PDA

View Full Version : Thompson

TourFan Ed
07-28-2011, 10:25 PM
A question about the Thompson race. I know in the past a southern tour license was quite a bit cheaper than the northen one. If that is still the case does anyone think some drivers that have run the tour in the past may try to run the south race. Drivers that come to mind are Rob Summers any of the Pasteryaks Jimmy Kuhn.

Gil
07-29-2011, 01:47 AM
Do any of them have cars that qualify and/or Southern tour licenses?

limodmaniac
07-29-2011, 08:48 AM
Just cancel the idea and make a North South Combo 300 lap race! My fear is that there will be hardly any cars travelling up from the south.

Mod Squad
07-29-2011, 10:58 AM
Being a native New Englander and living down in the "South" now. I've been to several of the Southern shows at Caraway, Friendship (when it was asphalt), Concord, Martinsville, Langley. From what I've heard at those tracks, (in the pits and the stands). It's too far and costs too much. I'm going to throw a high number guess of eight cars making the trip to Thompson. I don't agree with the logic of their reasoning because the fact that the Northern guys have to haul to Canada, Bristol and everywhere else trumps that. Let the "money spent argument" begin. JMHO

BigMac
07-29-2011, 11:03 AM
I agree. The WMT tour has had short fields all year. The VMRS has drawn less than 20 cars for 2 of the last 3 races. Now we expect a North Carolina series to bring a full field at the end of the season. No way. I'm not much interested in watching a bunch of northern guys run under the label of a southern tour either. You add the fact that its the 10th anniversary of 9-11 and the opening day of the NFL season and you have to wonder how the crowd will be. I guess it helps that the Patriots aren't playing that day.

burtmyers1
07-29-2011, 11:54 AM
Right now its probably looking like Burt and Jason Myers, LW Miller, John Smith, George Brunnhoelzl III, and Andy Suess. Are the Hills still racing on the WSMT? They weren't at Caraway in July so I imagine they would run the WMT 125. Outside of those guys, your guess is as good mine.

limodmaniac
07-29-2011, 02:03 PM
You would think the people who plan these things might check with the drivers to see if this is a doable objective. Right now, it looks like a big flop. Sure I'd love to see it work, but if it sound like the idea isn't a good one, then maybe, just maybe , you want to change your idea so it is a success. I give Thompson credit for coming up with an original idea... but....

wmass01013
07-29-2011, 06:13 PM
I agree Jim, ever since this was announced i give crdit for the try but if u get 8 cars it will be a surprise, now 125 laps with 8 cars and then a shootout with north for BIGGGGGGGGGG MONEY? not at Thompson!!!!!

i liked the mod mania idea just roc guys didnt support the race at all

again HOENIG is being stuborn about the pole, outside pole qualifiers and time trialing to have a 300

would a 300 paying GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD MONEY AND LAP MONEY with some PROMOTION WORK BETTER than this idea?????????

Gil
07-29-2011, 06:39 PM
Still hard to believe that cars from the North go South to race, but cars from the South can't figure out how to drive North!!!!!!

:(:(:(

worm
07-31-2011, 09:06 AM
what are they thinking ,this will not work. they do not travel in there own state.

Sluggo44
07-31-2011, 11:23 AM
Right now , the only cars I see as a definite for the Thompson race would be

1 , 4, 09, 11, 36

maybe :

7, 8,12, 23, 31, 40

No

If I failed to mention any other cars here, can someone fill in the blanks

burtmyers1
07-31-2011, 02:36 PM
Right now , the only cars I see as a definite for the Thompson race would be

1 , 4, 09, 11, 36

maybe :

7, 8,12, 23, 31, 40

No

If I failed to mention any other cars here, can someone fill in the blanks

As I stated earlier the 25 of John Smith, which you left out, I believe will make the trip as he is in the top 5 in points. The 7 of Thomas Stinson, I forgot about. He did say earlier in the year that he wanted to run for points so I guess he would make the trip as well. Frank has traveled far in the past so it wouldnt surprise if he went as well.

