PDA

View Full Version : star speedway

limodmaniac
05-30-2011, 12:27 PM
TC, Preece, Coby, Stefanik, Civali - sounds like a tour race to me.

Star Speedway has an open show this weekend, and with the Whelen tour off for the week, many of the drivers are going to be stopping at Star Speedway to battle it out in a 125 lap race.

Time to see the Whelen stars take on the MRS starts like Jarvis and McKennedy.

Or will a Star regular take home the big money ( like Timmy Solomito did at Riverhead just a week agao)

Come out and support this show. The winner could take home close to 9000, including lap money.

Thanks to the many people who have supported this race. .Special thanks to Kevin Rice for all his hard work.

Can't wait until this coming Saturday!!!

SUfan
06-01-2011, 12:57 AM
I can't even sleep tonight knowing now that both RoC Champion Matt Hirschman and Long Island standout Chuck Steuer will now be racing in the Laticrete 125 at Star on Saturday. That puts the list of possible race winners in this field to at least 15, with more than 20 entries now confirmed. I didn't count them up but I wonder how many hundreds of feature wins, and how many dozens of championships this field has between them.

SUfan
06-01-2011, 12:59 AM
And "Bud" from The Chrome Horn has made his lap sponsor worth $200 instead of $50. Thank you Bud!

limodmaniac
06-01-2011, 06:46 AM
It should be a great race!

SUfan
06-01-2011, 06:44 PM
Now that all of the laps are sold... Anyone who would like to add money of any amount to any lap can do so. The best way would be to email me by end of day Friday at: StarPress2011@aol.com so that we can work something out. A check with a blank name would be easiest. We can fill out the recipient name and give him the check after the race. A board will be posted at the track for any additional sponsors.
From our meeting at the track today... the plan is to pay out all purse and lap money before teams leave on Saturday night. If anyone can't wait to pick up their checks, they will be mailed to you. The lap money could take some time to figure out with so many drivers getting lap money throughout the field.

Rabbit504
06-02-2011, 12:52 PM
[QUOTE=limodmaniac;165766]TC, Preece, Coby, Stefanik, Civali - sounds like a tour race to me.

If Preece is still going, it must be in the Family Owned car.
I'm told he walked away from the 11 Tour Car.

SUfan
06-02-2011, 12:58 PM
Preece has been entered in the family owned car all along. Nothing has changed.

SUfan
06-02-2011, 12:59 PM
June 2, 2011
AUTOGRAPH SESSION AND FREE TICKET GIVEAWAY KICKS OFF RACE WEEKEND AT STAR

EPPING, NH- Doug Coby, from Milford, Conn., will be signing autographs at Exeter Decorating on Friday from 3-4:00 PM to kick off the Star Speedway LATICRETE SBM 125 festivities. The Wayne Darling owned Tour Modified will be on display as well.

At 4:00 PM Coby will draw two names from the entry box, awarding two pairs of race tickets to lucky fans, before heading to Star Speedway for a practice session, which begins at 5:00 PM on Friday. Fans will be allowed to enter the drawing up until 4:00 PM at Exeter Decorating, located just one-tenth of a mile south of exit 9 off of Route 101. The physical address is: 164 Epping Road, Route 27, Exeter, N.H.

Also on display on Friday afternoon will be Jacob Dore's car, at the Shell gas station on the corner of Route 125 and Rt 27, located one mile from the race track. Come and support Star Speedway and short track racing.

Qualifying for the big race begins at 4:30 PM on Saturday, with the main event scheduled to start tentatively around 8:00 PM. For more information log onto the track web site at: www.star-speedway.com.

mattphoto
06-03-2011, 10:04 AM
I won't sleep tonight I am to excited for this race tommorow big names great field I am very excited

JMB
06-03-2011, 11:07 AM
Does anyone know when the spectator gates open? The schedule on the Star website says gates open at 12, but I assume that applies to the pits only.

SUfan
06-03-2011, 11:25 PM
Spectator gates open at 1 with practice at 1:30. Fans added another few hundred dollars to the purse today, including Utica Mike from the Chrome Horn.

limodmaniac
06-04-2011, 12:03 PM
Today is the day! Star Speedway here we come!

BigMac
06-05-2011, 12:05 AM
Star really stepped up tonight and put together a good show. There was a lot of good driver-fan interaction. NHMS was there giving away free tickets. Thanks to the hard work of a a few they went above and beyond with the lap sponsor board. I only wish more teams had showed. This quality of an event should have drawn more than 16 teams.

limodmaniac
06-05-2011, 09:20 AM
Big thank you to Kevin Rice for all his hard work in putting this show together.

