PDA

View Full Version : Riverhaed Raceway ????

Rich Mergl
07-31-2011, 12:17 PM
Good Grief how did they run out of BEER last night???

Jaws
07-31-2011, 01:04 PM
Good Grief how did they run out of BEER last night???

Biggest crowd for a tour race in many many years. The place was packed.

Rich Mergl
07-31-2011, 01:37 PM
Biggest crowd for a tour race in many many years. The place was packed.

I do agree 100% and it was a great race in the 10 positions

Gravel
07-31-2011, 02:29 PM
I don't know. 100 Caution laps??? Average speed of 34mph??? Doesn't sound like an exciting race to me. I thought that caution laps weren't supposed to count???

ACNYPhoto
07-31-2011, 02:40 PM
I don't know. 100 Caution laps??? Average speed of 34mph??? Doesn't sound like an exciting race to me. I thought that caution laps weren't supposed to count???

It was a good race, to my knowledge and I'm sure someone knows more than I do the race got red flagged when a spotter went down in the stands. The Whelen official down by me in turn 1 commented that that one of his officials called it in screaming on the radio and she's usually very level headed...

I don't recall 100 caution laps, plenty of cautions though, and for me as a photographer they are a good thing as they bunch the cars back up for me :D

WEEZER
07-31-2011, 02:48 PM
I'm glad somebody started this so I would'nt look like the only %ick.
Let's start with why was'nt there any hot laps before the 200 only to have a wreck on lap one with a red light.
Before that it was the BB and Chargers with TT line ups which made for the most part boring races. How many times can you watch the 00 bb or the 81 charger dominate a race? My hats off to them, good drivers etc but not fun for the fans.
It was great to see the track packed like that, it's good for the future of racing on L. I. but running out of beer is one thing but when you run out of water??? Run out of WATER?????
I mean are you ****ing kiddin me, when the consession stand realizes your down to the last 10 bottles of poland spring, a light does'nt go off and thinks to send somebody down to 7-11 and stock up, and this was only at lap 110 of the race.

But it only got better when the young lady said to me "I can give you a cup of water" Fine I thought, but them she said I had to pay for.
Are you REALLY F&CKIN KIDDING ME?????? You mis manage and as a courtesy, you could'nt give me a cup of water for my son!!!! He has special needs and can't drink gatorade or soda so I refilled his water bottle in the bathroom.
After the last red flag I left along with a friend whom has never been to RH before and now probably never will again.
I've been going to RH for over 20 yrs and love AND tolerate all the BS but last night was the icing on the cake.

T_BONE
07-31-2011, 09:42 PM
Great race! Bad beer shack !! The best beer shack i saw was in n.c. At ace speedway you buy a six pack of cans and they put it in a ziplock bag with ice!!!

greggforce01
07-31-2011, 10:42 PM
Heard they ran out of beer, didn't hear they ran out of water....both are embarrassing. They should have been expecting the largest crowd ever with the mod race and the fact that the raceway had advertisements up the wazoo. TERRIBLE

As for your comments about the repeat winners of the BB and CH races, I'm not going to deny that they win a lot, but I give both a lot of credit, they obviously put a lot of work into their cars and it shows. You only get what you put into things. Congrats to all the winners saturday night, especially in that heat, they must have been dying.

TTOR
07-31-2011, 11:45 PM
it was the BB and Chargers with TT line ups which made for the most part boring races. How many times can you watch the 00 bb or the 81 charger dominate a race? My hats off to them, good drivers etc but not fun for the fans.

I was thinking the same thing. I understand the point of Time Trial events from the drivers standpoint but the second I saw the #00 roll out first I knew it was going to be a lack-luster race, even though Scott made a good run at it near the end. Some of the most exciting moments at Riverhead come from watching guys like Walkowiak and Turbush weave their way through the field. Maybe next time don't run two time trial races in the same day.

As for the Beer and Water thing, It's disappointing but not all that surprising. I've been at many other sporting events where food or drinks had run dry, including Daytona. The water was bad especially on a hot summer night, but all in all I'd rather be complaining about the Track running out of beer and water than complaining about empty grandstands. And yes the race was caution filled but I've certainly seen worse, at least the caution procedure was much more orderly than last weekend during the 77 lapper, and the race for the win was actually pretty exciting.

RacinRob
08-01-2011, 12:22 AM
I think if the time trial shows weren't a redraw it'd be better. Tommy qualified 5th and if his car was fastest it would've made it more of a challenge. Tom pickerell wouldn't have got shuffled to tenth if he started on the pole either. JMO, great clean race by all BB guys this week. A pleasure to race with you guys.

RACENUT
08-01-2011, 01:10 PM
i always said time trial shows are a very boring race for the fans to watch. its alot better to watch the faster cars come from the back, although the back isnt that far back anymore with only 10 - 14 cars in chargers and 15 -20 cars in blunderbust but its still alot better then starting the fastest cars up front.

rrealto
08-02-2011, 07:26 AM
Maybe they ran out because of the ONE HOUR intermission. Who does that. Brilliant planning. Or maybe that was the plan.
Could have easily run one more division and started at the same time.
Might be time to fix the PA system for good. Little shameful that we cannot get the National Anthem right week after week.
Great job by Chargers and blunderbusts.
Someone needs to tell Finan the Smokey stuff is getting very old. The fans are not enjoying it. Maybe talk about racing a bit more.

greggforce01
08-02-2011, 11:08 AM
Ditto on the hour long intermission, same thing happened July 4th. Why not have more divisions run so the fans don't get bored?

limodmaniac
08-02-2011, 11:33 AM
Ditto on the hour long intermission, same thing happened July 4th. Why not have more divisions run so the fans don't get bored?

The tour was scheduled to run a heat at 630, driver autographs at 730 and feature at 830. Nascar won't change that unless weather is an issue. Cant give any explanation about the beer or water.. I know I wanted a water badly and settled for icecream.

Teds Race Tours
08-02-2011, 11:41 AM

Thats really Not an intermission per se(I'm Talking Tour Race, not about July 4th). Like LIMM says, you have the Autograph Session, and On Track Introductions for the biggest race of the year. Alot of Money was raised for this event, and these things fill out the big event feel to it. if you added another division, you'd just make the night longer as these events would still be scheduled when there is nothing on the track.

art11758
08-02-2011, 01:46 PM
Ran out of beer and water did they? I guess that means people were buying it. Which is good for the track. I think. I don't understand event planning either, but I personally bring my own (free, from the tap with ice in it, in a Igloo jug)and don't worry about them running out. Just a thought for some of you for next time.

Ka$h25
08-04-2011, 01:53 AM
Definitely should have been better prepared. We knew we were in for a hot day and a big crowd, no surprises, no excuses.

I have no complaint about the intermission other than it would be much cooler if they did it on the track like some other venues have done.

And you can't control the race. There were a lot of cautions but it was a great race when it was green. Riverhead guys were really impressive this year, great runs by JB, Brode, Dave and Shawn.

MSK27
08-04-2011, 08:53 AM
Isn't there a new vender?This would be the first Tour show for him.Just saying.