Sluggo44
07-31-2011, 04:31 PM
I also forgot to mention the 02, 2, 77 and 80. The 77 would probaly be a no show and the 2,02,80 would be maybe

worm
07-31-2011, 07:05 PM
flop flop flop

NC Mudcat
08-01-2011, 01:23 PM
the southern drivers should all agree to not go. Just doesn't make sense. If no one goes, it won't matter to the points.

Gil
08-02-2011, 01:31 AM
Kind of like I own the bat and you can't use it!!!!

worm
08-09-2011, 02:19 PM
what do you think 150,000 total. if so the 300 should be back in

wmass01013
08-09-2011, 03:28 PM
what do you think 150,000 total. if so the 300 should be back in

WEBSITE say over $160,000 Total http://www.thompsonspeedway.com/index-tis.htm

Now will anybody see the breakdown?

WILL THAT MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE on how many show

Hillbilly79
08-09-2011, 06:54 PM
There will be a 79 in the northern race and southern race!

worm
08-09-2011, 07:18 PM
not the same driver i bet

burtmyers1
08-09-2011, 10:54 PM
Before the Stadium race in the driver's meeting, Nascar discussed this race. The biggest question from the drivers was how the money was going to be handled. Nascar's answer was basically "some things still have to be worked out." All Nascar wanted out of the meeting was a head count and told the Southern drivers that do show up, they will be guaranteed a starting spot and guaranteed money. The driver's big concern was a Northern driver coming in (ROC or MRS) and taking the Southern race's money on their track. Mr. Hoenig has stated he wants this race to be the future of Modified racing on the East coast and he would do anything to make sure the Southern drivers get fair treatment.

Jaws
08-09-2011, 11:24 PM
Before the Stadium race in the driver's meeting, Nascar discussed this race. The biggest question from the drivers was how the money was going to be handled. Nascar's answer was basically "some things still have to be worked out." All Nascar wanted out of the meeting was a head count and told the Southern drivers that do show up, they will be guaranteed a starting spot and guaranteed money. The driver's big concern was a Northern driver coming in (ROC or MRS) and taking the Southern race's money on their track. Mr. Hoenig has stated he wants this race to be the future of Modified racing on the East coast and he would do anything to make sure the Southern drivers get fair treatment.

"The future of modified racing"? What qualifies you as a Southern driver? With the 10 or 12 cars that may show up they better hope some ROC or VMRS cars come race. 125 laps for 12 cars it not going to be very exciting.

wmass01013
08-10-2011, 05:53 AM
"The future of modified racing"? What qualifies you as a Southern driver? With the 10 or 12 cars that may show up they better hope some ROC or VMRS cars come race. 125 laps for 12 cars it not going to be very exciting.

My guess is that with Burt Myers excitement at Thompson when he came to icebreaker 10 Hoenig thinks bringing in MORE MADHOUSE stars will mean more excitement and people at his track.

Jaws
08-10-2011, 08:36 AM
My guess is that with Burt Myers excitement at Thompson when he came to icebreaker 10 Hoenig thinks bringing in MORE MADHOUSE stars will mean more excitement and people at his track.

Ok so lets have Jr. Miller and Burt have at it... Then you have a madhouse! Lets make a Youtube moment.

Mod Squad
08-10-2011, 11:10 AM
The driver's big concern was a Northern driver coming in (ROC or MRS) and taking the Southern race's money on their track. Mr. Hoenig has stated he wants this race to be the future of Modified racing on the East coast and he would do anything to make sure the Southern drivers get fair treatment.

A Northern driver? Are George Brunnhoelzl III, Andy Suess and LW Miller really considered "Southern" drivers? (all have roots in the Northeast Mods) Don't drivers want to race against the best competition?

More power to any MRS or ROC team that wants to pay the Tour Series license fees to get in to the race. I still think only 8 will show up from "The South".

