PDA

View Full Version : Star Speedway Modified Meeting a Huge Success

SUfan
03-21-2011, 06:14 PM
EPPING, NH- Star Speedway held a very successful initial meeting to welcome it's new E-Keys 4 Cars Tour-Type Pavement Modified division members this past Saturday. The meeting also served as an opportunity for competitors to voice their opinions on how the new class should be run, from rules to race procedures.

"I want all of the teams to know that this new Modified division will be run as a partnership together, between all of us," Webber Jr., revealed. "This track has been in my family for 30 years, and I want to see it return to the succesful Saturday night track that it once was, and I can't do it alone."

Twenty-Two race teams were present at the meeting, with at least two more teams who were not at the meeting, pledging their support of the return to weekly Modified racing at the Epping oval.

Twenty-five drivers have already pre-registered for the new season. Among them are popular Buxton, Maine standout David Pinkham, Jacob Dore, and multi-time Valenti Modified Racing Series Champion Kirk Alexander.

Longtime Star regulars Louie Mechalides, Eric Hudson and George Baldwin are on the list, along with second generation drivers of former Star Super Modified standouts Russ Wood Jr., Mike Douglas Jr., and Jim Lowrey Jr.

In addition to those already entered, NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour competitor Richard Savary has reserved a pit pad, and another second generation driver, Mike Ordway Jr., is frantically searching for a Modified to purchase so that he can also race weekly at the quarter-mile.

The meeting began with Webber Jr., explaining his overall vision for the Modified class, which will be his primary focus. Head Tech Inspector Pete Frappier handed out a complete list of rules, with several procedural items being discussed, and input from race teams being considered. The June 4 SBM 125 Modified "Open" event was also discussed, with feedback allowed from competitors.

"I have to say that it was one of the best pre-season rules meetings we have ever attended," stated co-car owner Anne Hannaford, who will be on hand weekly with driver Josh Cantara. "Bobby, you and Pete were sure of your rules, and when you weren't...when additional questions came up, you both handled them very well. Kudos to both of you."
The first Modified race of the season will take place on Saturday, May 14. For continuing updates on the upcoming weekly race season, and the chance to help make the SBM 125 a success with lap sponsorship, please visit our new website at: www.star-speedway.com.