PDA

View Full Version : Figure 8 Endurance Race

figure849
11-11-2010, 07:46 PM
Figure 8 Endurance race,

How about instead of 15 lap races with a week to week different time limit.

Instead make it an enduro, 45 minute time limit with enduro rules no yellow flags for stalled cars.

This would make for exciting races for the fans.

And when drivers see that they are not getting yellows for every little thing, They will continue on so they don't go a lap down.

Red flags for driver safety

The fans get to see 45 minutes of racing not 4 laps of racing and parade laps under caution.

What do you think ?

The Bullfather
11-11-2010, 07:55 PM
How many of those cars will last 45 mins?

I've been waiting for a Figure 8 Enduro with stout rules to safety in mind.

art11758
11-12-2010, 07:43 AM
All of them. No doubt in my mind. Change the rules up a little bit and you either adapt or finish last. Good idea Mr. Schenk.

deathwishracin1
11-12-2010, 10:23 PM
How many of those cars will last 45 mins?

I've been waiting for a Figure 8 Enduro with stout rules to safety in mind.

be careful what you wish for...;)

figure849
11-13-2010, 02:29 PM
Thats it , I really do think everyone will adapt as long as it is run as an enduro each and every week.
Then everyone will see that when you get spun, you don't let it stall because you will not get a caution. And if you do sit there everyone will go by, And you will go a lap down.
What will really help ,But may not happen is the one end of the track that did not get filled in with asphalt, If at least an extra grove is added so that you have more room to go around stopped cars.
After going to Indy this year and seeing how 50 cars can be on the track at the same time, And run much much longer with out stalled cars on the track, I can see why it so popular with the fans.
The same cars run each Sat. night in a late model feature then a figure 8 feature.
And respected as the premier division.

KnK Racing
11-13-2010, 06:07 PM
i think its a different thing making it exciting for the fans, but we have a hard enough time getting 11 12 cars every week, running for 45 min will increase the tire and fuel bills. those bills are enough as is

figure849
11-13-2010, 06:56 PM
Not everyone wants to see a 4 lap race .
What I think we need to do is change the driver mentality of spinning out and parking waiting for a yellow.
If your not getting it you will throtle on.
I have seen what a figure 8 race can look like ,And now I know why they are the fan favorite.
It's all about the fans.
Our drivers are no different then the guy's at Indy
Just don't be afraid to step it up.
How much of a show do you think your putting on when managment calls the show on lap 4, And how long do you think they will put up with that poor of a show.
Do you think that on lap 4 they are saying thats enough we have given the fans there money's worth and we don't want to give them anymore.

Teds Race Tours
11-14-2010, 11:07 AM
Make a rule that any car that spins out and brings out the yellow gets a one or even two lap penalty. You'll find drivers grabbing gears instead of sitting.

fisherman
11-14-2010, 12:00 PM
hey artie what are you gonna change the rules too

Jaws
11-14-2010, 02:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWEmY_T5ljA

Its been done before at a very similar track.

figure849
11-14-2010, 05:25 PM
Change is good

fisherman
11-14-2010, 05:49 PM
Change is good

yea but what are the car rules gonna be :lol:

TTOR
11-14-2010, 06:34 PM
the problem is that the yellow comes out anytime a car is stopped on the track. The idea of running this as an enduro is cool but un-necessary.

The simpler fix is keep the race length at 15-20 laps, and either like previously mentioned assign a lap penalty for intentionally sitting on the track to bring a yellow out, or just don't throw a caution for a single car spin for at least a full lap. Either way there would be no benefit to sitting on the track.

completely eliminated the yellows seems excessive, and expensive. Track officials need to be more severe about policing this issue across every division.

deathwishracin1
11-14-2010, 09:59 PM
I thought there was already supposed to be a one lap penalty for intentionally bringing out the yellow for no real reason. Idk maybe first time you bring it out for no reason you get a lap penalty and if you do it again you get parked for the night? I remember growing up this was the best division at the track, but I honestly I don't even waste my time watching anymore because of all the cautions.

figure849
11-15-2010, 09:29 AM
If you intentionally bringing out the yellow you are put a lap down, But if you get help from the wrecker then your good. What I'm saying is we cant get through a turn with out a couple cars getting together and the caution coming out.
Don't throw it unless the track is blocked.
When you are sitting there and cars can get by, and you are going a lap down, then you will not be sitting around the next time waiting.
The fans and management want to see racing.
The drivers mentality has to change in order for our division to become what it used to be.
If there is room for one car to get through, then there is room for the entire field.
Maybe what I'm saying is yellow is caution "slow down caution there may be a part of the track that is blocked" maintain your position.
Red flag stop.
What it gets back to is enduro type rules.
Maybe not 45 minutes but I'm sure everyone that races figure 8 can expect to race 20 or 30 minutes.
Your not running heats, did you come to race or just start in the front and hope for the race to be over in 4 laps

art11758
11-15-2010, 12:14 PM
hey artie what are you gonna change the rules too

Why would you want to do that? The rules are already so far from what was sensible, that the only thing you might wanna do is get a much harder compound for the tires. So that way the concern that was already raised is covered. And your "cost to compete" if you will is lowered. There will always be someone who comes up with the "better mousetrap" anyways.

Enginboy
11-25-2010, 06:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWEmY_T5ljA

Its been done before at a very similar track.

Enduro style cars would bring down the cost of competing and bring up the badly needed car counts. The Enduro rules would be a hit with the fans.
Sounds like a win win situation.