffinitly a LONG day yesterday, it was cool to see everyone stay for all the events yesterday.

Jim - I did not hear of any SK driver getting arrested, I think once Billy saw the State Police he calmed down real fast!

The tour race did get off to a little bit of a slow start, but indeed offered some great racing and one awsome finish in the end!

Hope everyone has a great holiday and hope to see everyone soon! Maybe at Atlantic City or Providence for the indoor shows!

Kyle

Fkraft99
11-28-2010, 12:39 PM
"5 Similarities between Silk and Hirschman both getting stuffed in the walls, but
hate to say this, more similarities in the way Silk and Blewett race others."

:wave: I know something they had in common on Saturday. lol :wave:

limodmaniac
11-28-2010, 03:38 PM
So YOU were the one actually driving both cars? Now, THAT makes sense. a K and N guy driving a modified... I should have known..... lol.. And don't you dare tell me Truex had a good finish. Boy, oh boy , you can put the K and N champ in a modified, but you can't make him a real driver ( The comments made by this K and N hater should not totally be taken seriously) But look in Area Auto..K and N ...an article on where it's heading... can we say Kaboom!

Also , a link from another post somewhere out there in cyber land.http://www.usa50.com/DisplayMsg.asp?ForumID=32&Msgid=1458913&page=1&Return=DisplayMsg.asp&D83jsd=True

Gil
11-29-2010, 01:56 AM
Thanks for new link to MyLaps.

zombo
11-29-2010, 03:30 AM
the tour mod race was a joke. jimmy's family let him get away with everything. the same things he did rocco was penalized for in the sk race and so were several other drivers. ask farrell and defebo how much they liked racing jimmy. apparently blatant dumping of other drivers passes for racing in this forum.

TourFan Ed
11-29-2010, 10:09 PM
Been going to Wall for quite a few years. Usually tell people to expect a lot of cautions and a Blewett in victory lane. Both came true in this race. Also not a big Keith Rocco fan but heard him on the radio during the SK race say now that Jimmy isn't running the race they have rules.

TMAC
11-30-2010, 12:02 PM
Why did justin get black flagged?

KyleMac45
11-30-2010, 04:10 PM
Why did justin get black flagged?

He was to many laps down, more than 5 and you are not allowed back on track... He was 9

TMAC
12-01-2010, 12:29 PM
From one Mac to the other,thanks

KyleMac45
12-01-2010, 06:31 PM
From one Mac to the other,thanks

no problem!

MXCHAMP04
12-01-2010, 09:19 PM
That had to be the poorest race I think I have been to in a long time. The organization of the race was aweful. They had no idea who was supoosed to be in position. Each caution took forever. I was completely disgusted how the day was organized. It was a complete lack of planning.

RLP
12-02-2010, 03:18 PM
I may be in minority, but I had a great time . I was just glad to be there. lining up after cautions was a little annoying but I thought Mod race was exciting at end . I was on edge of my seat just wish TC was there. I love the quarter miles little beaten and banging got to expect a few cautions. " got to disagree with Walt don't like cautions counting on 1/4 or any track without pit road" Sk race a little slow Dirt cars were awesome, flag guy still pretty quick on his feet. anybody see that legend car hit flag stand at Mountain ? was on you tube dont know how to link. anyway it was a long day but still had plenty of time to get to Big Eds bbq . Sure hope to be there next Thanksgiving weekend!

stoningtonmodmania
12-02-2010, 04:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnFo8BEY7hY&feature=related

i think this is it

KyleMac45
12-02-2010, 05:35 PM
That had to be the poorest race I think I have been to in a long time. The organization of the race was aweful. They had no idea who was supoosed to be in position. Each caution took forever. I was completely disgusted how the day was organized. It was a complete lack of planning.

I will give you the fact that the race was long and had many cautions... but poorly organized no! We and when I saw "we" all the officials there tried our damn hardest to everything as qucikly and efficintley as possible. Yes it took a few minutes to get the cars back in order, but there was not one point that we just stopped trying to go as fast as we could to get back green.

It is also kinda hard when all the drivers do not have there spotters on a scanner, me personally, I think it should have been made mandatory but it wasn't. Thats ok, but the at the least the drivers could have worked with us a little bit!