Special thanks to the 79 team for coming up from NC

Special thanks to Matt Hirschman for supporting this race. I know it wasn't an easy decision with the ROC running too.

Special thanks to the 40 team of Ryan Preece for the strawberry shortcake!

Best lunch yesterday at Jewell and the Beanstalk in Manchester,NH

Best Breakfast today at Bills Bread and Breakfast in Putnam,CT

rim runner
06-06-2011, 11:26 AM
Star really stepped up tonight and put together a good show. There was a lot of good driver-fan interaction. NHMS was there giving away free tickets. Thanks to the hard work of a a few they went above and beyond with the lap sponsor board. I only wish more teams had showed. This quality of an event should have drawn more than 16 teams.

They stepped up for the most part. Starting 1.5 hours late was the major negative of the night (more so than the low car count I thought).

If you are looking for reasons for the disappointing car count, look no further than the lack of support from the Star weekly modified teams. A race that big at their home track and less than 5 regulars show up to race - disgusting!!!

I thought the racing & crowd was good overall, and having Ben Dodge call the modified part of the show was a great idea (although the weekly Star announcer was very good as well).

McKennedy looked like a sitting duck on the lone restart when he didn't pit and with TC on fresh tires starting next to him, but he made the gamble pay off (although there might have been a different winner if the race went 130 laps instead of 125 laps).

BigMac
06-06-2011, 02:58 PM
The starting time didn't bother me. It wasn't even dark when the pre-race ceremonies began. The show was over by 9:30. The tour races at Stafford usually don't start until at east 9:30.

I agree their regulars didn't step up and help them out. Those guys coud have really added to the show. I do hope they schedule another race like this next year if they don't get a MRS race date, or even if they do get one.

CynthiaTork
06-06-2011, 03:48 PM
A few of the weekly cars I heard from balked at having to buy seven Hoosiers at $150 each ($1050), when the weekly tire is an Anerican Racer. It was $500 to start, so you're looking at a loss of $550 before fuel and pit passes. If you qualified, which obviously they would have.

uticamike
06-06-2011, 06:55 PM
A few of the weekly cars I heard from balked at having to buy seven Hoosiers at $150 each ($1050), when the weekly tire is an Anerican Racer. It was $500 to start, so you're looking at a loss of $550 before fuel and pit passes. If you qualified, which obviously they would have.

Didn't know that Cynthia, explains much. Lack of tire continuity is one reason the
ROC/MRS guys can't co mingle. Damn shame we can't get everybody on the same page.

Jaws
06-06-2011, 09:29 PM
Didn't know that Cynthia, explains much. Lack of tire continuity is one reason the
ROC/MRS guys can't co mingle. Damn shame we can't get everybody on the same page.

There was no minimum tire purchase, If you could do it with 4 thats all you had to buy.

uticamike
06-06-2011, 10:09 PM
There was no minimum tire purchase, If you could do it with 4 thats all you had to buy.

I think the point is Mike, guys running AR's don't have any Hoosiers to practise on.

While you may not "have" to buy x number of tires, if they are allowing 7 tires then

you'll need 7 to keep up. For a 1 shot deal it makes no sense to do this. Tires will

be/are the undoing of pavement racing.

Mod Squad
06-07-2011, 10:31 AM
My dad works on a crew for one of the weekly guys that run and the PRIMARY reason for not taking the car up was the tire cost. It's a lose lose scenario. While it's great the "Tour" guys showed up, the regulars would be realistically fighting for 10th and back. Not worth the money to buy tires that they can't use at Star for the rest of the season. The regulars run at Star because it's more affordable to do so. It still costs money to race, gas for the hauler/trailer to/from the track, pit passes for the crew, tires and fuel all add up. Even if you get by only spending $1000 to $1500 for the weekly show. Add another $1000 and that's a lot of investment for very little return. And that's if you don't tear the car up. The regulars don't have as much disposable income as some of the bigger Tour teams. JMHO

BigMac
06-07-2011, 11:16 AM
I think the point is Mike, guys running AR's don't have any Hoosiers to practise on.

