PDA

View Full Version : 20 years ago

NeetsSpectator
12-07-2010, 08:59 PM
Here is a frame grab from a video that I shot at Flemington Speedway on 5/28/90.
The cars were lined up starting at the back stretch gate and continued into turn 1.

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpeY6ZWXq_g

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsRdgi6cxjs

STU
12-07-2010, 10:09 PM
Looking at that picture, I miss two things. Giant enduro fields like that, and Flemington itself. I was only there 5 times but the track had one of the best atmospheres thier ever was in dirt track racing. Really miss it.
Thanks for the pic.

Erin C
12-08-2010, 07:34 AM
Great Pic! Thanks! :D

critter
12-08-2010, 11:49 AM
wow that had to great to be in or watch ,back when u could afford to race :(

NeetsSpectator
12-08-2010, 12:17 PM
wow that had to great to be in or watch ,back when u could afford to race :(

I don't think the zoom zoom would have survived that race. You'll see what I mean when I get some of the video uploaded. If it were a Neets race, half of the cars would have been black flagged. The #43 and a black #5 were in that race.

NJ Chick
12-08-2010, 02:10 PM
Ahhhhh......the good old days!!!! Great pic! Half the field blackflagged? It's more like the whole field would have been! Joe's head would have spun off his shoulders! There was no blackflag hardly ever used or even a red for that matter unless someone was in actual flames or on their lid! The closest I've seen to that kind of racing personally was a few years back at Riverhead.

Danger83Ranger
12-08-2010, 02:40 PM
why would anyone want to race in that? :lol:. That was when enduro events were not racing, but survival! :lol:

tbirdracer
12-09-2010, 07:08 AM
I WAS IN THAT RACE! They were very fun to race. you may not go to fast in the begining but if you made it to the end you were very proud of your self. but like today Tim was the man back then. nothing changes go figure :lol:

greenflag
12-09-2010, 11:33 AM
The dirt track version of the Flemington Fairgrounds Speedway was simply incredible! I spent many Saturday nights there in the 1980s. I don't recall a night where I left that track unhappy with the racing that I just witnessed.

There was just something about that place which made it stand in its own category. Perhaps, the great Bill Singer on the microphone, the purple pace car, flem man, and the best fried chicken at a speedway you could ever find? Fair week was something special too.

After they paved it, I went once and that was in their final season of activity. And, as it turned out, the show I attended closed with an enduro and I recall that the 43, 61, 75, and 5 were each in the race.

Flemington Speedway, what a great memory. But, my fondest memories of that track were definitely on the DIRT!

NeetsSpectator
12-09-2010, 01:48 PM
Here is part 1 of the Flemington Speedway video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpeY6ZWXq_g

NeetsSpectator
12-09-2010, 03:31 PM
I WAS IN THAT RACE! They were very fun to race. you may not go to fast in the begining but if you made it to the end you were very proud of your self. but like today Tim was the man back then. nothing changes go figure :lol:

Hey Ray, Were you driving car number 169?
If you were, you had a pretty exciting finish on the back stretch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RspPpFMtob0

ray fitzgerald
12-09-2010, 06:43 PM
What I don't understand is with all the cars and all the carnage... PETEY NEVER GOT A FLAT!!!!

richardpetey
12-09-2010, 08:07 PM
It ain't easy finishing 2nd behind you(Ray) and Timmy my whole life.................:eek:
The flat tire thing seems to be a recent malady................:rolleyes:
By the way, good job last race Ray, alittle slippery out there.................;)
UNCLE PETEY....................:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

tbirdracer
12-10-2010, 02:42 PM
yes that was me that flipped! wow i never saw the video. thank you for finding it. now let the nightmare begin. man was i young.

critter
12-10-2010, 04:48 PM
hey tbird is that what happen lol just kiddin buddy hope to race with u next season buddy ,i got the itch real bad to build me another car and soon ,hey petey maybe next season u will lose that tire night mare

racinrob43
12-10-2010, 10:30 PM
why would anyone want to race in that? :lol:. That was when enduro events were not racing, but survival! :lol:

That was the most "dirty fun" you could have with your clothes still on!

Many drivers of more expensive racecars look down their noses at enduro drivers. Funny thing is back in the 1950's they were not called enduros, they were called NASCAR!

You didn't complain about dead cars on the track back then because you didn't spend $5000 building the car and when yours got destroyed the next car was just another $100 at the junk yard.

