PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Tidman blisters to Mahoning TQ win and new track record

LongIslandJam
06-27-2011, 07:40 PM
By Dino Oberto

(LEHIGHTON, PA 6-25-11) When the ATQMRA made a return to Lehighton’s Mahoning Valley Speedway last year after a five year absence it was an awe-inspiring show with a pair of twin-20’s clicked off in a combined total of just over 6:00 minutes.
One of the drivers missing from last year’s blistering show was 23-year old Ryan Tidman of Levittown. Tidman won three times at the circular quarter mile in 2005 and also set a track record for the TQ’s during that time.
On Saturday night Tidman returned behind the wheel of the Lenny and Donna Boyd owned Spitfire 1B and made up for his 2010 absence by simply running away with dominating performance.
Starting seventh, Tidman assumed the lead on lap seven after pole sitter and early race leader Zach Martini dropped out with driveline issues while the field was under a caution.
Once out front there was no stopping Tidman as he outclassed the competition with a nearly 3-second margin of victory over Buddy Sload.
“It felt great. I really wanted to come back to Mahoning. I did a lot of go-kart racing here when I was younger and haven’t been here with the TQ in a couple of years. I love this track, it’s been good to me,” said Tidman.
Although he inherited the lead after Martini fell by the wayside he was actually ready to seize the point from him when a caution negated that effort.
As anticipated the TQ’s where turning blazing laps led by Tidman who once again regained the track record when he turned an 8.924-second lap at 100.852 mph during the feature which is the fastest ever lap ever recorded at Mahoning Valley.
“That really means a lot. Since I had the record before and I wasn’t able to run here last year when Paul Lotier set the new mark so this was a bit or redemption,” said Tidman.
“You just have to take it one corner at a time. The G-forces are incredible here with these cars. Once you get the car wound up it’s like a string with a rock on it and you just keep going and going around.”
Sload, the leading ATQMRA Rookie of the Year candidate, ran a very good race for his first ever visit to Mahoning as he took second at the finish.
Point leader Robin Johnston, defending champion Ian Cumens and Frank Fisher completed the top five.
“I have to give all the credit to Lenny (Boyd) and everyone who works on the car. We came down for early practice to see how the set-up was. We were real good and just needed to fine tune everything,” added Tidman.
“The next race here (July 9) will be on my birthday so that will be an extra incentive to go for that win.”
Heat wins went to Matt Roselli and Tidman.

TQ Midget Feature Finish, 20 Laps: 1. Ryan Tidman, 2. Buddy Sload, 3. Robin Johnston, 4. Ian Cumens, 5. Frank Fischer, 6. Matt Janisch, 7. Jeff Kot, 8. Matt Roselli, 9. Alison Cumens, 10. Austin Fehr, 11. Chad Jones, 12. Jeff Bartron, 13. Zack Martini, 14. Mark Pell