On behalf of all my fellow officials, I can tell that we did the best we could and made the show run as smooth as possible. We all make mistakes, and we live and learn.

Kyle

gmac19
12-02-2010, 09:07 PM

i got an idea for u,if u dont like it than why dont u become an official and do it all by ur self,like my brother said they tried there best,u should go and try to run a show,let alone turkey derby one of the biggest races of the year...good luck :cool:

MXCHAMP04
12-03-2010, 05:28 PM
i got an idea for u,if u dont like it than why dont u become an official and do it all by ur self,like my brother said they tried there best,u should go and try to run a show,let alone turkey derby one of the biggest races of the year...good luck :cool:That's about the response I would have expected from someone who maybe was involved. I however am not in the business of running race events. But, I would assume that the people who ran this are. And still did a poor job. I would not tell a firefighter how to fight a fire, a machinist how to cut a piece of metal, but I would expect them to know how to do it. It's just that simple.

KyleMac45
12-03-2010, 05:41 PM
That's about the response I would have expected from someone who maybe was involved. I however am not in the business of running race events. But, I would assume that the people who ran this are. And still did a poor job. I would not tell a firefighter how to fight a fire, a machinist how to cut a piece of metal, but I would expect them to know how to do it. It's just that simple.

Actually we again talking about the staff of Turkey Derby 37, did the BEST that WE could do! We can only do as much as possible, and tell the spotters and crew members whom might be scanning what we want. We tell them in the drivers meeting what is expected!

And your right the people who did the run the even have been around racing for a LONG time.

Maybe you should try and run an even of the scale that Blewett and Ling families did, and then come back an tell me how it went! Not every single event you go to in life is going to be perfect. Yea there will be some hiccups maybe in your opinion more than you want. But as an official we can only tell the drivers what we expect of them! WE cannot drive the cars for them...

Kyle

stabone
12-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Actually we again talking about the staff of Turkey Derby 37, did the BEST that WE could do! We can only do as much as possible, and tell the spotters and crew members whom might be scanning what we want. We tell them in the drivers meeting what is expected!

And your right the people who did the run the even have been around racing for a LONG time.

Maybe you should try and run an even of the scale that Blewett and Ling families did, and then come back an tell me how it went! Not every single event you go to in life is going to be perfect. Yea there will be some hiccups maybe in your opinion more than you want. But as an official we can only tell the drivers what we expect of them! WE cannot drive the cars for them...

Kyle

Ok kyle I usually never post here when there is an arguement,but I cant help myself.You say..."But as an official we can only tell the drivers what we expect of them! WE cannot drive the cars for them"... Well everytime you guys would adjust the lineup you would stop them on the front stretch and line them up correct?? Well there was instances {not just in mod race} were it took a few minutes per car to sort it out...There was one instance were the official had the field stopped for atleast 5 min. waiting for an answer from the tower.Another instance was after field had been lined up and all sett after 5 laps...they went another 5 laps and that happened alot.And there was people bringing out the caution intentionally {drivers were told u would put lap down in drivers meeting} that didnt happen.....Over aggresive driving... saw lots of that in sk race and drivers get penalized...How come not in tour race????I am not picking on you guys at all i know its a tough thankless job.I know alot went into this event.I just think there was alot of things that just shouldn't of happened.Dont leave the total blame on us spotters and drivers cause thats just not the case.

KyleMac45
12-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Ok kyle I usually never post here when there is an arguement,but I cant help myself.You say..."But as an official we can only tell the drivers what we expect of them! WE cannot drive the cars for them"... Well everytime you guys would adjust the lineup you would stop them on the front stretch and line them up correct?? Well there was instances {not just in mod race} were it took a few minutes per car to sort it out...There was one instance were the official had the field stopped for atleast 5 min. waiting for an answer from the tower.Another instance was after field had been lined up and all sett after 5 laps...they went another 5 laps and that happened alot.And there was people bringing out the caution intentionally {drivers were told u would put lap down in drivers meeting} that didnt happen.....Over aggresive driving... saw lots of that in sk race and drivers get penalized...How come not in tour race????I am not picking on you guys at all i know its a tough thankless job.I know alot went into this event.I just think there was alot of things that just shouldn't of happened.Dont leave the total blame on us spotters and drivers cause thats just not the case.