I ran one race at Lincoln when I bought the car the day of the race, spent all day knocking out glass, welding doors, and pulling off trim. We ran out of time at the garage, so I ended up kicking out the rear window in the pits.

But like all good affordable racing, a few people convince the promoters that the racing will be better if they allow this or allow that, and/or tech inspectors ignore this or that, and now your $500/car w/ 200 cars entered is a $2500-$5000/car w/ 25-30 cars entered.

I know there are other factors, like the sudden need to crush anything with a v-8 engine (thanks Hussein).

Thanks for posting that video. That's some good entertainment.

NeetsSpectator
12-11-2010, 11:10 AM
Here's the rest of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsRdgi6cxjs

tbirdracer
12-13-2010, 08:16 AM
hey petey you never finished behind me. i never had any luck racing just once did i finish in the money-- 17th out of 302. but that was a great finish! where do you get these videos and how can i get copy. this was my dads last race. he drove the 143 car.

nobandwagonhere
12-13-2010, 09:48 AM

Hence the term ENDURO (ENDURANCE). :wave:

Thats how ENDUROS used to be. You thought you did something just by FINISHING the race! I remember Riverhead used to run 3 -100lap 100 car ENDUROS on enduro days....if you started even near the back of the field you were a lap down before you even got rolling. I used top be happy to complete more than 10 laps...lol.

art11758
12-16-2010, 01:33 PM
There were a few 200 lap deals I managed to finish in. Even got paid once. (9th) You were tired at the end of the day. Ill handling beasts on a very slick track with debris everywhere.

madbutcher666
01-18-2011, 01:12 AM
That big bumble bee car #103 was me. Any chance you have more from Flemington Enduros?

NeetsSpectator
01-18-2011, 09:18 PM
That big bumble bee car #103 was me. Any chance you have more from Flemington Enduros?

For 1988 I have 4 Flemington, 5 Nazareth, and 5 Bridgeport enduros.
I also have 5 Wall Stadium Demo Derby's for 1988.
I'm working on getting these transferred to DVD.

madbutcher666
03-15-2011, 10:50 AM
That's the first time I've seen myself racing on video. Any idea on how or who has all the Flemington Enduros on video? I lost all my paperwork on when exactly I raced and the positions I finished. I do remember my best was 8th out of 197, and I started dead last. I'm 40 years old now but I'm really hoping to get back into it at Grandview. Only problem is I don't have a car, or a trailer, or tools, or a pit crew, etc. :(

Philter39
03-15-2011, 10:07 PM
MB666 Just come on out and help someone in the pits. You can learn what you have forgotten. And have fun doing it. phil

madbutcher666
03-15-2011, 10:37 PM
I wouldn't even know who to talk to about getting in the pits during the race but I would love to help out. After Flemington closed down I kinda lost touch with the Enduro circuit since every other track was rather far from where I lived. I didn't even realize Grandview had them until last year. Toss me some info and I'll do what I can. :cool:

critter
03-16-2011, 03:26 PM
wow dave you soo will have a small little buisness goin lol wait till the critter cam comes back sales will sky rocket lol

tbirdracer
03-17-2011, 09:41 AM
mb666, when flemington went black top i stopped running enduros and i went racing something else. i had a bad wreck and had a very bad head injury. i got out or racing for a long time. then a friend of mine was racing enduros at big diamond. went to watch and got the itch again. i got a car and started racing at bd. then i tried racing at neets and been having fun at both. if you want to hang out and have fun just come watch or coming in the pits at gv. all of the drivers at gv are friendly and easy to talk to. if i am there come see me and just hang out. i drive the 2EZ.

Poppop
03-17-2011, 11:17 AM
:wave:Yea, all you need to get in the pits is some dead presidents. Then go to the registration shack and introduce yourself to Joe and the ladies and you'll know why we keep coming back. Of course the racin's kind of fun too.:lol:
Poppop

NeetsSpectator
03-17-2011, 09:09 PM
wow dave you soo will have a small little buisness goin lol wait till the critter cam comes back sales will sky rocket lol

Business? You mean I can make money selling these videos?

Sorry Critter, but all my videos are free.
Just ask for what you want and I'll do my best.

critter
03-17-2011, 09:31 PM
oh come on dave lol im tryin to make us some money , u behind the the cameras and me the star lol , u do a great job dave cant wait to get the critter and kat cam going again