As far as "taking the Southern race's money on their track" I guess that's the same as the 7NY coming in and cherry picking all the big money events the last two years. The Northern Tour teams have trekked down South for years, South Boston, Martinsville, Bristol, Concorde (for Non-Tour shows). For the most part they've faired pretty well. If the Southern teams want to play with everyone else come on up.

Do I agree with what Thompson is trying to do? I can see the idea behind it, but the current economy and the impending lack of support from the Southern teams are two things keeping this from becoming what it COULD be. A great weekend of racing. JMHO

burtmyers1
08-10-2011, 01:52 PM
From what Hoenig has said, I don't think there is any milking of the tv show or any wanting of Bowman Gray nonsense. Hoenig wants this race to be the biggest thing in Modified racing since the real Race of Champions at Pocono or Trenton. I believe his words were "North vs South Shootout." So down the road, this race has potential to be something special if it can get off the ground

While Brunnhoelzl, Suess, and LW are Northern rooted drivers, they are Southern Tour drivers. Mod Squad, you are exactly right with the comparison to the 7NY. With so much money on the line to Southern drivers, if Les Hinckley or Jon McKennedy came in and won the South race, no one would from down here would come back in 2012.

After the meeting, the car count right now looks like this: Burt and Jason Myers, George Brunnhoelzl, Andy Suess, LW Miller, John Smith, Tim Brown, Mike Norman, Austin Pack, Derrick Hill with Frank Fleming, Thomas Stinson, and Jonathon Kievman as questionable.

Mod Squad
08-10-2011, 02:41 PM
Mod Squad, you are exactly right with the comparison to the 7NY. With so much money on the line to Southern drivers, if Les Hinckley or Jon McKennedy came in and won the South race, no one would from down here would come back in 2012.

I understand what they are thinking but I don't agree with it. Already race officials are NOT letting the Northern Tour Drivers run in the Southern race. So how many more concessions need to be made to accommodate the Southern drivers? Are they paying the same pit fees and license fees? Do they have the same rules on pit road? You mentioned Hinckley and Mckennedy but what if Keith Rocco or someone else shows up in a Tour Mod and wins? Will this way of ”leveling the playing field” become the norm? It took several years for a Southern driver to win on their "Home" track at Concord during the North South Shootout era but they did it. I would think if one of them did win they would want the win to be against the best drivers out there. I guess I just don't get the mentality.

If I were fortunate enough to be a driver or team member on either Tour I would want to compete and win against the best out there, if I don't then I go home and do my homework and do it again. We don't know what the 7NY team was doing last year but I guarantee every team that wanted to be competitive with them in 2011, spent more money, and did more homework to try and beat them. Sometimes that's a good thing, this time it wasn't…how many blown motors at NHMS...six? I guess the whole thing goes back to the point of why didn’t the powers that be think of all of this in the first place? If we as lowly fans and lovers of the Modifieds can see what’s going on why can’t Daytona? JM very HO

burtmyers1
08-10-2011, 03:13 PM
I understand what they are thinking but I don't agree with it. Already race officials are NOT letting the Northern Tour Drivers run in the Southern race. So how many more concessions need to be made to accommodate the Southern drivers? Are they paying the same pit fees and license fees? Do they have the same rules on pit road? You mentioned Hinckley and Mckennedy but what if Keith Rocco or someone else shows up in a Tour Mod and wins? Will this way of ”leveling the playing field” become the norm? It took several years for a Southern driver to win on their "Home" track at Concord during the North South Shootout era but they did it. I would think if one of them did win they would want the win to be against the best drivers out there. I guess I just don't get the mentality.