While you may not "have" to buy x number of tires, if they are allowing 7 tires then

you'll need 7 to keep up. For a 1 shot deal it makes no sense to do this. Tires will

be/are the undoing of pavement racing.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the 73 won on 4 tires. I really don't think a 125 lap race in a bullring warrants tire changes. I think running the same tire as say the MRS series would help in the future. If not that maybe line up the same tire as the Seekonk Open or Thompson Open shows if at all possible so guys can have an opportunity to use them again. In these economic times the tracks can only help themselves by working together a little bit.
Reading the driver's comments on the front page is sounds like a lot of those guys had a good time and are willing to come back next year. I hope they do it.

CynthiaTork
06-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Running the race on one set of tires is logical. Especially if gawd forbid you get a flat. BUT you are going to practice all day, qualify and run 125 laps on the same set of tires?

Mod Squad
06-07-2011, 12:39 PM
Yes you could run on 4 tires but is it going to keep you competitetive with the rest of the field? Maybe, if you have the perfect setup, good tire managment...etc. As I mentioned before the the Star regulars who chose not to attend couldn't have used the Hoosiers anywhere else. (If they stayed at Star for the rest of the season). The team that I have knowledge of had no desire to spend the money for that particular show. More power to those who did go. It just didn't make fiscal sense for some teams whether it's 4 tires or 7 tires. Once again JMHO.

Mod Squad
06-07-2011, 12:43 PM
One other point and I'll be quiet, if you have a team that is learning the track, the setup on the car will be different with the Hoosiers vice AR's. Now that may not be a big deal to the more experienced teams but it does factor in if you're still behind on the learning curve with the car set up. The car does/will react differently to changes. Another challenge so to speak.

Racerjoe
06-07-2011, 03:27 PM
I'll be perfectly honest, my team stayed home after tough decision about this race... I really wanted to go but as stated the tire deal just didnt make sense. I know you cant make everybody happy all the time. I do think the best tire out there right now is the Hoosier 15s left 28s right that the MRS are running 2008, 2009 and 2011. I know I'm being a little bias but the tire puts the race into the drivers hands. Beat the hell out of them or conserve and be there at the end many scenarios.

MJProcko
06-07-2011, 04:34 PM
out of curiosity, if the track runs weekly on the AR tires why switch to Hoosiers for this race?

MOD11RACER
06-07-2011, 06:04 PM
out of curiosity, if the track runs weekly on the AR tires why switch to Hoosiers for this race?

If you are going to pay that kind of purse ($33,000) you need to attract fans. The only reason the crowd was decent was because of the names that came to race. The stands are empty for a regular show at Star right now. It will get better the longer they run the Modifieds weekly. Also the AR tire is junk hard as a rock and doesn't promote good racing. Star should have let the regular Modified teams run the AR tire or anyone else for that matter to help fill the field and not cost the regulars any extra money. They would have been in the way of the Tour Type Teams, but that would have made the race a little more exciting.

I'm all for adding Tour Type Modified Races (MRS,WMT), but Star needs to keep this race an open format and show the racers and fans that their is stability to running this show yearly, including paying the posted purse.

Always allow race teams to change tires or not change tires leave it up to the teams to decide. It makes for much better racing and no riding around for 100 laps and then start racing. Modifieds are made to race hard every lap from the first lap to the last lap.

BigMac
06-07-2011, 06:18 PM
Great discusion going on here. Maybe they could allow the Star regulars to run the Hoosier tire the following week or on select dates after the open show so they don't lose money. Just a thought. They have a year to tune on it. It seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to find a tire and/or tire rule that works for everybody.

SUfan
06-07-2011, 10:30 PM
Hoosier is using the same tire for all open shows this year, so to say you can't run the tires anyplace else means you won't be racing at the four Thompson races, the Turkey Derby or the Seekonk Open Show either. If Star could have run the MRS Tire, they would have, but the MRS has some exclusive deal with Hoosier on that tire. Star wasn't allowed to use the MRS tire.
I'm not saying they should or shouldn't, but if Star went to this tire on a weekly basis it would solve this issue in an instant. Either way, without the Hoosier's we wouldn't have had most of that field.
Every driver in that race was a multi-time Modified race winner. Has ther ever been another open race that you can say that about? I will take those 16 over a 24 car field and a bunch of cautions.

rim runner
06-08-2011, 11:43 AM
I'm all for adding Tour Type Modified Races (MRS,WMT), but Star needs to keep this race an open format and show the racers and fans that their is stability to running this show yearly, including paying the posted purse.

...and starting the races on time.