Well getting the cars in line is a computer thing, that took time because of the program we have and how the scorer need to fix it.

And as for the other thing, I am not the race director, I am only the messenger! Wish I could answer that for ya!

It is not all totally the drivers and the spotters. I have been on both sides on the fence, I know what it is like, you don't have to tell me twice!

I think that we all have our opinions about things, but people need to realize that EVERY SINGLE PERSON who worked on the event, worked hard and put in countless hours! I don't appreciate it when people have to run there mouths and say things that the event was un-organized and not well put together because that is 100000000000% BS!

Kyle

stabone
12-03-2010, 07:36 PM
Well getting the cars in line is a computer thing, that took time because of the program we have and how the scorer need to fix it.

And as for the other thing, I am not the race director, I am only the messenger! Wish I could answer that for ya!

It is not all totally the drivers and the spotters. I have been on both sides on the fence, I know what it is like, you don't have to tell me twice!

I think that we all have our opinions about things, but people need to realize that EVERY SINGLE PERSON who worked on the event, worked hard and put in countless hours! I don't appreciate it when people have to run there mouths and say things that the event was un-organized and not well put together because that is 100000000000% BS!

Kyle

You dont have to yell at me kyle geeesh.......This is the reason why I dont post on here.....I should of listened to the little voice in my head that told me TWICE not to post!!!!!!!!

KyleMac45
12-03-2010, 07:55 PM
You dont have to yell at me kyle geeesh.......This is the reason why I dont post on here.....I should of listened to the little voice in my head that told me TWICE not to post!!!!!!!!

Not yelling, just emphasizing, on a big part, that people keep getting mixed up! Just makes me mad, when people don't realize how much effort was put into the event, no one has any right of saying that the race was unorganized or not put together well... I stand behing the Blewett's and Ling's the event was a success and I hope more comes out of it! :applause:

Kyle

stabone
12-03-2010, 08:14 PM
I used to think Kyle "chesney" Mcgowan was the best flagger around.......Warren Alston is my new favorite!!!!!!!!!! hahahahaa j/k Kyle love ya buddy!!!!!

KyleMac45
12-03-2010, 08:17 PM
:lol: :lol: thanks Crowley! you always make my day!!! lol <3 Crowley Chesney! :)

GM2
12-03-2010, 09:04 PM
I used to think Kyle "chesney" Mcgowan was the best flagger around.......Warren Alston is my new favorite!!!!!!!!!! hahahahaa j/k Kyle love ya buddy!!!!!

That would be Warren "Wiggles" Alston

MXCHAMP04
12-04-2010, 08:58 AM

KyleBeing around racing as a driver, crew member, spotter or whatever does not make someone qualified as an event planner, regardless of how long you've been around the sport. I don't doubt that a lot of work went into the event, but that does not in any way diminish the fact that in every other year that I have gone to the derby, that I was almost home by the time I was leaving the parking lot. And that was IMO due to the people planning this are not experienced in running something like this. Sorry, but it was a mess. Group after group around me in the stands were leaving during the tour race and shaking their heads.

KyleMac45
12-04-2010, 09:58 AM
Being around racing as a driver, crew member, spotter or whatever does not make someone qualified as an event planner, regardless of how long you've been around the sport. I don't doubt that a lot of work went into the event, but that does not in any way diminish the fact that in every other year that I have gone to the derby, that I was almost home by the time I was leaving the parking lot. And that was IMO due to the people planning this are not experienced in running something like this. Sorry, but it was a mess. Group after group around me in the stands were leaving during the tour race and shaking their heads.

Sorry feel you that way! but IMO I think you are 100% wrong because you have NO idea what went in to the event! And I never said I was capable about being a planner.

I just don't like it when people talk bad about an even when they have no idea what went into it and the countless hours that were spent at the track, people gave up there Thanksgiving of being with family to be at the track working.

