PDA

View Full Version : News...Good News!

CJfilms
04-18-2011, 10:10 AM
A couple of things have come out of this weekend that have proven to be on the fair side of things lately!!!

First off, a BIG THANK YOU goes out to none other than NEETSpectator for the video of turns 3/4 for the races. Erin and I have been DILIGENTLY hand scoring the races over this past weekend. Although there is some difficulty at times, for the most part we have found a couple of bugs...

Transponders...
Your problem? My problem? Who knows! That is my final answer...and I don't need a life-line... In the Small Car race, 11 transponders missed the Green Flag...placing those drivers down a lap at the beginning of the race. This does change a few things around, but be patient and we will post up the final findings of fact!

Back to the "Yous/Mine" problem...
11 missed the first lap...5 were rented, 6 were owned by the drivers. This can only mean ONE thing...drivers are NOT installing the units properly... I know it may have worked fine at other tracks...I know you have used it that way in the past, but we are asking you to do it OUR WAY NOW....

Some drivers are using the passenger side floor boards, some use the rear frame rail behind the right rear tire. I am fine with either, but I must warn EVERYONE that IF the unit becomes completely mud covered, there is a higher risk of the unit not being picked up by the scoring loop. If the unit is mounted outside of the car and becomes dislodged from the bracket, you will have to replace it! This is the last call for corrections...fix the mounting of the unit...make sure there is NO METAL under the unit...make sure the bracket is fastened correctly with rivets and/or zip ties and USE THE PIN to hold the unit in place (not a half a roll of duct tape).

Scoring on May 1st
As I mentioned above, there was some good news! We are going to triple score this race for the most accurate results.

1 - We are not going to abandon the transponders just yet...one or two more tries before that happens. If the system proves itself and works fine over the next few events...it will stay.

2 - Hand-scoring. EVERY DRIVER must provide themselves with a hand-scorer. One hand-scorer may do double duty for one car in small and one car in big divisions...but not two cars out on the track at the same time.

3 - Between NEETSpectator and I, we will devise a running video of the speedway. He usually has a camera set at turns 3/4...I will have a camera set on the start/finish line.

What does all this mean...besides Joe and Erin doing a WHOLE LOT MORE?!?!?!
1- Transponders will determine the announcers call of race happenings.
2 - Hand-scoring will determine legitimacy of drivers and crew.
3 - Video scoring will be the final judge.

IF transponders give out, we will have the hand-scoring to fall back on day-of.
IF both transponders and hand-scoring fail, Erin and I will perform a detailed review of the races and determine the outcomes.

One and only warning to ALL DRIVERS...between video-scoring and hand-scoring, if we determine there has been ANY discrepancies...the driver will be deemed disqualified. Drivers...make sure your scorer understands this...we will have a running video showing us the start/finish line...if your scorer is scoring you when you are in the pits or if you are in the infield...if you are being scored on a timed basis (i.e. Erin knows Joe is running a 19 second lap, therefore she just fills in the sheet accordingly regardless of his slower laps)....then we will thank you for coming out that day and you will receive NO POINTS...NO PURSE.

For now, Erin and I are still awaiting Gary's video to come in the mail.....since the beginning of last week, thank you postal service :mad::mad::mad: ....once it is received, we will be able to verify and complete our review and issue the final verdict on the race results.

Finally, before anyone posts anything up about all of this...please take a moment and think to yourself...is this what we want to do? Is this really how Erin and I want the races to be? Do you think we want to video-score each and every race this season...and hold payouts and trophies for a month...delay press releases...play "mickey-mouse" games all season long?
....the answer is NO.

Other tracks?
Wall Stadium is calling me and they want us there now....things ran smooth and successful in 2009 when we did run there. I want the series to return there at some point this season...more info to come....

2012?
There has been inquiries to move the series to other local speedways... There has been lots of complaints about moving...to just stay at Grandview. The biggest problem is the drivers..."count" that is! Moving to a new venue will always prove detrimental to car counts...staying where we are with things the way they are may prove to be just as detrimental... ...to be continued...at the driver's meeting!

310fig8
04-18-2011, 03:15 PM
I dont understand why mudcover on the transponder should make a big difference. The loop is buried in mud on the track?

CJfilms
04-18-2011, 03:35 PM
Transponder interference can be caused by the following:

Mud coating/covering
Improper mounting
Mounting upside down....yeah it has happened before
Signal disruption due to metal interference
Sudden jarring of the unit
Water entering the protective case
Low battery charge sending weak signal

Any of these sound familiar? The problems are more frequent and drivers ignore the tech officials requests each time.....

rgarner
04-18-2011, 04:10 PM
hey joe just to clarify things. You want to get rent a transponder and provide a hand scorer?

Philter39
04-18-2011, 10:01 PM
I wanted to ask a ? on transponder mounting. Is the prefered method with it mounted parallel to wall of track or 90 degrees to the wall of the track. Or does it not matter. I noticed the missed green flag lap for scoring. Also It seems to me that lower on the track is where the problem is.Does the video help show where the cars were running when they were not scored and if it is any groove or just in one groove on the track ? I know Rob Pyle was missed 3 + - times in the opening 5 laps. He was in the lower groove. Just an observation. Unfortuneatly my wife was not at the races and thus did not video phil

ParisiRacing44
04-19-2011, 07:37 PM
Thanks Joe for the update about Wall Speedway - Let's get there ASAP! Hope you can pull it together for 3 or 4 races there this season. Thanks for all that you guys do - it is a lot and much appreciated. I also posted in the "asphalt" section as well to keep the threads to the appropriate topic. Thanks again!