PDA

View Full Version : GranDuro Updates!!!

CJfilms
07-20-2011, 08:41 AM
First and foremost...the Pet Food Drive for the Montgomery County SPCA... We will be collecting food and supplies, however I have not heard back from Chris, the guy who runs the SPCA...last time we talked, he said there might be a schedule conflict and he would get back to me if he could be there...

IF he is not there, we're still going to collect! But, we will also try to add another collection to the August race to give them another chance to make it up..... So, if you did not already grab a bag for Sunday, no rush...we will collect again next month!

Secondly, Races for the day:
Big Car... YES
Small Car... YES
Ladies Race... MAYBE!
Vintage Mods... NO
Slingers... NO

Parking will be available THROUGHOUT the pits...no spots will be reserved for the Slingers this time around.

I am trying to reach several of the girls who compete in the Ladies Race....IF we can get at least 5 girls....we will have a race for them.... 5-FIVE-V....that's not asking too much....Come on girls! Not Punchy, I know you want to race! LOL! So far we have 3....so come on 2 more!

Race Schedule:
Pits open 8:00
Registration closed 11:45
Drivers Meeting 12:00
Small Cars - 1:00
Big Cars
Ladies Race

Here's an idea....with the scorching heat and the possibility for the forecast to be incorrect...and have a 100 degree day...

What sounds preferable?
Run 75 laps...throw a red, cars pull into the infield in order they come off the track, water break, clear the track, dampen the track, go back to racing, cars pull out of the infield in the order the pulled into the infield...pitting will cost driver 1 lap...finish the remaining 75 laps - 150 Laps Total!

Run 100 laps instead of 150...just shorten up the race length, no breaks, possible red flag to wet track down - 100 Laps Total

We'll go over all of this at the drivers meeting on Sunday, and make decisions then and there...

Wall Stadium!
things are heating up for the asphalt race too....I know a lot of our regular dirt drivers scoff at the sound of an asphalt race, however it looks to be a BIG PURSE!!! As of now, we have two sponsors for the event with a good chance of a third coming on board! So far one is throwing an extra $100 to the winner of the Big Car enduro...registrations are coming in quickly too!

ALL CURRENT NEETS CARS ARE LEGAL TO PARTICIPATE....the only changes you may have to make are listed in the rules section of the website under Asphalt FAQs... How do you belts look? Are they 10 years old and LOOK like they are 10 years old? You will need SFI-rated roll bar padding...ONE STICK for $15 is plenty.....

So, don't let the NJ rules scare you away...this is this your chance to race at Wall without making modifications for rules!!!! COME ON OUT!!!! We only have 3 races there this season....who knows, you may really like it there?!?!?!

See you Sunday!

Poppop
07-20-2011, 10:10 AM
:wave:It was that hot at Big D on Sunday and we ran the full race without any breaks. Only a couple cars over heated and after the mud was washed out of the radiators they ran fine. There was also a 25 lap ladies race with one car.:lol:

Poppop

greenflag
07-20-2011, 10:48 AM
When I worked at Big Diamond and the heat was excessive, Buddy would have a drivers meeting prior and asked the competitors how many laps they wanted to run. I never recall the drivers voting under 100-laps. They wanted to race. As a former driver and owner himself, Buddy understood the excessive heat and losing motor issue and overheating of drivers.

Racing in hot weather is another reason why I have so much respect for our area drivers. I can recall one Enduro at Big D. a few years ago when Joey Zvorsky won a 100-lapper in what had to be one of the hottest days of my time! I was standing by the pit office and the first thing he said when he got out of the car was "I'm getting too old for this sh**" lol. Phil Levering ran in both races. He was next to come over to the refreshment stand. Do you remember that day Phil? I still don't know how these guys did it.

Same goes for Sunday. Guys and gals will be there to race. They are all true racers, and def have my respect.

Philter39
07-20-2011, 10:19 PM
Yes I remember that day it was Fathers day. I won the race except for loosing a lap to the transponder scoring system. I ran over half that race with no power steering.Was credited with 4th place.Look the race up on my laps. At the red flag for car # 86 fire I was leading then after the red I was not. Mazda placed 11th. Clutch broke with 15 laps to go. When I am racing I zone out things like heat,cold,injuries. Just drink and eat enough before the race. And go have fun. phil

CAPTAIN
07-21-2011, 11:45 PM
Why dont we just race the 150 laps as advertised. If you do not have your car ready for 150 laps then stay off the track. No water trucks at 75 laps, unless it is needed. All that water truck does is screw up the whole damn race. This is an enduro, and it should be treated as such. We go to the track to race, not talk about what we should do. I have seen talk here about more blown motors because of the heat. I have not seen more than 200 degrees this year at all at grandview, i have my car set up so i do not over heat. If you do your homework, you'll do fine. Good luck, and thats all i have to say!!!!! #70 out!!!!

DPORCR312
07-23-2011, 12:48 PM
I'm with chuck on this one... RUN IT

CJfilms
07-23-2011, 11:25 PM
Glad to hear some input! I like the way you think Chuck!

I'm fine with running the full 150 laps as advertised...you know me I prefer to run what we say we are going to run....

As for the heat, there's not much we can do about it....we'll have water in the infield if you get hot... IF YOU FEEL SICK PULL OFF THE TRACK!!!!!

As for Kenny's water truck extravaganza.....we'll only pull out the mechanical monsoon if the TOWER cannot see the cars....that's why we usually have to wet'r down...

Now all we need is a surprise visit from Uncle Petey....that'll surely bring out a thunderstorm or twelve....

Poppop
07-24-2011, 08:26 PM
:wave:First off, congratulations to the winners, you guys deserved it. There was a lot of good clean racing and the track was in pretty good condition. A little water near the end of both 150 lap races wouldn't have hurt but I only had two tear offs left and probably would have died if I had to sit on the track another ten minutes.:lol: Also, special congratulations for Linsey doing double duty and not breaking anything. Way to go! :cheers:

Poppop