PDA

View Full Version : Rules Changes: NASCAR Eliminates Post-Qualifying Redraw For The Whelen Modified Tour

ShawnCourchesne
03-04-2011, 12:59 PM
Rules Changes: NASCAR Eliminates Post-Qualifying Redraw For The Whelen Modified Tour
( http://blogs.courant.com/autoracing/)

CTtoPA
03-09-2011, 08:43 PM
Next, eliminate the hours of open practice and time trials and race heats instead.

JWfor8x
03-10-2011, 05:36 PM
Next, eliminate the hours of open practice and time trials and race heats instead.

I kind of like time trials...they give me a chance to nap before there's any racing. What I really would like is not only heat races, but have them draw for starting position in the heat races. I do, of course, realize that this won't happen, but that's okay too.

ModTourMan
03-11-2011, 11:41 PM
I kind of like time trials...they give me a chance to nap before there's any racing. What I really would like is not only heat races, but have them draw for starting position in the heat races. I do, of course, realize that this won't happen, but that's okay too.

Ah, yes,...I'm with you on the time trial nap LOL. I've lost count how many times I've refreshed and recharged after the drive from Jersey!

CynthiaTork
03-13-2011, 10:17 AM
My prayers have been answered. I can't wait to spend $40-$50 at Stafford and Thompson, to see more passing in the pits. Now that's excitement.

Howie
03-13-2011, 11:13 AM
My prayers have been answered. I can't wait to spend $40-$50 at Stafford and Thompson, to see more passing in the pits. Now that's excitement.

haha. When is the last time you saw an exciting heat race? With low car counts the last few years, watching heat races is about as exciting as watching practice, and accomplishes about as much. Racing ain't what it used to be, largely due to small fields. I've always been an advocate for heats, but they don't mean much anymore, and most of the time are pretty boring also.

LiquidBread
03-13-2011, 08:55 PM
LMAO Ms. Tork! :lol: I don't know, but they work for a lot of other short track series, pavement and dirt. All things considered, heat races are better for the fans. The teams run a bigger risk of tearing up equipment, but the added live track time probably offsets with good set up data. I'm for 'em.

RIP Rick Martin.

haha. When is the last time you saw an exciting heat race? With low car counts the last few years, watching heat races is about as exciting as watching practice, and accomplishes about as much. Racing ain't what it used to be, largely due to small fields. I've always been an advocate for heats, but they don't mean much anymore, and most of the time are pretty boring also.

MJProcko
03-14-2011, 02:19 AM

Your right on Howie - the last couple of races I saw in another series who champion their heat races had 2 passes total after the initial start (yes I was counting). b o r i n g. Time trials are b o r i n g too but until there is a time were we are sending home 10 to 12 cars then all that is happening is 10-15 laps extra wear and tear minus a wreck or two.

And lets face it, if there was a sponsor for the re-draw there would be one.....

Jaws
03-14-2011, 07:37 AM

Right on Howie.We all love the old days where we had heat races because we had 20 more cars than spots but now with everyone making the races there is no need.

Goldy
03-14-2011, 09:24 AM
.. be sure to check back to Shawn's original blog entry comments - there are some really good points being made..

JustRacin'
03-14-2011, 06:23 PM
Best heat race for me, recently was watching Mr. Stefanik scratching his way into the Stafford MRS race via the consi...... outstanding... but I don't get out much....

JWfor8x
03-15-2011, 04:45 PM
Right on Howie.We all love the old days where we had heat races because we had 20 more cars than spots but now with everyone making the races there is no need.

Hmnnn...remember the tour races at Riverhead, not so long ago before the new format with heat races? How many times did Jake Marosz haul there, practice, time trial and load up for home without ever even getting to turn a lap of any kind of race? Now, they at least have a chance to try and race their way into the show. Seems better to me.

MOD11RACER
03-15-2011, 08:21 PM
I agree Howie. Heat races don't amount up to much these days. We may not like it but that's just the way it is. Not having a redraw sure didn't hurt the WSMT race @ Caraway. It was a really good race, very competitive throughout the field.