If I were fortunate enough to be a driver or team member on either Tour I would want to compete and win against the best out there, if I don't then I go home and do my homework and do it again. We don't know what the 7NY team was doing last year but I guarantee every team that wanted to be competitive with them in 2011, spent more money, and did more homework to try and beat them. Sometimes that's a good thing, this time it wasn't…how many blown motors at NHMS...six? I guess the whole thing goes back to the point of why didn’t the powers that be think of all of this in the first place? If we as lowly fans and lovers of the Modifieds can see what’s going on why can’t Daytona? JM very HO

I completely agree 100%! Hinckley and McKennedy were just examples, but Rocco would be the perfect candidate for the invader role for the South race. You could throw Ryan Preece in there as well. If you ask me, Nascar has "leveled the playing field" for too long. In every combo race, it seems like there has always been a rule in place to make it easier for the Southern teams. The problem is not wanting to run with the Northern guys as I know for a fact that if Burt could do it, he would run the full WMT schedule. Its just that our guys will have spent so much money just getting there and only to have it taken away by some one is what really bothers the drivers.

Jaws
08-10-2011, 04:58 PM
if you want this to be a real race of Champions all drivers should be there ROC, VMRS and the guys fro Riverhead, Monadnock, Star, Bowman Gray...all of them.

Hillbilly79
08-10-2011, 06:35 PM
I am not driving at Thompson but I believe the driver is a national champion. GUESS?

worm
08-10-2011, 07:16 PM
jerry marquie

limodmaniac
08-10-2011, 08:14 PM
Reggie Ruggerio? oh wait, not a national champ... well still a good idea

Hillbilly79
08-10-2011, 09:05 PM
Wrong answers he is a big time SK winner at Stafford and Thompson and his nickname is "KID ROCK"!

Sluggo44
08-11-2011, 05:57 AM
Let me guess...Your're putting Keith Rocco in the other Hills car to run under the Southern banner.

MJProcko
08-11-2011, 07:49 PM
I was thinking the Hills might give Corey lajoie a chance to run in front of the home crowd but I think keith or Reggie would be much better choices.

Magicshoes12
08-12-2011, 12:50 PM
Put Rick Fuller in a southern car...i think he knows his way around that place a little LOL

RacnJason00
08-12-2011, 10:53 PM
Put Rick Fuller in a southern car...i think he knows his way around that place a little LOL

That would be awesome!!:):)

limodmaniac
08-27-2011, 12:53 PM
From what I know, the purse sounds pretty good, for both tour races and the showdown.

wmass01013
08-28-2011, 08:37 AM
13 southern cars at caraway friday nite including renee dupuis

hmmmmmmmmmm

NC Mudcat
08-29-2011, 01:13 PM
13 southern cars at caraway friday nite including renee dupuis

hmmmmmmmmmm

It will be better next year with NASCAR gone. SMART anyone?

JinxNC
08-30-2011, 09:12 PM
It will be better next year with NASCAR gone. SMART anyone?
BINGO!!!! Thank you Mudcat! Don't believe it?????? Watch and see how many southern entries there is at the NSS in November....

wmass01013
08-30-2011, 09:23 PM
SHOOTOUT PURSE

36 CARS?

WILL THAT MANY
SHOW UP? 26 NORTH 10 SOUTH?

http://www.thompsonspeedway.com/purse/ShowdownPurseStructure.html

RacnJason00
09-01-2011, 07:34 PM
for each 125 Mod race it pays

1. $5,000
2, $2,500
3. $2,000
4. $1,500
5. $1.450

then from 6th- 15th the difference is 50 bucks.
From 16th-22nd pays $1,000
23. $800 and falls off to $50 difference to 29th
and 30th pays $685

For the 50 lap SHOWDOWN

winner takes $15,000
2. $5,000
3. $3,000
4. $2,500
5. $2,000
6, $1,850
7. $1,600
8. $1,500
9.$1,450
10.$1,400
11. $1,350
12. $1,300
13. $1,250
14.$1,100
15.$1,000
16.$800
17. $700
18th to 25th there is a difference of 25 bucks
and 25th to 36th pays $500

each team is allowed 8 tires for the 125's and they can buy 4 more if they choose for the 50 lapper

Hope this helps and anymore question, let me know. i have the entry blank in hand