PDA

View Full Version : the 50th Nascar Whelen Tour Race at Riverhead!

limodmaniac
07-26-2011, 09:37 AM
Not enough said on this subject... Saturday will be the 50th running of the Nascar Whelen Tour at Riverhead. With that thought, and few days left, we appreciate your support, whether it be financial or just showing up for the show. With number 50 right around the corner, might be a good time to post your memories of your favorite tour race at Riverhead from the past.

JWfor8x
07-26-2011, 12:13 PM
Not enough said on this subject... Saturday will be the 50th running of the Nascar Whelen Tour at Riverhead. With that thought, and few days left, we appreciate your support, whether it be financial or just showing up for the show. With number 50 right around the corner, might be a good time to post your memories of your favorite tour race at Riverhead from the past.

For me, it's easy. I've been a fan of the Brunnhoelzl family of racers since as long as I can remember racing, so how could it be any other tour race than Eddie Brunnhoelzl Jr.'s win in 1995? Answer, it couldn't. He was the last Riverhead regular to win one of these races and it was a lot easier than for the regulars to race the tour race than it is now, but with Bonsignore running both the tour and Riverhead, maybe this is the year that ends. We'll see.

TMAC
07-26-2011, 12:41 PM
I remember when the first time tour came to riverhead,summer of 85.Left work to get there early and watch practice/like i lived in another state didnt want to be late,i laugh just thinking about that.Was pulling for the long island gang.But! when magic shoes came out in the coors car,that car was sweet looking!Wish they were still racin wednesday night instead of sat.And the winner WAS.......ANYONE KNOW? I BET MOST KNOW,just want to see who writes what.It was a great night of racin and glad its not on the spring dover race anymore....in all the years its been coming to town i think i missed 2 .Hows that..

outlawfab
07-26-2011, 12:50 PM
jimmy spencer

limodmaniac
07-26-2011, 05:19 PM
havent missed any of them! A Wednesday night race would be great to have again! Hated Spencer!

And though I loved seeing 8x win, I think the race that put me over the edge was the one he almost won in 1992. Got the lead going around Stefanik, and then unfortunately Stefanik got back around Eddie with a few laps to go. Actually brought me to tears, I was so excited watching it!

JWfor8x
07-26-2011, 05:43 PM
havent missed any of them! A Wednesday night race would be great to have again! Hated Spencer!

And though I loved seeing 8x win, I think the race that put me over the edge was the one he almost won in 1992. Got the lead going around Stefanik, and then unfortunately Stefanik got back around Eddie with a few laps to go. Actually brought me to tears, I was so excited watching it!

Jimmy Spencer...I have two vivid memories of him. The first time was at Islip, I don't remember the year. It was the first time that I had ever seen him race and my mother said to me that she thought he would make the big time. The other was at Thompson, I think the 1984 300 when Richie Evans tried anything and everything to get past him but had to settle for second place. That brings me full circle to Riverhead in 1992. That's the only Riverhead tour race that I have missed as my mother's wake was held that night. Until right now, I never knew how Eddie had come in second...wow!

BOWATCHER
07-26-2011, 09:16 PM
Very surprised not too hear the name Ewanitsko mentioned. Mike was the Show!!!!

Jaws
07-26-2011, 09:50 PM
Very surprised not too hear the name Ewanitsko mentioned. Mike was the Show!!!!

Who could forget one of Mikes last tour races at Riverhead, he didn't win but after going to the rear about 4 times he passed more cars than everyone else combined!

Teds Race Tours
07-26-2011, 11:42 PM

I remember talking to you about this race at the Motorsports Shop in Polish Town in what I believe to be our 1st ever conversation.

TMAC
07-27-2011, 12:25 PM
How about the night Tom Bolles mod[#1,pink and white] done blown up or lost an oil line goin into turn one.What a flame show,have a pic of it, once i find it,i will post it.Nasty!

limodmaniac
07-27-2011, 05:05 PM
Will the cash payout of the 50th Tour Race at Riverhead = $50, 000?

Will the winner take home $10,000?

Doing the math again, including the 22,727 from the purse, nascars 8100, lighthouse missions 500 and our 17,828 - the cash payout is a neat $49,155 - or just $845 away from $50,000 !

SUfan
07-27-2011, 09:31 PM
Who could forget one of Mikes last tour races at Riverhead, he didn't win but after going to the rear about 4 times he passed more cars than everyone else combined!

It will be an honor to be there Saturday with Mike to present the $700 "Mike Ewanitsko Race Fans Hard Charger Award presented by Laticrete". This won't be simply to the driver who gains the most positions. It will go to the driver who was "the show" while passing cars in the process- as voted on by the fans. So whoever gains the most positions, please don't be looking for a hand out. You have to earn this money.

limodmaniac
07-28-2011, 09:39 AM
Last Chance

Today, July 28 at Noon is the last chance to officially donate to the Riverhead Tour Race. Everything goes to print at that point. Any donations collected at the track Saturday will be split between the 2nd and 3rd place finishers of the 175 lap feature. The winner of the race, if he sets fast time and leads every lap will take home over 10,000 dollars!

right now:

Every Modified Driver will receive $300 to show up.

1st place - 7100 ( 2600 purse, 300 Lighthouse Mission, 500 Whelen, 300 Sunoco, 300 show money, and 3100 in victory lane from the fans)

2nd place - 2650 (1900 purse, 150 lighthouse mission, 300 Ken Massa, 300 show money)

3rd place - 2150 ( 1600 purse, 50 lighthouse mission, 200 Ken Massa, 300 show money)

Mike Ewanitsko Hard Charger Award by Laticrete- $700 (to be presented by Mike Ewanitsko - $500 from Laticrete, $100 from Mike's Dad and $100 from ModFan99)

19th place - bonus of $120 (Thanks Rob Bader and Blunderbust team #19 - Jimmy Denis, Jim Laird, Johnny Cricchio)

Heat Race Winner - $500 ( $250 Chris Buchman, $250 Schaefer Stars)

Lap Money - $270 for the heat and $2388 for the feature. - Thanks to all and especially Christine Healy!

Doing the math again, including the 22,727 from the purse, nascars 8100, lighthouse missions 500 and our 18,078 - the cash payout for the 50th Whelen Tour Race is a neat $49,405 - or just $595 away from $50,000 !