PDA

View Full Version : Frantz Nurses Third Straight Top 10

LongIslandJam
06-27-2011, 08:04 PM
After a sixth place finish two weeks prior, Paul Frantz entered this past week's event with high hopes. Paul's dad Russ, made some changes in hopes of improving the car's handling. The car was noticeably better.

Paul started the heat race fourth. He took third on the start and set his sights on the leaders. Two laps in he took second, but was overtaken at the halfway point. He would finish third.

The team discussed some changes to make between the heat and feature to help the car even more. Paul started the Associated Chiropractic/Haines Exxon #10 fifth for the 40 lap event. The race was red flagged before a lap was scored. Coming out of turn two, race leader Dean Ficarro got sideways and as Todd Baer was attempting to go by, the two got together sending Baer toward the outside wall. A few other cars were involved, but thankfully all drivers were ok.

When the race resumed, Paul found himself second in the Himmer Graphics/Brian's Auto Body car. The caution waved again after one lap, with Frantz running second to Barry Callavini. While racing for the lead, contact was made between Callavini and Frantz sending Paul up the track. Paul gathered up the car and got in line in the third position. The car was running very well and Paul stayed with the leaders. On lap fourteen, Paul was overtaken for third by ninth place starter Dave Brigati. Another caution flew on lap fifteen. The restart was not kind to Frantz. Contact between the leaders slowed the field. Frantz checked up to avoid running into the leaders and was subsequently run over by another car. Paul was forced to take the S & D Bodyline car into the pits with the right side rub rail dragging on the ground. The crew surveyed the damage and told Paul how bad it was.

Reluctant to get a dnf, Frantz went back out to try and finish. With the help of more cautions, Paul found himself back up to the fourth position. A caution with a few laps left saw Paul running fifth. Contact again between Frantz and Callavini sent Paul up the track once more and out of the top five. With the front wheels pointing towards each other, Paul nursed the car to an eighth place finish.

Frantz climbed from the car and stated:" I really thought we had a car to win tonight. The toe was knocked out on lap two, but the car was still pretty good. I don't know what happened on that restart. I saw the leaders get a little sideways so I checked up. The next thing I know I had someone on top of the car".

Paul looked over the damage, and saw how bad the car was. "We never should have been back in the top five with this car. Both lower control arms, inner tie rods, well basically all the bolt on parts of the front suspension are bent"; Frantz said.

Next for the Frantz Racing Team is scheduled for July 9th. Due to the damage and limited funds, Paul is not sure if the team will be able to make it out by then. For updated information visit www.frantzracing10.com.