PDA

View Full Version : Don King Racing Done?

bud
09-17-2011, 07:53 PM
Say It Isnt So!

Jaws
09-18-2011, 10:59 AM
That has been the rumor for a while.

Goldy
09-23-2011, 11:19 PM
Good discussion on the Shawn blog (http://blogs.courant.com/autoracing/2011/09/examining-the-ever-shrinking-w.html#comments) about the low car count, the cost, etc.. Love him or hate him, Goodfella brings up solid and well thought points (esp. on the low purses and 1 day shows!!!)

Don's folding up shop is a direct result of the costs to run this tour. I've spoken to Don over the years, but I really don't know what makes him tick - is it WMT racing or just racing? if its just racing, I hope we can see that 28 on the VMRS or as a weekly SK somewhere..

I hope options allow Don to continue; scale down to 1 car and or step away from the tour that is just too expensive to run - and race..
Best of luck to Woody and Don tomorrow in what could be their last ride, could be a real dark horse tomorrow and what a story that would be. I'll be pulling for ya.

MOD11RACER
09-25-2011, 05:44 PM
If you read the Shawn Blog, it says King is returning full time in 2012. Is that a mistake ? Is he returning or not ?

I was told King has retired from his job that funds the race team and that is why they will no longer run a Modified.

From The Shawn Blog:

"King said last week that he would likely skip the final two events of the 2011 season and that he would return to the series with a full-time operation in 2012"

catfish
09-26-2011, 10:58 AM
Actually YOU mod11racer need to reread the blog because this is what it actually says "King said last week that he would likely skip the final two events of the 2011 season and that he would NOT return to the series with a full-time operation in 2012."

MOD11RACER
09-26-2011, 07:00 PM
Actually YOU mod11racer need to reread the blog because this is what it actually says "King said last week that he would likely skip the final two events of the 2011 season and that he would NOT return to the series with a full-time operation in 2012."

Hey Catfish: That quote was copied directly from Shawns Blog on 9/25/2011. Shawn almighty must have changed his mistake !!! I didn't write it Shawn did.

Bobby1717
09-26-2011, 07:14 PM
I read that to MOD11RACER

MOD11RACER
09-26-2011, 07:47 PM
I read that to MOD11RACER

I'm glad someone else besides me actually reads the blog before running their mouth or should I say their fingers on the fact of what is really written. Shawn get it right will you.

catfish
09-26-2011, 07:47 PM
My bad then, sorry Mod.

ShawnCourchesne
09-26-2011, 08:35 PM
Mod11 race, it's called a typo ok. I apologize to you for ruining your day, clearly it's angered you to the point where you have to come on here and chastise me for it. My bad.
By the way, why do you even read it? Is someone putting a gun to your head. You just come on here and tell the world what a terrible job I do covering the series and how everything I write is incorrect.
Hey, how about this, since my reporting is so terrible as you've said multiple times now, how about you go get your Whelen Modified Tour news from one of the other dozens and dozens of daily newspapers that still take the time to cover the series, much less even aknowledge that the Whelen Modified Tour still exists.
Oh wait, there aren't any others left

CuriousGeorge
09-26-2011, 09:46 PM
:lol::lol::lol:

Sicklajoie
09-26-2011, 09:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og7-6YubuS4

MOD11RACER
09-27-2011, 12:20 AM
Mod11 race, it's called a typo ok. I apologize to you for ruining your day, clearly it's angered you to the point where you have to come on here and chastise me for it. My bad.
By the way, why do you even read it? Is someone putting a gun to your head. You just come on here and tell the world what a terrible job I do covering the series and how everything I write is incorrect.
Hey, how about this, since my reporting is so terrible as you've said multiple times now, how about you go get your Whelen Modified Tour news from one of the other dozens and dozens of daily newspapers that still take the time to cover the series, much less even aknowledge that the Whelen Modified Tour still exists.

Shawn short fuse ?

Shawn: No newspapers, no problem, we have you to infrom us on all of of Touring needs. I know in my confused world I depend on every word you write. LOL

I get so confused so easily. First a blog says one thing and then it says something else. What am I suppose to do when I get accused of not reading the blog ? Shawn maybe you should have or could have said it was a typo a little sooner. That way I wouldn't be so confused. LOL

Sorry Shawn for hurting your feelings, but your a big boy writing for a big newspaper and I think you will get over it. LOL I was trying to point out to Catfish that I did not write that line, I only copied it from your blog.

Acadia
09-27-2011, 03:17 PM
Shawn, it happens all too frequently. I don't even bother bringing it to your attention. Please have your editor proof before you post. I didn't let my kids hand in homework looking like that.

Just because you might be the last daily paper to cover this sport doesn't mean you can be crap. It means the future of your daily paper is limited. You should't be so arrogant and belligerent about it. People are trying to help you, and you clearly need help.

I recommend you be genuinely thankful and appreciative the next time someone brings an error of yours to your attention.

ShawnCourchesne
09-27-2011, 05:41 PM
Acadia,
Maybe I should have been more clear. My issue wasn't with Mod11 pointing out a typo. Yeah, we make a mistakes and I have no problem with people pointing them out. It's not like it used to be when we filed one story a day for a newspaper edition that came out the next day. We don't have a copy editor reading every word we write these days, and we write probably 10 times more than we did five years ago. Everything is done without a safety net, on the fly, in a rush to get the news out as fast as possible. We're all doing more than we have ever been asked to do, and to do it continually faster. It's the nature of what the business has become unfortunately. No, I have no issues with that being pointed out by someone, I really don't.
And no, I'm not being arrogant about someone pointing out I had a typo. I'm being angry over someone continually using this forum to say I don't know how to do my job or saying that I don't put in the effort to cover the series well. And someone who uses the forum to take personal shots at me, that have nothing to do with my job or racing. Obviously it's something that flies here, and that's fine, but I'll defend myself. Eventually, after you read the stuff over and over from the same person, you defend yourself.
Yes, we're the last newspaper covering the Whelen Modified Tour with any regularity and yes I take pride in that fact. I don't do the racing blog because I get paid any extra, but understand this, I don't do it because anyone at the Courant is pushing me to do it. Trust this, if I stopped doing it tomorrow, there's very little chance the editors at the paper would have any issue with that. So yes, I'll feel the need to defend myself to the person who continually claims I don't know how to do my job and uses this place to lob personal insults at me. Like I said, if I'm so terrible at covering the series, then Mod11 should turn to another media outlet that does a better job covering the series, it's not that complicated. Or, he can just do it himself if he's such an expert on journalism and how it should be practiced.

Rabbit504
09-27-2011, 06:23 PM
Let's all just be friends!!
Lord knows I'm not prefect.