PDA

View Full Version : Car Counts

Lugnuts
07-04-2011, 08:38 AM
I hope these car counts are not a sign of what is to come in the near future. As a Riverhead fan for quite a few years and having worked on a crew it saddens me to see such low car counts, especially knowing that at one time you really had to race your way into the show. A surprise to me is the mods seem to have some good fields lately.(the most costly to run) Sad to see that divisions are racing with 10, 12, 14 cars. I haven't been able to attend this year except for opening night but have been keeping an eye on the jam. I hope I can get there a time or two before seasons end, who knows whats to come. Times are tough with the economy and i am sure everyone knows that. Lets hope that Cromartys can hold on for a few more years in hopes that these bad times turn around and the car counts can increase and a racetrack can be kept here on the island.

Jaws
07-04-2011, 11:53 AM
Yes they are lower in some divisons than the past but the Mods,20= each week Legends 30 + each week and Blunderbust 20+ each week cars have had good car counts all year. The Grands always put on a good show and the figure 8's while not nearly a full fileld are growing slowly. Plus the Late Models while not a huge field are averaging 4-6 cars per week more than last year. Chargers are a bit down but TT nights they have a good field.

The old ays are gone, lets enjoy what we have! Some tracks are getting less cars on much bigger tracks.

Upcoming are some great races, the 77 lap CJ, TB, RE race in 3 weeks and the LImodmaniac (I mean Lighthouse Mission) 200 on the 30th.

iamaranger
07-04-2011, 02:15 PM
it seems like car counts are up this year in all but the chargers, but last year they started slow but finished strong, lets hope that happens again

limodmaniac
07-04-2011, 09:26 PM
Let's all try and support the upcoming tour show. It looks like we could have mid 30s in car counts. Well worth the ride out to Riverhead for this one. Cancel all other plans and make it out for a big money to win show.

racecar24
07-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Here are the average car counts for each division:
Legends-30.3 (30 if you round it off):applause:
Super Pro Trucks-13.5 (14 if you round it off):)
Blunderbusts-20.6 (21 if you round it off):applause:
Chargers-14.6 (15 if you round it off):(
Late Models-14.2 (14 if you round it off):(
Modifieds-22.6 (23 if you round it off):applause:
Figure 8's-10.2 (10 if you round it off):disgusted
Did the math myself, correct me if I'm wrong

btgoss
07-06-2011, 09:09 PM
Your math looks good, but you have to round down.
Then the numbers are still good, but I still say the problem is we have more cars in the top division than in the almost all of the support/feeder divisions.
And that ain't good.
That's like being upside down on a big mortgage, but still making the payments.... but working two jobs. At some point something is going to break.
But when that happens they will just add another division or two, maybe let the Karts run each week. Something to get people through the back gate.

Ka$h25
07-07-2011, 12:59 PM
Your math looks good, but you have to round down.
Then the numbers are still good, but I still say the problem is we have more cars in the top division than in the almost all of the support/feeder divisions.
And that ain't good.
That's like being upside down on a big mortgage, but still making the payments.... but working two jobs. At some point something is going to break.
But when that happens they will just add another division or two, maybe let the Karts run each week. Something to get people through the back gate.

The two biggest divisions are the Legends/Blunderbusts which are both considered entry-level or feeder divisions. I think part of the issue is everyone making such large jumps. Hardly anyone utilizes the middle ground divisions (chargers/trucks) everyone wants to jump directly from the feeders to the top guns. In the past few years we've seen drivers like Beatty (Legend to Mod) Nowak (Legend to Mod) Johnny Gloor (Legend to LM) Agugliero (Go karts to Mod) the Fortin kids (Go Karts to Mod) and a handful of others who aren't coming to mind.

Not that I'm to say what works and what doesn't but you look at examples like the Solomitos- who all spent some time in the Chargers before Modifieds and they're all experiencing success in the Modifieds now. Same with Bonsignore, and even Tommy Rogers before them spent time in the figure-8's.

I think it's an important step that a lot of people are trying to bypass these days.

MSK27
07-07-2011, 01:43 PM
Money being the issue you can purchase a modified for the same price or less than even the middle classes with a much better return.The cars also have been around for a long time and therefore there is an ample supply of cars in all price ranges.The problem in part is that the middle classes have started to price themselves out of existence.The trucks and the chargers are expencive to build and maintain,And are not a good opportunity for a beginner and I believe that helps lead to lower car counts and the grand enduros with there screwy schedule and enduro format may also prohibit or at least inhibit the growth of that division.Given a few more dates and the oppertunity to race on Saturdays a little earlier so as to be able to showcase themselves in front of a crowd I believe the class would thrive.