PDA

View Full Version : Great Race @ Delaware

MOD11RACER
09-05-2011, 12:03 PM
First I would like to say Thank You to Delaware Speedway for hosting the WMT and I look forward to going back in 2012.

The Canadian Fans were just great with so much enthusiasm and optimism about the race with the Modifieds at Delaware Speedway. The American fans sure could take a few pointers from our neighbors from the North.

The Track is not 4 Hours from the border. It's less than 2 1/2 Hours from the border.

The Canadian Fans had two of their own to cheer for with D.J. Kennington and Cole Powell running Modifieds for the first time. Cole Powell will run the WMT full time in 2012.

Delaware looks and races like a short track, but bigger @ a half mile. It's a 1/2 mile Riverhead Raceway. It's the best of both worlds.

The race was one of the best of 2012. Lots of passing. Two grooves. Side by side racing. Passing high and low. A ton of action. Drivers mad at each other. A Modified fans dream of a race.

A lot of the Canadian fans I talked to said they never saw two grooves at Delaware Speedway before and the Modifieds used the two grooves and then some. With 3 wide passes on the tight 1/2 mile track.

I know the crying already started about a month ago about this race with two of the biggist crybaby's skipping this race. Remember how many tracks we passed on our way to the Canadian track that are not interested in running the Modifieds anymore. If they run the Modifieds they do not want to pay them anything. There was crying after the race from some of the Tour Teams, but if you look at the rundown the ones that didn't run well are crying the loudest. I didn't see any crying about traveling 12 hours to Martinsville and racing in front of 500 people. We can't run Stafford every week and watch follow the leader with no passing.

This is a new venue and Modified racing needs new venues. Every Modified team out there should be supporting any new venue that we have and any fan base and track that will have us. After watching the race @ Delaware all I could think about is rough and tumble Lancaster Speedway. What a great WMT race we could have at that Speedway. Can anyone make that happen ?

A big Thank You to Delaware Speedway, all of the Canadian fans, Whelen, all of the Modified Teams, Owners, Drivers and Crew members for supporting this race. I look for this race to become an annual event on the WMT schedule. It was a great day and a GREAT RACE.

Sluggo44
09-05-2011, 12:19 PM
I'd like to see that race on YouTube as soon as it becomes availible. You are absolutely right when you say the Mod Tour could use some new venues...especially to expand the fan base!

stoningtonmodmania
09-05-2011, 06:23 PM
i for one must say that the race was great looking at it on paper might look like a snooze fest but in all reality the racing was awsome 2 groves 3 wide passes drivers coming from the back to the front better then all the stafford races and most of the races this year... all of the canadian fans i talked to were amazed by the action the modifieds put on.. i for one hope the mods are back in canada next year... i say the modifieds made hundreds of new fans up nortg.

NWMT PR
09-05-2011, 10:26 PM
Here's a link to the local point of view, the London Free Press column about the event, which includes some quotes from NASCAR and Whelen about how we ended up there in the first place. http://www.lfpress.com/sports/autos/2011/09/05/18642821.html

What stood out to me, other than the significant fan interest, was that the drivers I talked to all enjoyed the track. Ron Silk said in Victory Lane it was one of the most fun races he has ever run. He talked further about it today on MRN Motorsports Monday, which you can listen to here: http://tinyurl.com/3n5b9q5. His interview is about three-quarters of the way through the show.

Jamie Tomaino also said he signed more autograph cards Sunday that he had at any point this year. The interest is certainly there, and as you modified fans know, it will only grow now that they've been exposed to it.

holleratme
09-06-2011, 06:17 AM
Great time in Canada great fans. Promoter/owner came and spoke to teams. Clean facilities. Hope we go back

NC Mudcat
09-06-2011, 08:38 AM
.......I didn't see any crying about traveling 12 hours to Martinsville and racing in front of 500 people......... Quite possible because that has never happened.

Revscott
09-06-2011, 03:08 PM
Quite possible because that has never happened.

Your right that number may be very high for the amount of people that were there last year. Martinsville never even advertised it and most of the local population never even knew there was a race last year. They wanted out of the mods and it worked with no one in the stands.

JWfor8x
09-06-2011, 03:39 PM
Here's a link to the local point of view, the London Free Press column about the event, which includes some quotes from NASCAR and Whelen about how we ended up there in the first place. http://www.lfpress.com/sports/autos/2011/09/05/18642821.html

What stood out to me, other than the significant fan interest, was that the drivers I talked to all enjoyed the track. Ron Silk said in Victory Lane it was one of the most fun races he has ever run. He talked further about it today on MRN Motorsports Monday, which you can listen to here: http://tinyurl.com/3n5b9q5. His interview is about three-quarters of the way through the show.

Jamie Tomaino also said he signed more autograph cards Sunday that he had at any point this year. The interest is certainly there, and as you modified fans know, it will only grow now that they've been exposed to it.

Thanks for linking the article from the London Free Press. Hopefully the tour can return there on an annual basis. Maybe next time, there can be some tv exposure for the event and some others too, for that matter.

Chris
09-06-2011, 08:08 PM
I was quite impressed with Delaware speedway. The drive from New York City was not too bad. Customs in Canada was easy and coming back into the USA was about 30 minutes even with them X-raying my car. I was susprised at the large crowd, considering the overcast skies and rain. Those Canadian fans are troopers. The speedway is well kept. I love the grass hills to relax on. Next time I'll bring my folding chair. Each time a driver would ask if they wanted to see them again the crowd roared to life. this will become a yearly trip for me.

Fred Wilcox
09-07-2011, 12:12 PM
Let me join the Delaware Speedway love fest.

I thoroughly enjoyed my visit there. The facilities were very good, the Canadian fans were wonderful and appreciate, and the racing was tight given the number of double file restarts. Frankly, I could not believe the amount of bumping and banging that was going on as the drivers worked to gain and/or maintain position.

The rumor is that the Tour will return next year but on a different date. I will be sure to return as well.