PDA

View Full Version : Frantz Scores First Career Sport Modified Win

LongIslandJam
08-22-2011, 06:16 PM
The Frantz name returned to modified victory lane for the first time in nearly a decade as Paul Frantz drove to his first career Sport Modified victory Saturday night at Mountain Speedway.

After being rained out for several weeks, the Frantz Racing Team was eager to get back to the track. Practice didn't go as well as Paul hoped. The car wasn't handling quite to his liking, but he made some adjustments for the heat race. Paul started third with the Associated Chiropractic/Haines Exxon #10. He quickly moved to second where he ran until giving the spot up with two laps to go settling for a third place finish. "I had no grip what so ever. I couldn't get back to the gas until I was on the straight away": stated Frantz.

Paul would start fifth for the 40 lap feature. On lap five, he had to check up to avoid the spinning Pat Verwys causing him to lose a few positions. Paul lined up eighth on the lap five restart. Going into turn three, contact between point leader Dave Brigati and Barry Callavini sent Callavini up the track. Paul stopped but was hit hard from behind by Dean Ficarro turning the S & D Bodyline/Himmer Graphics car completely around and on top of the Callavini car. Paul surveyed the damage and saw that is was mostly cosmetic and possibly a flat left rear tire. The track crew worked carefully to get the cars apart, allowing Paul to drive to the pits for repair.

The crew checked over the Brian's Auto Body/Orefield Auto Parts car, and re-inflated the left rear tire. Paul restarted eighth and slowly started to move toward the front of the field. He battled hard for sixth with Barry Callavini for twenty laps until a caution flew for the front runners. The next restart was the turning point of the race. Paul passed Callavini exiting turn two, then immediately dove under second place Geary Rinehimer. As the field came out of turn four to complete lap twenty-eight, Frantz looked under race leader Chip Wannamaker. Just as he was making the pass for the lead the caution waved again. Having some mechanical troubles, Wannamaker pitted giving Frantz the lead.

Paul led the field over the last thirteen laps holding off the challenges of point leader Dave Brigati and Chip Wannamaker scoring his first career Sport Modified win. "I thought the night was over when I got hit in that wreck. I couldn't believe how little damage there seemed to be. The guys did a great job getting me back out. Shaun Burd, Barry Batz, and the Verwys and Schlenker teams helped a lot. I knew we could win with this car. I just wish my family was here to be a part of it tonight".

Next up for the Frantz Racing Team is Thursday September 1st. Paul will be appearing on RCN for a live show from 6-7:00 pm at the Allentown Fair. Following that, is Sunday September 4th at Mountain Speedway where Paul's dad Russ will be piloting the Morgantini Racing Engines #10.

For more information, go to www.frantzracing10.com.