PDA

View Full Version : 12/16/10 - Morgan ready for multi-car assault

RGeeProductions
12-16-2010, 09:31 PM
MORGAN READY FOR MULTI-CAR ASSAULT ON ATLANTIC CITY AND PROVIDENCE INDOOR RACING EVENTS

Timex Morgan is bringing a gun to the fight this time.

That’s how he describes the upcoming indoor Three Quarter Midget (Tqs) Car races in Atlantic City, N.J., and Providence, R.I.

Morgan has an arsenal of cars – three to be exact – ready for what will be the busiest two weeks of the winter season as the Rochester, N.Y., resident will be an entrant and owner in both the Gambler’s Classic, which is scheduled for Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, N.J., on Jan. 27-29, 2011, and the Coffee Cup, which is scheduled at the Dunkin’ Donuts Center in Providence, R.I., on Feb. 5, 2011.

“Until this year, we had the 600cc Micro Sprints and we were racing indoors against the TQ-Midgets,” Morgan said. “That’s like bringing a knife to a gunfight. Now, I feel as if we have a gun and we’re coming prepared to the gunfight.”

Preparation is an understatement.

Morgan has ace driver Joey Payne in one of his cars along with female driving star Jessica Zemken. Both will drive entries in Atlantic City along with Morgan in the third TQ-Midget entry.

Payne and Morgan will drive TQ-Midgets in Providence, R.I., and Zemken is a tentative entry dependent on her travel and outdoor racing plans.

And Morgan put an offer on the table for NASCAR Sprint Cup Series car owner and driver Tony Stewart.

“Let me just say that if Tony wants a ride, we’ll make sure he has one,” Morgan said. “I know he has several options available if he wants a ride.”

Although Stewart has not committed to participate as a driver, he did attend last year’s Gambler’s Classic in Atlantic City, N.J., and he expressed an interest in possibly driving indoors.

Morgan has become the poster boy of racing indoors.

He landed Dunkin’ Donuts as a sponsor for his racing team as a result of taking part in the indoor racing events.

And he’s represented the business well on all fronts. He fields a two seat race car that offers fans and dignitaries an opportunity to experience the thrill of racing.

“We had a great experience this past year,” Morgan said. “Thanks to Dunkin’ Donuts, we had a child, who was part of the Make-A-Wish Foundation, ride along with us. It was his thrill of a lifetime. It didn’t matter how bad out night was, and we did have a bad night, but the smiles from that child made everything go away.”

Although Morgan races outdoors, it is the indoor scene that he thoroughly enjoys.

“If it was up to me, we wouldn’t race outdoors,” Morgan said. “There is nothing like going 70 mph indoors with cars inches from you. It’s a battle of inches rather than one of feet.

“Plus, you get the regional top drivers at each event. Look at the entry list. There are guys who win in asphalt Modifieds, dirt Modifieds and so many other divisions who enter these indoor events. In think indoor racing separates men from the boys.”

Thanks to Mark Lafler of Lafler Chassis, Morgan will have his first true TQ-Midget at his disposal.

Payne drove one of the cars to victory already after claiming a division main at Wyoming County International Speedway in Perry, N.Y. Morgan was in contention of winning the Casey’s TQ-Midget Series title, but he finished second although he did claim the series Rookie of the Year title.

“It’s a big difference (switching car designs),” Morgan said. “Joey got out of his car and he said, ‘Now, that’s a race car that can win.’”

Despite it being a month away, Morgan is stoked for the best two weekends of the year.

“The adrenaline and anticipation is already building,” Morgan said. “I go back to what (multi-time Indy 500 veteran) Davey Hamilton said last year.

“He came in and asked us how we drive these things. He said Indianapolis is one thing, but this kind of racing is way harder. That was up in Providence.”

In addition to the TQ-Midget entries, Morgan is fielding a 600cc Micro Sprint Car for Ray Sands to drive in Atlantic City.

Tickets for the Atlantic City Indoor Race are currently on sale through Ticketmaster (1-800-736-1420) or online at www.ticketmaster.com (http://www.ticketmaster.com). Tickets are available with no extra fee applied at the Boardwalk Hall box office and at the Area Auto Racing News office in Trenton, N.J. at 609-888-3618
Activity in Atlantic City will begin on Thurs., Jan. 27, with paid practice from 5-10 p.m.

Weekend activity will begin on Fri., Jan. 28, at 4:30 p.m. with time trials. The night will include heat events for TQ-Midgets and B-Mains for the 600cc Micro Sprint Cars, Slingshots and Champ Karts. It will culminate with a 20-lap 600cc Micro Sprint Car main event and a 30-lap TQ-Midget feature race.

The Sat., Jan. 29, program kicks off at 5 p.m. with the Fanfest, which will be held on the indoor racing surface.

The Saturday-night portion of the show is slated to begin at 7 p.m. Heat races and semis will lead up the 40-lap "Gamblers Classic" for TQ-Midgets, with Slingshots and Champ Karts also on the schedule.

Tickets for the Coffee Cup are available at the Dunkin’ Donuts box office, online at www.ticketmaster.com (http://www.ticketmaster.com) or by calling Ticketmaster at 1-800-745-3000.

TQ-Midgets and Champ Karts will share the one-day card which begins at 7 p.m.

Jerry Reigle