PDA

View Full Version : 07/23/11 - Timmerman returns to Spencer Speedway victory lane

RGeeProductions
07-23-2011, 02:52 PM
Kevin Timmerman made his second visit to NASCAR victory lane in 2011, not having won at the track since June 3. By this win Timmerman closed the track points gap on points leader Mike Leaty to just eight points.

“Mike (Leaty) was right last week, restarts are the key to winning here,” stated Timmerman in victory lane. He then added, “I leave for a friends wedding tomorrow morning, so I’ll miss this year’s RoC race.”

In NASCAR Super Stocks, Kris Hillegeer made it back-to-back feature wins at Spencer. His victory was extra sweet this Friday.

“My wife and I had a new baby boy this morning at 1:30 a.m. , Eli David,” stated an elated and tired race winner. “My wife said she wanted me to go racing tonight.”

In Super Six action the top two from last week, simply reversed themselves this week. Tim Faro took home his second feature win of the year at Spencer. “I have to thank Brandon Allen. We work together on these cars all week.”

In Auto Value Scorpion action Alison Knoepfler crossed the finish line first, but was penalized two spots for contact with the race leader, Kevin Bertolone on lap 12. This placed Mike Bradshaw in first.

“I am just speechless,” stated Bradshaw. “When I saw Alison and Kevin come together I knew I had to keep my foot in it.”

The 35-lap Sunoco Modified feature got off to a slow start when Fred Taylor looped around on the first lap between turns one and two. He would later, lap 4, repeat the same move, both times bringing out the yellow.

While running fifth, Toad Bradshaw saw his race go awry on a lap five restart. He bogged down. At the same time Mark Cline made contact with the fourth turn wall.

Up front Timmerman was in command of the race followed by Daryl Lewis Jr., Dave Catalano and Mike Leaty.

On lap 15, Andy Lewis spun exiting the second turn to bunch the field together again. This time Mike Leaty was besides Timmerman for the restart. Timmerman was able to hang onto first with Leaty second and Dave Catalano in third.

The yellow showed up one more time, lap 21, when John Semmler slowed exiting the fourth turn down the front straight.

Timmerman continued to dominate the restarts and held on for the victory. Leaty, Ed die Hawkins, Dave Catalano and Amy Catalano rounded out the top five finishers.

“My car really was getting light,” stated Timmerman. “If Mike had just got around me the race would have been his.”

The 20-lap Super Stock feature went green-to-checkered with out any yellows. Billy Gleason led the first lap, only to be passed by Kris Hillegeer. Hillegeer never looked back and drove home with the victory. Gleason, Mitchell Wright, Tom my Catalano in a street stock, and Brandon Larner rounded out the top five finishers.

Following a yellow for a accident by the front row starters, Rick Wilson and Ryan Hillegeer, in the first turn, Brian Hallett took the lead at the drop of the green in the 20-lap Super Six feature.

Tim Faro was on the move. Faro took second from Peter Cowell on lap four. At that same time the yellow flew when John Welch and Wilson came together again in the first turn, to bring out the second yellow of the race.

Faro then out dragged Hallett, to led of the race. The race would remain green to completion, with Faro taking his second feature win in three weeks. Hallett finished in second followed by Peter Cowell, Ryan Hillegeer and Van Grant to round out the top five.

Russell Peets was the early leader from his pole starting position in the Auto Value Scorpion division’s 15 lap feature. The race would also go green-to-checkers without any yellows.

Peets loss the lead to second place Kevin Bertolone on lap six. Bertolone would lead the race until lap 13, when the controversial move of the race occurred. On that lap second place Alison Knoepfler made contact with Bertolone, sending Bertolone back to third behind second place Mike Bradshaw, resulting in Knoepfler taking the lead. Knoepfler held on to take the checkers only to be placed back into third behind Bertolone who was credited with second. Bradshaw as declared the winner. It was Mike’s third win of the year in the Auto Value Scorpion division.

Mike’s father Grant Bradshaw was interviewed also in victory lane. He stated,” The whole family feels great about this division. We are having a lot of fun.”

SPENCER NOTES: Two bicycles will be given away to kids participating in the Kids’ Bicycle races this coming Friday. The names of all of the kids participating will included in the drawings.…Fans can still use their ticket stub as a two dollar off coupon for the next race night at Spencer….Jim Steffenhagen Jr. is expected to return this coming Friday after the passing of his mother.

Racing resumes at Spencer on Friday, July 29, with the Legend Cars joining a full program of racing in all divisions. The Super Sixes will be vying for double points on that night. Also a special appearance of the Atlantic Coast Old Timers Club is also scheduled to take place featuring the old “champ cars” of the past.

The night starts off with the Kid’s Bicycle Races at 7 p.m. . NASC AR race time will be 7:30 p.m. sharp. For more information go on Spencer Speedway go to www.spencerspeedway.org.

Spencer Speedway is located just fifteen minutes east of Rochester , NY , along Route 104 in the Town of Williamson . Spencer Speedway is the local “ NASCAR Place to Race” for Central New York.

NASCAR WHELEN ALL-AMERICAN NIGHT SUMMARY

AUTO VALUE 4-CYLINDER SCORPIONS
HEAT 1: M. Bradshaw, Z. Willis, R. Peets, J. Clark, D. Bradshaw.
HEAT 2: O. Bradshaw, A. Knoepfler, K. Bertolone, B. Dennie, D. Lazzaro
FEATURE (15-laps): MIKE BRADSHAW, Kevin Bertolone, Alison Knoepfler, Russell Peets, Otis Bradshaw, Zach Willis, Joe Clark, Beth Dennie, Dave Bradshaw, Austin Montgomery, Dale Lazzaro, Richie Gross, Andrea LaManna, DNS: Bro Bradshaw

HOOSIER TIRE SUPER SIXES
HEAT 1: P. Cowell, B. Allen, R. Wilson, E. Ruffell, B. Malin.
HEAT 2: B. Hallett, T. Faro, R. Hillegeer, A. VanHall, V. Grant.
FEATURE (20-laps): TIM FARO, Brian Hallett, Peter Cowell, Ryan Hillegeer, Van Grant, Brandon Allen, Adam VanHall, John Welch, Eric k Ruffell, Bill Malin, Troy Youngs, Rick Wilson.

SUPER STOCKS
HEAT: B. Gleason, K. Hillegeer, M. Wright.
FEATURE (20-laps): KRIS HILLEGEER, Billy Gleason, Mitchell Wright, Tom my Catalano (Street Stock), Brandon Larner.

SUNOCO MODIFIEDS
HEAT 1: T. Bradshaw, A. Catalano, B. Lippa Jr., E. Hawkins, M. Lees.
HEAT 2: K. Timmerman, D. Catalano, M. Leaty, D. Lewis Jr., F. Taylor.
FEATURE (35-laps): KEVIN TIMMERMAN, Mike Leaty, Ed die Hawkins, Dave Catalano, Amy Catalano, Daryl Lewis Jr., Bobby Lippa Jr., Andy Lewis, Jake Boerman , Matt Lees, Scott Combs, John Semmler, Toad Bradshaw, Mark Cline, Fred Taylor, DNS: Chris Finocchario.

Gary M. Spaid