PDA

View Full Version : 05/29/11 - Modified stars will be shining at Star Speedway this Saturday

RGeeProductions
05-29-2011, 11:58 PM
This Saturday night the Star Speedway in Epping, New Hampshire will host the, "LATICRETE SBM 125" Tour-Type Modified Open, and with expected entrants from ten different states, it will be one of the more unique events in all of racing for the 2011 season.

With a purse, now in excess of $33,000 many of the best Modified race teams and drivers have already sent in official entries, with more expected during this final week. Joining event supporters LATICRETE, Hoosier, the Long Island Maniac Jim Schaefer, Exeter Decorating, Coca-Cola, EKeys 4 Cars, TJ Co., and 121 lap sponsors is Fast Track Concessions of Thompson and Star Speedway's.

Thanks to Steve Rubin from Fast Track, awards of $200 each will be presented to the highest finishing Star regular, the race team with the longest haul to the track, and the first car to cross the finish line one lap down. Another $200 will be presented as a "Tough Luck" award, voted by media members in attendance after the race. EKeys 4 Cars will pay a $250 Halfway Bonus as well.

Star is unique, because having the most money in the race car doesn't necessarily translate to success, as proven in the first Star "Open" event won by Rob Summers using an SK Modified car in 2007. Summers, who beat Jon McKennedy and Ted Christopher's number 36 WMT team that night, will return to Star on Saturday looking for a repeat trip to victory lane. Star Speedway ace Jon McKennedy knows that as well.

"I won there opening day this year on seven cylinders," McKennedy confirmed. "That proves right there that getting your car to handle, and driver ability are the most important factors to winning at Star."

Christopher filed his entry on Friday. James Civali and the Roger and Sandra Hill owned team from North Carolina entered Friday as well, and are a virtual lock for the $200 travel bonus. Ken Barry and Louie Mechalides just filed their entries yesterday.

By virtue of leading both the VMRS and WMT current standings, Rowan Pennink is a guaranteed starter for the race. Since he is using the Casella VMRS car, Ron Silk becomes a guaranteed starter at Star, for being second to Pennink in the WMT standings. The team has expressed interest in competing, but an entry has not yet been received from Silk's team.

Qualifying will start at 4:30 PM on Saturday, with Modified teams running one lap time trial runs to set the field for 10-lap heat races at 6:06 PM. The fastest five will be locked in and run a 10-lap race of their own for a $500 cash prize from Exeter Decorating, and the chance to start collecting lap money from the pole position in the "LATICRETE SBM 125". All drivers in the top ten positions are eligible to earn extra lap money on all of the 125 laps as well.

Also on the card will be the Star "Outlaw" Late Models, Roadrunners and Rookie Stocks.

The full event schedule, including practice times, will be posted Tuesday on the track web site: www.star-speedway.com (http://www.star-speedway.com). Adult admission is only $20 for this special event, with Juniors admitted at $10, and kids 10 and under free with a paid adult.

LATICRETE SBM 125 Early Entry List (as of May 28):
01- Rob Summers
05- Jacob Dore
2- Ken Barry
5- Chris Pasteryak
13- Steve Masse
23- Mike Douglas Jr.
25- Rowan Pennink
28- Dwight Jarvis
36- Ted Christopher
40- Ryan Preece
52- Doug Coby
66- Mike Stefanik
70- Andy Seuss
71- Josh Cantara
73- Jon McKennedy
79- James Civali
85- Louie Mechalides

Kevin Rice

limodmaniac
05-30-2011, 10:06 AM
Top Ten reasons to support the Star race

10 - One of the best short tracks around

9- The memories of past modified races that I saw there

8 - A chance to see Whelen Tour guy vs MRS tour guys vs Star locals

7 - I want to see who gets my money on lap 60 and 61

6 - The good friends who I know will be sitting in the stands with me

5 - The names - TC, Preece, Jarvis- Coby - Pennink

4 - I want a tshirt

3 - To see if someone takes home close to 9000 for a win!

2 - Did I mention the great racing that was at each and every modified race I've seen at Star over the last 5 years or so?

1- To support the extremely hard work of Kevin Rice. I really appreciate your efforts Kevin! Thanks to all lap sponsors who also supported the race. Now, it's up to the fans to do their part. Show your support of the modifieds! Whatever your plans are for this Saturday, I hope they include this race. It will be worth it! ( How many of you stayed home and missed the classic Solomito/ Bonsginore battle at Riverhead?) You don't want to miss out the great race that is going to happen at Star this weekend!!!

BigMac
05-30-2011, 11:58 AM
TC is bringing the 36 team? Wow, I don't recall them using the 36 in an open show before. Might we see someone else in the 00? I noticed that Vinny Who was dialing in the 12 last week at Star. I wonder if the "old man" is planning on running the big show or if he was just getting it ready for Todd. I assume David Pinkham is going to run this race. No Hirschman? I sort of figured he would be there to collect his 2008 winnings.

limodmaniac
05-30-2011, 01:31 PM
Yup, TC in the 36 car. Still hoping Hirschman will show. Could be a big money day for one of them!

SUfan
05-30-2011, 08:24 PM
Vinny said he would go if he could get some crew help. So I got him some crew help.
Matt has a tough decision between the RoC race and the chance to return to Star, a track where he has a nearly flawless success record. Some others are still unsure.
Pit admission with any tour or Star license is $35, so the back gate price is as low as any big race, if not lower.
The tires are the same as will be used for all open shows, so that is a plus.
It appears that there are now only two laps left to be sponsored if anyone would like to help finish the laps off send an email to: StarPress2011@aol.com.

SUfan
05-30-2011, 10:42 PM
It is now official that there are only two laps remaining available to be sponsored. Laps 28 and 96 are it. If you can help email StarPress2011@aol.com.

Once all of the laps are full- anyone is free to add any amount to any lap, but after Thursday it would be best to bring a check to the track with the name not filled in, so we can give it directly to the driver who earns it immediately after the race. There simply won't be time to deposit it into the lap sponsor account after Thursday.