Just a little appreciation is what is asked for! :applause:

Kyle

dbucs1
12-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Ya'll did a great job. I have seen all year on both tours weekly tracks a mind set of the drivers not listening to the officals to go to the right postion that they are suppose to go. Only thing you could of changed was to make it mandatory that the spotters monitor the wall officals put an offical with the spotters. Then you give the team one lap to get in position if they dont listen black flag them. I think alot of teams forget that transponders go back to the previous lap.

RGeeProductions
12-04-2010, 03:55 PM
MXCHAMP04, a reasonable question for you, well 2 questions.
1. How many Turkey Derby's have you been to?
2. Exactly, what was different in this years over any past years in your eyes?

I do agree things did go slowly and that there were many cautions, but how does this differ then past years?
BTW: I stood at the top of the stands, east of the building. I did not see many leave during the race (the few I did see looked more cold then disgusted). In fact, when the race was finished, we were gonna rush to our cars to beat everyone and there was hardly anyone rushing to leave.
In fact, we stood and talked for a bit and still got right out of the parking lot!
I got home about an hour later then last year, no biggie....

MXCHAMP04
12-05-2010, 05:38 PM
MXCHAMP04, a reasonable question for you, well 2 questions.
1. How many Turkey Derby's have you been to?
2. Exactly, what was different in this years over any past years in your eyes?

I do agree things did go slowly and that there were many cautions, but how does this differ then past years?
BTW: I stood at the top of the stands, east of the building. I did not see many leave during the race (the few I did see looked more cold then disgusted). In fact, when the race was finished, we were gonna rush to our cars to beat everyone and there was hardly anyone rushing to leave.
In fact, we stood and talked for a bit and still got right out of the parking lot!
I got home about an hour later then last year, no biggie....I have been to quite a few debry's. More than ten. Probably been to more than 400-500 races in my life and almost every race on the WMT and MRS tour in the last the last 3-4 years. I can't remember ever a race that every single caution the field was brought to a dead stop and the cars palced back in line. At least 4-5 minutes every caution, and it was aggravating for me. I understand racing and a lot of cautions, I have no problem with that, it just took forever to get things going again.
Also what I don't understand, is why put every mod in the race when several cars didn't qualify. This only added to more cars on the track and more confusion. I understand they wanna give everyone a chance to race, but come on, you have to draw a line somewhere.
And contrary to prior comments, I do have experience running race events. Check out www.nemx.org. I was a racer and later an organizer/official for this organization. Granted, it's not car racing, and in motocross, you just keep racing when someone crashes, unless they are really hurt, but i'm not dumb to the world of trying to organize a race event.
My last comment here also, is, as I went into the pits, I was like, holy crap, sixty dollars for the pits, when last year it was i believe 35. I thought to myself, "someone is only concerned with making some money here. This could be a disaster".

KyleMac45
12-05-2010, 05:50 PM
I have been to quite a few debry's. More than ten. Probably been to more than 400-500 races in my life and almost every race on the WMT and MRS tour in the last the last 3-4 years. I can't remember ever a race that every single caution the field was brought to a dead stop and the cars palced back in line. At least 4-5 minutes every caution, and it was aggravating for me. I understand racing and a lot of cautions, I have no problem with that, it just took forever to get things going again.
Also what I don't understand, is why put every mod in the race when several cars didn't qualify. This only added to more cars on the track and more confusion. I understand they wanna give everyone a chance to race, but come on, you have to draw a line somewhere.
And contrary to prior comments, I do have experience running race events. Check out www.nemx.org. I was a racer and later an organizer/official for this organization. Granted, it's not car racing, and in motocross, you just keep racing when someone crashes, unless they are really hurt, but i'm not dumb to the world of trying to organize a race event.
My last comment here also, is, as I went into the pits, I was like, holy crap, sixty dollars for the pits, when last year it was i believe 35. I thought to myself, "someone is only concerned with making some money here. This could be a disaster".

And I will say it again, the reason for stopping the field was because it went back to the last completed, and not everyone had a scanner! So would you rather have us take a few mins to try an orgainize the field OR just point to cars and yell at em and take maybe even longer!?

And to your comment about everyone starting the event, the difference between whether everyone started or didn't start was only a few cars! And if everyone didn't start there would have been a non-qualifiers race... hmmm an extra race OR just few extra cars to the feature... I will take option 2 please!

