PDA

View Full Version : North South Shootout moving to Myrtle Beach?

corey17
04-13-2011, 10:42 AM
Can't believe this Isn't already on here, somebody just pointed it out to me yesterday. Looks like it will be moving to somewhere in SC, I'm guessing Myrtle, bad or good move? Personally, I don't see how moving 4 hours away from already struggling Southern attendance with cars or 4 hours further South for Northern teams will help but we'll see.

I'm guessing this is the same N/S Shootout we know they are talking about on the front page?

http://www.aarn.com/

MJProcko
04-13-2011, 03:15 PM
Myrtle Beach would be a nice change.

JED
04-13-2011, 04:03 PM
The track is very abrasive and worn out. It'll eat a lot of tires.

JMB
04-13-2011, 04:31 PM
Wouldn't it be smarter to just move the date to a different one from a more appealing show 15 miles away?

Sluggo44
04-13-2011, 04:57 PM
Dont get me wrong....Myrtle Beach is a nice track...a fast track at that. But if you're gonna move the Shootout, why not take it to North Wilkesboro? I admit , I'm going to miss Concord because its close to home. Guess I better take my N/S Shootout hat and consider it a collectors item since it says Concord Speedway on it

catfish
04-14-2011, 08:04 AM
What about Dillion? That would be a good place i do believe.

corey17
04-14-2011, 09:54 AM
What about Dillion? That would be a good place i do believe.

Dillon for sure doesn't have enough seats for an event like this. If it was ran in SC it would have to be at Myrtle Beach, It's the only "big name" track in the state other than Greenville-Pickens, and i think we would be bored to death there with the mods, plus the location is not right there. The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to like this Myrtle Beach idea. I still would have went with Ace or Orange County myself but this could turn out to be a good thing, early November at Myrtle is shorts weather usually and the hotel rooms are off of the sumer rates of $120 a night to about $35 if you play your cards right. The other big race they have there every year is the Myrtle Beach 400 Late Model race and we usually get between 70-90 cars every year, but no fans. Being that the mod group of fans would be from the far North the beach might work as a great Winter vacation for this race, the Southern fans are a small but diehard group and will be there anyway along with all the teams family and friends. This may turn out to be a great move, something had to be done because Concord was just not working anymore.

Sluggo44
04-14-2011, 02:46 PM
What exactly caused the Shootout to move to Myrtle Beach? The people at Concord Speedway don't know what they're losing. You might get 20 - 30 cars a week for their weekly shows and they're lucky if 100 fans show up in the stands.

Aside from the mods...what other classes will be racing?...supermods, TBARA sprint cars, CRA taxicabs? Im sure time will tell . I just hope this move is for all the right reasons and lets hope they do some major event promoting with the local area with this.

Jill
04-14-2011, 03:23 PM
What exactly caused the Shootout to move to Myrtle Beach? The people at Concord Speedway don't know what they're losing. You might get 20 - 30 cars a week for their weekly shows and they're lucky if 100 fans show up in the stands.

Aside from the mods...what other classes will be racing?...supermods, TBARA sprint cars, CRA taxicabs? Im sure time will tell . I just hope this move is for all the right reasons and lets hope they do some major event promoting with the local area with this.

According to the article in the Area Auto Racing News:

"Kepley cited high insurance costs as the primary reason for the change of venue."

"In addition to the 125-lap Open Modified event, the weekend will also include a 125-lap CRA Sanctioned Late Model race as well."

corey17
04-14-2011, 04:26 PM
Supermods at Myrtle Beach would be dangerous, that track is huge, they were already so fast at Concord they couldn't race each other.

skbob
04-15-2011, 08:31 PM
the supers already run at Thompson in CT. a high banked 5/8 mile track & their F'n fast there.
I only remember Myrtle beach from when the Busch cars (when they were a REAL series, not Cup lite) & seeing it on TV.
Man I miss those days.

Gil
04-16-2011, 02:07 AM
Answer to the question run the race at TIS!!!

:):):)

dbr19
04-16-2011, 09:16 AM
I think moving the race further is going to result in less modifieds from the north, especially with fuel prices who knows what they will be by nov.

stoningtonmodmania
04-17-2011, 10:16 AM
From when i talked to the "BIG GUY" he said that they were lossing cars and alot of the cars that left said people were being stupid on a track this fast and they wernt going to race unless they moved the track... This could be a good move concidering the area but on the same coin it could be a bad thing because 90% of the cars they get are from the north and i dont know how many of them want to drive a couple more hours.