PDA

View Full Version : Wease Bringing Indoor Racing Talents to Gambler's Classic in Atlantic City

LongIslandJam
01-17-2011, 03:51 PM
WEASE BRINGING INDOOR RACING TALENTS TO GAMBLER’S CLASSIC IN ATLANTIC CITY

ATLANTIC CITY, NJ January 16, 2011 . . . YouTube.

It’s a website for millions but for Billy Wease, 24, of Noblesville, Ind., he is using the Internet portal as an educational tool.

It’s where Wease is securing his knowledge to learn every angle of the indoor TQ-Midget oval that will host the Gambler’s Classic at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, N.J., next weekend.

“I’ve never driven TQ-Midgets,” Wease said. “I’ve driven 600cc Micro Sprint Cars and Midget Cars indoors before, but I have never been in a TQ-Midget.”

In fact, Wease has only ever driven in the state of New Jersey once over his storied race car career. Wease drove a Quarter-Midget Car at Wall Stadium.

Wease carries a nice list of indoor racing accolades.

In 2008, he swept both nights of the Rumble Series at the Ft. Wayne Expo Center in Ft. Wayne, Ind.

“I have the experience of racing indoors,” Wease said. “I’ve been some form of racing indoors ever since I was kid. In definitely enjoy it, because it is a challenge.”

Wease said he will drive a car prepared by two-time and defending Gambler’s Classic champion Lou Cicconi Jr. In addition to Wease, Cicconi will field a TQ-Midget entry for dirt Modified ace Danny Johnson.

Weased added that if he does well in Atlantic City, then he might follow the indoor TQ-Midget Series to the Dunkin Donuts Center in Providence, R.I., the next week.
“I know Lou and his talents of putting together a good car,” Wease said. “Lou knows what he is doing as a mechanic and as a driver.

“All I know is that you to hustle those TQ-Midget cars. A lot of doing well is staying out of trouble. I know that, but that is the nature of racing indoors. Now, for Atlantic City, it could be a whole different ballgame. At all the indoor tracks I have raced on, I never experience a wall on the inside and outside. I don’t think I’ve ever been on a track where there is an inside wall.”

But don’t think that will hold back Wease. He’s a born racer who can adapt to any situation.

The passion for auto racing is a family tradition as Billy’s father Bill raced Dirt Bikes and Late-Modifieds.

Wease began his own racing career at five years old in Quarter Midgets. He progressed to Kenyon Midgets at the age of 12 and later to full-sized Midgets at 14 years old.

At the age of 18, the Penske Racing team discovered Billy’s talent and signed him on as a developmental driver for the organization.

The year that pushed Billy Wease into the spotlight was ‘05. During this year, he was forced to run another limited schedule season. However it was anything but dull, he won four features, won numerous heat races, and set fast-lap records. The success of the season was incomparable to the news he received from Penske Racing.

The 18-year-old driver’s talent had caught the eyes of upper management in Penske Racing. Later in ‘05, Wease was signed to Penske Racing as a developmental driver.

As a developmental driver for Penske Racing in ‘06, Wease tested the Car of Tomorrow and regular Nationwide and Cup cars. Another milestone in his racing career was created when he participated in his first ACRA Series debut at Michigan International Speedway.

His talent was showcased on national television where he qualified eighth in his Kodak sponsored car. The second place finish was nothing to shun when the winner turned out to be NASCAR Sprint Cup driver David Stremme.

Wease’s race season was diversified with his limited USAC National Midget schedule with Western Speed Racing.

Within the limited schedule, he still managed to claim victories in the Gerhardt Classic and infamous Turkey Night Grand Prix.

“I would love to be the first driver from Indiana to win this race,” Wease said. “My plans are to be there for practice on Thursday and we can build from there and hopefully score a win on Saturday night.”

Tickets for the Atlantic City Indoor Race are currently on sale through Ticketmaster (1-800-736-1420) or online at www.ticketmaster.com.

Tickets are available with no extra fee applied at the Boardwalk Hall box office and at the Area Auto Racing News office in Trenton, N.J. at 609-888-3618

Activity in Atlantic City will begin on Thurs., Jan. 27, with paid practice from 5-10 p.m. Weekend activity will begin on Fri., Jan. 28, at 4:30 p.m. with time trials.

The night will include heat events for TQ-Midgets and B-Mains for the 600cc Micro Sprint Cars, Slingshots and Champ Karts. It will culminate with a 20-lap 600cc Micro Sprint Car main event and a 30-lap TQ-Midget feature race.

The Sat., Jan. 29, program kicks off at 5 p.m. with the Fanfest, which will be held on the indoor racing surface.

The Saturday-night portion of the show is slated to begin at 7 p.m. Heat races and semis will lead up the 40-lap "Gamblers Classic" for TQ-Midgets, with Slingshots and Champ Karts also on the schedule.