Differnce from last year to this year, 2 DAY PIT PASS! 60 for 2 days is not that bad! It was a decision to sell only 2 day passes and if you could only come to one day then sorry, you still had to pay 60. Every single person that went through the front gate payed a 2 day ticket admission as well...

Just one last little thing from me as well, if you didn't like the way things were done, then you should lay out a ton of $$$$ or ask to be an official at the event and give in your 2 sense ok?

Kyle

MXCHAMP04
12-05-2010, 08:24 PM
There you go again, telling me I should try to go become an official and try to run one of these events. And I keep telling you that i'm not in the business of running a show. What actually should be happening is that you should look into how things went, and ask yourself, "how can I improve next time". Then maybe things will get better next time instead of trying to deflect some real and honest criticism.

KyleMac45
12-05-2010, 09:21 PM
There you go again, telling me I should try to go become an official and try to run one of these events. And I keep telling you that i'm not in the business of running a show. What actually should be happening is that you should look into how things went, and ask yourself, "how can I improve next time". Then maybe things will get better next time instead of trying to deflect some real and honest criticism.

Not trying to deflect criticism! and no what I am trying to tell you is that if you think that the show was that bad, and was soo un-organized then maybe you should offer your input to the people running the event! And tell them instead of complaing about it here! hmmmm that sounds like a good idea... just sayin :wave:

Kyle

hollywoodmic
12-06-2010, 08:57 AM
Let me start by saying I could not attend this years Turkey Derby. I've been to 30 plus in my lifetime. JUST FROM WHAT I'M READING........MX is a fan who paid to get in to this race. He's entitled to his opinion. Kyle sometimes you come on here and you act your age, other times you come on and are well ahead of your years. In this instance.......acting your age.

It's OK that someone didn't like "your" Turkey Derby. You take that criticism and as a group you learn from it. You don't get defensive with the "well you try it" or "we did this, or we did that" or best of all the "put up your $$$$". The Blewetts and the Lings are very good business people and they did the right thing to keep this race alive, I'm sure they didn't loose much $$, insert tounge and cheek here. MX's $60 maybe $600K to them. He spent his hard earned $ and didn't like the product. You as the Wall Flagger, PR Director, Web Master and so on should learn from that. You think Ben Dodge was never criticized??? That's how he became Ben Dodge.

All I'm saying is you and your brother coming on here to defend what some people thought was a sh*tty race isn't a good thing. As an official you may have been busy alllllllllll day but MX was stuck in the stands freezing his ass off waiting 10-15 minutes between each caution. He paid for the ticket he has a right to say he wasn't satisfied and the best thing you can do is improve your product based on the opinions of his and others.

No one said it would be easy Kyle. If you answered his 1st post by saying, "it's our first time, but we did the best we could, MX contact me and help us to improve" you wouldn't look like a kid protecting his sand box right now.

I'm not bashing you, I'm trying to help you. If you want to work around adults who have forgotten more about racing then you know, learn from what they tell you. You could really be good at this someday, just based on you passion for the sport. Fix the Turkey Derby Kyle by using criticism, you have to give the people what they want. You're a good kid and you do a great job for the Mods. Just read what I wrote here and I hope you'll get it.

Oh, P.S don't ask me " What have you ever done??" I've done plenty in this racing game, on all levels. I'm qualified to make the previous statements. I was Kyle McGowan once, no one used to get more defensive than me. You learn from some of the people you despise in life, just pay attention: you may learn something.

KyleMac45
12-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Let me start by saying I could not attend this years Turkey Derby. I've been to 30 plus in my lifetime. JUST FROM WHAT I'M READING........MX is a fan who paid to get in to this race. He's entitled to his opinion. Kyle sometimes you come on here and you act your age, other times you come on and are well ahead of your years. In this instance.......acting your age.

It's OK that someone didn't like "your" Turkey Derby. You take that criticism and as a group you learn from it. You don't get defensive with the "well you try it" or "we did this, or we did that" or best of all the "put up your $$$$". The Blewetts and the Lings are very good business people and they did the right thing to keep this race alive, I'm sure they didn't loose much $$, insert tounge and cheek here. MX's $60 maybe $600K to them. He spent his hard earned $ and didn't like the product. You as the Wall Flagger, PR Director, Web Master and so on should learn from that. You think Ben Dodge was never criticized??? That's how he became Ben Dodge.

