PDA

View Full Version : 05/04/11 - Jonathan Brown Aims for Championship at Bowman Gray

RGeeProductions
05-04-2011, 08:48 AM
In the past decade at Bowman Gray Stadium, only three competitors have earned championships in the GMAC
Insurance Modified Series: Tim Brown, Burt Myers, and Junior Miller. But there’s a new young gun in town that wants to join that elite club –
perhaps as early as 2011.

Jonathan Brown of Winston-Salem got some seat time during his 2006 rookie season, even leading a few laps at one point. But it wasn’t
until 2009 that Brown got serious about a full season of competition at the Stadium. That year, he won three races and finished third in the
points standings.

“We got close to the championship in ’09, we had bad luck last year, and this year I feel like it’s all us,” said Jonathan Brown. “We’ve
got us some horsepower under the hood this year.”

That horsepower was on display in qualifying sessions for the season-opening GMAC Insurance 200: Brown turned the third-fastest lap.

“Qualifying means so much over here. We made a mock qualifying run in practice and turned a really good time. I thought we had a real good shot
at the pole,” said Brown. “But I kinda messed up qualifying - I got shuffled back in the line and didn’t get to go out when I wanted to. Either
way, we definitely got something for them this year.”

The #53 car of Brown held its own throughout the GMAC Insurance 200 – finishing second and threatening to pass by Burt Myers to grab the
win. “We just sat there and rode and rode and saved everything we had,” said Brown. “When we got back going – I knew I was better than Burt after
about 3 or 4 laps. We were about a tenth better than him.”

With 10 laps to go, Brown was delivering some hard bumps to the rear of Myers – but the checkered flag was waving before Brown could make
anything happen. “Second place is better than spinning him out,” said Brown, who has his eye on the larger picture in 2011. “We want to win
races, but the big goal for us is to win the championship this season,” said Brown.

This Saturday night, Brown will have another test on his way to a possible championship. And fans can see the action for the best price
in town: it’s WSSU Motorsports Management $1 Ladies’ Night. All women get in for only one buck to see racing for the Modifieds, Sportsman, Street
Stock, and Stadium Stock Divisions. And there will be the car-crushing thrills of the season’s first 109 U-Pull-It Demolition Derby.

Gates open at 6:00 for practice, qualifying begins at 7:10, and the first race begins at 8:00 PM – this Saturday night. Ticket prices,
directions, and more information can be found online at www.bowmangrayracing.com (http://www.bowmangrayracing.com) or by calling (336) 723-1819.

Loren Pinilis