All I'm saying is you and your brother coming on here to defend what some people thought was a sh*tty race isn't a good thing. As an official you may have been busy alllllllllll day but MX was stuck in the stands freezing his ass off waiting 10-15 minutes between each caution. He paid for the ticket he has a right to say he wasn't satisfied and the best thing you can do is improve what when on based on the opinions of his and others.

No one said it would be easy Kyle. If you answered his 1st post by saying, "it's our first time, but we did the best we could, MX contact me and help us to improve" you wouldn't look like a kid protecting his sand box right now.

I'm not bashing you, I'm trying to help you. If you want to work around adults who have forgotten more about racing then you know, learn from what they tell you. You could really be good at this someday, just based on you passion for the sport. Fix the Turkey Derby Kyle by using criticism, you have to give the people what they want. Your a good kid and you do a great job for the Mods. Just read what I wrote here and I hope you'll get it.

Oh, P.S don't ask me " What have you ever done??" I've done plenty in this racing game, on all levels. I'm qualified to make the previous statements. I was Kyle McGowan once, no one used to get more defensive than me. You learn from some of people you despise in life, just pay attention: you may learn something.

Hollywood mic,

appreciate your words of "wisdom" persay. thanks for the kind words as well... You are right, racing is my passion as is many others. But I put some much effort into what I do! It makes me happy at the end of the day to say I helped out with that race. Over the past 2 years, I have become more an official and crew member more than anything.

Thanks again for the kind words though! I have gotten so much of that the past few years. To be honest with you I have never really taken a step back to see how much I have done for the sport that I truly love!

Kyle

Sharkey-Images
12-08-2010, 06:33 PM
This was my 1st Turkey Derby mainly because I always knew it was the day after Thanksgiving which I always had to work. I never thought to look into the fact they continued into Saturday.

This year I paid more attention and it has been all over the local newspapers how it is either the end or the start of a new beginning.

Just in case it was the end, I wanted to make it to at least one Turkey Derby.
I would like to thank all of the Sponsors, Volunteers and the Racers who came out to support this event.

You all gave me two days of Racing and the week before Saturday's practice to remember for a lifetime.

I was happy to have the opportunity to shoot this event and capture so many exciting moments that will be around forever...

As to the comments on the delays.
I was there on the front line and can say that the officials, wreckers, volunteer fire crews worked as quickly as they could to get the damaged cars and their drivers off the tracks ASAP.
I also took it upon myself to visually inspect the track through my lens to make sure they found all of the debris. In one case they missed a piece and I was able to get the attention of one of the officials before they were to go to green and remove a piece of metal from Turn 1.

As a 1st timer, I felt they moved very quickly but I also like they fact they made sure the cars were in their proper order on the restarts. I would rather see that then some racers being cheated out of the position they worked so hard to get to. I do not know what it takes to do that, but I did see some frustration with the officials to the point they stopped the cars until all were correct. For that, as cold as I was standing inside the oval from 10:30 AM until 8:30PM ??? I won't complain about it. I know they were working as hard as they could to make this event go quickly and smoothly.

If a future is to be had at WALL, a recommendation I would like to suggest for the people that work the infield. A Porta John behind the concrete barrier and have a Food Truck .......:D:D:D I think the Food Truck would have done very well with all of us out there... ;) Just a thought !:)

My hat is off to all of you !!!

If you need to have a look back, I shot over 3,000 images from Saturday's practice on Nov 20th, the Features on Friday Night and all day and night on Saturday of the Turkey Derby...

See my site.

Enjoy !!! ;)

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v12/p692400460-4.jpg

http://sharkeyimages.zenfolio.com/img/s7/v8/p837802260-4.jpg

Jaws
12-08-2010, 08:08 PM
Been in the infield at Wall and a porta john and food would be great!

Teds Race Tours
12-09-2010, 05:01 AM
Been in the infield at Wall and a porta john and food would be great!

ya dont eat....ya don't need the porta john.